PDA

View Full Version : If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you- fit for life

test

glencro
12-04-2012, 05:39 PM
After turning 30, the metabolism begin to slow down and I began to gradually gain weight year after year, along with my love for sweets and fine dining of course. I've always talked about doing something about the extra weight but it was easier to talk about than to do something about it.
In the last year I have lost three people in my age group [[mid 40's) to either stroke or heart attack, so it was time to really do something about it.
June 2012, I joined an incredible organization called RUN THIS TOWN DETROIT that met Tuesdays at 6pm and Saturdays at 10am on the beautiful River Walk in downtown Detroit. There were runners, joggers and power walkers who would trail the River Walk and come together for circuit training that consisted of cardio, abs and strength. After the work out we would go to Eastern Market and load up on fruits and vegetables. It was started by 3 young men that wanted to see the city of Detroit become a healthier city. Some days there would be as many as 150 people in attendance.
I began to walk then built up to jogging 4 days a week. Stopped eating fast food, most fried food, processed food and limited my dessert intake. I gave up soda and juices with high fructose syrup in it and I haven't missed any of those things. When I eat what I want to eat [[catfish, mac-n-cheese, green beans) I'll eat in smaller portions. Now at 46 I'm feeling better than ever and hopefully looking it too :). I'm enjoying this new LIFESTYLE, no I don't call it a diet and wouldn't trade the results for the world.

soulster
12-04-2012, 06:11 PM
That's nice, Glen! here's many more decades to your health.

Me? I just turned 50, but the only thing that holds me back is my weight. Otherwise, I feel no more than twenty! I just have to stay away from the sugar because I have a bad sweet tooth!

glencro
12-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Thank you soulster. That sweet tooth runs deep in my family. As a photographer, I look forward to the cutting of the cake when it comes to shooting weddings. I used to have to have sweets daily but I've narrowed it down to one, sometimes two days a week but I'm snacking on fruit everyday. It's actually been a great replacement.