PDA

View Full Version : Ed Cassidy [[Spirit drummer)

test

Doug-Morgan
12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I know this is a bit far a-field, but I also know many of you guys have better connections than I do, regardless of genre.

There's a rumor floating about that Spirit drumer Ed Cassidy passed away today at the age of 79. Anyone got a confirmation?

Thanks

sophisticated_soul
12-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I've heard the same Doug, but I can't confirm at this time either. Wiki is listing him as passed away. I got to see Spirit live back in the day, great show, good memories.

Doug-Morgan
12-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I got it from www.psychedelicized.com , the British psych music stream [[that rose out of the wreckage of the Technicolor Web Of Sound). They got it from Sundazed, but I haven't seen any other mention except for one classic rock website.

arrr&bee
12-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Sorry to hear about thier drummer,i remember spirit[the family that plays together]i can't remember if that verse was an album title or not but i did have an album of them way back in the sixties.

stephanie
12-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh sorry to hear this.

mark speck
12-10-2012, 06:04 AM
"The Family That Plays Together" was their second album.

Ed Cassidy was considerably older than the other guys in the group and was also the stepfather of one of them, if I'm not mistaken. I hadn't heard a word about his passing...hopefully, it's not true.

Best,

Mark

mark speck
12-10-2012, 06:10 AM
I did a Yahoo search...it is true, unfortunately...Ed Cassidy died at an assisted living home in California, aged 89 [[not 79 as previously listed). The obit I read also mentioned that he was the stepfather of guitarist Randy California, who tragically passed away some time ago from drowning, trying to save his young son. The other three members are still alive [[Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes are still very much active in the music business...Ferguson now does music for movies and TV, including the music for NCIS: LA, and Andes has been a member of Heart for quite some time).

RIP, Cass, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

Doug-Morgan
12-10-2012, 08:54 AM
That was a typo on my part, Mark.

I did a blog on Ed, and got a response from who I assume is his daughter. The family is selling his '57 Chev to help cover medical expenses.

An aside.....Randy was given the stage name California by Jimi Hendrix when he played with The Blue Flame in 1966. There were 2 Randy's in the band, Wolfe [[California) and Randy Palmer. Hendrix called Wolfe "California" and Palmer "Texas" in order to tell them apart.

chidrummer
12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
89!! Wow. I was in a band that used to play Mr. Skin back in the early 80's. Great song.

mark speck
12-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Yep...the guy was older than your average rocker. He was three years older than my Mom when he passed away!

Best,

Mark

Doug-Morgan
12-13-2012, 09:05 AM
The New York Times finally printed an obit, the best I've read on Cassidy so far. I really like the opening two graphs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/12/arts/music/ed-cassidy-drummer-for-the-experimental-group-spirit-dies-at-89.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=obituaries&adxnnlx=1355365126-JHlY2BCmVMEvZsjYfX3u0g&