PDA

View Full Version : New book on Diana Ross and her fans

test

smark21
11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Her-Tribe-Ultimate-Collection/dp/147921180X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354243867&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Diva+and+her+tribe

jobeterob
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book Description
Publication Date: November 27, 2012
In The Diva And Her Tribe, DIANA ROSS, The Ultimate Collection, the legendary Motown entertainer is viewed through the experiences of more than 40 of her most devoted fans. Celebrity friends and admirers like Berry Gordy, Patti LaBelle, Questlove, Whitney Houston, Paul Shaffer, Martha Reeves, and Smokey Robinson are quoted in this engaging oral history that captures the essence of one of the entertainment industry's most successful and most important figures.

soulster
11-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Her fans? This oughta be good!

helga
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Didn't this guy already write a book of worship for Diana? I think I'll pass.

captainjames
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
The last book that Tom wrote was GREAT but I may wait on this one too unless there is something new to be told.

soulster
11-30-2012, 08:26 PM
And i'm sure there will be tons of threads about it here.

marv2
11-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Didn't this guy already write a book of worship for Diana? I think I'll pass.

Yeah, he's the one that acts as if Diane is some sort of deity instead of a played out singer.

marv2
11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
The last book that Tom wrote was GREAT but I may wait on this one too unless there is something new to be told.

Sure there is. There's the Grammy fart and the trips to the grocery store to discuss. Get with the program! LOL!!!!

Roberta75
11-30-2012, 08:48 PM
And i'm sure there will be tons of threads about it here.

Hopefully the threads about this book that you are predicting will get as much attention as the threads you start dear soulster. LOL ;)

No offense to Miss Diane Ross or her fans but I'd be happier if this book was written by the large fans base of the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves.

Roberta

smark21
11-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Did you enjoy Martha’s autobiography “Confessions of a Motown Diva”, Roberta?

As for Adrahtas, I’ve leafed through his Diana biography A Lifetime to get Here. Some nice pics, but it was way too worshipful of Diana Ross. It was written by a die hard fan who couldn’t admit that Ross that made any mistakes and any faults that happened in Ross’ life were the fault of Mary Wilson or others. I know he attends a lot of Ross shows and travels with other die hards from city to city when Ross is on tour, so on one hand, having access to other die hard fans may allow them to drop their guard and share their stories, but since he’s a fanatic, I doubt he’ll be able to provide a suitably disengaged and analytical perspective in writing about such die hard fans of Diana Ross.

Roberta75
11-30-2012, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=smark21;133660]Did you enjoy Martha’s autobiography “Confessions of a Motown Diva”, Roberta?

I enjoy everything sang recorded or written by the First Lady ofb Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves smark21. Martha is in a class by herself. She is not only the best singer ever to grace the Motown label but the best live performer as well. Miss Reeves is a real classy down to earth lady and a joy to be around. Miss Reeves has always beebn real nice to me and remember my name every time i meet her after her shows. A superstar and a class act.

Wishing you a blessed and beautiful weekend.

Fondly,

Roberta

Bokiluis
12-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Yeah, he's the one that acts as if Diane is some sort of deity instead of a played out singer.
You are one rude, tired piece of trash! Whatever your issues are with Diana and her fans.....we're still here and do in' fine. You can rest assured the person you are such an advocate for, will NEVER see anything near the success that "so-called played out" singer has achieved. So you can kiss it where the sun don't shine. And don't bother to respond a-hole, you have already been "DELETED!" JERK! Get a life and a new song, because you're flying solo mutha!

David J
12-01-2012, 10:14 AM
You are one rude, tired piece of trash! Whatever your issues are with Diana and her fans.....we're still here and do in' fine. You can rest assured the person you are such an advocate for, will NEVER see anything near the success that "so-called played out" singer has achieved. So you can kiss it where the sun don't shine. And don't bother to respond a-hole, you have already been "DELETED!" JERK! Get a life and a new song, because you're flying solo mutha!

Bravo and very well said:D, about time someone put Marv in his place, I guess some people are finally sick of his spiteful, childish, petty remarks on the Supreme Diana Ross.

smark21
12-01-2012, 03:19 PM

You know you didn’t need to bash Mary in your remarks to Marv. By doing so, you make yourself and Diana Ross fans look bad. And once again you revealed that you’re completely obsessed with sales and charts and success rather than a genuine fan of music who enjoys the art and can emotionally react to music that moves you.

soulster
12-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Hopefully the threads about this book that you are predicting will get as much attention as the threads you start dear soulster. LOL ;)

Wow. That response wasn't very...uh...christian-like.

stephanie
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Toms book wasnt bad but it was too much of a Mary Wilson hatchet job for me and a Diana Love fest. Not a bad book though.

jobeterob
12-02-2012, 03:55 AM
I actually agree with Stephanie; there have been so many Diana Ross books as well. There is nothing much more to say. Someone put out a rare picture book or something. Every freakin Motown and Soul Artist puts out a book when they run out of money and they all know they need to say something about "Diane" or the publisher will return it for a rewrite; because they can't sell squat, especially these days. As Mary said, "no one wants to read about me".

But Tom's book was too sucky for me. All these ladies in the Supremes are great personalities but they have all had normal human issues and all hit the can a few times a day if they are lucky. A lovefest for Diana has been going on for years. We don't need a new book a year rehashing it.

R. Mark Desjardins
12-18-2012, 11:35 AM
I read Tom Adrahtas first book on Diana Ross and had contacated him personally. I am impressed with him as a writer and as a human being. Naturally I was very curious about his new book, The Diva & Her Tribe and am presently working my way through it. Comprised of fan's remembrances of impressions and Diana Ross & The Supremes as they were growing up and what the group meant to them in the context of the social times, I've found this book to be totally engrossing.

Maybe like other "devoted" fans, I may feel secretly miffed that I wasn't asked for my memories, [[LOL). I find reading about other fans have to share about the huge impact that Supremes and the Motown Sound made helping change racist ideas, historically important. As more people read this book, I'm sure some lively debate on this site will be the result!

reese
12-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I read this book a few weeks ago. I found it very interesting to see the different ways in which Diana influenced the lives of some of her fans.

jobeterob
12-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the reviews Reese and Mark. It may make me try and buy this. Maybe I can get it online along with Mary's magazine and save some shipping.

There was another fan book, Diana's Dogs, which was very good. It listed some of the some......some of the crazy guys too; and listed some of what they had done or said.

supremester
12-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm curious, Stephanie and Rob, what exactly did Tom say in A Lifetime To Get Here that was untrue, unbiased or sucky? What was missing that you feel should have been included? Considering Diana was mentioned more than anyone in Mary's book, including her family, and not ONE word of praise for leading the group into history, I'm curious as to how Tom's book is dismissed as a love fest or sucky?

His new book, while not aimed at the general public, is merely an insight to some of her biggest fans' lives as she pertains to it, while giving an overview of her career through her fan's eyes.

Toms book wasnt bad but it was too much of a Mary Wilson hatchet job for me and a Diana Love fest. Not a bad book though.

supremester
12-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't get how he is "completely obsessed with charts and figures.......rather than a fan of the music that moves him" from what he wrote. The comparison was unnecessary, but balancing "played out" with success doesn't seem so obsessive to me. My response would have been "check the played out diva on TNT Friday night." No face lift at 68, but with a broken ankle & jet lag - she's stunning.

You know you didn’t need to bash Mary in your remarks to Marv. By doing so, you make yourself and Diana Ross fans look bad. And once again you revealed that you’re completely obsessed with sales and charts and success rather than a genuine fan of music who enjoys the art and can emotionally react to music that moves you.

skooldem1
12-19-2012, 05:02 PM

For any book on Diana/Supremes to be considered "good" it has to be a hatchet job on Diana and a love fest for Mary or Flo.

Roberta75
12-19-2012, 05:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book Description
Publication Date: November 27, 2012
In The Diva And Her Tribe, DIANA ROSS, The Ultimate Collection, the legendary Motown entertainer is viewed through the experiences of more than 40 of her most devoted fans. Celebrity friends and admirers like Berry Gordy, Patti LaBelle, Questlove, Whitney Houston, Paul Shaffer, Martha Reeves, and Smokey Robinson are quoted in this engaging oral history that captures the essence of one of the entertainment industry's most successful and most important figures.

Was marv2 interviewed for this book?

Roberta

jobeterob
12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm very sure Marv1 and Marv2 were consulted for the new book, the old book, Mary's magazine [[he provided the items now known to be erroneous), Diana's Dogs and even Berry and Diana's own books. No one ever asked me to comments or for my precise memories of events and facts.

As for Tom's books...........you know, I would rather read a book that is analytical and considers things in a less biased sense; Diana Ross is not perfect; as a young girl, she had the world put at her feet and since, has been put on a pedestal by the world and showered with riches; her colleagues have often been left with only a few dollars. It created jealousy and bitterness. Because Diana has everything always and had many people at her feet and begging her to participate in this and that, I'm sure at times she wasn't always Miss Nice n Perfect. She also was in a very cutthroat business.

Diana has done very well but we don't need book after book confirming that Diana is perfect, has more money than Donald Trump, has a voice that will be golden forever, has more #1 hits than everyone else combined, and ceased having to use the washroom ten years back.

I would just prefer something a little more real.

It is Marv that needs to absorb Tom's books; he should read them aloud to Luke.

smark21
12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't get how he is "completely obsessed with charts and figures.......rather than a fan of the music that moves him" from what he wrote. The comparison was unnecessary, but balancing "played out" with success doesn't seem so obsessive to me. My response would have been "check the played out diva on TNT Friday night." No face lift at 68, but with a broken ankle & jet lag - she's stunning.

Sorry, but I think Bokiluis is very annoying. Sometimes his posts are fun to laugh at as he’s so glassy eyed in his Diana Ross fandom [[I don’t think he’s blinked since 1964) and his fixation with sales and charts. His most obnoxious post here, IMO, was when right after The Marvelettes Unsung aired, he put in a post lamenting that The Marvelettes weren’t soaring on the itunes sales chart. That show had a lot of interesting and emotional content and all he could do was check out itunes sales?

Miss Ross has never had a facelift? LOL!

jillfoster
12-19-2012, 10:14 PM
His new book, while not aimed at the general public, is merely an insight to some of her biggest fans' lives as she pertains to it, while giving an overview of her career through her fan's eyes.

Did he interview you for it? I'd hope not, because then people would be led to believe that Diana Ross drives people to weigh 400 pounds and nag and harp on yahoo groups all day long. And who the hell lives so much through some singer, that's some obsessive crap. I expect to see chronic washing of hands when these "Fans" get together. Geez.

supremester
12-20-2012, 02:58 AM
it would only make idiots think that one overweight person out of thousands is what Diana Ross makes all of her fans. Actually, since the obesity rate in the USA is so much higher than that, it would lead people with a 3 digit IQ to realize her fans are in much better shape than the average person. THANK YOU for pointing it out - I'll suggest to Tom that he add it to whatever he does next! At first I thought you were being snidely bitchy like most non-believers, but now I see you are really quite brilliant - thanks again and please feel free to offer more of your keen observations.

PS It's 285#

PPSS Do you work for The N.R.A.?

supremester
12-20-2012, 04:41 AM
I don't know who Bokiluis is, but I also have not blinked since 1964 and also love the charts. they tell a lot about an act's standing in the industry, how radio felt about product and help to provide tools for analysis of why records hit or don't. For example: the relative failure of Nothing But Heartaches. The previous 5 singles had gone to #1 and debuted higher by about 50%. [[Stop! debuted lower than the others because it was leaked to some stations early, causing a less impactful debut.) While the others soared into the top 20 in 3 weeks, NBH limped along to #11 - so, radio wasn't that into it to begin with even though the group was red hot and it's next single, I Hear A Symphony was their highest debut single in their entire career. So, what was THAT wrong about NBH? I don't know, I loved it instrantly, but programmers knew it was weak. Anyway, stuff like that I find interesting. As far as Unsung, goes, I found The Marvelettes epi very engaging and a loving homage to, IMO, a rather odd, but wonderful group. I didn't really appreciate them at all until just a few years ago. I don't know that Unsung would ever generate pushes on itunes charts, but if it normal to do so, and none occurred for The Marvelettes, that would mean there is less public interest in them than say, Rick James or Freda Payne. Just another factoid. My fave [[Danger: Heartbreak Dead Ahead) was a bomb lol. My taste often is in contrast with the public. My least fave Ross hit, Endless Love, was #1 for 9 weeks and I never play it.

MIss Ross had a nose job in '77 and no other surgeries above the neck since - although I wouldn't care if she had, as long as she still looked human. She had a bad reaction during her last time under general, and is said to be wary of plastic surgery mistakes that friends of hers may have had. She probably uses injectables or fillers, but I don't know for sure and I only print what I know.

smark21;136565]Sorry, but I think Bokiluis is very annoying. Sometimes his posts are fun to laugh at as he’s so glassy eyed in his Diana Ross fandom [[I don’t think he’s blinked since 1964) and his fixation with sales and charts. His most obnoxious post here, IMO, was when right after The Marvelettes Unsung aired, he put in a post lamenting that The Marvelettes weren’t soaring on the itunes sales chart. That show had a lot of interesting and emotional content and all he could do was check out itunes sales?

Miss Ross has never had a facelift? LOL![/QUOTE]

REDHOT
12-20-2012, 07:29 AM
As The Supremes Mary Cindy Scherrie sang in they're song,It's All Been Said Before lol
Please stay positive

smark21
12-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Did he interview you for it? I'd hope not, because then people would be led to believe that Diana Ross drives people to weigh 400 pounds and nag and harp on yahoo groups all day long. And who the hell lives so much through some singer, that's some obsessive crap. I expect to see chronic washing of hands when these "Fans" get together. Geez.

Maya Angelou said it best: When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

stephanie
12-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Supremester [[How are you by the way) I am getting the BOX set of Judy Garland and her shows she did on TV. I am a Judy fanatic! The book about her by Gerald Frank is the best one. Now to answer your question I found the Tom A book to well written and interesting especially when he explained the RTL situation. I DID buy it and I bought the Ribowsky book as well. Tom A did a good job, but I just found some of his statements to be on the cusp of worship and I really have no problem with that its just that so many books have been put out on the Supremes and Ross that there are really no new revelations. Its not what he said its how he said it and I am not going to argue about it I just dont want to get a new book on fan revelations and what they mean to me. If someone wrote a book from a fan perspective on Johnny Rivers I wouldnt buy it. Now if someone wrote a book on HIM I would darn sure buy it because there has never been anything written about him. I wish Tom A all of the best and Lifetime to Get Here was not a bad book at all I just found some of the statments to be on the border of Ross worship and Mary Wilson hatred. Mary Wilson is an odd character people either really like her or cant stand her. I dont know her personally but I have heard stories about here that some would not like. I have also heard stories of people who worship the ground she walks on. Anyway when I leave work today I have to get Judy and in the spirit of things I may buy that fan book if you are in it. Im glad Tom A gave you props in Lifetime to Get Here. Bye Mococco. [[inside joke Supremester knows what I mean.)

supremester
12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I love Judy as well and have the box set - you are going to love it. It's Judy at her best. The quality is so clear, it's actually a little weird - I sometimes blur it just a sec as I find stray nose hairs distracting during some landmark close-up. You simply cannot find better Judy video.

Tom's book? Hmmmmmmmm.......well, as he wrote in it, the purpose was to counter some of the false and negative tomes already out there. Nothing in his book is untrue [[which cannot be said about certain "other books") and I suppose there are people unhappy that she isn't taken to task for being the hardest working person at Motown [[ as per Martha, Marvin, Stevie, Cholly, Gil, Harvey etc) but somehow those little things didn't seem to make the final edit of say,......well, I'll just pick one at random, Dreamgirl. And, I can see how a simple comment like that would be sacrificed in order to make room for who slept on the floor in 1959 or got a sandwich at TCB rehearsals.... or even the fact that TCB wouldn't have occurred without her - or The Supremes for that matter. If Miss Ross is the meanest, nastiest vermin to ever draw a breath, it should be on every page [[as it nearly was) but to completely disregard her herculean contributions behind the scenes that Mary was totally privy to, makes that book and it's author things I'll choose not to say here. Tom chose to fill in some of those missing pieces concerning the woman who led the Motown assault on entertainment while carry the pressure that kept her under 93 pounds for 2 years. Getting the truth about RTL out there was another goal. There is no right or wrong about the final line-up as it's just opinion, but the events that led to that decision were missing facts. Did I get props? I'll have to pull it out and read it again, I forgot what he said but I'm certain it was deserved! Nothing he said about Mary was untrue or, even, exagggggerated. Some folks just don't like it when the corn pad is on Mary's other foot. His new book turned out so much better than I expected and it's intended audience is loving it - those that don't are welcome to their opinion but it's a book actually written by some of the biggest Ross worshipers in the world, so to expect negs is foolish. Really, it was initially intended just as a gift to Miss Ross if I recall correctly, but everyone involved wanted to read it and it just grew to this. I expect it to over take Gone With The Wind in sales very shortly.

Supremester [[How are you by the way) I am getting the BOX set of Judy Garland and her shows she did on TV. I am a Judy fanatic! The book about her by Gerald Frank is the best one. Now to answer your question I found the Tom A book to well written and interesting especially when he explained the RTL situation. I DID buy it and I bought the Ribowsky book as well. Tom A did a good job, but I just found some of his statements to be on the cusp of worship and I really have no problem with that its just that so many books have been put out on the Supremes and Ross that there are really no new revelations. Its not what he said its how he said it and I am not going to argue about it I just dont want to get a new book on fan revelations and what they mean to me. If someone wrote a book from a fan perspective on Johnny Rivers I wouldnt buy it. Now if someone wrote a book on HIM I would darn sure buy it because there has never been anything written about him. I wish Tom A all of the best and Lifetime to Get Here was not a bad book at all I just found some of the statments to be on the border of Ross worship and Mary Wilson hatred. Mary Wilson is an odd character people either really like her or cant stand her. I dont know her personally but I have heard stories about here that some would not like. I have also heard stories of people who worship the ground she walks on. Anyway when I leave work today I have to get Judy and in the spirit of things I may buy that fan book if you are in it. Im glad Tom A gave you props in Lifetime to Get Here. Bye Mococco. [[inside joke Supremester knows what I mean.)

REDHOT
12-20-2012, 05:10 PM
The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Scherrie Payne,It's All Been Said Before,LOL
Please stay positive

jillfoster
12-21-2012, 10:26 PM
but it's a book actually written by some of the biggest Ross worshipers in the world

You should never worship an entertainer, only Christ Jesus. Now put down the cigarettes and the candy bars and get your butt to church, young man!