PDA

View Full Version : A Shameless Plug -An Afternoon with Peter Bejaminson -Interview abut Mary Wells book.

test

stephanie
12-08-2012, 12:46 AM
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/stephaniecolleen/2012/12/08/an-afternoon-with-our-guy-motown-author-peter-benjaminson

R. Mark Desjardins
12-08-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't think it's shameless for an author to try every avenue possible to whip up interest in their book at all. I'll sure be listening. Is the 10 am interview east coast or west coast time?

stephanie
12-08-2012, 11:48 AM
R Mark I meant it was a shameless plug for ME not Peter....LOL Anyway this interview is at 5:00pm eastern standard time. It says so on the link. All of the other interviews of mine you have seen are archived so you can just click on them and listen to them at anytime, there is one there with Tom Moulton, Archie Bell, Peter Benjaminson [[About the book the Lost Supreme) and his other book Invesigative Reporting.

R. Mark Desjardins
12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Stephanie, as someone who's been on radio shows myself, and was disappointed that people missed the original broadcast, I know I've "plugged" podcasts myself. LOL! Your past shows all feature interesting guests to me, and you can be sure I'm going to listen to them all in time.
What I like most about the soulfuldetroitforum site is the wonderful members who share information and make it possible for us to enjoy music in all its forms. It is my belief that there is no such thing as "old music," just joyful sounds that await to be newly rediscovered by a new generation. Thank you Stephanie for being part of this!

marv2
12-08-2012, 01:50 PM
This is great Stephanie. I will listen this evening. Thanks!

Methuselah2
12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Stephanie, as someone who's been on radio shows myself, and was disappointed that people missed the original broadcast, I know I've "plugged" podcasts myself. LOL! Your past shows all feature interesting guests to me, and you can be sure I'm going to listen to them all in time.
What I like most about the soulfuldetroitforum site is the wonderful members who share information and make it possible for us to enjoy music in all its forms. It is my belief that there is no such thing as "old music," just joyful sounds that await to be newly rediscovered by a new generation. Thank you Stephanie for being part of this!

What a great comment! Heartfelt sentiments, beautifully worded. Saturday is off to a wonderful start. Mark, thank you.

stephanie
12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Thank you! RMark you DO understand, thanks for the support. Methu that does make a great start for a Saturday doesnt it? Marv I never told you this but there is a friend of mine who I have not spoken to on the phone in a few years but via facebook and they met you and they said.."He may be crazy about Mary Wilson but he is not a crazy person!" He is rather intelligent and subdued. I cant imagine you being subdued but that is another conversation. Marv do you remember Eso? He is nothing like he appears to be on the net.

I have always known you know more than Supremes but as a I said a few years ago I didnt know you were into the Contours. Truth be told as a CHILD I had no IDEA Mary Wells was as big as she was. I knew she had several hits but not until the Internet and years later did I find out she was huge in the day and how the Beatles loved her. I remember when she got sick and Springsteen, and the Beatles and all of these celebrities gave to her cause. What got to me was she was not a huge star in the 90s so I couldnt understand it then but as the years went on I found out that her peers knew she was a catalyst in the beginning of Motown and that the brits worshipped her music. She was really loved.
Steph

Methuselah2
12-08-2012, 05:54 PM
The only 'shame' about your plug would be to miss your wonderful interview. For me, Peter Benjaminson is a superlative investigative reporter, journalist, and terrific writer. He's relentlessly balanced, objective, and writes beautifully. And he does just that, as well, in interviews I've heard with him. He's top-notch, no question about it. I'm anxiously awaiting today's show with him. Thank you for having him on.

milven
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the link. I got to it late and listened to the last twenty minutes. What I heard was great. What Peter said about some fanatics kidnapping Mary Wells reaffirms what I always said, Fans are great, Fanatics are dangerous.

Forgive my ignorance, but I tried to get to the archives to listen to Tom Moulton interview and did not know how. I want to go there tomorrow to listen to the entire Mary Wells interview.

Steph, this was not a shameless plug. It was a great favor to the SD membership. Thanks.

stephanie
12-08-2012, 07:28 PM
All you do is go to blogtalkradio.com/stephaniecolleen and it shows ALL of the shows and there is an arrow to get to the rest of them if you dont see it. If not I can send you the direct link. I LOVED interviewing Peter Benjaminson.

Methuselah2
12-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Stephanie, the interviiew was wonderful today! From start to finish. Even in just an hour, your really moved throuqh Peter's book, hitting so many important and noteworthy areas. Very, very focused. And Peter? He is such a joy to listen to. He's simply first-rate on all counts. A keen, sharp intelligence, with room for his humorous side to also come through. He's so knowledgeable and informed but it's all heightened by his real insight--thoughtful, studied, deeply considered. I wish the show had been longer. But we're still very lucky--there's Peter's book! I can only hope that he next writes one on HDH as he mentioned as a possibility. That's an idea whose time has certainly come. A great idea of Peter's--and he is, unquestionably, the one person who would do it justice, who would do it so right.

Thank you, Stephanie and Peter, for the great interview and conversation.

marv2
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Thank you! RMark you DO understand, thanks for the support. Methu that does make a great start for a Saturday doesnt it? Marv I never told you this but there is a friend of mine who I have not spoken to on the phone in a few years but via facebook and they met you and they said.."He may be crazy about Mary Wilson but he is not a crazy person!" He is rather intelligent and subdued. I cant imagine you being subdued but that is another conversation. Marv do you remember Eso? He is nothing like he appears to be on the net.

I have always known you know more than Supremes but as a I said a few years ago I didnt know you were into the Contours. Truth be told as a CHILD I had no IDEA Mary Wells was as big as she was. I knew she had several hits but not until the Internet and years later did I find out she was huge in the day and how the Beatles loved her. I remember when she got sick and Springsteen, and the Beatles and all of these celebrities gave to her cause. What got to me was she was not a huge star in the 90s so I couldnt understand it then but as the years went on I found out that her peers knew she was a catalyst in the beginning of Motown and that the brits worshipped her music. She was really loved.
Steph

Stephanie thanks. Eso? Yeah I remember that person. I always thought that he was "fried". LOL! I laugh ,but I am serious.

marv2
12-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Stephanie, I was very happy and impressed that you brought up Herman Griffin!!!

marv2
12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I could imagine Quincy Jones trying to get Mary Wells. He was producing Lesley Gore around that time.

stephanie
12-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Im glad all of you enjoyed it. Its a very very good book trust me. A lot of historical things in this book as well. I think Quincy would have done wonders with Mary I really do. For people who are not familiar with her life and how things were at Motown its a great read especially her relationships with the Womacks! Marv thanks. I do wish we knew more about Herman Griffin but there are things I learned in the book. Methusaleh I could have made the interview 2 hours but I didnt want bore anyone and I want people to buy the book its getting really good reviews Im sure you already know that.

marv2
12-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Peter is great, but it is very clear that this interview would not have been nearly as successful as it truly is if Stephanie did not know her subject material. This is the type of interview/conversation that I strongly prefer. Very informative and yet conversational.

milven
12-08-2012, 09:34 PM
All you do is go to blogtalkradio.com/stephaniecolleen and it shows ALL of the shows and there is an arrow to get to the rest of them if you dont see it. If not I can send you the direct link. I LOVED interviewing Peter Benjaminson.

Thanks Steph, I found it . I looked at what is in the archives and I see a lot of interviews and subjects that I will have to listen to. I'm anxious to listen to the entire Peter interview which will be in the archives starting tomorrow. I just started reading the book, and I think listening to the interview first will be a good prelude or introduction to the book. Looking forward to both.

Again, thanks for the link

stephanie
12-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Here is a good site Peter put up about the book

www.marywellsbook.com

Steph

Roberta75
12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I enjoyed your interview Stephanie and was real impressed by your style. I read the Mary Well biography and found it real real sad. I have one qestion for Mr Benjaminson and that is why does he keep quoting Tony Turner like he a credible journalist or music critic cause hes not.

I'm still glad I bought the book although poor Mary Wells had a real self destructive streak. Nice that Berry Gordy Diane Ross and Bruce Springstein helped her when she was sick and broke.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta75
12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Forgot to mention that Peter mention Stephanie in the credits of his book which was real classy and a nice touch.

Roberta

stephanie
12-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Roberta you read the credits! How nice of you and just so you know I did not know he was going to do that! He is a class act and I think he is a great interview. Roberta didnt you find the part of the book interesting where Mary talked about HDH and how she felt Lamont was the genius? Although the ending gets a little sad Im glad someone [[Peter) got a chance to talk to Mr Womack and her best friend and of course surround us with the images of what it was like to be on the Motortown Revues. I can see how in the hands of someone else this could have come out as a hatchet job.

Roberta75
12-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Roberta you read the credits! How nice of you and just so you know I did not know he was going to do that! He is a class act and I think he is a great interview. Roberta didnt you find the part of the book interesting where Mary talked about HDH and how she felt Lamont was the genius? Although the ending gets a little sad Im glad someone [[Peter) got a chance to talk to Mr Womack and her best friend and of course surround us with the images of what it was like to be on the Motortown Revues. I can see how in the hands of someone else this could have come out as a hatchet job.

You are very welcome my dear and yes I always read the credits. It was a great book but a sad book. It seems like Mary Wells was never really happy and although she gave it her all on stage she was a real sad lady off stage. Her smoking and drug abuse upset me and made me feel real bad for Mary. I thought Mr. Gordy telling mary she'd be dead before him was cruel but at least he help her out financially when she was at her lowest.

Kepp up the good work on the radio my dear. You should have a national show.

Fondly,

Roberta

motony
12-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Stephanie, I enjoyed the interview & listened to the broadcast at home, for some reason my computer[[lap top) at home won't let me post on SDF...damn technollogy.LOL. I thought you did a great job & love your voice, very pro. I hope Roberta is NOT getting me, Tony Russi, confused with Tony Turner, LOL as I don't remember too many quotes or mentions by Turner. Mary Wells did have many happy years in her life esp. with her children. We had a lot of fun with Mary & Cecil for the 4 years they lived in Fla.Cecil treated Mary like a Queen, even when I lived with them in LA I never heard them argue or have any domestic problems.

motony
12-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Stephanie, I forgot to ask you who will be your next interview & when will you broadcast again?