PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Dave Brubeck

test

timmyfunk
12-05-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-dave-brubeck-dead-20121205,0,7126256.column

ralpht
12-05-2012, 01:31 PM
I just now saw this on the news, Tim. He was a hero to us guys in The Sunliners way back when and we did our best to honor him by including "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo, Ala Turk" in our playlist. A great musician, without a doubt.

marv2
12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
A great musician. A legend! I enjoyed his work all these years. Rest in peace Dave and thank you!

Marv

MotownSteve
12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
I just got the notification from the NBC news. Another one of the great ones has passed on.

soulster
12-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Wow! Such richness he added to our world. RIP, Dave!

mark speck
12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
To paraphrase Donald Fagen, we're all mad about Brubeck...he was a true genius and will be missed. RIP, Dave, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

robb_k
12-05-2012, 10:34 PM
One of the very best. I have all his albums and all his singles. "Take Five", "Blue Rondo A La Turk", "Cable Car", and so many other classic cuts by his quartet are so great. He brought a lot of listening pleasure to millions of people.

splanky
12-06-2012, 09:56 AM
While Dave's passing is sad, it's not tragically so because he indeed lived a full life and
gave so much to so many for so long. My radio station, wbgo [[.org for online listeners) has been paying tribute to him since the news broke and will continue through the weekend
playing a lot of music many, myself included, have forgotten or never heard, recorded and
live along with his broadcasts with Marian McPartland on her Piano Jazz shows. ...
RIP, Mr Brubeck, we loved you madly...

marv2
12-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Dave Brubeck was also a Civil Rights Activist in his own way! He stood up at a time when others just kept quiet.

arrr&bee
12-06-2012, 11:53 PM
A local radio station is doing a brubeck special as i type this,what words can be used to discribe this giant of jazz,they've all been used...one of the best of the best for all time...r.i.p.

edafan
12-07-2012, 01:50 PM
take five dave

edafan

Jerry Oz
12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I played "Take Five" over my computer speakers for a co-worker yesterday and a much younger [[read: "hip-hop inclined") co-worker heard it for the first time. To my surprise he liked it so much he said he would buy it and he is not a jazz fan at all. If you asked true afficianados "classic jazz" to name their top 10 all time records, I'm convinced "Take Five" would be on the list of 90% of them. RIP, Mr. Brubeck. Job well done.

stephanie
12-08-2012, 04:13 PM
I heard Take Five as a child all of the time and never knew who did it until years later. Its a great example of how jazz can be universal. RIP Dave.

mr_june
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I'll guess that many in Chicago who weren't into jazz became familiar with "Take Five" because it was chosen as the musical theme opening to WGN TV's Late Night Movie back in the day. "Take Five" was also a good choice for a crack band to play at a school function. I still remember hearing it played on the auditorioum stage during a program.

Much like the music used for 1970's WGN's Saturday night show "Creature Feature" the music became for all times a big part of both shows. Both tunes were superbly used and are a reminder of growing up in Chicago before things like cable TV and streaming.

Fortunately, you can hear both themes and see the opening of those shows on the website fuzzymemories.com. The website moderater, Rick Klein was the guy who discovered the lost Bozo Circus tape that was shown this past Sunday evening on WGN TV. He has a ton of stuff from the the 60's and on.

I've also heard of how Brubeck spoke out about segregation and applaud him.

arrr&bee
12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Remember music class in jr.high,well one day our teacher whom we thought of as the most square person in school[only played the scales and some bach]wanted our attention so she played[take five]whoa from that day on she was cool...dave brubeck forever!!!