PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Dec 4, 9P-12M ET: "Mary Wells:Something New" w/ Harry Weinger!

test

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Howdy, Folks! Well...the wait is over for many of you with the release of Hip-O Select's "Mary Wells:Something New-Lost & Found 1961-1964". And I am privileged to be able to offer you the first broadcast/webcast airing
of this wonderful collection of Mary's rare and unreleased songs and standards. This compilation was produced by our friend in Motown, Harry Weinger, mixed by Obie O'Brien at Jon Bon Jovi's "Mixville U.S.A." in NJ, and mastered by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, NYC.
And to make this airing of "Something New" something more special, I will be joined, on "Nightflight", by producer and vice president of A&R Harry Weinger! Harry and I will chat about what was involved with the production of this
terrific collection. Please feel free to post any questions you have about the collection and Harry will attempt to address them.
So do join us tonight for all this and more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans...and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
And tonight...please no phone calls....I'll be on the phone with mr. Weinger.
Thanks!
John

RossHolloway
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Can't wait for the show tonight!

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Great you'll be here Ross!!

hwume
12-04-2012, 01:23 PM
I am looking forward to being there.

BTW: if any of you have figured out Twitter, follow me @harryweinger, just tweeted tonight's show and often post about projects in the works, not to mention occasional ramblings about the NY Knicks and movies.

JimBagley
12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Looking forward to receiving this wonderful collection. One question for Harry: Are there plans for a Mary Wells Box Set? If so, would it be possible to include tracks from 20th Century, Atlantic, Jubilee, Reprise, and Epic?
Thanks. Have fun tonight, John!
Jim

longtimefan
12-04-2012, 02:00 PM
What happened to the premiere of Scherrie's "Dance With My Father Again" that was touted as being on Nightflght? Thanks!

R. Mark Desjardins
12-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Wow! John, your program this evening with new music from Mary Wells and Harry explaining the treasure hunt, discovering these recordings, is an early Christmas gift. Could you please ask Harry if any serious thought has been given to having a documentary film maker follow them on a project. What a treat it would be to see the inside of the fabled Motown tape library! I'll be listening this evening for sure!

hwume
12-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Jim - no box set yet. Her Motown albums alone would be 4 or 5 CDs. Even the great Mary Wells may not support anything like that or larger.

On the doc idea - nice of you to think so. The Free press did something like that about three years ago, although the total time of the clip was under 10 minutes. This link takes you to a distillation of several articles the paper did on the history and mystery, and so far I can't find the link to the video with yours truly and the rest of the gang working on projects.

Talk to everyone tonight.
http://www.freep.com/article/20090111/ENT04/901110364

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Something New is something special! Looking forward to tonight's premiere airing and chat with Harry Weinger. I was up late last night taking in this marvelous collection and I am literally thrilled with this project! I started with disc 2 and the standards which are just beautiful, especially "The Second Time Around". The tracks with Marvin are as good as anything on their duet album and some even better, I love the very radio friendly "In Case You Need Love". Songs in stereo for the first time sound fabulous, especially my beloved "One Block From Heaven" [[thank goodness they used the longer version!). Speaking of longer versions "I'll Be Available" is longer than any version I have on CD or any version I recall hearing. The sound quality overall is perfect and Mary's versatility and potential are front and center. As a long time Mary Wells fan I couldn't be happier with this set, it's absolutely wonderful!. Thanks again to everyone involved. I got a bunch of questions but I'll try and narrow it down to just a few. See you on Radiola John [[and all)!:)

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Like everyone else, I, too, am really looking forward to the show.
NIGHTFLIGHT is where nothing is ever really lost . . .
everything is found . . . everything is re-gained.

No other show does what NIGHTFLIGHT does.
Or does what it feels to listen to.

Could be that host who puts it all together, week after week.

It just could be.

And then, again, maybe not.

Or maybe it is.

I'll have to listen tonight to find out.

As I do week after week.

"This old heart of mine is week after week for you."

And then, again, maybe it isn't.

And yet . . . and yet . . . and . . .

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
You can hear The Temptations so well on the stereo version of "Everybody Needs Love" especially Eddie at the very end. So cool.:cool:

I love the Greystone version of "Strange Love", it's a more relaxed jazzy version than the original shouter version. So very cool.:)

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Could you please ask Harry if any serious thought has been given to having a documentary film maker follow them on a project. What a treat it would be to see the inside of the fabled Motown tape library!

Mark, what a sensational idea! I would really love to see that happen. Terrific concept, Mark. And Joseph, I just loved your review of the new release. I'm champin' at the bit. You've perfectly set the stage for tonight for what I know will be a wonderful conversation with Harry and John. A longer version of ONE BLOCK FROM HEAVEN, you say? Oh Joseph, say it again! And I sure hope I get to hear it tonight. Oh, say it again. OK, I will: I sure hope I get to hear it tonight.

Alright, John. As Mary, herself, once sang: "Well . . . well, well, well."

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
When "One Block From Heaven" first appeared on CD [[Compact Command Performances) it clocked in at 2:26, the later version on "Looking Back" is 2:58. For this collection they used the 2:58 version to create the new stereo mix. Hey, 32 seconds more of Mary Wells - I'm there!:)

RossHolloway
12-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey Midnight - Are you taking questions again that we fans have for HW about this release?

hwume
12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
When "One Block From Heaven" first appeared on CD [[Compact Command Performances) it clocked in at 2:26, the later version on "Looking Back" is 2:58. For this collection they used the 2:58 version to create the new stereo mix. Hey, 32 seconds more of Mary Wells - I'm there!:)

They are the same studio performances; one [[CCF) ends shorter, one is long [[LB) while the newer one is a new stereo mix of the performance [[SN: ML&F).

Looking forward to your questions. We'll "keep an eye."

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I'd like to know about the writers of the new release's material.
Any Smokey? HDH? Unheard of or covers?

And speaking of 'covers', the picture chosen for the CD cover is just beautiful. Very much of the period. Very Mary. The specialness of all these wonderful Universal releases begins even with the packaging and only continues to build from there. Gorgeous, glorious, unique products in every way.

RossHolloway
12-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I'd like to know about the writers of the new release's material.
Any Smokey? HDH? Unheard of or covers?

And speaking of 'covers', the picture chosen for the CD cover is just beautiful. Very much of the period. Very Mary. The specialness of all these wonderful Universal releases begins even with the packaging and only continues to build from there. Gorgeous, glorious, unique products in every way.

Yes there are some real jewels by Smokey, HDH and Berry Gordy on this release. Awesome pic of Mary and Marvin that I've never seen before. Mary and Marvin do a smokin cover version of Oh, Lover. How it's gone this long without being released is a real head scratcher..

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Looking forward to receiving this wonderful collection. One question for Harry: Are there plans for a Mary Wells Box Set? If so, would it be possible to include tracks from 20th Century, Atlantic, Jubilee, Reprise, and Epic?
Thanks. Have fun tonight, John!
Jim

Thanks Jim....glad you'll be here!

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
What happened to the premiere of Scherrie's "Dance With My Father Again" that was touted as being on Nightflght? Thanks!

longtimefan.... I played it during the show that it was announced for. Sorry that you missed it.

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow! John, your program this evening with new music from Mary Wells and Harry explaining the treasure hunt, discovering these recordings, is an early Christmas gift. Could you please ask Harry if any serious thought has been given to having a documentary film maker follow them on a project. What a treat it would be to see the inside of the fabled Motown tape library! I'll be listening this evening for sure!

Hey there, Mark!! Thank you...and everyone for your questions! There are some shots of inside one of the tape libraries....let's see if I can find one for you. I know it's only a photo...let's see what Harry says about your great idea!

The wonderful Susaye with the wonderful Andy!

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Something New is something special! Looking forward to tonight's premiere airing and chat with Harry Weinger. I was up late last night taking in this marvelous collection and I am literally thrilled with this project! I started with disc 2 and the standards which are just beautiful, especially "The Second Time Around". The tracks with Marvin are as good as anything on their duet album and some even better, I love the very radio friendly "In Case You Need Love". Songs in stereo for the first time sound fabulous, especially my beloved "One Block From Heaven" [[thank goodness they used the longer version!). Speaking of longer versions "I'll Be Available" is longer than any version I have on CD or any version I recall hearing. The sound quality overall is perfect and Mary's versatility and potential are front and center. As a long time Mary Wells fan I couldn't be happier with this set, it's absolutely wonderful!. Thanks again to everyone involved. I got a bunch of questions but I'll try and narrow it down to just a few. See you on Radiola John [[and all)!:)

Joseph....well....you promoted this set better than I ever could!! See you later my friend...on that Radiola!!

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Like everyone else, I, too, am really looking forward to the show.
NIGHTFLIGHT is where nothing is ever really lost . . .
everything is found . . . everything is re-gained.

No other show does what NIGHTFLIGHT does.
Or does what it feels to listen to.

Could be that host who puts it all together, week after week.

It just could be.

And then, again, maybe not.

Or maybe it is.

I'll have to listen tonight to find out.

As I do week after week.

"This old heart of mine is week after week for you."

And then, again, maybe it isn't.

And yet . . . and yet . . . and . . .

Bruce.....HUH!!! No...kidding....thank you for the very flattering prose....I blush....glad you'll be here!

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes there are some real jewels by Smokey, HDH and Berry Gordy on this release. Awesome pic of Mary and Marvin that I've never seen before. Mary and Marvin do a smokin cover version of Oh, Lover. How it's gone this long without being released is a real head scratcher..

Thanks so much, Ross. Much appreciated. And such great news, too. The new collection sounds like it's terrific. I hope, perhaps, John might play some--even all--of the cuts you've mentioned. But whatever he chooses will be wonderful to hear. As will his discussion with Harry. The anticipation and excitement about tonight's NIGHTFLIGHT is really climbing. And these Universal-conversation/history/analysis shows always go right to the top.

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Mark, what a sensational idea! I would really love to see that happen. Terrific concept, Mark. And Joseph, I just loved your review of the new release. I'm champin' at the bit. You've perfectly set the stage for tonight for what I know will be a wonderful conversation with Harry and John. A longer version of ONE BLOCK FROM HEAVEN, you say? Oh Joseph, say it again! And I sure hope I get to hear it tonight. Oh, say it again. OK, I will: I sure hope I get to hear it tonight.

Alright, John. As Mary, herself, once sang: "Well . . . well, well, well."

Bruce.....yes....and Mary ALSO sang....."Wehhh...eh...eh...eh...ellllllll!"

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks so much, Ross. Much appreciated. And such great news, too. The new collection sounds like it's terrific. I hope, perhaps, John might play some--even all--of the cuts you've mentioned. But whatever he chooses will be wonderful to hear. As will his discussion with Harry. The anticipation and excitement about tonight's NIGHTFLIGHT is really climbing. And these Universal-conversation/history/analysis shows always go right to the top.

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Hey Midnight - Are you taking questions again that we fans have for HW about this release?

Ross....COITENLY!

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
....glad you'll be here!

Oh, don't worry--you won't be. [[Nyuk. Nyuk.)

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm tellin' ya: The show hasn't even started yet--and it's bubblin' already!

I'd like to know what was going on with Mary and Motown when she left Hitsville. I've heard that the 20th Century Fox deal cinched her decision with the possibility of movies for her.

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
.......................Mary Wells

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
................Mary Wells

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Joseph....well....you promoted this set better than I ever could!! See you later my friend...on that Radiola!!

That's nice of you to say John, but you're really the promoter. You do this every week! And lately [[much to the pleasure of your fans) more than once a week. Me, I'm just totally excited by this collection, this treasure trove of all things very Mary Wells. I'm always pleased with the Hip-O products I buy. But I haven't been this excited about a project since Tammi Terrell's "Come On And See Me". And I'm sure you remember how I went on and on about that one. I rode that one 'til the wheels fell off! :) I'm so glad this was released before December 21, 2012 - just in case.;)

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 08:57 PM
That's nice of you to say John, but you're really the promoter. You do this every week! And lately [[much to the pleasure of your fans) more than once a week. Me, I'm just totally excited by this collection, this treasure trove of all things very Mary Wells. I'm always pleased with the Hip-O products I buy. But I haven't been this excited about a project since Tammi Terrell's "Come On And See Me". And I'm sure you remember how I went on and on about that one. I rode that one 'til the wheels fell off! :) I'm so glad this was released before December 21, 2012 - just in case.;)

[[*BIG smile!)

lovechild
12-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi JP
Looking forward to a Mary night with Harry and yourself and all :)

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi JP
Looking forward to a Mary night with Harry and yourself and all :)

Hey there, TONY!!! Glad you're here!!

Glenpwood
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Evening John and the the gang! Look forward to hearing tales from the vault with Harry tonight. Been wearing this set out since it arrived Friday and hearing new things each time. The production, mixes, vocals, and packaging all sparkle. Hard to pick out favorites here since they all are exceptional.

P.S. I love the cover photo Harry but is Mary hailing a cab to 20th Century in that shot? Is her broken Motown contract in that suitcase? Lol. Whats the back story of that photo if you or anyone on here knows......

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
....in the STUDIO......Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Question:
I'm not a tech type person but I do find that old tapes mixed for digital on vintage equipment have a warmer sounding result, many [[especially earlier) transfers for CD sounded artificially sharp and just louder. Perhaps, Harry can discuss if not the process, something about the results he desired by having these tapes mixed on vintage equipment. The end result for me is a very listenable sound experience, and I’ve been listening a lot in the last 24 hrs!

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Evening John and the the gang! Look forward to hearing tales from the vault with Harry tonight. Been wearing this set out since it arrived Friday and hearing new things each time. The production, mixes, vocals, and packaging all sparkle. Hard to pick out favorites here since they all are exceptional.

P.S. I love the cover photo Harry but is Mary hailing a cab to 20th Century in that shot? Is her broken Motown contract in that suitcase? Lol. Whats the back story of that photo if you or anyone on here knows......

Welcome, Glen!!!!

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
....in the STUDIO......Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

In the house!:cool:

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 10:03 PM
"My Guy" Mary Wells' "Baby Love".;)

carole cucumber
12-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I'se be here.

JimBagley
12-04-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm lost. I'm found. The Voice has voted off Amanda Brown.

lovechild
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm lost. I'm found. The Voice has voted off Amanda Brown. she will end up outselling all of them in time Jim :)

midnight johnny
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I'se be here.

Howdy Carole!!!!!

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Perhaps the 4 most important questions for Harry this evening:

Does Harry know exactly what's missing from the vaults following your visit last month? Or are they still tabulating what's gone? Is there anything left in the vaults? Will the next release simply be titled LOST because nothing--zilch--is even left in the vaults to be AND FOUND?

Just curious.
-- Signed, a friend.

Glenpwood
12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Love the Mary hits and more medley, John.....

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Bruce.....yes....and Mary ALSO sang....."Wehhh...eh...eh...eh...ellllllll!"

BYE, BYE BABY. Yes?

carole cucumber
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Perhaps the 4 most important questions for Harry this evening:

Does Harry know exactly what's missing from the vaults following your visit last month? Or are they still tabulating what's gone? Is there anything left in the vaults? Will the next release simply be titled LOST because nothing--zilch--is even left in the vaults to be AND FOUND?

Just curious.
-- Signed, a friend.

What's this rumor that's circulating all over town... Hip-O-Select is opening a sister service Perrone-In-Flight

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Question regarding the standards:
Tracks 8-15 were all recorded between Jan-Apr 1963 and have a similar feel. Tracks 16-20 a year later in Apr 64 have a brassier sound. My question is were the six standards that comprise side two of the “My Guy” album recorded at this second session or were they from another session all together? Thanks.

JimBagley
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
she will end up outselling all of them in time Jim :)

Yes, even more than Jesus.

carole cucumber
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Harry,
To whom else have you been listening for months?

carole cucumber
12-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Harry,
You not only took you mother to see the Temptations perform , you even got your mother a backstage pass- what a good son you are.

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 10:43 PM
I totally agree every track is great - at a minimum album tracks - and a number of potential singles.

jboy88
12-04-2012, 10:45 PM
I am looking forward to being there.

BTW: if any of you have figured out Twitter, follow me @harryweinger, just tweeted tonight's show and often post about projects in the works, not to mention occasional ramblings about the NY Knicks and movies.

Following, and listening! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy. I just got to sell my books first.

jobeterob
12-04-2012, 10:48 PM
How many of these shows can be found as podcasts now? Hard to catch these in the West of the continent.

RossHolloway
12-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Midnight - Please ask HW what surprised him the most about Mary Wells and these recordings while putting together this collection.

carole cucumber
12-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Look at Entry # 49----

carole cucumber
12-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Mary Wells also wrote "Give It Up" with Sylvester Potts. The song was recorded by The Temptations in 1963 and re-mixed in 1966 for possible inclusion on the "Gettin' Ready" album.
Was the tape checked to see if there was a version by Mary Wells [[demo or otherwise) on that reel?

Glenpwood
12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Harry, just curious with the recent purchase of EMI by Universal will this expand your vault and reissue project opportunities now to cover things like the Beatles, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, and Peggy Lee along side the Motown product?

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Harry, you really already answered my question earlier when you were talking about transfers. Thanks.:)

hwume
12-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks all. John - love that you're playing Joni Mitchell's version of "Trouble Man." I was lucky she agreed to give us some comments for the expanded edition's booklet.

RossHolloway
12-04-2012, 11:51 PM
It was great hearing HW talk about this project. We Motown fans have been really spoiled this year.

Methuselah2
12-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Enjoyed Joni's TROUBLE MAN. But her later years-voice veers a bit close to sounding somewhat Julie London-like to me. An interesting development from what I normally think of her voice sounding like.

R. Mark Desjardins
12-04-2012, 11:55 PM
John, I always appreciate that you get Harry or others from Hip-O to give us the inside scoop on the much anticipated and appreciated Motown vaulted material. Tonight's program was especially enlightening. I also appreciated that you played Joni Mitchell's version of "Trouble Man." Her version just underscores just how far reaching Marvin Gaye's musicality was. A heart felt thank you for your love and dedication in sharing your knowledge and that of your guests, of this musical legacy!

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks all. John - love that you're playing Joni Mitchell's version of "Trouble Man." I was lucky she agreed to give us some comments for the expanded edition's booklet.

Thank You, Harry!:)

sophisticated_soul
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Her version of "The Second Time Around" is just beautiful! Thanks for playing it John.:cool:

RossHolloway
12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Midnight- Please play Oh, Lover Mary's duet with Marvin and the song That's Why I Love You Like I Do. So far those are my two favorite cuts on this fabulous release.

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
OH LITTLE BOY. Interesting recording. Love the Yma Sumac-like interlude.

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:07 AM

My pleasure, Harry....and thanks so much for your time and generosity....it's always a pleasure!!!

sophisticated_soul
12-05-2012, 12:07 AM
It [[Guaranteed) is very much in the same mode as "The One Who Really Loves You".

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Enjoyed Joni's TROUBLE MAN. But her later years-voice veers a bit close to sounding somewhat Julie London-like to me. An interesting development from what I normally think of her voice sounding like.

How nice of you to say, Bruce!

johnjeb
12-05-2012, 12:16 AM
This collection is on my Christmas [[or possibly birthday) Wish List - fingers crossed.

I was in and out of the room during the interview. I heard Harry mention the Martha collection coming in March. I also thought I heard him mention there was another release coming but I didn't hear on which artist. Or did I hear incorrectly?

RossHolloway
12-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Thank You Midnight for playing those two tracks!! I'm actually starting to think that their version of Oh, Lover is a much hotter track than their released single What's The Matter WIth You Baby/Once Upon A Time.

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:19 AM
John, I always appreciate that you get Harry or others from Hip-O to give us the inside scoop on the much anticipated and appreciated Motown vaulted material. Tonight's program was especially enlightening. I also appreciated that you played Joni Mitchell's version of "Trouble Man." Her version just underscores just how far reaching Marvin Gaye's musicality was. A heart felt thank you for your love and dedication in sharing your knowledge and that of your guests, of this musical legacy!

Mark...I'm most appreciative of all you said....thank you so much.

RossHolloway
12-05-2012, 12:19 AM
JohnJeb - HW mentioned a Four Tops singles release in the same vein as the upcoming M&TV release.

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Got a lot out of your conversation with Harry, John. And I'm soaking up this great music. So enjoyable to hear the two of you discuss her and then hear what Mary has to say via her recordings. Lovely how your conversations with the Universal group always puts the music you then play right into the time-period when it was recorded. But it's just as noticeable how timeless the recordings are, as well. Gosh, these Mary recordings sound marvelous.

sophisticated_soul
12-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Good catch [[Ida Pupino)! When I first read it I just thought, who the hell is that! LOL!!!!:D

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Ida Pupino was a hired hand on THE REAL McCOYS.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:27 AM
This collection is on my Christmas [[or possibly birthday) Wish List - fingers crossed.

I was in and out of the room during the interview. I heard Harry mention the Martha collection coming in March. I also thought I heard him mention there was another release coming but I didn't hear on which artist. Or did I hear incorrectly?

Hey there John! I don't think he mentioned any other release.

RossHolloway
12-05-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't know which version of Drop in the Bucket I like best: Mary Well's or Kim Weston's...
I wonder what a Brenda Holloway version or a Florence Ballard led Supreme's version would have sounded like.

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Got a lot out of your conversation with Harry, John. And I'm soaking up this great music. So enjoyable to hear the two of you discuss her and then hear what Mary has to say via her recordings. Lovely how your conversations with the Universal group always puts the music you then play right into the time-period when it was recorded. But it's just as noticeable how timeless the recordings are, as well. Gosh, these Mary recordings sound marvelous.

Thank you, Bruce!!!

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:30 AM
It [[Guaranteed) is very much in the same mode as "The One Who Really Loves You".

John could play this if you have time? I'd love to hear this new one to me. Thank you.

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:33 AM
I, too, would like to thank Harry for his generosity--for not calling the police when you walked out of the vaults!

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:35 AM
John could play this if you have time? I'd love to hear this new one to me. Thank you.

Bruce...I played that one. ?!?!?!

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Bruce...I played that one. ?!?!?!

I thought you might have. Went to kitchen for a little snack. OK, a big snack; took me a few minutes to make it.

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:50 AM
I thought you might have. Went to kitchen for a little snack. OK, a big snack; took me a few minutes to make it.

Soooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy!

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 12:51 AM
I want to thank you ALL for a wonderful show that couldn't have been done without you.....I'm most appreciative!! Have a great week...see you next week!

lovechild
12-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Thank you John for a great show and Thanks Harry for spending some time with us tonight!
Have a great week all :)

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I've heard that Diana Ross was a big fan of Mary's. I'm hearing some of Mary's stylings tonight that turned up a bit in some of Diana's work.

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:57 AM
ONE BLOCK FROM HEAVEN.
Thank you for playing that.
Thanks so much for the swell show.
I'm one block, er, I mean soda, from the kitchen.

sophisticated_soul
12-05-2012, 12:59 AM
I've heard that Diana Ross was a big fan of Mary's. I'm hearing some of Mary's stylings tonight that turned up a bit in some of Diana's work.

Definitely, "The Second Time Around" project for Mary eventually morphed into the "Rodgers & Hart" project for The Supremes. Berry had a plan from the beginning. The names changed but the plan stayed the same, IMHO.:cool:

sophisticated_soul
12-05-2012, 01:00 AM
You can never go wrong with "One Block From Heaven"! Thanks John:cool:

johnjeb
12-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks, RossHolloway, for your reply on the Four Tops collection. I was hoping for one on them or The Miracles. Maybe next year we'll get The Miracles and Gladys and The Pips with a bonus disc of that elusive Lost & Found collection. Looks like I'm starting my Christmas 2013 Wish List a bit premature!

Yes, John, I thought he mentioned someone else having a singles collection released next year which would not include anything new or unreleased. I also thought he added that they hoped to do a couple of similar sets each year. But, as I said, I was running around and listening to snippets of conversation.

Thanks for a great show. Oh Little Boy was never a big favorite of mine but it sounded amazing last night. Second Time Around was beautiful as well.

So I have two chances to receive this collection as a gift; my birthday next week or Christmas. If no Mary Wells Lost & Found by December 25th then I'll be online to Hip-O with my plastic on December 26th.

motony
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
thanks John for a GREAT show .Thanks, Harry for the project & your wonderful thoughts about Marys artistry.Mary not only set the pace for all the talented female vocalists at Motown but the whole Rock & Soul genre...she really worked by trial & error & came up with such great performances.My thoughts on the cover photo is that was a very early publicity photo perhaps for "Bye Bye Baby" thus pasking her suit case & waving "Bye, bye".

Methuselah2
12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Motony, I think your take on the cover photo used has to be exactly right. Very astute observation on your part. It hadn't dawned on me at all but as soon as I read what you wrote, I thought you were absolutely right, I thought that's it! You cracked the case--suitcase and otherwise.

midnight johnny
12-05-2012, 03:38 PM
thanks John for a GREAT show .Thanks, Harry for the project & your wonderful thoughts about Marys artistry.Mary not only set the pace for all the talented female vocalists at Motown but the whole Rock & Soul genre...she really worked by trial & error & came up with such great performances.My thoughts on the cover photo is that was a very early publicity photo perhaps for "Bye Bye Baby" thus pasking her suit case & waving "Bye, bye".

Motony...thanks for listening...and the compliment...it's always an enlightening experience to chat with Harry!

hwume
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
The cover art redux:

If we had the photographer to confirm one way or the other, we'd know for certain, but my detective instincts tell me that image is too early for "Bye Bye Baby." Fifty years later it may look "right" thematically, but consider that Motown could hardly afford color photography at the time, and their print shop, the corner of the Gordy empire doing the album covers and press kits, was a down-home family operation - I don't see them creating this type of imagery in 1961.

As a budding amateur photographer, I take it this way: the photograph portrays Mary Wells both arriving and leaving [[notice she is not waving goodbye, she has her hand up in the air) - announcing her sophistication, her ascent into national success, her status as a headliner, as well as showing she's grown up enough to leave, whether it's the Motortown Revues, on press junkets, etc.

I COULD BE WRONG - it may be a "Bye Bye Baby" photo, it may be something else - but that's my sense of the cover image.

And someone with better-informed knowledge of women's wigs, shoes and dresses might be able to date the look and help narrow down the era.

Methuselah2
12-06-2012, 12:33 AM
This link may not prove the original intent of the photo but it says something about its usage--directly from Mary.

Isn't this nice that Mary, herself, seems to get the last word on this one?

[[Autographed photo located via Google search for "Mary Wells suitcase." Handwriting experts, are you standing by? I don't think you need to. But if someone says the handwriting looks like that of Jackie Hicks or Louvain Demps or Marlene Barrow, I am outta here!)

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/8258/9689328_1.jpg?v=8CCF7A464BF8E90

P.S. Kudos to Midnight Johnny whose discerning eye noticed something about the photo I linked in relation to the color one on the new CD collection: They're not the same photo or merely a reverse of each other as I had thought. He immediately saw differences between the two--Mary showing a less noticeable smile, her head tilted back more and her chin, therefore, slightly more raised, and her bent arm a bit more angled than what appears in the CD cover's photo. But it seems a very safe bet the photos are from the same photo shoot, possibly taken just a flash apart.

hwume
12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Good one.

And from the same photo shoot.

motony
12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
the photo looks like its from '61 to me & a blonde wig...when I met her in Nov. '62 she had her real hair dyed blonde or highlights whatever kinda like the Two Lovers LP cover.

Methuselah2
12-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Motony, I'm convinced your observations about the photo nailed it right off the bat. In addition to the blonde hair that was so-Mary when she started at Motown, BYE BYE BABY was her first single there, circa 1960, when she was 17, and she appears very young in the suitcase-photo. Perhaps the shot was intended as a BBB sleeve at one point or possibly a promo. Mary returned to being a brunette while still at Motown and for a considerable time afterwards, as well. But her inner-blonde continued to call to her, as it did here in '82:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOaxc4LveBo