PDA

View Full Version : Marvelettes Complete Motown Albums Vol. 2 release date?

test

vcq
09-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Has there been any news as to a release date on the sequel to Hip-O Select's Forever: The Complete Motown Albums Vol. 1 by the Marvelettes? Wikipedia states "Vol. 2 is scheduled for release in 2010 or 2011." I'm listening to I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can, and I'm ready for more post-1966 Marvelettes goodness!

Thanks,

VCQ

copley
09-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Soon, I'm told soon!

dickiemint
10-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Mr Weinger,
has the Marvelettes Vol 2 been pushed back until April 2011 too?

carlo
10-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I would prefer not to know!! lol. Seriously. I would rather not find out about proposed release dates and delays. When it's ready for pre-order on the website, just let us know. I just get disappointed time and time again when I hear stuff like this. I know we keep hearing it's gonna be awesome and worth the wait...and I'm sure it will be. But I would rather have total silence than getting my hopes up and then being let down...ya know? :) April 2011 could very easily come and go with no releases at all. As mentioned by HW, it sounds like the release dates are out of their control...so there's not much point to asking "when". When it happens, it happens.

copley
10-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Harry has just informed me that the Marvelettes Vol 2 won't be issued until the first half of 2011. So I'll have all 'my girls' to look forward to next year.

mrlonleyheart
10-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Ohoh this is hard for me I must be patient, waiting waiting and waiting, for me personally the Marvelettes Vol. 2 are more important then the Final Sessions of The Supremes

Kamasu_Jr
10-02-2010, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=carlo;10311]I would prefer not to know!! lol. Seriously. I would rather not find out about proposed release dates and delays. When it's ready for pre-order on the website, just let us know. I just get disappointed time and time again when I hear stuff like this. I know we keep hearing it's gonna be awesome and worth the wait...and I'm sure it will be. But I would rather have total silence than getting my hopes up and then being let down...ya know? :) April 2011 could very easily come and go with no releases at all. As mentioned by HW, it sounds like the release dates are out of their control...so there's not much point to asking "when". When it happens, it happens."
[

I'm the same way. When it's released, I'll be all right. I already know what much of the set will sound like. I hope HW and crew have not forgotten to include the alternate version of "I'm Gonna Hold On..." with the piano intro.

keith_hughes
10-06-2010, 07:48 AM
uh, just remind me which album/CD that alt appeared on, Kamasu!

midnight johnny
10-06-2010, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=carlo;10311] happens, it happens."
[

I'm the same way. When it's released, I'll be all right. I already know what much of the set will sound like. I hope HW and crew have not forgotten to include the alternate version of "I'm Gonna Hold On..." with the piano intro.

Kamasu..VERY good point....glad you mentioned it!
John

copley
10-06-2010, 09:30 AM
It's on the US stereo album version of 'Sophisticated Soul'.

snakepit
10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm sure it was on my UK LP....don't know about momo/stereo, but I had a UK album, and I remember being surprised and disapointed upon buying the US 45.

Motown_M_1056
10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
uh, just remind me which album/CD that alt appeared on, Kamasu!

I heard the alternate intro for I'm Gonna Hold On....on a foreign Marvelette's Hits LP from the UK.

midnight johnny
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
It's on the US stereo album version of 'Sophisticated Soul'.

copley....nope....not on the US stereo album version.

hwume
10-06-2010, 11:55 PM
someone please let me know for sure.

snakepit
10-07-2010, 09:23 AM
It was on a UK Sophisticated Soul LP.............I had it!!

westgrandboulevard
10-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes, it's certainly on at least the stereo version of the UK "Sophisticated Soul" LP.......and I still have mine!

I could be wrong, but I'm not inclined to call it an 'alternate version' though...the US 45 appears to be an edited version in mono of that stereo album track, particularly the intro.....

Can't comment on how the track sounded on the mono version of UK "Sophisticated Soul" LP....never had it, but assume there was indeed a mono version....?

kenneth
12-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Yes, it's certainly on at least the stereo version of the UK "Sophisticated Soul" LP.......and I still have mine!

I could be wrong, but I'm not inclined to call it an 'alternate version' though...the US 45 appears to be an edited version in mono of that stereo album track, particularly the intro.....

Can't comment on how the track sounded on the mono version of UK "Sophisticated Soul" LP....never had it, but assume there was indeed a mono version....?

In the US, there was a Mono version of the "Sophisticated Soul" LP, intended for DJs only. Where the "Stereo" appears at the top of the album cover, is a small sticker which says something like "Monaural - DJ Copy". This would have been during the transitional period when many radio stations did not yet broadcast in Stereo. Many of the Motown LPs from '68 had similar DJ-only releases.

kenneth
12-12-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm sure it wouldn't be overlooked, but I hope the new Marvelettes set has both version of "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game." On the Mono version of the "pink album," the song had the additional several line intro to the second verse, although the single hit version [[which of course would have been Mono at the time) and the Stereo album had the more popular version without the extra intro to the second verse.

jboy88
12-13-2010, 12:53 AM
I remember hearing that version on aol radio years ago! It may be on the 20th century master comp from years ago. But I'm waiting on the last two albums they did.

kenneth
12-13-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree...I am hoping there are many unreleased sides from the later LP time frames. I'm wondering though if the vaults have much left from the "In Full Bloom" and "Return" sessions, since "Return" repeated two tracks from the "Full Bloom" LP. Hopefully, there's still others to be found with Wanda on lead. Her voice was in great form then and those albums really went beyond the usual Marvelettes, or even Motown, sound.

johnny_raven
07-10-2011, 09:19 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/hiposelect

@HipOSelect
Hip-OSelect.com
@hughesbear yes- more Marvelettes are planned- watch this space!
6 Jul via web

Jimi LaLumia
07-10-2011, 11:45 PM
it was stated elsewhere here, recently, Nov.2011 for vol.2

144man
07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't think I can wait that long.

marybrewster
07-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I'd still like to pick up Vol. 1; does anyone know who has it at the best price [[US)?

nabob
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
. . . . . but I hope the new Marvelettes set has both versions of "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game." On the Mono version of the "pink album," the song had the additional several line intro to the second verse, although the single hit version [[which of course would have been Mono at the time) and the Stereo album had the more popular version without the extra intro to the second verse.The stereo version with the extra verse first appeared on the "Yellow/Gold" Anthology from 1975 and next [?] on the Millenium CD collection. Unfortunately, this version has an early fade. Hopefully, Volume 2 will include the longer ending to the studio band's final fade.

vcq
07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd still like to pick up Vol. 1; does anyone know who has it at the best price [[US)?

Wow, it's apparently out of print and going for $100 new from Amazon Marketplace sellers...

Jimi LaLumia
07-11-2011, 07:09 PM
just checked the Hip-O select site and Vol.1 is apparently still available, don't know how many or how few are left..

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=07D15B68-4D08-46C3-85C4-881D28AA0648&cat_id=9BE6C651-2C04-4F9B-A867-99626310086F

jack020
07-12-2011, 03:08 AM
http://www.spincds.com/forever-the-complete-motown-albums-vol-1-3cd

soulmanray
10-19-2011, 05:09 PM
http://musictap.net/2011/10/19/tapsheet-release-notes-10192011/

Marvelettes - Forever More: The Complete Motown Albums, Volume 2 December 13th 2011

RossHolloway
10-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Can't wait! I hope everyone gets behind this release as well and put a lot of pre-orders on the books to let UM know that there is still an excited market for these types of projects.

mr_postman
10-29-2011, 10:00 AM
No tracklisting yet, but Amazon.com has it up for pre-order. I'm sure the price will come down some before the release date, unless it'll have more than three discs.

Link:http://www.amazon.com/Vol-2-Forever-More-Complete-Motown/dp/B005ZHB94Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319896186&sr=8-1

johnjeb
10-29-2011, 10:15 AM
So if it's Dec 13 for Amazon I hope it means an earlier date for a Hip-O release. I would like to add it to my Christmas List or my Dec 12 birthday list.

I do get annoyed at all these releases late in the year. Yes it's good for those who wish to add it to their Christmas wants. However with my birthday and Christmas just around the corner, family members often get annoyed that I make these kind of purchases so close to the holidays.

I was scolded for ordering More Hits, so I put the 50th on my List and I will do the same for The Marvelettes. The frustration is that many times I have not received something I really wanted. I'm fortunate that, at 62, I can buy these things on my own but I hate having to wait like a 12 year-old for someone to possibly get it for me. Sigh, just keeping those near and dear to me happy - grrrrrr. lol

tomato tom
10-29-2011, 03:19 PM
That means we wont get it here in the UK in time for Christmas..Damn