PDA

View Full Version : Hallmark releases for 2013?

test

mr_postman
12-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Are Hallmark planning any releases for 2013? It's been wonderful to have rare albums like Tamla Motown #1 and The Gospel Stars LP released on CD.

calvin
12-01-2012, 12:36 PM
The EU changed the copyright law from 50 to 70 years in September 2011 - it didn't apply to music released in 1961, so those titles went into the public domain in the EU and could be re-issued [[vinyl rips from the original LPs) by anyone who wanted to. I'm not sure, but I think the 1962 releases are covered, meaning they won't enter the public domain in the EU until 2033.

Hotspurman - can you please clarify the new copyright laws? As far as I know, Hallmark has only issued Motown stuff that's in the public domain, so this new law may mean no more recent Motown re-issues from them, at least not for another 20 years.

There are mixed feelings about this. Sure, the record companies are happy about it, as well as top artists whose work is available and now protected for longer. But I understand that some "minor" artists are less happy, as they'd like to see their work reissued but the labels in many cases have no interest in it and the artists aren't able to do it themselves.

I would have loved to have official releases of the Twistin' Kings and Gospel Stars from the master tapes, but I'm not sure we would have ever seen them. I bought those two from Hallmark. I'd still love to see official releases of those, for better sound quality, but I guess it's even less likely now following the unofficial releases.

A couple of articles on this topic:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/arts/music/european-union-extends-copyright-on-recordings.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/sep/15/copyright-extension-cliffs-law-beatles

Hotspurman
12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I’ve been absent without leave for a while, so I’ve only just seen this post – sorry!

Whilst the copyright term is changing from 50 years to 70 years, it won’t take effect until all countries in the EU are ready to implement the law – Britain was ready to go in 2011, but some of our East European neighbours were some way behind. My understanding is that the law is likely to come into force during 2013, just in time to prevent The Beatles falling into the public domain.

First the good news – this means we do at least get to release 1962 albums come 1 January 2013, and on our release schedule is:

Adam Faith

Adam Faith

Al Martino

Exciting Voice Of Al Martino

Andy Williams

Andy Williams’ Best

Aretha Franklin

Electrifying Aretha Franklin

Beach Boys

Surfin’ Safari

Beatles

The Early Years

Ben E King

Don’t Play That Song

Bo Diddley

Bo Diddley

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Newhart

Button Down Mind On TV

Bobby Pickett

Monster Mash

Bobby Rydell

All Hits By Bobby Rydell

Bobby Vee

Bobby Vee’s Golden Greats

Booker T & The MG’S

Green Onions

Brian Hyland

Sealed With A Kiss

Chris Montez

Let’s Dance

Chubby Checker

Chubby Checker’S Greatest Hits

Cliff Richard

32 Minutes & 17 Seconds

Conway Twitty

Conway Twitty Sings

Dion

Dion’s Greatest Hits

Duane Eddy

$1,000,000.00 Worth Of Twang Volume 2

Eddie Cochran

Never To Be Forgotten

Elvis Presley

Pot Luck

Etta James

At Last

Everly Brothers

Golden Hits Of The Everly Brothers

Gene Chandler

Duke Of Earl

James Brown

James Brown & The Famous Flames Tour Of The U.S.A.

Joe Brown

A Picture Of You

Johnnie Ray

Johnnie Ray

Johnny Burnette

Roses Are Red

Johnny Cash

The Sound Of Johnny Cash

Johnny Mathis

Rapture

Julie London

Love Letters

Little Stevie Wonder

The Jazz Soul Of Stevie Wonder

Lou Rawls

Stormy Monday

Marty Robbins

Marty After Midnight

Marvelettes

Marvelettes Sing

Mary Wells

The One Who Really Loves You

Mel Torme

Comin’ Home Baby

Michael Bentine

It’s A Square World

Michel Legrand

Broadway Is My Beat

Nelson Riddle

Lolita Soundtrack

Original Cast

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

Quincy Jones

Quintessence

Roy Orbison

Roy Orbison’s Greatest Hits

Sam Cooke

The Best Of Sam Cooke

Sandy Nelson

Drummin’ Up A Storm

Supremes

Meet The Supremes

Timi Yuro

Soul

Ventures

Ventures Play Telstar, Lonely Bull And Others

Willie Nelson

And Then I Wrote

Sorry about the format – I can’t be bothered to retype everything from scratch, so I’ve cut and pasted from a spreadsheet.

For February, we have:

Acker Bilk

Above The Stars

Brenda Lee

All The Way

David Rose

Plays The Stripper

Drifters

Save The Last Dance For Me

Four Seasons

Sherry & 11 Others

Gary U.S. Bonds

Greatest Hits

Gene Pitney

The Many Sides Of Gene Pitney

Helen Shapiro

Tops With Me

Isley Brothers

Twist & Shout

Jan & Dean

Jan & Dean’s Golden Hits

Marv Johnson

I Believe

Miracles

I'll Try Something New

Peter, Paul & Mary

Peter, Paul & Mary

Shadows

Out Of The Shadows

Andy Williams

Moon River And Other Great Movie Themes

Aretha Franklin

Tender, Moving, Swinging Aretha Franklin

Bill Haley & The Comets

Twistin’ Knights At The Roundtable

Bo Diddley

Bo Diddley’S A Twister

Bobby Darin

Sings Ray Charles

Bobby Vee

Take Good Care Of My Baby

Bobby Vinton

Roses Are Red

Bruce Channel

Hey Baby

Connie Francis

Do The Twist With Connie Francis

Contours

Do You Love Me

Earl Washington

All Star Jazz

Eddie Holland

Eddie Holland

Fabian

16 Fabulous Hits

Fats Domino

Twistin’ The Stomp

Film Soundtrack

It’S Trad Dad!

Film Soundtrack

The Music Man

Fleetwoods

Fleetwoods’ Greatest Hits

Frank Sinatra

Great Songs From Great Britain

Gladys Knight & The Pips

Letter Full Of Tears

Hayley Mills

Let’S Get Together With Hayley Mills

Ike & Tina Turner

Dance

Jackie Wilson

At The Copa

Jimmy Clanton

Venus In Blue Jeans

Jimmy Reed

Best Of Jimmy Reed

Joan Baez

Joan Baez In Concert

Kenny Ball, Chris Barber & Acker Bilk

Best Of Ball, Barber & Bilk

Lalo Schifrin

Lalo Brilliance

Lee Dorsey

Ya Ya

Lenny Bruce

American

Little Stevie Wonder

Tribute To Uncle Ray

Lonnie Donegan

Golden Age Of Donegan

Marvelettes

Playboy

Nancy Wilson

Hello Young Lovers

Norrie Paramor

Staged For Sound & Strings

Odetta

Odetta & The Blues

Paul Anka

Diana

Paul Anka

Paul Anka’s Big, Big 15

Ray Stevens

Rock & Roll Show

Reverend Columbus Mann

They Shall Be Mine

Rick Nelson

Album Seven By Rick

Solomon Burke

Greatest Hits

Stage Cast Recording

Blitz

Stanley Turrentine

Dearly Beloved

Staples Singers

Best Of The Staple Singers

Various Artists

Motown Special

The Marv Johnson album may get pulled – I can’t get a decent enough original vinyl copy from which to master, but you’ll certainly enjoy the Earl Washington album…

I know there are some who don’t like what we do [[claiming us to be bootleggers, which I actually take offence at), whilst others appreciate the chance to buy some of these classic albums that the majors have overlooked for 50 years or more.

Taking my corporate hat off, I think the change in the term is misguided. I’m friends with a number of artists who enjoyed their heyday in the 1960s and bemoan the fact that their music isn’t more readily available – some of these acts go on tour and would love to be able to sell CDs at their concerts, but since the majors control the originals and won’t release them, they are missing out on potential sales. Similarly, when the acts ask about their repertoire being made available for download, for some reason they are never made a priority…

I’m pleased to see Universal are still dipping into the Motown vault and releasing things for the first time [[albeit on download – I’d prefer some of these on CD), and what is left of the other major companies must similarly be sitting on vast quantities of unreleased material, along with thousands of items that have never been reissued on CD. Unfortunately, we are now pretty much at their mercy for the next twenty years…..

Hotspurman
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Oops - just spotted an error on The Marvelettes - the title of our album is in fact Smash Hits of '62 - it's the same album as Marvelettes Sing of course, but Smash Hits was the 1962 release and Sing was a later reissue.

mysterysinger
12-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Well, this is great news, some excellent titles there, not just the Motown ones though I'll have to ensure I do get those, of course. I'm hoping I've got all the Motown ones issued so far [[think so) and aa big thanks for these on CD [[the Roy O are especially welcome).

Worth remembering too, that Hallmark are not the only players on the scene, though do seem to be the most faithfull with repro covers etc. I shall enjoy these.

alanh
12-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Hotspurman, thanks for all the info. When the new law comes into effect, what will happen to all the CDs already issued by companies like Hallmark, One Day, Fantastic Voyage etc? Will they have to be deleted, or will you be able to continue distributing what you've already released? When 75 years comes into effect it will mean that music from the 50s and early 60s comes back into copyright - so will we lose access to what you've been able to put out over the last few years? [[ie buy them now, or miss out.)

Starguard4
12-13-2012, 05:59 AM
The Marv Johnson album may get pulled – I can’t get a decent enough original vinyl copy...

Shame about the Marv Johnson album. Could you please let us know the final decision, as and when?

Starguard4
12-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Hotspurman, thanks for all the info. When the new law comes into effect, what will happen to all the CDs already issued by companies like Hallmark, One Day, Fantastic Voyage etc? Will they have to be deleted, or will you be able to continue distributing what you've already released? When 75 years comes into effect it will mean that music from the 50s and early 60s comes back into copyright - so will we lose access to what you've been able to put out over the last few years? [[ie buy them now, or miss out.)

Isn't it 70 years, not 75? But that aside, I too would like to know the answer to the deletion question, and sooner rather than later. The loss of the Fantastic Voyage and Acrobat CD sets would be particularly regretful.

calvin
12-13-2012, 07:41 AM

My understanding - I'll leave it to Hotspurman to confirm - is that music which is already in the public domain will stay in the public domain. So titles already issued will not need to be deleted, and indeed new titles of music through 1962 could still be issued in the future.

calvin
12-13-2012, 07:44 AM
The Marv Johnson LP above, "I Believe", was that recorded at Hitsville and released/distributed by United Artists?

alanh
12-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, Starguard it's 70 years. Apologies, my brain malfunctioned!

Hotspurman
12-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Just to confirm a couple of points - the extension will be to 70 years, not 75. The good news is that at least as far as Europe is concerned, everything that fell into the public domain will remain there, so all our our albums will remain available. It also means that we will still be able to release, either physically or digitally, anything that was released in 1962 and earlier. As you can see from the lists above, I think we've captured all of the important albums [[although I've got another list of some 100 albums that are also going to be issued this year), so going forward I guess we will have to concentrate of ensuring the complete discography of Roy Fox, Ray Conniff, Al Bowlly etc etc is made available. I bet you can hardly wait!

mysterysinger
12-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Not very long ago I obtained a Hallmark CD by The Miracles, "Christmas With The Miracles" [[703812 2002 Made In Israel). Not an "out of copyright" issue as, indeed, it is released under licence from San juan Music Group. However, I'm intrigured as to the origins of these recordings by The Miracles. Do you have info Hotspurman?

Calv1971
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Dear Hotspurman

One album l would love you to release, if a vinyl copy could be ever be located, is The Lewis Sisters "Voices Strings and Percussions" issued on the Verve label, in 1960 l believe.
Does anyone out there actually own a copy?
Hopefully you will still issue Marv Johnson's "I Believe" .
Thanks for all your releases during 2012 and look forward to your 2013 batch of releases.

Hotspurman
12-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Here's the review on Allmusic:

This strange album makes you wonder what market Verve Records was shooting at with this one. You wonder how many they pressed -- 100 copies would have been excessive and tough to move. Producer Russ Garcia utilizes Helen and Kay Lewis' voices as violins on this out of print album of Russian composer, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky movements. Maybe this was intended for Tchaikovsky's janissaries, fanatics, and completists who collect anything regarding Tchaikovsky.

I've had a look at my usual sites and cannot find a vinyl copy - if anyone out there can help, let me know and we'll give it some thought...

Hotspurman
12-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Christ With The Miracles was indeed licensed from San Juan and is something of a re-record from the 1980s or 90s. We also released similar albums by The Platters and Drifters, with all three having similarly styled covers. The Made in Israel legend is just something we are legally required to feature, so it is not something an Israeli company is issuing.

Hotspurman
12-15-2012, 06:53 AM
I've listed above our releases for January and February, but as you will all appreciate, there were scores of other albums originally released in 1962 that we are planning on re-issuing during the course of 2013. Just as a taster, I can tell you that the list includes two albums by The Jazz Crusaders, The Sherrys and Aretha Franklin. More to come - watch this space!

theboyfromxtown
12-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Calvin

Check your sdf inbox

theboyfromxtown
12-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Shame about the Marv Johnson album. Could you please let us know the final decision, as and when?

I have it........somewhere in a cupboard! But it might be mono.

calvin
12-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Calvin

Check your sdf inbox

Hi John, I just checked, it says "Inbox contains 0 messages. You have 0 messages stored, of a total 50 allowed." So I sent you a message, but strangely after I did my sent items says it also contains 0 messages... I must be doing something wrong, can you check if you got a message from me?

Kamasu_Jr
12-15-2012, 11:31 AM
I appreciate getting the chance to purchase some original albums from 1962 on CD. And they are offered at a good price. I have already pre-ordered some from Amazon.UK. I'll get some of the Motown titles, [[Earl Washington & Stevie Wonder)- some of which have already been made available. FYI: A lot of the titles are already in print by other companies like At Last by Etta James, Green Onions by Booker T & the MGs, Save the Last Dance for Me by the Drifters and the titles by Aretha Franklin are available in her Complete Columbia Recordings. Why was this public domain law implemented just to save the Beatles? A lot of their albums are still available.

Hotspurman
12-15-2012, 01:24 PM
The answer will very much depend on who you ask.

The record industry [[Universal, Warners and Sony) will tell you that legislation to extend the public domain law was needed in order to protect the investment these companies make in new talent. They will also tell you that the longer lifespan of artists today means that they should be entitled to longer copyright protection.

Everyone else will tell you it was extended in order to protect the cash cows. The Beatles have sold over a billion units since they exploded onto the scene in 1963, and just like Disney who re-release all of their key films every seven years or so [[in order to capture the next generation of fans), so EMI have continually re-issued The Beatles recordings. Whatever format there is that replaces the CD or download, you can rest assured that The Beatles material will once again be made available, at full price, to capitalise. They wouldn’t be able to do it if The Beatles early catalogue was to fall into the public domain. And this is not just about The Beatles – think of the other artists who also found themselves perilously close to the PD law – The Rolling Stones and Beach Boys, for example. Add your own artists to the list.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – in twenty years time, the same argument will crop up again as whichever record company or companies are left will once again request [[and no doubt receive) a further change in the law. Assuming the US does not alter their term before then, this will mean Europe will have to extend to 95 years in order to achieve worldwide harmony, but I suspect the industry will still not be satisfied. I once read somewhere that one American actually suggested asking for a copyright term of a million years and when told that any copyright term was not supposed to be perpetual, further suggested one million years minus one day!

Like it or not, we are heading towards perpetual copyright.

Starguard4
12-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Everyone else will tell you it was extended in order to protect the cash cows...

...or extended [[read that as "robbing" the public domain), to feed corporate greed.

Probably both.

calvin
04-24-2013, 03:31 PM
This thread's a bit old, but there were questions above as to whether Hallmark would release Marv Johnson's "I Believe".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Believe-Marv-Johnson/dp/B00CHJ5KB6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366748985&sr=1-1&keywords=hallmark+i+believe

RossHolloway
04-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Has anyone purchased the Earl Washington cd/album? If so, any feedback?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Star-Jazz-Earl-Washington/dp/B00BMOTBKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366832225&sr=1-1&keywords=hallmark+earl+washington

Calv1971
04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
I bought the Earl Washington CD and enjoyed it, good sound quality too.

RossHolloway
04-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks Calv1971. I think I will pick this one up too

Calv1971
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Marv Johnson's album "I Believe" now gets a release on May20th.

Kamasu_Jr
04-28-2013, 11:35 AM
I have it........somewhere in a cupboard! But it might be mono.

Interesting the Marv Johnson I Believe album will be released by Hallmark in May, according to Amazon.Com. Too bad, we may not see Hallmark albums from 1963 or 1964.