PDA

View Full Version : Vandellas Tracks on Motown Unlreleased 1962: Girls

test

Calv1971
12-07-2012, 08:32 PM
With all the excitement with the issue of these unreleased tracks, l was wondering if the 6 Vandellas tracks on this download release will also appear on their forthcoming 3 CD set, or will the unreleased songs on this set all be totally different.

kenneth
12-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I wondered why the tracks weren't listed as "Martha and the Vandellas." Isn't there an early Motown side with the Vandellas [[without Martha) backing another singer? I forgot who it was now, but the credit was "Somebody [[Else, not Martha) and the Vandellas," as I recall.

So I was wondering if these were strictly Vandellas tracks lacking Martha on lead...?

Roger Polhill
12-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I would be very surprised if Martha was missing.

kenneth
12-08-2012, 12:26 AM
I would be very surprised if Martha was missing.

I hope you are right. It probably was a foolish thought. Can't wait to hear these...these sets will be the first time I've paid for any downloads. They are well worth it, and of course no worry about limited editions!

longtimefan
12-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Can you clarify what list of 1962 downloadable tracks you are referring to? Thanks!

144man
12-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Can you clarify what list of 1962 downloadable tracks you are referring to? Thanks!

You need to refer to the "Unreleased George Bohannon..." thread.

144man
12-08-2012, 07:00 AM
I wondered why the tracks weren't listed as "Martha and the Vandellas." Isn't there an early Motown side with the Vandellas [[without Martha) backing another singer? I forgot who it was now, but the credit was "Somebody [[Else, not Martha) and the Vandellas," as I recall.

So I was wondering if these were strictly Vandellas tracks lacking Martha on lead...?

I think it's just done for brevity. The current edition of DFTMC just refers to all their tracks as by the Vandellas.

westgrandboulevard
12-08-2012, 07:33 AM
kenneth..

Were you thinking of "Camel Walk/It's Gonna Be Hard Times", credited to Saundra Mallett & The Vandellas...?

kenneth
12-08-2012, 11:18 AM
kenneth..

Were you thinking of "Camel Walk/It's Gonna Be Hard Times", credited to Saundra Mallett & The Vandellas...?

Yes, that was it! Do you know...was Martha in the backup on that single or was it just the early Vandellas [[Betty and Rosalind I guess it would have been)?

westgrandboulevard
12-08-2012, 12:09 PM
kenneth..

Ah, someone much more knowledgeable than I might be able to give you a definitive answer on that one! And there are plenty of them, right here...

While I'm inclined to think the likely answer is 'no', I can't actually say for sure if Martha was indeed actually included among The Vandellas as background voices, on that particular recording. My ears might guide me if I listen to it again....

And also 'The Vandellas' might just possibly have included extra voices, or even none of the actual ladies we would name as 'Vandellas' - although Annette's voice was on the earlier recordings, until she was replaced by Betty....

if you've not visited already, Motown Junkies website might be of interest to you re: this track...:)

rod_rick
12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
kenneth..

Ah, someone much more knowledgeable than I might be able to give you a definitive answer on that one! And there are plenty of them, right here...

While I'm inclined to think the likely answer is 'no', I can't actually say for sure if Martha was indeed actually included among The Vandellas as background voices, on that particular recording. My ears might guide me if I listen to it again....

And also 'The Vandellas' might just possibly have included extra voices, or even none of the actual ladies we would name as 'Vandellas' - although Annette's voice was on the earlier recordings, until she was replaced by Betty....

if you've not visited already, Motown Junkies website might be of interest to you re: this track...:)

Can you provide a link for the Motown Junkies website?
Thanks

westgrandboulevard
12-08-2012, 12:51 PM
rod_rick

I'm unsure exactly how to provide you with a direct link but, for now, go to...

motownjunkies.co.uk

type : Camel Walk in either of the search boxes [[alternatively, Review 208), then click Go...

robb_k
12-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Weren't "The Vandellas" also credited on a Marvin Gaye single? They were also credited on the Lee Allen single. I suspect that this crediting is just for brevity, and Martha is singing with the others on these formerly unreleased cuts.

robb_k
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Here's the link to "Motown Junkies":

www.motownjunkies.co.uk/index/ [[http://www.motownjunkies.co.uk/index/)

kenneth
12-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks, Robb_K.

And here's the link to the specific article about "Camel Walk" which gives the early history of Martha and the Vandellas:

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/2010/08/24/208/

robb_k
12-08-2012, 02:23 PM

I should have stated this earlier. When I was working on "From The Vaults", i saw the master tapes and acetates for 3 of those 7 "Vandellas" cuts on the forthcoming CD, and ALL 3 were listed as by "Martha and The Vandellas" [["I'll Be Standing By", "It's Hard To Walk Away From Love". etc. Included Martha on lead. I'd bet that's also true of the other 4 songs. We recorded those three for release consideration. I remember them clearly having Martha singing lead.

keith_hughes
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Have to put my hand up here: DFTMC does indeed show "The Vandellas" as short-hand for both "Martha & the Vandellas" and "Martha Reeves & the Vandellas", following the practice used in both the Session Logs and the Tape Filing Cards at the time. The credit should have been edited for the track lists supplied, but I overlooked it. As far as I know, all tracks feature Martha on lead vocals.

kenneth
12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Have to put my hand up here: DFTMC does indeed show "The Vandellas" as short-hand for both "Martha & the Vandellas" and "Martha Reeves & the Vandellas", following the practice used in both the Session Logs and the Tape Filing Cards at the time. The credit should have been edited for the track lists supplied, but I overlooked it. As far as I know, all tracks feature Martha on lead vocals.

Excellent. Can't wait to get these. What a wealth of material.

rod_rick
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the link:D

reese
12-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, that was it! Do you know...was Martha in the backup on that single or was it just the early Vandellas [[Betty and Rosalind I guess it would have been)?

In her IN THE BASEMENT interview, I believe Martha said that she was not on the "Camel Walk" single.

johnny_raven
12-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know the recording dates or songwriters? I think there should be a downloadable pdf file with all of this information.

theboyfromxtown
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
In her IN THE BASEMENT interview, I believe Martha said that she was not on the "Camel Walk" single.

Rosalind confirmed to me that Martha was NOT on "Camel Walk", it was just her and Annette.

lakedistrictlad1
12-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Im absolutely thrilled to see these new titles on Martha & The Vandellas. I'll buy the download anyhow even if they turn up on the upcoming 3 cd set.

And what a surprise to see some Temptations titles in these download sets. I thought the cupboard was bare.

The quantity of 'new' Motown we've heard over the last few years is absolutely staggering. Fab!

hwume
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Raising my hand here as well:

Four of the six tracks by Martha & the Vandellas that are in the Motown Unreleased 1962 "digital album" will be included in the forthcoming MR&TV Singles Collection set. They will, however, be in fresh extended mixes; some in stereo. All of the tracks in the digital releases were sourced from the mono Hitsville reference mixes.

Writer and producer info will be posted on an official site shortly.

mr_postman
12-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Wonderful, Harry! I am absolutely thrilled with these releases, a great initiative, since most of these songs most likely wouldn't have moved many units should they've been printed on CD.

A question to you: will the songs also be available in a lossless format, like FLAC or Apple Lossless?