PDA

View Full Version : Contours Confusion

test

luke
12-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I always thought Dennis replaced Joe Stubbs but on recent PBS show they had a clip of Billy Gordon singing lead and Dennis also in the group. Help!

reese
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Billy Gordon wasn't in the group when that appearance took place. I can't recall the name of the guy who was leading, but he was lipsyncing to Billy's voice.

marv2
12-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I believe that was Council Gay in the lead for the clip Luke is referring to along with Sylvester, Dennis and Jerry Green.

marv2
12-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Here they are from what I believe is Hy-Lit's Show out of Philly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwqhJyUyoHU

stephanie
12-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Marv I didnt know you knew about the Contours. You are more than just a Supremes lover.

marv2
12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Marv I didnt know you knew about the Contours. You are more than just a Supremes lover.

Oh Stephanie you betta cut it out!LOL! Yes , yes, I know about all sorts of things but it seems that all everyone at the Motown Forum wants to do is talk about the Supremes. Go figure.....

luke
12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I think this is the same clip as on PBS. The guy looks like Billy.

kenneth
12-02-2012, 03:22 PM
A couple things are really interesting about this clip. Dennis Edwards, who was so hip as a member of the Temptations, seems to be the only one sporting a processed head of hair [[though the lead "singer's" is definitely not a natural), in spite of the fact that he looks much younger than the veteran Contours.

The other odd thing, definitely more disturbing, is how the original singer must have felt seeing someone else lip synch his song! It's one thing to have been Florence Ballard or Ros Ashford and see later Supremes or Vandellas lip synching to background parts, but I don't think I've ever been aware before of Motown subbing a new "lead singer" on a prerecorded track. Is anyone aware of other examples? Pretty lousy on Motown's part, if you ask me.

marv2
12-02-2012, 03:40 PM
A couple things are really interesting about this clip. Dennis Edwards, who was so hip as a member of the Temptations, seems to be the only one sporting a processed head of hair [[though the lead "singer's" is definitely not a natural), in spite of the fact that he looks much younger than the veteran Contours.

The other odd thing, definitely more disturbing, is how the original singer must have felt seeing someone else lip synch his song! It's one thing to have been Florence Ballard or Ros Ashford and see later Supremes or Vandellas lip synching to background parts, but I don't think I've ever been aware before of Motown subbing a new "lead singer" on a prerecorded track. Is anyone aware of other examples? Pretty lousy on Motown's part, if you ask me.

I don't know, but what I found most interesting is that by the time of this clip, Sylvester Potts was only original member still in the group.

soulwally
12-02-2012, 03:55 PM
The 'lead' is Jerry Green. He does look like Billy. The other guy besides Potts and Edwards is Council [[or Count, his nickname) Gay. I believe.