PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye's Little Darling....

test

ron
12-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I understand that this is one of those tracks where the mono and stereo 'released' versions differ - the mono version has the strings prominent whereas the stereo version does not.

I've been racking my tiny mind recently as I seem to remember that the mono/strings version had been issued in stereo on a box set a few years back. However, no matter how hard I search I cannot find it. I don't think I imagined this, but of course at my time of life you never know....

Can anyone PLEASE help me and confirm one way or the other????

Thanks so much!

snakepit
12-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Ha Ha. I had to have a chuckle at this post

I remember many years ago, when collecting UK TMG 45s, I was after "Little Darling" which was without strings , and whilst I wanted the 'number' for my set, I referred that version to the USA Tamla 45 which I had.[[which sounded flat to me)
A lady friend had the UK 45 and I remember putting pressure on her to swap, and I recall 'explaining' to her that the USA 45 was better "because it had strings".....I now feel ashamed at my skullduggery.........however I did eventually get engaged to said lady friend, but not because of her record collection.
Didn't last........

midnightman
12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
It's interesting the UK version released the one with no strings while we had the string-laden version in the US. :) The mono one is featured on the anthology set. Don't know about the stereo version though if Moods of Marvin Gaye was re-released, it'll probably feature the studio version.

roger
12-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Well . I never owned anything apart from the [[imported) Tamla 45 ..but you-tube reveals this ..

With strings ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzC9Pe7Vkoc

Without strings ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vB73TQo0Rc

Not sure which version was on the "B" of "Save The Children" on TMG 796 in 1971!!

Roger

westgrandboulevard
12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Have I got this right...

Here in the UK, the mono and stereo album versions of "Moods of Marvin Gaye" matched - ie both versions without strings...?

But, in the US, the mono album was the same as the single [[with strings), but the stereo was the same as the UK stereo...??

I'm in the UK, and assumed in the day that the track without strings was the only one available.

I can only now find the strings version on 'The Master' box set, in mono - don't recall ever hearing it in stereo, but would be interested....:)

ron
12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm glad to see that this question has created a bit of a interest...

Referring to CD's only, Little Darling appears on 7 different albums in my collection.
Three are in mono [[TCMS, The Master, Best of) - all are the 'strings' version.
Four are in stereo [[ Anthology, Early Classics, Moods of, Motown The History - The Love Songs) - all are without strings.

I seem to remember reading a review - possibly 'The Complete Introduction to Northern Soul' - which made heavy play of the fact that this included the only stereo 'strings' version to date. This set is available to download on a number of sites but to my ears the sample track[[s) is in mono [[ie. the 'standard mono strings' version) rather than stereo. Can anybody confirm this, or otherwise?

The responses so far unfortunately now encourage me to ask a second question - is there a MONO version without strings available anywhere on CD ????? !!!!!

I'm really sorry about this folks, but I must admit to having an avid interest in alternate versions, something I personally find totally fascinating and have spent hours researching. Apologies if its 'not your cup of tea' [[yep, I'm in the UK).

bradsupremes
12-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I have always loved this song and surprised it wasn't a big hit. This is one song that I would love for Universal to do a beautiful new mix in stereo with strings. I never cared for the stereo version without strings. It sounds unfinished to me.

I would also love for a new mix of the Marvelettes' "I'll Keep Holding On" in stereo that packs the punch as the mono version too. The stereo version that does exist lacks the gusto of the mono mix.

bradburger
12-08-2012, 08:52 PM
To my knowledge, no stereo mix of LDINY exists with strings.

I seem to remember reading a review - possibly 'The Complete Introduction to Northern Soul' - which made heavy play of the fact that this included the only stereo 'strings' version to date. This set is available to download on a number of sites but to my ears the sample track[[s) is in mono [[ie. the 'standard mono strings' version) rather than stereo. Can anybody confirm this, or otherwise?

I'm really sorry about this folks, but I must admit to having an avid interest in alternate versions, something I personally find totally fascinating and have spent hours researching. Apologies if its 'not your cup of tea' [[yep, I'm in the UK).

I seem to recall that quote too! But the sample from this set up on Amazon UK is, as you say, the US 45 mix - in mono.

Having said that [[and as many have probably discovered), some sites will often use a sample from a different CD rather than one from the actual CD they are advertising, thus making things more confusing, and also rather annoying!

Maybe someone with this set can confirm.

The responses so far unfortunately now encourage me to ask a second question - is there a MONO version without strings available anywhere on CD ????? !!!!!

I've often wondered if the mix used for the UK 45 was actually the stereo L.P mix folded down, something that seemed to happen quite a bit with the UK 45's.

No need to worry. There are plenty of others here who are interested in alternate mixes!

I do agree with Bradsupremes - it would be nice to hear a stereo mix with the strings. I wonder if an original stereo mix with strings exists in the Motown tape vault?

Cheers

Paul

Sotosound
12-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Well . I never owned anything apart from the [[imported) Tamla 45 ..but you-tube reveals this ..

With strings ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzC9Pe7Vkoc

Without strings ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vB73TQo0Rc

Not sure which version was on the "B" of "Save The Children" on TMG 796 in 1971!!

Roger

The B-side of "Save The Children" had the stereo mix without strings.

westgrandboulevard
01-23-2016, 05:32 AM
Thought this thread might make interesting reading, now that theboyfromxtown has posted that great clip of Marvin singing 'Little Darling'.....

snakepit
01-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks for bumping this old thread , as I was going to re-tell my tale about 'tricking' my girlfriend into swapping 45s. [[still ashamed at that lol)
Always prefer to hear the version without strings.....I need to look at my collection as I have it on numerous sets......alas no longer on UK TMG.

Incidentally, in my first years of visiting soul clubs and collecting, this record was much loved in my neck of the woods.......

westgrandboulevard
01-23-2016, 08:36 AM
It might well be my imagination, but I fancy I can just hear the strings on that 'without' version, just in places, and very, very low in the mix......same situation with 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg".....just a low, melodic hum, underscoring the music...

snakepit
01-23-2016, 08:42 AM
the UK 45 just seemed to have more 'punch' to me...
the USA import seemed 'watered down'