PDA

View Full Version : Meet The Supremes is 50 Years old.

test

dba
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Meet The Supremes was released on December 9th 1962.5723

Not my favorite album [[it has after the expanded edition, grown on me) but certainly an auspicious beginning.

marybrewster
12-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Gordy certainly saw a spark in Ross, Wilson and Ballard; I'd venture to say if this was released in the industry today, with it's dismal chart performance and underachieving singles, the Supremes would have been dropped faster than a hot potato.

hwume
12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
The subject of a BBC documentary this week - and sorry, this duplicates another thread but here is the link anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p6rwy

motony
12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
"Let Me Go The Right Way" & "Time Changes Things" have always been among my favorite Supremes records. I also liked "You Bring Back Memories" .

R. Mark Desjardins
12-11-2012, 02:53 AM
"Meet The Supremes" is revelatory in that it fully exposes the raw, hungry passion of the original trio and soon to be gone member. While one could not consider the Supremes the first female garage vocal group, the fire and ice emitting from Diana Ross' vocals as evidenced in "Too Hot" included in the expanded edition of their first album, are steamy indeed, and hint at the inferno that future fine tuning at the hands of writing and production team Holland-Dozier-Holland would unleash.

The steely determination of a young Diana Ross is fully captured in her live lead vocals of "Run, Run, Run","Let Me Go The Right Way", and "Your Heart Belongs To Me".

When these seminal recordings were re-released with a new cover in 1965, fans of the HDH made over group may have been startled at the raw edgy energy of these first recording sessions, and even Mary Wilson has reflected that "these songs sound better than I remembered."

captainjames
12-17-2012, 11:17 AM
OMG this LP is 50 years old ? Time Changes Things its true. I remember the first time I heard this LP and I was kind of like WT^%% ?? "Your Heart Belongs To Me" and the song that Barbara use to sing lead on were my favorites. In fact I am sure that there has to be that Barbara lead song in the can somewhere.

johnjeb
12-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I bought this album [[2nd cover) in early 1966 and I've always loved it. It was my 5th Supremes album.

Soon thereafter I purchased Liverpool, Sam Cooke, CWP, Apollo and Live in Paris. I had them all, now I could relax. Then A' Go-Go was released!

Of course I was buying the new singles as they were issued, as well. I even found a WDOLG picture sleeve in 1966. I bought Come See About Me in late 1966 to have the flip Always In My Heart which wasn't on an album. Then, what do you know, they put it on HDH in early 1967.

smark21
12-17-2012, 09:14 PM
OMG this LP is 50 years old ? Time Changes Things its true. I remember the first time I heard this LP and I was kind of like WT^%% ?? "Your Heart Belongs To Me" and the song that Barbara use to sing lead on were my favorites. In fact I am sure that there has to be that Barbara lead song in the can somewhere.

Barbara does the spoken word verse on He’s Seventeen that’s on Meet the Supremes.

captainjames
12-18-2012, 11:37 AM
"He's Seventeen", yeah that is it !!! I believe if memory serves me correctly it is the only song that Barbara use to sing lead on not just the spoken verse. However, by the time it was time to record it Diana had the better voice for it. Barbara was a very pretty girl but not a real good singer.

arrr&bee
12-19-2012, 01:27 PM
My fav supremes album cover,before the wigs check it out!!

R. Mark Desjardins
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Back in September of 1979 on an extended trip to Los Angeles, I discovered a huge record warehouse called AAA-1 Record Finders on Melrose Avenue. I went searching through their incredible record shelf stacks and came across the original Meet The Supremes vinyl record, but at $50 it was way too much money for me to part with at the time. Boy, to be able to go back for an hour in a time warp!

I remember being taken aback that there was a song title I wasn't familiar with entitled, "The Boy That Got Away." I searched for a similar cover for decades in vain, and then when the eBay revolution happened, I discovered that some of the red stool record jackets had the song printed on the cover, but the record label had a different song in its place. When the second issue with the white cover was released, the track listing on the back was updated. Of course now with the Hip-O select expanded version CD available, it is once again available.

supremester
12-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I too, was like "WTF????" when I first played it. I was hoping for another More Hits or WDOLG. I was horrified and rarely played it. Then a few years later, I want A Guy appeared on The Anthology and I recalled enjoying SOMETHING on Meet, so I dusted it off and it slowly became among my fave of Ross' entire career. I now play it hourly, occasionally skipping I Want A Guy, Buttered Popcorn and Your Heart Belongs To Me. What a showcase it is for a 16 year old Ross "Go Go Go, don'tcha know know know..." , Time Changes Things, Play A Sad Song, Who's Lovin You, You Bring Back Memories all are glimpses into the amazingly versatile vocalist that was ready to explode. I think the B-sides had better pop potential, but I'm Surprised Buttered Popcorn didn't do better R&B wise. I think Time Changes Things and You Bring Back Memories both could have succeeded into top 40 contenders.

I would love to hear a Barbara lead, but with so few tracks on Flo & Mary, maybe there are none of Babs.

marv2
12-19-2012, 08:25 PM
50 years huh? Wow, where does the time go? LOL! Favorities songs from this album were "Baby Don't Go" [[Mary Wilson lead) and "Buttered Popcorn" [[Florence Ballard). I have two copies of the original pressing and one copy of the 1965 faces cover.