PDA

View Full Version : Motown Quiz- with a difference

test

snakepit
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
:mad:

Whilst on a cruise holiday, aboard the Celebrity Constellation, I entered a competition advertised as "Motown Trivia"..

15 snippets played...1 point for sing title, 1 point for artist.

I'm delighted to inform you that I won the competition [[30 points, pens & luggage tags the prize).

However I had to bite my tongue, stamp my feet, curse underneath my breath to hear snippets of:

James Brown "I Feel Good"
Main Ingredient "Everybody plays the fool"
Gk &TP "Midnight train to Georgia"
Delfonics "La La means I love you"

Not surprising I guess...........it seems that "Motown" is officially a by-word for any Black record from the USA between 1960-1980 [[ that seems to be Celebrity's take on it at any rate) :mad:

motony
11-30-2012, 11:33 AM
know how ya feel...it gets to be infuriating, seems the new guard is trying to rewrite history about everything. Several years ago the Arabian Knights Dinner Theater was advertising a big Motown New Years Eve Show starring the Crystals, The Platters & The Coasters....if you try & correct these promoters ect they just give you that "deer-in the headlights " look.They don't have a clue.

144man
11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
They're probably the same people who call spiders "insects"!

Motown4Ever518
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
:mad:

Whilst on a cruise holiday, aboard the Celebrity Constellation, I entered a competition advertised as "Motown Trivia"..

Snakepit congrats. This reminds me of being in Disney when my daughter appreciated such things, and being on a shuttle bus with three "suits", to whom my wife and I shared that there was not a single Motown record played in the at the four days we were there @ at the Pop Century[[60's Theme area). When we were asked to explain who these Motown artists were, we mentioned a few, to which our market research team added a few non Motown artists into the conversation and said they would work on it. My point being that to a large segment of the population, Motown Music could mean any music by African Americans without regard to style.

15 snippets played...1 point for sing title, 1 point for artist.

I'm delighted to inform you that I won the competition [[30 points, pens & luggage tags the prize).

However I had to bite my tongue, stamp my feet, curse underneath my breath to hear snippets of:

James Brown "I Feel Good"
Main Ingredient "Everybody plays the fool"
Gk &TP "Midnight train to Georgia"
Delfonics "La La means I love you"

Not surprising I guess...........it seems that "Motown" is officially a by-word for any Black record from the USA between 1960-1980 [[ that seems to be Celebrity's take on it at any rate) :mad:
Snakepit congrats. This reminds me of being in Disney when my daughter appreciated such things, and being on a shuttle bus with three "suits", to whom my wife and I shared that there was not a single Motown record played in the at the four days we were there @ at the Pop Century[[60's Theme area). When we were asked to explain who these Motown artists were, we mentioned a few, to which our market research team added a few non Motown artists into the conversation and said they would work on it. My point being that to a large segment of the population, Motown Music could mean any music by African Americans without regard to style.