PDA

View Full Version : When the lovelight ,,, male voice

test

honest man
12-01-2012, 06:01 AM
He llo listening to WTLSSTHE and thinking about it wonder why Brian Holland ''' growls in song[love it],especially as Supremes were being pushed as Top Female act,why add male part, just a thought. cheers.

mowsville
12-01-2012, 08:39 AM
for no other reason than added effect...its like saying why were the Andantes added to everything they ever put their voices to...because the song needed it/them...simples!!!!

splanky
12-01-2012, 04:49 PM
The Andantes were added to various recordings either in call and response support [[as on
Marvin Gaye's records) or to enhance the harmonies [[Four Tops,etc). The male voice on When The Lovelight to me is just an augmentation, an effect that creates a kind of snap
tension in the bridge and it works. It's been done before with other girl groups in and outside of Detriot. And actually it doesn't really matter that the group being sold is all women. The set-up for The Marvellettes My Baby Must Be A Magician is a male voice,
Melvin Franklin declaring:
You are under my power. It is the power of love...

arrr&bee
12-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Motown knew how to use voices[male or female]for the best effect,the same can't be said of other songs of the era...the royalettes[i wanna meet him]great song but the arranger should've been fired those male voices gotta go....motown forever!!!

theboyfromxtown
12-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I think you will find that is not Brian Holland on "Lovelight", it's his brother Eddie Holland

Methuselah2
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
And perhaps the most fun of all the Motown 'extra added voice' recordings: The 'female' voice at the start of The Contours' FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE. Supplied by the song's co-writer . . . Bobby Rogers!

smark21
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
The male voice bit on Lovelight works….judging by the sound he makes, the lovelight is certainly in his eyes, or at least, there’s a gleam. I also like Harold Beatty’s bit on the end of “Sweet Dream Machine”.

arrr&bee
12-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Listen to the supremes on[not now i'll tell you later-the temps]or the adantes on[it's growing-the temps]!

theboyfromxtown
12-01-2012, 06:42 PM
And perhaps the most fun of all the Motown 'extra added voice' recordings: The 'female' voice at the start of The Contours' FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE. Supplied by the song's co-writer . . . Bobby Rogers!

Check out this old SDF post. PC is Patricia Cosby the wife of Henry "Hank" Cosby

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/149296.html?1184059277

luke
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I always thought it was Levi!

Methuselah2
12-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Check out this old SDF post. PC is Patricia Cosby the wife of Henry "Hank" Cosby

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/149296.html?1184059277

Thanks, Tbfxt. That's an interesting link. And I believe it about Patricia Cosby recording the intro on the original. But the link doesn't conclusively settle who appears on the version that became to be known. Certainly the fact that it has long been thought to be Bobby Rogers doesn't settle the issue either. It would be helpful if the record's producers came forward on this one. Or if Bobby Rogers is reading this, "Bobby, is that you we hear at the very start of this great song you and Smokey wrote? What's the deal? Your input would be greatly--and gratefully--appreciated. Thank you."

144man
12-01-2012, 08:28 PM
I always thought it was Levi!

So did I, but John Lester is usually right.

marv2
12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
A male voice was on "Someday We'll Be Together" [[Johnny Bristol)
"Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" [[Smokey Robinson)
"Sweet Dream Machine" [[unknown, but I believe it is one of the Holland Bros.)

smark21
12-02-2012, 03:09 PM
According to the Let Yourself Go boxset booklet, the male voice on Sweet Dream Machine belongs to Harold Beatty.

jobeterob
12-02-2012, 03:17 PM
For years and years, I thought Mary Wilson was the male voice on Someday We'll be Together.

soulwally
12-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Lawrence Payton on Marvin and Tammi's Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[No, no baby).

Syreeta on Martha's I can't dance to that music you're playing.

Melvin Franklin on My baby must be a magician