PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes "Mr Boogyman" & "Dance Fever" 1975

test

franjoy56
11-30-2012, 01:42 AM
i pulled my copy of Let Yourself go the other night and delighted in hearing Mary's lead on Mr Boogyman" and Scherrie's lead on "Dance Fever" my goodness who was responsible for selecting tracks for the Supremes 1975 album, they really made some big mistakes; those two songs would been big disco hits.

smark21
11-30-2012, 08:48 AM
I think both songs are awful, especially Mr. Boogeyman. After hearing them on the Let Yourself Go box set, I could understand why they were vaulted. Bend a Little and Can We Love Again, on the other hand, should have been put on the album in place of the slutty Early Morning Love and the sappy poor me song Where is it I Belong.

franjoy56
12-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I think both songs are awful, especially Mr. Boogeyman. After hearing them on the Let Yourself Go box set, I could understand why they were vaulted. Bend a Little and Can We Love Again, on the other hand, should have been put on the album in place of the slutty Early Morning Love and the sappy poor me song Where is it I Belong.

What sounds like soul & disco to me and what sounds like trash to you are two different things and I beg to differ. This was the mid 70's and the tone of the day was disco, and the supremes did disco to adapt like or not. Mr. Boogyman and Dance Fever were disco songs that should have burned up the dance floor, but they were not released. Early Morning Love did hit the disco charts in the top 10, So the Supremes had to adapt and adapt they did with these funky tracks everybody else did for the record "He's My Man" went to $1 on the disco charts and that too was a funky dance hit I remember hearing it in all the clubs in NYC. Diana had "Love Hangover" and that was just as funky but the difference here is that it was promoted 100%.

markdtiller
12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Yes not partial to "Mr Boogie" and "Dance Fever" but love "Dance Fever" and "Can We Love Again". I do like "Where Is It I Belong"

smark21
12-01-2012, 08:33 PM
FranJoy, it’s 2012. I really don’t care if a song could have been a hit in 1975 when I listen to it now. All that matters to me is whether I like it and why I like it. Bend a Little is dynamic to my ears. And I like the jazzy touches and Mary’s strong lead on Can We Love Again. The lyrics are decent as well and Mary does a fine job telling the story in that song. Early Morning Love has a decent musical track, but the lyrics turn me off. And Where is it I Belong is just a poor me type of song which I don’t care much for, and musically it’s bland, especially compared to Can We Love Again.

Changing gears back to 1975 and chart performance, didn’t The Supremes perform He’s My Man on a number of TV shows when the song was released? I remember reading on one of the forums a few years back that TV wise, He’s My Man was performed by the Supremes most often on TV during the time of initial release of a single. If that’s the case, it help proves that all the promotion in the world can’t make a difference. If the public isn’t interested, they’re not going to buy. BTW, I do like He’s My Man. It’s a fun song and a nice hybrid of disco and Vegas and I enjoy the trading off between Mary and Scherrie on lead. Their TV performances were cute as well, especially when Scherrie goes for the first big belting note while Mary and Cindy look on with sassy, dismissive expressions.

franjoy56
12-01-2012, 09:03 PM
You and I both know their singles were not available in the record store, I could not find d"He's My Man" as a single I bought the album, so if the records are not in the stores does not matter how many tv performances they make, supply and demand makes money I did hear the song in the club, I also heard IGLMHDTW, but my sister bought the single for me, it was also a #3 disco hit so was wdigfh but the single was nowhere to be found in the stores eith. yes it was 1975 and my question was who was responsible for eliminating those two dance tracks off the Supremes 1975 album that is all.

jobeterob
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Who were the Producers of 1975? HDH, Hal Davis, Clayton Ivey, Terry Woodford??? Looks like a mish mash.

They had some good songs on there but they sure screwed up the songs they chose to release. He's My Man is way too choppy, not a strong melody, a lot of rat tat tat. Early Morning Love sucked too. And they totally ignore Where Do I Go From Here, from the team with that biggest hits that year. And they ignore Color My World Blue and You Can't Stop a Girl in Love. Whoever chose the singles should have been demoted. The next most stupid first release after that was Eaten Alive instead of Chain Reaction.

Kamasu_Jr
12-01-2012, 10:32 PM

I agree. But you know you can't argue with some Supremes fanatics who think everything they did was perfection. If the Supremes had farted on record, some of the fans would say: "Ohh, did you hear that? They pooted in perfect harmony. The Supremes are all that some people listen to. This Is Why I Believe In You makes me wanna GAG! I'd probably go stone crazy if all I listened to were the darned Supremes. But that's just me.

marv2
12-02-2012, 12:23 AM
FranJoy, it’s 2012. I really don’t care if a song could have been a hit in 1975 when I listen to it now. All that matters to me is whether I like it and why I like it. Bend a Little is dynamic to my ears. And I like the jazzy touches and Mary’s strong lead on Can We Love Again. The lyrics are decent as well and Mary does a fine job telling the story in that song. Early Morning Love has a decent musical track, but the lyrics turn me off. And Where is it I Belong is just a poor me type of song which I don’t care much for, and musically it’s bland, especially compared to Can We Love Again.

Changing gears back to 1975 and chart performance, didn’t The Supremes perform He’s My Man on a number of TV shows when the song was released? I remember reading on one of the forums a few years back that TV wise, He’s My Man was performed by the Supremes most often on TV during the time of initial release of a single. If that’s the case, it help proves that all the promotion in the world can’t make a difference. If the public isn’t interested, they’re not going to buy. BTW, I do like He’s My Man. It’s a fun song and a nice hybrid of disco and Vegas and I enjoy the trading off between Mary and Scherrie on lead. Their TV performances were cute as well, especially when Scherrie goes for the first big belting note while Mary and Cindy look on with sassy, dismissive expressions.

You're right about the song "He's My Man" being performed several times during 1975. You just couldn't find it in a store to buy it.

marv2
12-02-2012, 12:25 AM
You and I both know their singles were not available in the record store, I could not find d"He's My Man" as a single I bought the album, so if the records are not in the stores does not matter how many tv performances they make, supply and demand makes money I did hear the song in the club, I also heard IGLMHDTW, but my sister bought the single for me, it was also a #3 disco hit so was wdigfh but the single was nowhere to be found in the stores eith. yes it was 1975 and my question was who was responsible for eliminating those two dance tracks off the Supremes 1975 album that is all.

Fran, you are right about retail availability. I was saying that before reading your post. Here you had the Suipremes on several television programs including the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson singing it and then you get to the stores and it is nowhere to be found!

franjoy56
12-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Fran, you are right about retail availability. I was saying that before reading your post. Here you had the Suipremes on several television programs including the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson singing it and then you get to the stores and it is nowhere to be found! Thank you Marvin that is my theory. sometimes you just can't win, and to those who think im stuck on the Supremes

I just purchased the Rolling Stones Grr, The Miracles Going to a Go Go, I Hear A Symphony 2 Cd
The Hollies Greatest Hits, and Biggie Smalls More Money more problems on itunes. So stuck in the Supremes I am not. I just asked a simple question on who was responsible for selecting the tracks for the 1975 album. I am getting ready to email Mary to tell her how much I love the "MY Supremes" issue maybe i will get the answer from her when I go to Philly next year.

marv2
12-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Thank you Marvin that is my theory. sometimes you just can't win, and to those who think im stuck on the Supremes

I just purchased the Rolling Stones Grr, The Miracles Going to a Go Go, I Hear A Symphony 2 Cd
The Hollies Greatest Hits, and Biggie Smalls More Money more problems on itunes. So stuck in the Supremes I am not. I just asked a simple question on who was responsible for selecting the tracks for the 1975 album. I am getting ready to email Mary to tell her how much I love the "MY Supremes" issue maybe i will get the answer from her when I go to Philly next year.

I know what you mean. You see I have a vinyl collection of about 2300 albums so you know I like and listen to a lot of different but great artists. The Supremes just seem to come up most often in this section of the forum. Yes email Mary, she will love hearing from you!

luke
12-02-2012, 05:07 PM
If Motown had really promoted Hes My Man it could have gone top ten--it had that "hit" sound with the Motown sound updated to the 70s. Everyone has the right to like any songs they want- geeez.

Kamasu_Jr
12-03-2012, 04:10 PM
And everyone has the right to dislike any song want.

smark21
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
FranJoy, don’t be so thin skinned if someone doesn’t like the same songs and performances you do. I’ve no problems that you like MR. Boogie or Dance Fever. As the old cliché goes, diff’rent strokes. I can understand why someone might like those songs. But I don’t. And while I don’t like, it doesn’t bother me if you do.

If I were the exec producer of Supremes 75, I would have also removed This is Why I Believe in You from the album. It’s just a meh song with weak production, though Scherrie does her best to put the song over at the end. I would have put in either It’s In His Kiss or the Mary-Cindy-Scherrie shared lead version of The Sha-La Bandit in its place.

franjoy56
12-03-2012, 09:51 PM
FranJoy, don’t be so thin skinned if someone doesn’t like the same songs and performances you do. I’ve no problems that you like MR. Boogie or Dance Fever. As the old cliché goes, diff’rent strokes. I can understand why someone might like those songs. But I don’t. And while I don’t like, it doesn’t bother me if you do.

If I were the exec producer of Supremes 75, I would have also removed This is Why I Believe in You from the album. It’s just a meh song with weak production, though Scherrie does her best to put the song over at the end. I would have put in either It’s In His Kiss or the Mary-Cindy-Scherrie shared lead version of The Sha-La Bandit in its place.
this is why in believe you, was a song that showed more versatitly that gospel feel ala Albertina Walker as never heard before from the Sup's, which is why it was included in the new album whereas, Its in his Kiss was more old school which is why it was left off thankfully, but Sha La Bandit is another story, and yes Scherrie does a good job on both songs This is why I believe in you was also a top ten on the disco Charts and it wasn't even released as a single. That album was filled with a whole new sound for the group and the fans ate it up too bad not enough of them heard it at the time. I didn't even know that album was out I accidently saw it in the bin in downtown Manahattan and of course i snatched it up after waiting for 2.5 years.

franjoy56
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
and I appreciate that you have different opinions of songs that are mentioned, Smark i know you have a keen ear when it comes to Motown music, we just have differenct tastes, that what makes us unique.

smark21
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks FranJoy. Although I’m sure our tastes have some overlap. Do you like Color My World Blue off that album? It’s my favorite song from Supremes 75.

franjoy56
12-03-2012, 10:39 PM
oh yes Color My World Blue it is a standout I have both versions on my ipod. that would have made a great single.

kenneth
12-04-2012, 11:21 AM
I think "Mr. Boogie" and "Dance Fever" would have sound dated even back then. They were largely derivative, unoriginal tunes.

Overall, I loved the Supremes '75 album. I do think it lacked some truly standout tracks but it was fun to listen to and overall very melodic tunes and some great singing. I did like "He's My Man" about the best but I also liked the fact they got to sing more adult material for a change such as "Early Morning Love" and "Where Do I Go From Here," which signaled a different direction for the group.

I think the main problem with the album is that, although enjoyable, once it was finished it wasn't that memorable. To me, in this way it was similar to the "Floy Joy" album. Nice album, good singing, but lacking some real standout material.

marybrewster
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
The best song off the '75 album, IMO, is "It's All Been Said Before".

smark21
12-04-2012, 09:16 PM
I think Side 2 [[remember sides?) of Supremes 75 is among the best sides found on an in the Supremes career.

tamlaUK
12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
There are some wonderful songs from these sessions. I suppose at the end of the day it is all a matter of personal taste. I love Scherrie's leads on 'It's All Been Said Before', 'Colour My World Blue', 'Where Do I Go From Here' and 'You Can't Stop A Girl In Love'. I love the harmonies on 'It's All Been Said Before'. I enjoy Mary's leads on 'You Turn Me Around' and 'Where Is It I Belong'. There are, of course some wonderful tracks that for whatever reason didn't make inclusioin for the album release 37 years ago.....tracks such as 'Bend A Little', 'Can We Love Again' and 'Sha La Bandit'.
I am happy that all these songs have since been released on the LET YOURSELF GO boxset

greg jones
12-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Mary,

It's All Been Said Before was to be the 1st single for Mary, Cindy & Scherrie as they were working on a complete album being produced by Michael Lloyd and Mike Curb. Mike Curb wanted them on his label, distributed by Warner Bros., but everytime that Mary looked outside Motown for a recording deal, Berry would squash it. Fortunately, Mary getting Curb to produce, pressured Berry into re-signing the ladies. i believe that that Mike Curb & Michael Lloyd were also responsible for arranging the recording sessions in Muscle Shoals with Rick Hall and crew. Usually, Mike Curb has a rider in his producing contract that he keeps all the Masters that he produces, so not sure who has the multi-Track original masters of those sessions.... Curb or Universal? Since both Berry and Mike wanted them, maybe they each have copies!?!?