PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes - 'All I Want'

test

tamlaUK
12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi , does anyone know why The Supremes selected to perform 'All I Want' on the Sonny & Cher Show back in January 1974?
I am sure the ladies could have performed a standard of even a new vocal performance of a Supremes single from the 70s.

marv2
12-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi , does anyone know why The Supremes selected to perform 'All I Want' on the Sonny & Cher Show back in January 1974?
I am sure the ladies could have performed a standard of even a new vocal performance of a Supremes single from the 70s.

I think it was because they did not have a current release and that song was from their most recent album.

BayouMotownMan
12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Mary said that they pulled out the last couple of albums and started looking for a track to use on S&C. The producers were apparently unaware of the massive change in line-up. Mary, Scherrie and Cindy recorded their vocals over the track All I Want at CBS studios days before the performance was taped. Their bodyguard taught them the choreography

thanxal
12-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Anyone have a youtube link? This is probably my favorite JMC song.

luke
12-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I never could warm up to it-too frantic for me.

marv2
12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Here's the version with Jean Terrell doing all of the lead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmgFBSmoLmc

marybrewster
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Mary said that they pulled out the last couple of albums and started looking for a track to use on S&C. The producers were apparently unaware of the massive change in line-up. Mary, Scherrie and Cindy recorded their vocals over the track All I Want at CBS studios days before the performance was taped. Their bodyguard taught them the choreography

Their bodyguard was Bruce Lee?

RossHolloway
12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I've always loved that song by the Supremes, I really love Jean's delivery on this song.

marybrewster
12-07-2012, 01:48 PM
http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/118181.html?1155781862

Here's a good thread, for reference.

greg jones
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I loved the fact that each took a turn at this lead vocal for the S&C show. Especially because it's a rare Cindy vocal. And since Jean left, it was nice to hear the 3 of them. I love both versions.

When the Final Sessions came out, i emailed Andy to ask if Universal had the tape with Mary, Scherrie and Cindy's vocal in place of Jean's. He said no, Universal didn't have it and that he was only aware of the mono track from the audio of the show surviving. Since that audio was available on You Tube, that most fans could find it there.

luke
12-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Great footage-excitingly done.l

tamlaUK
12-08-2012, 07:20 AM

So the last couple of albums were Floy Joy and Jimmy Webb. Considering they performed an album track rather than a single, there were other tracks that may have been in the short list for the performance. What would you select?

BigAl
12-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I remember thinking at the time how odd it was that this song was chosen for the TV debut of MSC since I has assumed the new grouping had probably laid down some tracks which were waiting for release and this would have been a good time to showcase one, but perhaps that had not happened yet. I do remember being impressed, however. It was so good to see Cindy back and to see and hear the powerhouse that was Scherrie for the first time. They looked fabulous, sounded fabulous, and I had a new sense of optimism for their future after what had seemed like a very long, slow struggle and decline. Sadly, this energy didn't last very long but for the time being it really did rejuvenate the act.

stephanie
12-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I always liked this song I guess I have a thing for fast frenetic songs. Jean is great vocally but the only thing about this song was it was hard for me to get the words down until the internet. I had no idea the words were I want to wreck my stockings in some jukebox dive I had NO idea what Jean was saying. Dont care too much for the Sonny and Cher version except for the historical aspect of it. I feel like that song belongs to Jean.

BayouMotownMan
12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
They sounded fabulous but those gowns imho were a travesty. Cindy didn't look good in hers at all and they were showing entirely too much skin

stephanie
12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Bayou everytime I see your name I think of Creedence Clearwater for obvious reasons. Oh there is a motown connection Mary did a version of their song Green River so there are some Six Degrees of Separation here.

REDHOT
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I was just happy to see this new Supreme group,Mary Cindy and new Supreme Scherrie Payne,for me as a Supreme fan,all of it was great,while it lasted[[no matter what)lol
Please stay positive

marv2
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I was just happy to see this new Supreme group,Mary Cindy and new Supreme Scherrie Payne,for me as a Supreme fan,all of it was great,while it lasted[[no matter what)lol
Please stay positive

I remember catching them on the show that night almost by accident. I was more than curious what they were going to sound like when it was announced that they were guests. Luckily they sounded and looked superb!

BayouMotownMan
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I prefer the MSC version of All I Want because it had more power to it. The mix was better than the Jean version without that annoying sax solo on the intro. I was disappointed it wasn't on Scherrie's first lp with the group as it was better than some of the tracks that were issued. But, the recording was not made at Motown, but at CBS. I suppose Motown could have secured it, had they cared enough.

The fan clubs wrote in asking for this to go out as Scherrie's first single. What was chosen nearly a year later was It's All Been Said Before, which was nixed by Mary and Pedro for the disco He's My Man, with Mary on lead vocals and Scherrie taking over on the chorus

marv2
12-10-2012, 09:02 PM
The recording, "He's My Man" was a good one. The best from that album in my opinion.

smark21
12-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I don’t care much for the Sonny and Cher MSC version of All I Want. Scherrie and Cindy sound fine on their parts, especially Scherrie. But Mary’s phrasing is stiff and awkward. She was still trying to find her way as a lead singer. Thankfully by the time of the High Energy sessions, she was delivering her best lead work during her time in The Supremes.

Jimi LaLumia
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
"It's All Been Said Before" would have and should have been a huge Top 40 pop hit!... I never knew why it wasn't a single..until NOW!... Way to **** it up, Mary and Pedro!..
and "He's My Man" got nowhere near Top 40 radio...
Knock! Knock!..Who's there?...
KARMA!!!...lol..

marv2
12-10-2012, 09:34 PM
"It's All Been Said Before" would have and should have been a huge Top 40 pop hit!... I never knew why it wasn't a single..until NOW!... Way to **** it up, Mary and Pedro!..
and "He's My Man" got nowhere near Top 40 radio...
Knock! Knock!..Who's there?...
KARMA!!!...lol..

Yeah........., well you know damned well Jimi living in
New York, "He's My Man" was the hit which is why it went so high on the Billboard Dance /Disco Charts in '75.

luke
12-10-2012, 09:52 PM
He's My Man should have been even bigger. IMO Its all been said before was just a mess. Never understood it--frantic, couldnt dance to it....

marv2
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
He's My Man should have been even bigger. IMO Its all been said before was just a mess. Never understood it--frantic, couldnt dance to it....

"It's All Been Said Before" was ok ,but it was monotinous and boring. Not soulful just Scherrie driving forward ,forward, forward.

bradsupremes
12-10-2012, 11:18 PM
"It's All Been Said Before" may have been a more commercial pop sounding choice for a single, but I never thought of it as anymore than a great album track. It never clicked on me as a choice for a single. "He's My Man" on the other hand had a great intro that grabbed your attention. The chorus for "It's All Been Said Before" is forgettable. It really doesn't click like "He's My Man." Now Motown should have released "Give Out But Don't Give Up" or "You Can't Stop A Girl In Love" for the single after "He's My Man" failed to chart. "Where Do I Go From Here" was the true poor choice for a single, not "He's My Man."

thanxal
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Just found the MSC video from an old archive and I must admit, I like it better than the JMC version. And those dresses! Wow. I don't recall hearing Cindy sing so much on any Supremes song upto that point.

skooldem1
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I believe that in billboard magazine there was no national chart for disco music in 1975. They only featured regional listings for certain record store chains. When it is said that "He's my man" was a "hit" it was at only for certain retail outlets. Do any historians here know when it peaked at #1?