PDA

View Full Version : Mary's Supremes Magazine is now out on newstands

test

smark21
11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
After work, I stopped at Grand Central and found Mary's Supremes magazine on sale. I bought it.

So far I've given it a perusal. The pages are slick and glossy. There are some
pictures I've never seen before. Some of the pics, though, are obvious screen
captures from youtube or other video sources.

Mary provides a couple of recipes. The magazine is certainly Mary's show as she
and Mark Bego were the forces that put this together so it's understandable that
there would be an emphasis on Mary. However, I did come across some text that
called Mary "the supreme Supreme".

Lynda Laurence is referred to a temporary Supreme.

One interesting little tidbit I've never heard before: Paul McCartney called up
Mary to find out how she was feeling when it was publically announced that Diana
was going solo.

I found one glaring typo: A Bit of Liverpool is referred to as "The Big of
Liverpool".

One error I found so far: The magazine claims the Webb album includes "Splish
Splash". I think Bego confused "Tossin' and Turnin" with "Splish Splash". And
the fact checkers didn't pick it up.

I'll give it a closer read this weekend.

marv2
11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
After work, I stopped at Grand Central and found Mary's Supremes magazine on sale. I bought it.

So far I've given it a perusal. The pages are slick and glossy. There are some
pictures I've never seen before. Some of the pics, though, are obvious screen
captures from youtube or other video sources.

Mary provides a couple of recipes. The magazine is certainly Mary's show as she
and Mark Bego were the forces that put this together so it's understandable that
there would be an emphasis on Mary. However, I did come across some text that
called Mary "the supreme Supreme".

Lynda Laurence is referred to a temporary Supreme.

One interesting little tidbit I've never heard before: Paul McCartney called up
Mary to find out how she was feeling when it was publically announced that Diana
was going solo.

I found one glaring typo: A Bit of Liverpool is referred to as "The Big of
Liverpool".

One error I found so far: The magazine claims the Webb album includes "Splish
Splash". I think Bego confused "Tossin' and Turnin" with "Splish Splash". And
the fact checkers didn't pick it up.

I'll give it a closer read this weekend.

I knew I was right! Lynda Laurence was a temp sub.! This sounds like a great magazine. I have to get a copy tomorrow!

marv2
11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Here it is on newsstands!

skooldem1
11-29-2012, 10:36 PM
That comment about Lynda is very tacky. I thought this magazine was to celebrate the legacy?

marv2
11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
That comment about Lynda is very tacky. I thought this magazine was to celebrate the legacy?

Since when does truthfulness and accuracy equate to tackiness? Heck, Lynda knows what she was........hehehehehehehe....!!!

smark21
11-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I’ve looked through the JML section of the magazine, and four times Lynda is referred to as a temporary replacement for Cindy, though she’s also described as an “asset” to the group.

marv2
11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I’ve looked through the JML section of the magazine, and four times Lynda is referred to as a temporary replacement for Cindy, though she’s also described as an “asset” to the group.

She is referred to as "temporary" in many places including here:

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/Badfinger/BANDsupremes.html

luke
11-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Cindy Birdsongalso referred to Lynda as a temp sub in an article in Goldmine.

franjoy56
11-29-2012, 11:57 PM

marv, where in grand central can i get it i will pass through there tomorrow on my way to aerobic class.

luke
11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
http://55plusmag.us/articles/6-english/299-reigning-supreme-mary-wilson-issue-10.html And a new interview with Mary,

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:26 AM
marv, where in grand central can i get it i will pass through there tomorrow on my way to aerobic class.

Fran, I always come into Penn Station, Smark21 saw it at Grand Central. You know it is going to be on the main level though.

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:28 AM
http://55plusmag.us/articles/6-english/299-reigning-supreme-mary-wilson-issue-10.html And a new interview with Mary,

Hey Luke, thanks for this one! I swear, Mary Wilson is all over the place this year.

Jimi LaLumia
11-30-2012, 01:31 AM
I picked up a copy today on Long Island at the Super Stop & Shop magazines section;
love it, looks great..
Mary Wilson continues the tired "Diane" thing, it's pathetic at this point, well, whatever floats her boat..Lots of great shots of Diana Ross in this publication...and some other people...LOL..

franjoy56
11-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Everybody has their favorite Supreme but at the end of the day it an Institution and not built around anyone now, but thanks to Mary the legacy is kept alive, and she certainly has that right to call it My Supremes, she's been at the helm forever..

R. Mark Desjardins
11-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Is this publication going to be on newstands in Canada, or will I have to go to amazon to get a copy?

smark21
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
I read some more including the paragraph on Jean and Lynda leaving. Though it’s odd. Bego claims Jean and Lynda abandoned Mary when they both left the group at once. But if Lynda was just a hire from a temp agency, how can Mary be abandoned when Lynda decided to end her temp gig?

Roberta75
11-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I read some more including the paragraph on Jean and Lynda leaving. Though it’s odd. Bego claims Jean and Lynda abandoned Mary when they both left the group at once. But if Lynda was just a hire from a temp agency, how can Mary be abandoned when Lynda decided to end her temp gig?

Mark Bego is a real good friend of mary wilson so obviously this magazine was written by bego with marys input. I'll buy this magazine but we should remember this is mary and begos take on the Supremes. I'm sure the other ladies of the supremes were not interviewed orv consulted about this.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

marybrewster
11-30-2012, 10:09 AM

That's the thing: Lynda was not a temporary Supreme. It's just a way for people to get their "dig" in at Lynda. It's true that Cindy left and Lynda filled her place. But I've never heard that Cindy had intended to come back. She only came back after Lynda left and Mary had to ASK Cindy to come back. And not to be rude, but how long was Barbara in the Supremes? Or Miss Susaye? Are they temporary Supremes too? HA!

It bothers me more that this late in the game we still have "typos" such as "A Bag of Liverpool" and "Splish Splash". Who proofed this? Obviously no one that "knows" the Supremes would have let this slip.

Sad that something so cool comes across as being half-assed. I wish someone like Andy or George would have had their hands in this. Not that they aren't without fault, but they certainly know their facts. So while I don't know Mr. Bego, it seems he has a history of jumping on the bandwagon and comes across as more of a tabloid writer than an author. Here's his wiki; judge for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_bego

marybrewster
11-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Mark Bego is a real good friend of mary wilson so obviously this magazine was written by bego with marys input. I'll buy this magazine but we should remember this is mary and begos take on the Supremes. I'm sure the other ladies of the supremes were not interviewed orv consulted about this.

Roberta

You are correct; I believe ivyfield who is good friends with Scherrie and Lynda mentioned that neither had any idea this was being published. And with Mary's mug front and center, it's obvious this was Mary's deal.

marybrewster
11-30-2012, 10:13 AM

And if I am not mistaken, Jean and Lynda did not leave at the same time. Jean first, then Lynda. That is why there were, for some performances, Mary, Lynda and Cindy. With that being said, how did Cindy replace Lynda when Lynda was still in the group? Hmmmmm.

marybrewster
11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
With all of this said, I am a HUGE Mary Wilson fan; however you can't rewrite history.

marv2
11-30-2012, 10:46 AM
With all of this said, I am a HUGE Mary Wilson fan; however you can't rewrite history.

She is not rewriting history.....you are!

marv2
11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
And if I am not mistaken, Jean and Lynda did not leave at the same time. Jean first, then Lynda. That is why there were, for some performances, Mary, Lynda and Cindy. With that being said, how did Cindy replace Lynda when Lynda was still in the group? Hmmmmm.

That is NOT true! The few performances lof Mary,Cindy and Lynda occurred while Jean Terrell was still in the group. She was out due to illness or attitude!

marv2
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Cindy always had a contract which went all the way through to 1977! Lynda was her temporary replacement.

marv2
11-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Roberta

Who cares? Mary is the Supreme Supreme!

captainjames
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM

you are correct, however I was going to purchase the rag but, with all the discussion here I have decided against it. I learned enough here to know NOTHING NEW !!!

REDHOT
11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Like it or not,Lynda Laurence was a SUPREME,sign to Motown,Berry Gordy would have never recorded Lynda with The Supremes,had she not been sign to the company,Mary was the one that help Lynda get sign to Motown Records,as a Supreme,no matter what anyone say,the truth will set you free,Motown put Lynda on the front cover of Floy Joy album,Lynda recorded the Jimmy Webb Album,she also recorded a single Bad Weather,and a live album with The Supremes,Live In Japan,yes Lynda Laurence IS a former Supreme,[[like it or not)
i just love The Supremes from the 70s
you can't change history
Please stay positive

motony
11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
if anyone is the "face" of the Supremes, its Mary Wilson.

captainjames
11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Not sure why Cindy would say that because actually she was originally hired as a Temp according to Mary and Diana. However, the Temp thing became permanent. So perhaps the same thing went down with Lynda,,???????who really knows or cares. Lynda was a Supreme in the end maybe Temp in the beginning but Lynda was a permanent Supreme until she decided to leave. Cindy probably left early on not knowing if she would really returned or not and then decided she wouldn't and then was proposition to return.

jillfoster
11-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Like it or not,Lynda Laurence was a SUPREME,sign to Motown,Berry Gordy would have never recorded Lynda with The Supremes,had she not been sign to the company,Mary was the one that help Lynda get sign to Motown Records,as a Supreme,no matter what anyone say,the truth will set you free,Motown put Lynda on the front cover of Floy Joy album,Lynda recorded the Jimmy Webb Album,she also recorded a single Bad Weather,and a live album with The Supremes,Live In Japan,yes Lynda Laurence IS a former Supreme,[[like it or not)
you can't change history
Please stay positive

Nobody is saying she wasn't a Supreme... we are saying she was just a temporary one. Which is true. I have an audio interview from 1975 where Cindy herself said she was just on maternity leave [[when asked about her return)

jillfoster
11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Not sure why Cindy would say that because actually she was originally hired as a Temp according to Mary and Diana. However, the Temp thing became permanent. So perhaps the same thing went down with Lynda,,???????who really knows or cares. Lynda was a Supreme in the end maybe Temp in the beginning but Lynda was a permanent Supreme until she decided to leave. Cindy probably left early on not knowing if she would really returned or not and then decided she wouldn't and then was proposition to return.

No, Cindy has stated before in interviews that she always planned on coming back.

jillfoster
11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I picked up a copy today on Long Island at the Super Stop & Shop magazines section;
love it, looks great..
Mary Wilson continues the tired "Diane" thing, it's pathetic at this point, well, whatever floats her boat....

See, you have this incorrect impression that Diana is upset when people call her "Diane". She doesn't like it when her EMPLOYEES call her that, and she does not permit it. People who are close to her, or have been close to her in the past on a personal level, she doesn't mind it at all. She never HAS had a problem with it. It's something that is dreamed up in the minds of fans that has no basis in fact. It's a simple matter of Diana not wanting her employees to address her as if they were personal friends or family.

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:21 PM

First of all, Lynda aka Linda Tucker was not from some temp agency. She had been working with her sister and cousin backing Stevie Wonder up in his band. She and her sister auditioned for the Cindy Birdsong spot and they chose Lynda. She left the group right at the same time as Jean [[who had been with the Supremes for nearly 4 years to L ynda's 16 or so months with the group.) Lynda's leaving left Mary without a "group" so yeah she abandoned her and the Supremes.

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:22 PM
you are correct, however I was going to purchase the rag but, with all the discussion here I have decided against it. I learned enough here to know NOTHING NEW !!!

She/He is not correct. Your not buying the magazine is not going to hurt anyone except yourself when you try to get it later on and it is selling for $ 250 on Ebay!

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
you can't change history
Please stay positive

Whether she was signed to Motown or not is not the issue here. She was a temporary replacement and not a pernament member. That is what the big revelation is all about!

REDHOT
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
No Lynda was not a temp,no matter what anyone says,Cindy only came back,because Mary ask her[[Cindy)to,Lynda replaced Cindy Birdsong as a permanent Supreme,Lynda and Jean left around the same time,someone came up with the idea that Lynda was a temp,so it look like only Jean left,it would have looked bad to the public,if two Supremes left the group,but that's just what happen,i was happy Cindy came back,but was more happy,when Susaye join The Supremes.
Please stay positive

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:25 PM
if anyone is the "face" of the Supremes, its Mary Wilson.

I never recall seeing a group called "The Supremes" without Mary Wilson being there. Yes she is the face, the heart and the soul of the Supremes.

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Lynda was a temp and I don't mean Temptation. She never made it through her 2 year probationary period. How in the Hell do you explain her demanding more money to sing leads in Supremes concerts if she had a contract. It woud have been spelled out in "her contract" what she was entitled to and could expect as a member of the Supremes. Nooooo, but instead we learn that she was going around demanding more money and for a higher stake in the group!!!! Don't sound like a teamplayer to me and it doesn't sound like she even had a contract. Maybe she did, but it doesn't sound it.

marv2
11-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Nobody is saying she wasn't a Supreme... we are saying she was just a temporary one. Which is true. I have an audio interview from 1975 where Cindy herself said she was just on maternity leave [[when asked about her return)

That's right Jill. Cindy said that she was ALWAYS suppose to return to the group and that the new girl [[Lynda Laurence) didn't have a contract. Cindy Birdsong was under contrac to Motown as a "Supreme" through to 1977.

skooldem1
11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Mary Wilson: Supreme Faith

pg. 61

Cindy was expecting her first child in the fall and didn't plan to return to the group after that. She had always been very open about whatever was on her mind, and many times she mentioned that she might leave. Still, it was a surprise when she finally announced she was going.

pg. 117

I'd hired Cindy assuming that Lynda too was leaving.

Why did Mary say Cindy was leaving and not coming back? Why did Mary have to "hire" Cindy when she thought Lynda was going to quit?

luke
11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Let the truth be told!! Cindy Birdsong is well respected by everyone and said Lynda was a temp. End of story.

captainjames
11-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks skooldem1
Sometimes people just continue to hear voices in their heads and make up all kinds of things.

captainjames
11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Perhaps Cindy should ask Mary why she said that !!!!! Honey We Are Terrific !!!

jobeterob
11-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Can this magazine be bought online? Where in Canada could we get one?

About Lynda, it's 40 years hence ~ it's kind of a rut; but perhaps for the Supreminado's, important for history.

So, if Lynda was a replacement in some eyes, she still was on the Floy Joy cover. Mary has said the albums didn't sell, and sold less and less but the fall off was greatest after the Floy Joy album and they reverted to a lot of generic covers after Lynda - Jimmy Webb and High Energy and At their Best. Does it make any difference?

Also, if this magazine is connected to Mary Wilson, perhaps she does harbor resentment toward Lynda as well as Diana? I thought that was all gone after all these years?

8supremes
11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Im so glad you pulled out Mary's book and used her exact quotes. We all know Lynda was a bonafide Supreme who replaced Cindy. If Lynda was only "Temporary" why have her record with the group? And why have her on the cover of "FLOY JOY?" Yes, Cindy was pregnant at the time of the shoot, but so was Mary when they shot the 1975 Album. They easily coverd Mary's pregnancy with Scherrie, Cindy and some well placed flowers. I loved all the Supremes, and it's sad that some people are trying in vain to reduce other members contribution. History cannot be changed. Even in 1973 on Soul Train Mary said "We are THE SUPREMES." I appreciate the work of Andy Skurrow and George Soloman and wish they were in volved in this project. They always get their facts correct and give due credit to all the ladies who were Supremes.

pg. 61

Cindy was expecting her first child in the fall and didn't plan to return to the group after that. She had always been very open about whatever was on her mind, and many times she mentioned that she might leave. Still, it was a surprise when she finally announced she was going.

pg. 117

Why did Mary say Cindy was leaving and not coming back? Why did Mary have to "hire" Cindy when she thought Lynda was going to quit?

nathanj06
11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
This is too funny! The games have begun over a magazine. Perhaps marv2 should write what "actually" happened since he was there and has all the facts for a book of his own. Then the world will be finally able to move on about what really took place in The Supremes and sleep at night. As far as "Diane" goes, I would just call her Di or maybe even Earle. I'll check the birth certificate wallpaper replica I have in my 1000 sq. ft. Supremes Worship Room. Oh and by the way, those gowns Mary can't locate....??? Haven't seen 'em. :rolleyes:

marv2
11-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Im so glad you pulled out Mary's book and used her exact quotes. We all know Lynda was a bonafide Supreme who replaced Cindy. If Lynda was only "Temporary" why have her record with the group? And why have her on the cover of "FLOY JOY?" Yes, Cindy was pregnant at the time of the shoot, but so was Mary when they shot the 1975 Album. They easily coverd Mary's pregnancy with Scherrie, Cindy and some well placed flowers. I loved all the Supremes, and it's sad that some people are trying in vain to reduce other members contribution. History cannot be changed. Even in 1973 on Soul Train Mary said "We are THE SUPREMES." I appreciate the work of Andy Skurrow and George Soloman and wish they were in volved in this project. They always get their facts correct and give due credit to all the ladies who were Supremes.

She was a bonafide temp! That's all she was!

marv2
11-30-2012, 02:27 PM
This is too funny! The games have begun over a magazine. Perhaps marv2 should write what "actually" happened since he was there and has all the facts for a book of his own. Then the world will be finally able to move on about what really took place in The Supremes and sleep at night. As far as "Diane" goes, I would just call her Di or maybe even Earle. I'll check the birth certificate wallpaper replica I have in my 1000 sq. ft. Supremes Worship Room. Oh and by the way, those gowns Mary can't locate....??? Haven't seen 'em. :rolleyes:

I wasn't there. I was in Jr. High. Mary was and she says that Lynda was just a temp.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Again.. in the words of Mary Wilson ... in the essay entitled "Promises Kept" -The Supremes -The 70's Anthology

pg. 12 "Floy Joy was our last album recorded in Detroit, and one of the last Motown albums cut there, period. After the album was done Cindy brought me bad news; she was expecting a baby and LEAVING the group. I was not too happy about REPLACING her, as by that time people considered Cindy an original member. I knew another personnel change was risky; but it had to be done. I CHOSE Lynda Laurence, who had sung backup for Stevie Wonder. You see Lynda in the Floy Joy cover shot but she's not on the album".

pg 15 " Lynda having sung with Stevie Wonder was to our advantage, because for us he produced and co-write 'Bad Weather' with Lynda's brother Ira Tucker. Stevie Wonder was hot then with 'Talking Book'. He was a magician in the studio. Too bad the single failed. It's one of our best songs of the period. Around that same time we also cut The O'Jay's 'Love Train', which still carries a positive message of universal love. Jean brought it home with her special gospel flair. But Jean and Lynda left in '73.
I wrestled with deciding whether it was time to step down. But I was determined to keep the group on top. I took on the Supremes' business affairs. I RE-HIRED Cindy Birdsong".

captainjames
11-30-2012, 03:04 PM
....And you know you are right !!!
I

Again.. in the words of Mary Wilson ... in the essay entitled "Promises Kept" -The Supremes -The 70's Anthology

pg. 12 "Floy Joy was our last album recorded in Detroit, and one of the last Motown albums cut there, period. After the album was done Cindy brought me bad news; she was expecting a baby and LEAVING the group. I was not too happy about REPLACING her, as by that time people considered Cindy an original member. I knew another personnel change was risky; but it had to be done. I CHOSE Lynda Laurence, who had sung backup for Stevie Wonder. You see Lynda in the Floy Joy cover shot but she's not on the album".

pg 15 " Lynda having sung with Stevie Wonder was to our advantage, because for us he produced and co-write 'Bad Weather' with Lynda's brother Ira Tucker. Stevie Wonder was hot then with 'Talking Book'. He was a magician in the studio. Too bad the single failed. It's one of our best songs of the period. Around that same time we also cut The O'Jay's 'Love Train', which still carries a positive message of universal love. Jean brought it home with her special gospel flair. But Jean and Lynda left in '73.
I wrestled with deciding whether it was time to step down. But I was determined to keep the group on top. I took on the Supremes' business affairs. I RE-HIRED Cindy Birdsong".

jobeterob
11-30-2012, 03:17 PM
I didn't realize Mary didn't take control of the Supremes business until 1973. That is when they went into a real lull and nothing much happened until the hopefulness of High Energy. It was probably all doomed no matter what they did ~ Lynda, Scherrie, or even if Jean had stayed or Diana came back. They were "yesterdays" by 1973.

And yes Marv, many of us recall an actual Supreme coming into one of these threads to remind you that "you were not there".

floyjoy678
11-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Temporary Supreme or not Lynda made enough appearances with the group to make herself known. From 1972-73 the group appeared constantly on TV with Lynda. Even when Cindy came back into the group Mary's plan was to carry on the group with her, Cindy and Lynda...then when Lynda saw Pedro was taking over the group she dropped out. And whoever said Mary was ALWAYS with the Supremes, to be technical there was a couple nights in 1972 where Mary was sick and Jean, Cindy and Lynda performed and in her own words she doubts anyone even noticed or cared.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 03:27 PM
That is NOT true! The few performances lof Mary,Cindy and Lynda occurred while Jean Terrell was still in the group. She was out due to illness or attitude!

And in each of these, [[Hawaii & the Copa) Lynda was called upon to serve as the lead singer. According to Mary, their then manager and Motown wanted to cancel. Lynda saved face for them and again, according to Mary 'was great' as lead singer.

Roberta75
11-30-2012, 04:48 PM

LOL marv2 was road manager and luke was the wardrobe mistresss for the Supremes from 1962 until 1977 so they know everything they is to know.

Thanks for the laugh nathanj06 that was real funny.

Roberta

Roberta75
11-30-2012, 04:50 PM
All of this over a Supreme magazine that will be lucky to sell a few thousand copies. lol

Roberta

midnightman
11-30-2012, 05:00 PM
This Supremes thing is funny. If Lynda was a "temp", why was she picked to sing in placement of Jean when Jean left, why even have her on the cover of "Floy Joy" and then have her sing on material between 1972 and 1973 or whatever if she was a "temp". Technically, Cindy started her Supremes career as a "temp" for Flo in 1967 and the same could be same for Marlene Barrow when Flo was absent on some gigs [[which was telling to the owner of the Copacabana who ordered Berry to get Flo or the gig was off). In Mary's mind, though, it seems the only ones she think were "real Supremes" were her, Flo and Diana and the rest were "temps" to her. Even Cindy was dismissed when it came time for the '60s era Supremes to be inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame though Cindy didn't really sing on the post-Flo '60s hits [[and neither did Mary in that regard).

I consider Lynda to be a real Supreme. I saw Mary was upset that Lynda was picked for Diana's 2000 tour when she decided not to do it. Lynda was part of the FLOS so I could see why Diana picked her and Scherrie when Mary dropped and then Cindy decided not to do it because her heart wasn't really in it at the time [[Cindy didn't really perform much after leaving the Supremes in 1976).

Sad thing is Lynda definitely could've brought more to the table than she did. But I think also, the situation with Motown was a difficult one. I think their Motown contract was up by the time the Supremes put out "Bad Weather". Once Jean left, it became difficult for the Supremes to continue as they did. After Scherrie Payne was brought into the group and Cindy returned - either by Mary asking her or just simply hiring her - it was a struggle before they finally signed a new Motown contract and around this time, Pedro Ferrer started managing the group - due to Mary. I don't know, those late periods of the Supremes were really nightmarish IMHO. They were doing real good with Mary, Jean and Cindy and then that fell apart. Sad.

But of course with this magazine, obviously it was gonna be biased based on Mary.

midnightman
11-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Temporary Supreme or not Lynda made enough appearances with the group to make herself known. From 1972-73 the group appeared constantly on TV with Lynda. Even when Cindy came back into the group Mary's plan was to carry on the group with her, Cindy and Lynda...then when Lynda saw Pedro was taking over the group she dropped out. And whoever said Mary was ALWAYS with the Supremes, to be technical there was a couple nights in 1972 where Mary was sick and Jean, Cindy and Lynda performed and in her own words she doubts anyone even noticed or cared.

Now that's interesting. I do remember seeing videos of audio where it said the Supremes lineup of some performances were Jean, Cindy and Lynda. Cindy also felt uncomfortable with Pedro which is the reason she finally left the Supremes for good in 1976.

jeff9nyc
11-30-2012, 06:53 PM

That's not the way it went Mary. It was Lynda, Mary and Cindy when Jean was sick and still an official member of the group.

Cindy came back to the group after Lynda left.

milven
11-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I wonder why Motown included her in this collage if she was only a temp and not a true Supreme

http://www.scherriepayneandlyndalaurence.com/8realsupremes.jpg

jeff9nyc
11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Now that's interesting. I do remember seeing videos of audio where it said the Supremes lineup of some performances were Jean, Cindy and Lynda. Cindy also felt uncomfortable with Pedro which is the reason she finally left the Supremes for good in 1976.

It was never Jean, Lynda and Cindy. It was Lynda, Mary and Cindy for a few performances though.

marv2
11-30-2012, 07:12 PM
I didn't realize Mary didn't take control of the Supremes business until 1973. That is when they went into a real lull and nothing much happened until the hopefulness of High Energy. It was probably all doomed no matter what they did ~ Lynda, Scherrie, or even if Jean had stayed or Diana came back. They were "yesterdays" by 1973.

And yes Marv, many of us recall an actual Supreme coming into one of these threads to remind you that "you were not there".

I don't care! Mary was there and that is all that matters!!!

marv2
11-30-2012, 07:13 PM
And in each of these, [[Hawaii & the Copa) Lynda was called upon to serve as the lead singer. According to Mary, their then manager and Motown wanted to cancel. Lynda saved face for them and again, according to Mary 'was great' as lead singer.

So what? That is not new news. She was a temp and did what she was told because they paid her! I've never cared for her voice or her way of singing period.

marv2
11-30-2012, 07:14 PM
LOL marv2 was road manager and luke was the wardrobe mistresss for the Supremes from 1962 until 1977 so they know everything they is to know.

Thanks for the laugh nathanj06 that was real funny.

Roberta

How would you know anyway? You have your head wedged so far up your.......Bible, you couldn't tell me what day it is! LOL!!!!

marv2
11-30-2012, 07:16 PM
All of this over a Supreme magazine that will be lucky to sell a few thousand copies. lol

Roberta

Then why are you even here and commenting?

marv2
11-30-2012, 07:24 PM

After describing her as a temporary replacement FOUR TIMES, I believe they know what they are talking about!

nathanj06
11-30-2012, 07:46 PM
A pleasure Roberta. I'm glad someone has a sense of humor about this frail old newspaper of a story, yellowed and cracking apart by time. However, if someone chooses to live in the past regarding a singing group that is no longer in existence now for 35 years, that is certainly their choice albeit a pathetic one. Musical history is great but this has gone from annoying to hysterical. I was a hardcore fan back when but I certainly grew out of it and in 2012 I still enjoy the music. But I certainly don't care what the hell Lynda Laurence's part was in all this as vague as it was. Neither does 99.9% of the public. This subject will never die in this lifetime but it does still have comedic value. ;)

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 07:46 PM
It was never Jean, Lynda and Cindy. It was Lynda, Mary and Cindy for a few performances though.

NEVER?

From 'Supreme Faith' pg 67
"Lynda called. 'Mary? Jean is very sick again, and she's on her way back to Los Angeles'......Would we cancel the show or go on, just Lynda and me, as a duo? Copa owner Jules Podell was not pleased with either choice, and Motown and our agent wanted to cancel.
Cindy came in and did the shows with us on Saturday and Sunday, with Lynda singing lead. We had only the gowns we brought with us, and Cindy's pregnancy was showing, so the fit wasn't perfect. Cindy was happy to be back, and I was thankful for her flying in on a moment's notice.then on Tuesday, Jean was back, AND I GOT SICK, so for the FIRST AND ONLY TIME the Supremes performed without a single original member on stage'."

BayouMotownMan
11-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Linda Laurence was signed to Motown and was an official Supreme. She did not however live out her 18 mo probationary period.

The way it worked at Motown, one can assume that all the ladies were temps by contract

milven
11-30-2012, 08:04 PM

There was a one-time only line-up of The Supremes in 1972, when Jean, Lynda and Cindy appeared together at The Copacabana.

It happened during the same time engagement that I saw Lynda, Mary and CIndy perform there while Jean was sick. That must have been a rough time for the Supremes. They were constantly at The Copa but in 1972 Jules Podell had to put up with no fewer than four separate groupings of the ladies within the space of one engagement!

Just for the record, the line-up's were:
Jean, Mary & Lynda
Mary, Lynda & Cindy
Jean and Lynda
Jean, Lynda & Cindy

BayouMotownMan
11-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Did you attend any of these shows milven?

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Hey Luke, thanks for this one! I swear, Mary Wilson is all over the place this year.

I think you may want to rephrase that. Your comment implies something that you obviously did not anticipate when you posted so hastily.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Is this publication going to be on newstands in Canada, or will I have to go to amazon to get a copy?

Above barcode: $8.99 US and Canada

marv2
11-30-2012, 08:28 PM
A pleasure Roberta. I'm glad someone has a sense of humor about this frail old newspaper of a story, yellowed and cracking apart by time. However, if someone chooses to live in the past regarding a singing group that is no longer in existence now for 35 years, that is certainly their choice albeit a pathetic one. Musical history is great but this has gone from annoying to hysterical. I was a hardcore fan back when but I certainly grew out of it and in 2012 I still enjoy the music. But I certainly don't care what the hell Lynda Laurence's part was in all this as vague as it was. Neither does 99.9% of the public. This subject will never die in this lifetime but it does still have comedic value. ;)

99.9% of the public could consider beer to be a vegatable and I wouldn't care. Since the topic of this thread is Mary Wilson's 50th Anniversary Supremes Magazine, it is completely topical to discuss it's contents. I think you are the one that is out of place with all due respect!

midnightman
11-30-2012, 08:28 PM
NEVER?

From 'Supreme Faith' pg 67
"Lynda called. 'Mary? Jean is very sick again, and she's on her way back to Los Angeles'......Would we cancel the show or go on, just Lynda and me, as a duo? Copa owner Jules Podell was not pleased with either choice, and Motown and our agent wanted to cancel.
Cindy came in and did the shows with us on Saturday and Sunday, with Lynda singing lead. We had only the gowns we brought with us, and Cindy's pregnancy was showing, so the fit wasn't perfect. Cindy was happy to be back, and I was thankful for her flying in on a moment's notice.then on Tuesday, Jean was back, AND I GOT SICK, so for the FIRST AND ONLY TIME the Supremes performed without a single original member on stage'."

I wonder how many people bought Supreme Faith. Guess if Diana and Flo ain't in it, who cared?

midnightman
11-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Linda Laurence was signed to Motown and was an official Supreme. She did not however live out her 18 mo probationary period.

The way it worked at Motown, one can assume that all the ladies were temps by contract

Didn't the original Supremes sign a new contract in the mid-1960s that speculated if any of them left the group, Motown would keep the Supremes name and in turn just have anyone sign a contract with Motown and to be a Supreme until they left? That can explain why Motown cancel the Supremes once Mary Wilson decided to leave.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=marybrewster;133406]

It bothers me more that this late in the game we still have "typos" such as "A Bag of Liverpool" and "Splish Splash". Who proofed this? Obviously no one that "knows" the Supremes would have let this slip.

Sad that something so cool comes across as being half-assed. I wish someone like Andy or George would have had their hands in this. Not that they aren't without fault, but they certainly know their facts[Quote]

Both Andy Skurow and George Solomon [[among others) are listed in the credits for supplying photos. However, it seems that only a few photos are actually captioned as to ownership- yes, you guessed it- a few provided by Mary Wilson & by Mark Bego .

There are proofreaders listed- Dave Markin [[who is also copy editor) and Patrick Wood [[also named as a contributor). I wonder what their ages might be and if they ever actually listened to many Supremes' albums/cd's?

I also suspect that as the writers are listed as Mark Bego & Mary Wilson, that Mark wrote the majority of the actual text, often throwing in his own bias. Mary likely trusted him and didn't peruse the copy all that closely. Had Mary read the text, she would have corrected the errors already mentioned and this one.. 'Mary's lead vocals on Simon & Garfunkel's " Bridge Over Troubled Water" . How Mary got herself to sound just like Jean and Cindy must be one of the greatest mysteries of the early 70's!

And I hope that all noticed that Mark Bego likely does not have a copy of "This Is The Story The 70's Albums Vol 1, 1970-1973 The Jean Terrell Years"- as it is not pictured, yet Volume 2 is. I'm sure that Mary would have provided her copy for inclusion.

marv2
11-30-2012, 08:53 PM
David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

Home|A-Z Artist Pages |The Soul Music.com Store|Soul Music.com Records|David Nathan's Pages|Dedicated To Soul Radio Show

Soul Music Archives
SOUL MUSIC PODCASTS
SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES
SOUL MUSIC TRACKS & VIDEOS
Motown 50th AnniversarySoul Talkin'
Soul Jones Blog
Soul Talkin' [[Editorial)
Express Yourself! Appreciation Features
Soul Music Tributes
David Nathan On Twitter & FacebookReviews
CD & DVD Reviews
Concert & Festival ReviewsJoin the Soul Music.com Mailing List!
Receive site updates on classic R&B/soul music and site additions at Soul Music.com and The Soul Music Store!

By David Nathan
Copyright [[c) 2010 by David Nathan/Soul Music.com
Home > SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES > Classic Interviews & Features > CLASSIC FEATURE: The Supremes 1974 Interview

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists. Kicking off, with the departure of Florence Ballard, then, of course Diana Ross, the group has tried to retain the success formula that once put them way above all their competitors.

But what with these internal changes, the departure of the Holland/Dozier/Holland team and what appears to be some confusion as to which direction the group should head, their success – or at least chart success – has been severly restricted of late. Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean.

"How did we manage to find her? Well, Lamont Dozier heard that we were looking for a new Supreme a few months back and he knew that Sherrie was unhappy being with The Glasshouse so he suggested we might like to get together. She's now been with us for some three months and everything seems to be working out well."

With all these constant changes, I asked Mary if she ever got tired and considered just giving it all up. "No, never!" was her swift and indignant reply. She qualified it further.

"Sure I get tired with all the comings and goings but I'd never consider going solo. The Supremes mean too much to me and to so many people that I wouldn't even dream about just quitting altogether. No, I've never even thought about making it on my own!"

Mary did admit that the group have been going through a pretty rough patch chartwise and she explained: "We were all very disappointed that 'Bad Weather' didn't make it and we really don't know why. I personally thought it had all the right ingredients for a hit but we've been told that one of the problems these days is that unless you're on the charts consistently, a lot of radio stations just won't give you a chance."

"The fact is that we haven't had a big chart record for a long time now so that may have been one of the reasons why no one really got onto that single. But, you know, it's a totally concentrated effort and it really is a matter of coming up with right material at the right time. A lot of hard work goes into coming up with the right record and finding the right producer. Since 'Bad Weather' we haven't recorded anything with anyone but we expect to be starting back into the studios very shortly."

Any suggestion that possibly the girls might be behind the times is almost totally rejected since Mary feels that the public expects certain things from The Supremes and it's very hard for the group to move off into a totally different direction. She concedes that not having had a big hit record may have lost the group some of its followers and she does feel that a big hit would bring a whole new audience to the girls.

"However, we are well aware that there are still many people who have been with us from the beginning and are still with us – and we really appreciate them."

Mary revealed that she doesn't expect The Supremes to undergo many major changes as far as their act is concerned and she says that with the return of Cindy and the arrival of Sherrie, there will be more sharing of the lead singer's task. "Both Sherrie and I will be sharing lead and Cindy will gradually be doing that too. In fact all of us will be doing a little of our own thing in the future on stage."

On a completely personal level, Miss Wilson is no longer Miss Wilson – since she was married several weeks back to a young gentleman she met in Puerto Rico, Mr. Pedro Ferrez. What happened? "We just met and fell in love!" was the straight answer I got to a pretty dumb question! Mary said that she digs being married since "all my friends have got married now – Diana, Cindy and so on. I guess it's about time for me." She intends to start up a family in due course and the girls' future schedule is being planned to ensure that they have sufficient time at home with their families.

On the subject of coming over to this country, Mary said that there had been plans for the girls to make it during April but the energy crisis had put paid to that. "We do expect to get back around September. In the meantime, please say 'hi' to everyone from me, won't you?" No doubt, by the time we see The Supremes again, the new line-up will have established itself and hopefully they'll be returning with a hit record under their collective belts. It's surely only a matter of time before The Supremes are back on the hit track.

Click here for THE SUPREMES STORE AT SOUL MUSIC.COM for CDs, MP3s, bio, etc.

marv2
11-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Both Andy Skurow and George Solomon [[among others) are listed in the credits for supplying photos. However, it seems that only a few photos are actually captioned as to ownership- yes, you guessed it- a few provided by Mary Wilson & by Mark Bego .

There are proofreaders listed- Dave Markin [[who is also copy editor) and Patrick Wood [[also named as a contributor). I wonder what their ages might be and if they ever actually listened to many Supremes' albums/cd's?

I also suspect that as the writers are listed as Mark Bego & Mary Wilson, that Mark wrote the majority of the actual text, often throwing in his own bias. Mary likely trusted him and didn't peruse the copy all that closely. Had Mary read the text, she would have corrected the errors already mentioned and this one.. 'Mary's lead vocals on Simon & Garfunkel's " Bridge Over Troubled Water" . How Mary got herself to sound just like Jean and Cindy must be one of the greatest mysteries of the early 70's!

And I hope that all noticed that Mark Bego likely does not have a copy of "This Is The Story The 70's Albums Vol 1, 1970-1973 The Jean Terrell Years"- as it is not pictured, yet Volume 2 is. I'm sure that Mary would have provided her copy for inclusion.

Carole, you evidently don't know the Supremes music that well yourself! Mary Wilson did sing part of the lead on "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". Give it a listen sometime. Learn something new before you begin criticizing others.........

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I wonder how many people bought Supreme Faith. Guess if Diana and Flo ain't in it, who cared?

Diana and Flo are mentioned in it quite often. Because Mary [[and Patty Romanowski) want to tie the two parts of the story together [[and as it was reported that Mary had originally hoped to only write in one volume the complete story of Mary Wilson & the Supremes) there are many recollections and references to information in "Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme' . But Mary also incorporates Flo into the narrative as she interacts with Mary/the Supremes in the early-mid 70's and Diana throughout the book's time-frame.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=carole cucumber;133641

Carole, you evidently don't know the Supremes music that well yourself! Mary Wilson did sing part of the lead on "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". Give it a listen sometime. Learn something new before you begin criticizing others.........

I do know that Jean, Mary & Cindy SHARED leads on that song. The text indicates that Mary was the sole lead vocalist on "Bridge Over Troubled Water'
Earlier the writer [[likely Mark Bego & not Mary Wilson) states "Following what had been done by recording The Supremes with The Temptations in the 60's came a new combination: by teaming The Supremes with another popular group: The Four Tops' The resulting album , The Magnificent Seven found Mary and Cindy PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED WITH SOLO VOCALS.

Had Mark merely meant part of the lead , he would have said so- as he did for the Magnificent seven.

jillfoster
11-30-2012, 09:25 PM

pg. 61

pg. 117

That passage in Mary's book is there because Cindy did NOT plan on coming back at first, but changed her mind, even before the baby was born, hence the reason she was on standby for anyone who got sick.

marv2
11-30-2012, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;133645]

I do know that Jean, Mary & Cindy SHARED leads on that song. The text indicates that Mary was the sole lead vocalist on "Bridge Over Troubled Water'
Earlier the writer [[likely Mark Bego & not Mary Wilson) states "Following what had been done by recording The Supremes with The Temptations in the 60's came a new combination: by teaming The Supremes with another popular group: The Four Tops' The resulting album , The Magnificent Seven found Mary and Cindy PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED WITH SOLO VOCALS.

Had Mark merely meant part of the lead , he would have said so- as he did for the Magnificent seven.

You also need to learn to read for comprehension. You've been known to get things screwed up in your head from a non-understanding of what's been written and placed in front of you.

marv2
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
That passage in Mary's book is there because Cindy did NOT plan on coming back at first, but changed her mind, even before the baby was born, hence the reason she was on standby for anyone who got sick.

Exactly Jill! You are right again! Take a look above at David Nathan's interview he did with Mary back in 1974. I highlighted the part that speaks to this.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;133644]David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

By David Nathan
Home > SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES > Classic Interviews & Features > CLASSIC FEATURE: The Supremes 1974 Interview

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists....... Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean. [Quote]

As much as we fans love Mary and all the Supremes, Mary seems to flip-flop so easily. In writing her second book in 1990, Mary devotes many pages to explaining why Jean left. She also never mentions Lynda as a 'temporary' replacement.

If you quote the words of a 1974 interview as the end-all gospel truth, then you are calling Mary a liar for writing what she did in 1994!

And consider this quote from "Supreme Faith' pg 108
"I didn't know what to think. I was looking for a new girl to take Jean's place , WITHOUT KNOWING if I should be filling Lynda's place too. The executive who criticized Jean and Lynda never owned up to how the business drove these women to be that way. I understood where Jean and Lynda were coming from, perhaps too well. They were just rebelling.

marv2
11-30-2012, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;133644]David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

By David Nathan

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists....... Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean. [Quote]

As much as we fans love Mary and all the Supremes, Mary seems to flip-flop so easily. In writing her second book in 1990, Mary devotes many pages to explaining why Jean left. She also never mentions Lynda as a 'temporary' replacement.

If you quote the words of a 1974 interview as the end-all gospel truth, then you are calling Mary a liar for writing what she did in 1994!

And consider this quote from "Supreme Faith' pg 108
"I didn't know what to think. I was looking for a new girl to take Jean's place , WITHOUT KNOWING if I should be filling Lynda's place too. The executive who criticized Jean and Lynda never owned up to how the business drove these women to be that way. I understood where Jean and Lynda were coming from, perhaps too well. They were just rebelling.

Nah, she ain't flip flopping. That was Romney! Notice the date of the David Nathan interview. It was done in 1974 when all the information pertaining to Laurence's temporary status in the Supremes was still fresh in Mary's and everyone else's mind. Back in '74 she may not have known exactly why Jean left, but by 1990 and doing enough research she had more information about it!

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=carole cucumber;133648]

You also need to learn to read for comprehension. You've been known to get things screwed up in your head from a non-understanding of what's been written and placed in front of you.

I certainly do know when what has been written and placed before me is incorrect. My reading comprehension skills are on target.

jillfoster
11-30-2012, 09:36 PM
I wonder why Motown included her in this collage if she was only a temp and not a true Supreme

http://www.scherriepayneandlyndalaurence.com/8realsupremes.jpg

For the same reason Motown put out a 70's Supremes compilation with Diana, Mary, and Flo on the cover. But really, tempororary doesn't negate legitimacy.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Nah, she ain't flip flopping. That was Romney! Notice the date of the David Nathan interview. It was done in 1974 when all the information pertaining to Laurence's temporary status in the Supremes was still fresh in Mary's and everyone else's mind. Back in '74 she may not have known exactly why Jean left, but by 1990 and doing enough research she had more information about it![/QUOTE]

Doing enough research?!?! Mary was telling her life story, her remembrances. . If she did research, she would have come upon this article which she likely owned or had received from fans... she would have, being the lady that she is, acknowledged her lack of knowledge at that time and added that she had gained new insight.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 09:47 PM
For the same reason Motown put out a 70's Supremes compilation with Diana, Mary, and Flo on the cover. But really, tempororary doesn't negate legitimacy.

No, not for the same reason.
George Solomon publicaly addressed that cover mix-up. He pointed out the error to a higher-up who retorted that a cover with DMF would be more recognizable to the casual fan and therefore sell more copies. Even after George's objection, it was printed and marketed that way.

marv2
11-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Nah, she ain't flip flopping. That was Romney! Notice the date of the David Nathan interview. It was done in 1974 when all the information pertaining to Laurence's temporary status in the Supremes was still fresh in Mary's and everyone else's mind. Back in '74 she may not have known exactly why Jean left, but by 1990 and doing enough research she had more information about it!

Doing enough research?!?! Mary was telling her life story, her remembrances. . If she did research, she would have come upon this article which she likely owned or had received from fans... she would have, being the lady that she is, acknowledge her lack of knowledge at that time and added that she had gained new insight.[/QUOTE]

Face it, Lynda Laurence was not an important person in Mary Wilson's life so i can see why it may have been easy to forget some things involving her. I cannot remember everything that happened in the past either. Sometimes family and friends will help me remember something that happened a long , long time ago. In this case, Laurence was just not that important of a character in Mary's life. She's has known a lot of people over the years.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 10:00 PM
She/He is not correct. Your not buying the magazine is not going to hurt anyone except yourself when you try to get it later on and it is selling for $ 250 on Ebay!

Although I bought a copy, I wouldn't be surprised if I see the overstock appearing in book re-sellers after March 2013 at a significantly discounted price.
And from the size and quality of the paper, I wonder how many copies of the magazine that have already been purchased won't show signs of usage.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Face it, Lynda Laurence was not an important person in Mary Wilson's life so i can see why it may have been easy to forget some things involving her. I cannot remember everything that happened in the past either. Sometimes family and friends will help me remember something that happened a long , long time ago. In this case, Laurence was just not that important of a character in Mary's life. She's has known a lot of people over the years.

Marv,
Please follow your own advice!
To utilize your earlier quote "Learn to read for comprehension"! The issue you just replied to involves Mary's 1974 statement that she did not know why Jean left and her 1990 admission of multiple reasons why Jean left. You're talking about Lynda?????

midnightman
11-30-2012, 10:09 PM
It's odd how Mary changed the thing around all the time. First Lynda was a temp, then she wasn't, then she's back as one again... same thing about Cindy. Also I'm not a Supremes fanatic, but anyone knows all three members sung a lead on Bridge...

smark21
11-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I’ve finished reading the magazine. Aside from the Lynda was a temp member of The Supremes, there’s nothing controversial in the book. AT least Lynda rates a few mentions. Pedro Ferrer isn’t mentioned at all in this very Mary Wilson-centric publication. But I can’t blame Mary and Mark Bego leaving Pedro out. Overall, the publication puts a positive light on The Supremes—their music, their image, their glamour, their ability to entertain and make people happy and forget their problems. Any of the sadder aspects of their run are either ignored [[like Andantes singing for them or their commercial decline or Motown 25 or RTL) or covered quickly [[Flo’s departure and death, the line up changes in the 70s). The magazine is a gift to the fans to remember the best aspects of the Supremes legacy.

The copy editing/fact checking could have been more thorough. Besides “The Big of Liverpool”, that album is also referred to as “A Little Bit of Liverpool”, lol. The other weakness is that other than an intro article by Mary Wilson [[where she doesn’t call Lynda a temp member), all the other articles are written by Mark Bego. His writing style begins to grate after a while. He’s obviously a loyal fan and friend of Mary Wilson’s, but he gets too worshipful at times, repeatedly calling Mary “the Supreme Supreme”. Too bad a couple of others writers weren’t brought into the project to write celebratory pieces about various aspects of the Supremes’ career and music as it would have made the magazine a much more interesting read. And while I started the thread and spotlighted the “temp member” references, it’s a shame that it didn’t get cut out by the editors as I think this topic will be the main thing Supremes fans will be talking about with regards to this publication.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 10:22 PM
After describing her as a temporary replacement FOUR TIMES, I believe they know what they are talking about!

Unless there is some new unknown form of math and logic operational here, inaccuracy+ inaccuracy+inaccuracy+inaccuracy does not = accuracy.

smark21
11-30-2012, 10:25 PM
If Lynda had said “no” to participating in Return to Love and wasn’t so aggressive in getting FLOS gigs and obtaining rights to use “Supremes” in the UK, I doubt no one would try to marginalize her as a “temporary” Supreme. This is just silly grudge holding. While I can understand Mary having a grudge against Lynda, it’s absurd fans are so emotionally invested in the issue.

carole cucumber
11-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I now see another reason why the"This Is The Story- Jean Terrell Years" is neither pictured or mentioned. In the booklet write-up by Fred Bronson, both Cindy & Lynda themselves explain how the transitions came about [[pp.12-15). Nary a word in any shape or form of temporary is mentioned.

milven
11-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Did you attend any of these shows milven?

Yes, I saw the Lynda, Mary and Cindy performance.

franjoy56
12-01-2012, 04:22 AM
[I bought this magazine on my lunch hour today in Duane Reed on 5th Ave today and was pleasantly surprised, it is a wonderful dedication to the Supremes legacy. Inspite of the listless errors a "A big of Liverpool" I am not through it yet, I just got into the 1970 era. The magazine is full of priceless photography 65 pages alone dedicated to the original Supremes 18 Pages of the Diana Ross & The Supremes era and 37 pages of the entire 70's Supremes, A complete listing facts and photos of the Original Supremes Albums on three or so pages, and in all every edition of the Supremes is covered inspite of these ramblings about whether Linda was a genuine Supreme, whats more important is that we now have a 50the Anniversary of the Supremes 1st album "Meet The Supremes" in December 1962, and if Mary didn't bring this magazine to light I doubt anyone else would have, so I being a Supremes Fan I am rejoicing in reading this magazine and Mary deserves to have her face on the cover she was an original Supreme and was a part of the success they all shared in. I will report further when I finish it.

nathanj06
12-01-2012, 09:54 AM
marv2:
99.9% of the public could consider beer to be a vegatable and I wouldn't care. Since the topic of this thread is Mary Wilson's 50th Anniversary Supremes Magazine, it is completely topical to discuss it's contents. I think you are the one that is out of place with all due respect!

It may be topical for most but you are completely obsessed in your delusional "Mary-land" and love to criticize anyone that disagree's with you. You are always Supreme right on as you have all the facts. You live and breathe it. You say to me, "with all due respect"? From the same person who commented that I put my nose in where it doesn't belong? In a public forum? In other words, no one should post unless they agree with you first. That would make that an oxymoron. Continue having a field day with this marv2. Looks like you have plenty of posts to catch up on. It gets funnier by the day. Just for the record, I never said anyone was out of place. Maybe we can let the SUPREME COURT decide. :D

Delusions of reference involve people having a belief or perception that irrelevant, unrelated or innocuous phenomena in the world refer to them directly or have special personal significance. The notion that everything one perceives in the world relates to one's own destiny.

marv2
12-01-2012, 12:14 PM
marv2:

It may be topical for most but you are completely obsessed in your delusional "Mary-land" and love to criticize anyone that disagree's with you. You are always Supreme right on as you have all the facts. You live and breathe it. You say to me, "with all due respect"? From the same person who commented that I put my nose in where it doesn't belong? In a public forum? In other words, no one should post unless they agree with you first. That would make that an oxymoron. Continue having a field day with this marv2. Looks like you have plenty of posts to catch up on. It gets funnier by the day. Just for the record, I never said anyone was out of place. Maybe we can let the SUPREME COURT decide. :D

Delusions of reference involve people having a belief or perception that irrelevant, unrelated or innocuous phenomena in the world refer to them directly or have special personal significance. The notion that everything one perceives in the world relates to one's own destiny.

Well you know what you can do? You have two options! hehehehehehehehe..........

jobeterob
12-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Nathan, so this just means Marv gets another "ignore". He's got the most of those already.

Good post. Somebody collected Marv's childishness and swearing off Youtube and here and sent them to Mary Wilson ~ she didn't like it one bit. He doesn't know her or anyone at Universal either though we used to hear "he would tell Mary". This would occur in nightly dreams we later found as in "Dreamboys".

One of our posters here says that if Mary ever appears where Marv lives, her security is aware of him. He will know the accuracy of that assertion.

Ignore is the answer!

marv2
12-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Nathan, so this just means Marv gets another "ignore". He's got the most of those already.

Good post. Somebody collected Marv's childishness and swearing off Youtube and here and sent them to Mary Wilson ~ she didn't like it one bit. He doesn't know her or anyone at Universal either though we used to hear "he would tell Mary". This would occur in nightly dreams we later found as in "Dreamboys".

One of our posters here says that if Mary ever appears where Marv lives, her security is aware of him. He will know the accuracy of that assertion.

Ignore is the answer!
Have you been drinking or just losing your mind?

midnightman
12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
lol these Supremes threads always end up ratchet as [bleep]...

marv2
12-01-2012, 01:43 PM
lol these Supremes threads always end up ratchet as [bleep]...

Uh huh! hehehehehhehehehe.......!!!

smark21
12-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I now see another reason why the"This Is The Story- Jean Terrell Years" is neither pictured or mentioned. In the booklet write-up by Fred Bronson, both Cindy & Lynda themselves explain how the transitions came about [[pp.12-15). Nary a word in any shape or form of temporary is mentioned.

I found it odd that This is the Story box set was not included in the magazine as well, but I don’t think it has anything to do with how Mark Bego and/or Mary Wilson perceive Lynda’s status as a Supreme. Other re-issues were left out as well. It was odd that there’s a page devoted to a track listing of the unreleased Disney album. And two pages include random recipes from Mary Wilson. Just some odd editorial choices. Perhaps Bego left This is the Story out of the magazine because he didn’t get a Supremes necklace when he received the boxset in the mail?

carole cucumber
12-01-2012, 04:01 PM
It was odd that there’s a page devoted to a track listing of the unreleased Disney album.

Perhaps the Disney album has been given prominence among the unreleased albums because Mark and/or Mary may hope that fans will write in requesting it's release.
And is that really the proposed artwork, as claimed?
It seems odd [[though possible) that characters from Bambi, the Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians would be pictured on an album cover which included no songs from those animated films. [[And yes, I did notice Minnie Mouse, who with Mickey, is synonymous with Disney as well as Tinkerbell)
I remember either Andy Skurow or George Solomon stating that the next Supreme's re-issue would not be A-Go-Go, which would follow I Hear A Symphony sequentially.
I would expect that the next Supremes re-issue would fill-in the gap by combining Liverpool/Country Western & Pop/Sam Cooke +out-takes/alternate versions even though I would welcome having all the Disney tracks in one place.

smark21
12-01-2012, 05:54 PM
If Liverpool is given the deluxe reissue, will it be titled “A Bit of Liverpool”, “A Little Bit of Liverpool”, or “The Big of Liverpool”?;)

Koach
12-01-2012, 06:00 PM
How about an Itty Bitty Bit of Liverpool? :)

nathanj06
12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
marv2,
Please continue your ridiculous ranting and childish behavior. Hey I do have a good title for your book. "Call Her Miss Wilson".

Regards ;)

luke
12-01-2012, 06:30 PM
LMAO; Cindy and Mary both say she was a temp/sub so why the hassle? Id think theyd know something.

marv2
12-01-2012, 07:48 PM
LMAO; Cindy and Mary both say she was a temp/sub so why the hassle? Id think theyd know something.

There is no hassle just a few nutcases that can't accept the truth! LOL!!!! Mary knows what the deal was.....

stephanie
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Can I send someone the money in the mail and they can pick up a copy for me?
My email is stephanie_20904@yahoo.com

franjoy56
12-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I just finished reading my copy and aside from a few errors Big of Liverpool, and Mary singing sole lead on Bridge over troubled water and the exclusion of some major reissues, I found My Supremes magazine to be very entertaining and a testament to the Supremes as a group. I think every Supremes LP release is mentioned here as well as some reissues. 13 Original Supremes, 12 DR & S 9 Jean Terrell era LP's and 4 Scherrie Payne era and one Greatest Hits featuring both Terrell and Payne on lead.

The photos are fabulous especially the one with Mary and Flo on Page 64 a full 8x10 color shot a rare photo, and another two page photo of dmc in 1968 probably in england a full page of the Supremes from the TCB finale with the butterfly gowns a full page of Diana Ross from 1965, a double page shot of Jean, Mary and Cindy off by herself with the green gowns worn on the TOM JOneS SHOW, an outake of a shot on the NWBLS album little photos an outake of the Mary Scherrie Susaye album two full pages of Mary Cindy Scherrie, two rare photos of Mary and Susaye, in rehearsal, various solo shots of Mary Wilson then and now, with friends including Mark Bego and much more, even though no solo shot of Flo her image is well represented on the first 64 pages. and much more is included Coca Cola photos, The Supremes Dolls, a photo of the Supremes with the Supreme wig collection JML getting ready for the stage.. so why would anyone see anything wrong with this commeorative anniversary issue other than the fact that Mary doesn't deserve to share this with the fans who loved the Supremes all these years, and the fact that she is keeping the legacy alive, I highly recommend it for any Supremes Fan.

REDHOT
12-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I just got this magazine,i was looking for something more,something different,something new,no matter what,i'm a fan,and i'm still glad to have it,i just love The Supremes from the 70s,
Please stay positive

luke
12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Has anyone found it anywhere besides Hudson News?

Penny
12-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Can I send someone the money in the mail and they can pick up a copy for me?
My email is stephanie_20904@yahoo.com

Stephanie, you can send me all the money in the mail you want!

Penny;)

westgrandboulevard
12-02-2012, 12:19 PM
And then Penny, you'll send all the Avon products that Stephanie wants...?!LOL:)

I wonder if this magazine will be generally available in other countries - for example, here in UK...

Kamasu_Jr
12-02-2012, 12:31 PM
And then Penny, you'll send all the Avon products that Stephanie wants...?!LOL:)

I wonder if this magazine will be generally available in other countries - for example, here in UK...

Don't sweat it. I bet if it's not sold in the UK... fans there can still buy one on Ebay or MW's website. She sells everything else. Why not her magazine?
Supposedly, the magazine will be available at Target and Walmart stores.
Who in the US doesn't have a Target or a Walmart in their town? If you live in the US - in a major or small town with a Walmart...why would you need to send someone on the forum money to buy you a magazine and mail it to you? Yeah, I'm nosey.

ivyfield
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Did she also refer to Betty and Barbara in the same way? Doubt it. You're either in a group or you're not. What a dumb statement. Just enforces Mary's insecurities. When Lynda joined the group it was Jean who picked her [[Sundray was also in the running). I get sick of reading about 'The Supremes - according to Mary Wilson' and I really wish Motown/Hipo-Select would ask other members of the group [[Diana,Jean,Scherrie, Cindy, Lynda, Susaye) for their memories of the Supremes. After all, they all played their part too. Just sayin'.

Sorry if it upsets Mary's fans but this needed a response.

Kamasu_Jr
12-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Westgrandboulevard, Stephanie and anyone else who wants My Supremes and worry they won't be able to get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-Mary-Wilson-2012-50th-Anniversary-Celebration-Photos-/160932944045?pt=Magazines&hash=item257859d8ad

Ivyfield, I get your point.

westgrandboulevard
12-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Kamasu_Jr

Thanks!:)

Kamasu_Jr
12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Kamasu_Jr

Thanks!:)

You're welcome. Look around on Ebay...US. I saw a couple of other sellers offering this magazine. You might find a good bargain. I'm in a major US city, so I will look for it at Barnes & Noble, Target, Walmart, Walgreens or maybe even a Kroger store. It's just a magazine. They sell those everywhere here.

marv2
12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Just got my copy and it opens up with a winner! Mary Wilson as "Josephine"!!!!

smark21
12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I saw it on sale at a Duane Reade in Manhattan.

smark21
12-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Did she also refer to Betty and Barbara in the same way? Doubt it. You're either in a group or you're not. What a dumb statement. Just enforces Mary's insecurities. When Lynda joined the group it was Jean who picked her [[Sundray was also in the running). I get sick of reading about 'The Supremes - according to Mary Wilson' and I really wish Motown/Hipo-Select would ask other members of the group [[Diana,Jean,Scherrie, Cindy, Lynda, Susaye) for their memories of the Supremes. After all, they all played their part too. Just sayin'.

For the Hip-P Let Yourself Go boxset booklet, Cindy, Scherrie and Susaye were intereviewed and quoted as well as Mary. And I believe Mary, Lynda and Cindy provided quotes for the This is the story boxset.

marv2
12-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Mary is hardly insecure about anything. She is one of the most confident women I know. What is Lynda Laurence doing these days?

jobeterob
12-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Mary is hardly insecure about anything. She is one of the most confident women I know. What is Lynda Laurence doing these days?

You don't know Lynda or Mary, much like the rest of us.

Lynda and Mary are probably doing about the same ~ playing with their grandchildren and doing a bit of work here and there which is great for the retired crowd. And neither of them are keen on nutty fans.

Jimi LaLumia
12-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I bought one in a fresh stack of them at the local Super Stop & Shop;..they have these stores everywhere, don't they?

luke
12-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Thx smark. Barnes and Noble isnt sure wheter they will get it or not.

marv2
12-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Lynda and Mary are probably doing about the same ~ playing with their grandchildren and doing a bit of work here and there which is great for the retired crowd. And neither of them are keen on nutty fans.

I beg your pardon? You don't know who I know. I have never met you before in my life remember? So stop sounding like a fool and proclaiming to know who I do and do not know! Thanks.

marv2
12-02-2012, 05:30 PM

I do not know you but you sound like an incredibly stupid man if you think Mary Wilson and Lynda Laurence are doing the same. Mary is out performing all over the World, has a new recording, just wrapped filming a new movie, has an active [[and profitable) gown exhibit and just had a commerative magazine released on her career. She's also doing tons of interviews , some of which have been posted here. So stop showing your feigned [[or maybe it's real) ignorance with all the evidence available regarding Mary Wilson's very active career. Now I'll ask again..............What is Lynda Laurence doing these days?

marv2
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
I bought one in a fresh stack of them at the local Super Stop & Shop;..they have these stores everywhere, don't they?

Jimi, those are mostly on Long Island. I picked mine up at Targets.

marv2
12-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Thx smark. Barnes and Noble isnt sure wheter they will get it or not.

Luke, I checked with Barnes and Nobles too and they did not have it.

luke
12-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Wow Stop and Shop here I come!

marv2
12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow Stop and Shop here I come!

and then there's always King Kullens and Walbaums! LOL!!!

luke
12-02-2012, 06:05 PM
I didnt know Target had magazine section! Walbaums kaput here. K mart?

stopinthenameoflove
12-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Any updates on dates for Lynda's live appearances this year and next?

Thanks

luke
12-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Is Cindy dumb too?

marv2
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Is Cindy dumb too?

She has to be dumb to ALWAYS side with Mary Wilson! Yeah? right! LOL!

nathanj06
12-02-2012, 10:55 PM
I do not know you but you sound like an incredibly stupid man if you think Mary Wilson and Lynda Laurence are doing the same. Mary is out performing all over the World, has a new recording, just wrapped filming a new movie, has an active [[and profitable) gown exhibit and just had a commerative magazine released on her career. She's also doing tons of interviews , some of which have been posted here. So stop showing your feigned [[or maybe it's real) ignorance with all the evidence available regarding Mary Wilson's very active career. Now I'll ask again..............What is Lynda Laurence doing these days?

You mean you don't know? She told me she just spoke to you while she was hanging out laundry and that you were going over to scrub her toilets. I don't understand your confusion marvy poo.

motony
12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
bought a copy last night at Publix, a large grocery store chain throughout the Southeast, esp. Florida. You can't get any more mainstream then Publix. They had about 10 copies.Besides "Big of Liverpool" & mistakes that a proof reader should have caught, its well made.Thank you Mary Wilson for keeping the Supremes legacy alive.

woodward
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM
I didnt know Target had magazine section! Walbaums kaput here. K mart?

K MART had 4 on their shelves today in Sussex County, Delaware, of all places. I never expected to find it there of all places especially since I don't think there is a heavy demand here for it. Fortunately, I already ordered one via eBay and it sold for $1 less [[$7.99) with free shipping, so it should be here in a couple of days. At least I was assured of getting one because I called several Barnes and Nobles and none of them have it or even have anything in their computer about it.

BayouMotownMan
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
To add more clarification...or confusion...when Jean and Mary started scouting for a replacement for Cindy, Stevie Wonder recommended Sundray Tucker. Jean and Lynda went to a Stevie concert to check out Sundray, but noticed Lynda, her sister, with a better figure and a resemblance to Cindy. Both ladies auditioned, but Lynda was chosen.

Few fans, including this one, realized that it was not Cindy on the cover. With the hat she was wearing, Lynda's smile was similar to Cindy's and few people picked out the difference

Shaqueetha_Jackson
12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
It is a cryin and its a shame that even from supose SUPREMES fans the number one original supreme FlorenceBlonede ballard gets less mention then replacement linda lawrense can a supposed fan who has seen the 50 anniversery book tell us about Florence blonde Ballard please is ther a photo of her

smark21
12-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Yes Shaqueetha, there are plenty of pictures of Flo [[with Mary and Diana) in the magazine and many of Flo’s recorded leads are signaled out as highlights on the albums they’re featured on.

franjoy56
12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Shaquetta are you able to get a copy in your city, there Flo is mentioned in many captions and articles and pics on the first 65 pages, and she is represented on all the 60's studio albums execpt, Love Child. and even there is a quote from her talking about how she picked out the name. If you cannot get a copy post your email the mag cost 8.99

luke
12-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Wonderful magazine. Got it today.

marv2
12-03-2012, 10:59 PM
That picture of Florence and Mary on page 64 was worth the cost of the magazine!

johnjeb
12-03-2012, 11:39 PM
My copy refers to "The Big of Loverpool!

midnightman
12-04-2012, 03:02 AM
^ The Big of Loverpool? Lord...

ivyfield
12-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Well the Supreme lady helped me create the Supremely Yours II project, did some solo work in Australia with Gil Askey earlier this year, and gigs as a member of FLOS - with more to come before the end of this year...

marv2
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Well the Supreme lady helped me create the Supremely Yours II project, did some solo work in Australia with Gil Askey earlier this year, and gigs as a member of FLOS - with more to come before the end of this year...

Thank you! That was all I was asking before getting smart-assed responses from others.

ivyfield
12-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Westgrandboulevard, Stephanie and anyone else who wants My Supremes and worry they won't be able to get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-Mary-Wilson-2012-50th-Anniversary-Celebration-Photos-/160932944045?pt=Magazines&hash=item257859d8ad

Ivyfield, I get your point. Thanks. Common sense HAS to prevail here otherwise it might as well be called the Motown National Enquirer...

marybrewster
12-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you kamasu for posting the ebay link; I was able to purchase for $7.99 with free shipping. I have looked at several outlets in Minnesota and have yet to find anything.

jobeterob
12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
The ebay listing is gone and it's not on Amazon; it anyone spots one again, can they post please.

marybrewster
12-04-2012, 01:01 PM
The ebay listing is gone and it's not on Amazon; it anyone spots one again, can they post please.

It might be sold out. When I purchased, there were 10 copies and only 2 available. I might have gotten one of the last.

I'm sure it'll pop up again, with a premium price, no doubt.

But it sounds like others have been able to find it easily; I guess I just didn't want to take the chance of missing out.

marybrewster
12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Here's one, Buy It Now for $8.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-Mary-Wilson-50th-Anniversary-Celebration-2012-/221162261894?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D13535%26meid%3D3922034594071755390%26pid%3D 100011%26prg%3D1080%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D160932944045%2 6

blueskies
12-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Walked into Target this morning and they had a bunch of them. Got mine.

marybrewster
12-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Here's another for auction, 4 bids, already at $15.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mary-Wilson-MY-SUPREMES-50th-Anniversary-Celebration-Diana-Ross-/400351995155?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D13535%26meid%3D3922034594071755390%26pid%3D 100011%26prg%3D1080%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D160932944045%2 6

markdtiller
12-04-2012, 04:17 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-Mary-Wilson-50th-Anniversary-Celebration-2012-/221162261894?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D13535%26meid%3D3922034594071755390%26pid%3D 100011%26prg%3D1080%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D160932944045%2 6

That one only ships to U.S. There's another, currently $15 but bids are rising.

nathanj06
12-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Thank you! That was all I was asking before getting smart-assed responses from others.

Very amusing marv2. Did you ever think if you showed respect to others you might receive the same? You have made more than your share of "smart assed" remarks on here. That's the pot calling the kettle black. Grow up and then, and only then, you might see a change of attitude towards you.

marv2
12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Very amusing marv2. Did you ever think if you showed respect to others you might receive the same? You have made more than your share of "smart assed" remarks on here. That's the pot calling the kettle black. Grow up and then, and only then, you might see a change of attitude towards you.

Blow it out your ear!

nathanj06
12-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Blow it out your ear!

Just further proof. Pathetic.

marv2
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Just further proof. Pathetic.
Stop being a jerk and move on or are you trying to pick a fight?

marybrewster
12-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Going.....gone!

davidh
12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Thought i was going to read comments on the magazine and photos but we seem to get into a debate over who is supreme.they all are.

nathanj06
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Stop being a jerk and move on or are you trying to pick a fight?

Yes why don't you anyway. You do it all the time. Reverse psychology doesn't work with me. By all means do move on. I know you'll come back with some stupid remark. Go for it. I'm done.

davidh
12-05-2012, 06:34 PM
went to Barnes and Noble, they had nothing

hwume
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Forgive me if this was already posted:

Mary Wilson guests on a popular Australian chat and variety show, comes in around 9:00... wow.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/2268476139/Rockwiz-S10-Ep134-Mary-Wilson-and-Joe-Camilleri

And then... Gil Askey - ! - the irrepressible - around 22:45... what a memory. And a Motown quiz, besides.

jobeterob
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Excellent interview and song! Thank you.

smark21
12-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I’m sure a separate thread will be posted on this when it gets closer to air date, but Mary Wilson and Mark Bego have taped an interview with Tavis Smiley to promote the magazine and the interview will air on Smiley’s PBS show next Friday night the 14th.

davidh
12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
any comments about whats in the magazine??? and not who is or not a supremes

midnightman
12-06-2012, 04:46 AM
Thought i was going to read comments on the magazine and photos but we seem to get into a debate over who is supreme.they all are.

It's a shame, ain't it? You don't get these kind of discussions with the friggin' Temptations! LOL

smark21
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
This is a repost of what I posted on page 2 summing up the magazine:

I’ve finished reading the magazine. Aside from the Lynda was a temp member of The Supremes, there’s nothing controversial in the book. AT least Lynda rates a few mentions. Pedro Ferrer isn’t mentioned at all in this very Mary Wilson-centric publication. But I can’t blame Mary and Mark Bego leaving Pedro out. Overall, the publication puts a positive light on The Supremes—their music, their image, their glamour, their ability to entertain and make people happy and forget their problems. Any of the sadder aspects of their run are either ignored [[like Andantes singing for them or their commercial decline or Motown 25 or RTL) or covered quickly [[Flo’s departure and death, the line up changes in the 70s). The magazine is a gift to the fans to remember the best aspects of the Supremes legacy.

The copy editing/fact checking could have been more thorough. Besides “The Big of Liverpool”, that album is also referred to as “A Little Bit of Liverpool”, lol. The other weakness is that other than an intro article by Mary Wilson [[where she doesn’t call Lynda a temp member), all the other articles are written by Mark Bego. His writing style begins to grate after a while. He’s obviously a loyal fan and friend of Mary Wilson’s, but he gets too worshipful at times, repeatedly calling Mary “the Supreme Supreme”. Too bad a couple of others writers weren’t brought into the project to write celebratory pieces about various aspects of the Supremes’ career and music as it would have made the magazine a much more interesting read. And while I started the thread and spotlighted the “temp member” references, it’s a shame that it didn’t get cut out by the editors as I think this topic will be the main thing Supremes fans will be talking about with regards to this publication.

marybrewster
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Supremes-Mary-Wilson-2012-50th-Anniversary-Celebration-History-Photos-/181039040267?pt=Magazines&hash=item2a26c4870b

Here is another listing on eBay for the magazine, for those that can't find it; $9.99 Buy It Now with $3.99 shipping.

luke
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Magazine very enjoyable. Great pics-a few I havent seen. Kind of a crash course in Supremistory!

midnightman
12-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm actually glad Mary did this for anniversary reasons and obviously she cut out all the drama so that's good. Hope it's a success.

franjoy56
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
The original Supremes album covers alone with its highlights, and rare photos, are worth its weight in gold. Perhaps this may not be the last Supremes magazine to come out, I look forward to more, and to Mary's tv blitz on the tv circuit, and thankfully the drama has been cut out..

marv2
12-07-2012, 12:57 AM
That picture of Florence and Mary on page 64 was worth the cost of the magazine!

johnjeb
12-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Usually these special-release periodicals stay on the shelf for a longer period than a weekly or a monthly. Does anyone know when this publication might be pulled to go back to the publisher, or even worse - get tossed?

As of yesterday, my local Stop & Shop grocery store still had 8 copies - I don't think any were sold other than the one I purchased. BJs, in the same town had 4 copies. I would hate to see these destroyed.

reese
12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Usually these special-release periodicals stay on the shelf for a longer period than a weekly or a monthly. Does anyone know when this publication might be pulled to go back to the publisher, or even worse - get tossed?

As of yesterday, my local Stop & Shop grocery store still had 8 copies - I don't think any were sold other than the one I purchased. BJs, in the same town had 4 copies. I would hate to see these destroyed.

The cover says that the magazine can be displayed until March 4, 2013.

marv2
12-07-2012, 08:37 AM

What town are you in , if you don't mind?

luke
12-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I saw them in a newstand and Stop and Shop in Ct--good distribution!

marybrewster
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Still haven't seen any in Minnesota, but my copy via eBay did arrive today.

While I haven't had the chance to look at it in depth, I will say from what I've seen so far, it's definitely worth the purchase price.

R. Mark Desjardins
12-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I haven't seen any copies for sale in Vancouver, Canada as yet, so to cover the bases, I purchased my copy on eBay for $9.99.

johnjeb
12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
What town are you in , if you don't mind?

30 miles west of Boston, MA

R. Mark Desjardins
12-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I received my copy of Mary Wilson's "My Supremes" today. Wow! It's amazing that no other publishing company has previously tapped the market for a photo collection like this before. This magazine has whetted my appetite for a high quality comprehensive large format coffee table book featuring rare Supremes photos as well as their European and world wide record covers. The Beatles,The Rolling Stones and The Jackson Five have been saluted with similar books, but there's never been anything yet of similar quality on The Supremes.

Shaqueetha_Jackson
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I got my copy this weekend at walmarts so many beautiful pictures Florence ablondie Ballard the supreme supreme thank you mary wilson this means everything to me wow fifty years

marybrewster
12-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Outside of a few minor errors, this really is a great addition to any Supremes collectors collection. Mary and Mark did an outstanding job putting this together; the quality is magnificent and it's filled with supreme goodness. Thank you Miss Mary for this lovely magazine. I've mentioned it before, but if you haven't picked this up, don't delay. It's well worth it's purchase price, even more.

stingbeelee
12-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Agree with marybrewster 100%! Picked one up at one of the hospitals gift shop in Detroit and it is a very nice magazine. Lots of pictures, some I have never seen before. My purchase price was weird, came to $9.53; but to me, its worth every penny.

revvy
12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Forgive me if this was already posted:

Mary Wilson guests on a popular Australian chat and variety show, comes in around 9:00... wow.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/2268476139/Rockwiz-S10-Ep134-Mary-Wilson-and-Joe-Camilleri

And then... Gil Askey - ! - the irrepressible - around 22:45... what a memory. And a Motown quiz, besides.

Mary did an excellent job with that song. She really has come into her own. This type of singing is definitely her style. So proud of her!

supremester
12-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Miss Ross is referred to as" The Supreme Supreme " in many places since 1967 - including the cover of Look magazine in 1969. Mary and Cindy have often been referred to as excess baggage etc over the years - my fave being "hooting owls" you can pretty much find quotes to support anything.
Lynda being called a temp is bratty, petty and bitchy considering sang lead on her very first gig with the group - not to mention how badly Mary tried to get her to do those South American gigs. I have the Soul Magazine where Mary is practically begging fans to accept new MEMBER Lynda Lawrence - she never called her a temp in that interview. Of course, this is S.O.P. for LaMare so it's not surprising........ just sayin'. Also, if she was a temp, why was Mary shocked when she gave notice?

BigAl
12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm guessing this is what eventually came of Mary's coffee table book idea. Some years ago she came up with the idea and asked fans to assist with photos. Looking at the photos in this publication I see perhaps three which have not appeared all over the place before, so I suspect the fans might not have come through in the way which Mary thought they might. Since this is in a magazine format and was produced very inexpensively it's going to be very fragile and ephemeral and after a few thumbings-through it will quickly begin to deteriorate. I looked through mine once and then placed it into a protective plastic bag with a piece of cardboard to keep it from getting bent or creased. It's a nice addition to a collection but, in truth, not a very compelling publication.

Motown4Ever518
12-18-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm guessing this is what eventually came of Mary's coffee table book idea. Some years ago she came up with the idea and asked fans to assist with photos. Looking at the photos in this publication I see perhaps three which have not appeared all over the place before, so I suspect the fans might not have come through in the way which Mary thought they might. Since this is in a magazine format and was produced very inexpensively it's going to be very fragile and ephemeral and after a few thumbings-through it will quickly begin to deteriorate. I looked through mine once and then placed it into a protective plastic bag with a piece of cardboard to keep it from getting bent or creased. It's a nice addition to a collection but, in truth, not a very compelling publication.

Agreed, not compelling reading, but as a Motownite, I had to have it. I was talking to a magazine distributor acquaintance, who said he had one on his desk, the next time I see him, I will muster the courage to ask if he read it and what he thought of it. Though I suspect he may have obtained it as a momento of the way things used to be, [[pun definitely intended), or to have, as it is sure to become a collectors item. There were some photos I haven't seen numerous times, but the target audience is probably not those of us at this site.

luke
12-18-2012, 07:51 PM
In a very recent interview Mary said she is still going to do coffee table book. She was great on the TSmiley show though he said he felt like a background Supreme as she kind of took over! I swear it sure looks like Florence on the Reflections album cover in the magazine, center right next to Mary--anyone else?

skooldem1
12-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I saw this magazine. Some good pictures in it, but disappointed that it was just a regular magazine. I was expecting something along the lines of the LIFE magazine year end issues that they have, or for issues done on the Beatles, Princess Diana or Elizabeth Taylor. With those the cover is more sturdy. Too bad Mary couldn't find a real publisher this time around for her planned coffee table book.

smark21
12-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I doubt Mary is going to find a publisher for her coffee table book. I suspect she’s putting up a front. That magazine is the coffee table book. Just a sign of where the Supremes brand stands these days.

jillfoster
12-18-2012, 09:48 PM
I doubt Mary is going to find a publisher for her coffee table book. I suspect she’s putting up a front. That magazine is the coffee table book. Just a sign of where the Supremes brand stands these days.

She has already had offers from publishers. She's being too picky and not accepting their offers. NOW... I finally got my magazine today, and I expected it to be MUCH better than it was. Don't get me wrong, there are some real gems in there.. but there are FAR too many low resolution images, images which need to be color corrected, and the album cover shots? ATROCIOUS! Did Bego just pull these scans off the internet? Because they look like crap. As a photo editor he sucks donkey balls. I could have done a far better job making this look GOOD. And even if he was going to use screen captures, he didn't use very good ones. You need to guage the image in the magazine to the size of your original image or SMALLER, and if you have to blow it up too large, you will lose resolution, hence, only use high quality 8X10's for full page photos. The picture on the BACK COVER looks awful! And me and many fans have the crystal clear 8X10 of that picture, and shrinking it down to that size should have made it so clear it would knock your socks off! Between that and the typos, a VERY amatuerish job, looks like it was just thrown together... but seeing how many books Bego has written, his stock and trade is obviously just throwing things together. Like I said, there are some GEMS that were scanned and done properly, but the bad ones bring down the look of the entire magazine. And if the front cover was simply a pic of DMF in a glamor shot, then this would sell more copies. The cover I feel is too busy, and the pic of Mary should have been inside the front cover, with a lovely foreward written by her on page 1.

Roberta75
12-18-2012, 09:49 PM

Maybe the coffee table book is going be released in conjunction with Marys new CD.

Roberta

rod_rick
12-18-2012, 10:56 PM
What's funny to me is so many bitch about what Mary is doing to keep the name Supreme current and herself as well. Nobody else is helping her or fronting most of these projects. If there were a publisher like Rollingstone magazine behind this effort, maybe we would have gotten a better quality product. I'm just thankful somebody offered to do this and she accepted, because no one else has. One more thing, Lynda was a Supreme temporary or not she still was a SUPREME.

franjoy56
12-19-2012, 12:52 AM
She has already had offers from publishers. She's being too picky and not accepting their offers. NOW... I finally got my magazine today, and I expected it to be MUCH better than it was. Don't get me wrong, there are some real gems in there.. but there are FAR too many low resolution images, images which need to be color corrected, and the album cover shots? ATROCIOUS! Did Bego just pull these scans off the internet? Because they look like crap. As a photo editor he sucks donkey balls. I could have done a far better job making this look GOOD. And even if he was going to use screen captures, he didn't use very good ones. You need to guage the image in the magazine to the size of your original image or SMALLER, and if you have to blow it up too large, you will lose resolution, hence, only use high quality 8X10's for full page photos. The picture on the BACK COVER looks awful! And me and many fans have the crystal clear 8X10 of that picture, and shrinking it down to that size should have made it so clear it would knock your socks off! Between that and the typos, a VERY amatuerish job, looks like it was just thrown together... but seeing how many books Bego has written, his stock and trade is obviously just throwing things together. Like I said, there are some GEMS that were scanned and done properly, but the bad ones bring down the look of the entire magazine. And if the front cover was simply a pic of DMF in a glamor shot, then this would sell more copies. The cover I feel is too busy, and the pic of Mary should have been inside the front cover, with a lovely foreward written by her on page 1.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, Mary should have had some solid publishing magazine, photo shop etc, people around doing editing and paying attention to detail, but let me tell you i never expected an all Supremes magazine and Mary did the best she could have especiallly since she probably had to finance this project herself and hopfully she will get some high sales on this project. Though I am extemely happy with this, and other fans will complain, perhaps in 2014 we will get another magazine on the 50th anniversary of that little ditty neither one of the supremes liked 'WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO" album and single.

MotownSteve
12-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Another great show, John.

supremester
12-19-2012, 04:18 AM
I don't see how Mary has kept the legacy alive - she feeds off of it, but The Flos have a more Supreme-esque act and Miss Ross performs more Supremes songs in their entirety for more people than anyone - plus she delivers what the public wants most: quality arrangements honoring the originals, the same glamour and most important, the lead voice that everyone loved to begin with. Additionally, she honors the group with video of ALL Supremes and did salutes to the legacy in many of her TV specials around the world. She also protected the legacy by not discussing the family business goings on - even after Mary began marketing it - including how many songs did not feature Mary, Cindy OR Flo. She could easily have shot at Mary with quotes like "I loved all the girls - there were so many. We had different writers, producers, arrangers and 7 different background groupings on our hits - the only constant was my voice...... I don't recall seeing Mary around that much and I know she wasn't on Love Child< Someday and entire albums." Instead, she never said a word and kept it still. Even after Mary began saying that "Motown began to use The Andantes after Flo left to get the public used to Diane's voice alone...." A lie don't care who tell it. Yes, Mary has worked to keep the legacy alive, but not any more than anyone else. And not without profit. I'm glad she has the dresses touring - but she charges for it - as she should. My point is, her legacy keeping is not selfless. At all.

Everybody has their favorite Supreme but at the end of the day it an Institution and not built around anyone now, but thanks to Mary the legacy is kept alive, and she certainly has that right to call it My Supremes, she's been at the helm forever..

supremester
12-19-2012, 05:08 AM
I think if all The Supremes got together, as it should have been, and made a joint effort - Rolling Stone would gladly have done it. They know the kind of pandering dreck that Bego excretes and prolly didn't want to do a limited interest vanity piece.

What's funny to me is so many bitch about what Mary is doing to keep the name Supreme current and herself as well. Nobody else is helping her or fronting most of these projects. If there were a publisher like Rollingstone magazine behind this effort, maybe we would have gotten a better quality product. I'm just thankful somebody offered to do this and she accepted, because no one else has. One more thing, Lynda was a Supreme temporary or not she still was a SUPREME.

supremester
12-19-2012, 05:21 AM
I have the Soul Magazine June 1972 "An Open Letter To The Newest Supreme" where Mary BEGS the fans to accept new MEMBER Lynda. She's so full of opportunistic memories, or is just habitually untruthful, that she'll say anything that sounds good at the time. I could cite a dozen examples with page numbers if anyone doubts this. Mary doesn't have it easy and I don't blame her for trying to make a buck while she can, but this petty bitchy stuff is not only chipping away at her meager fan base, but harming "the legacy" in epic proportions. She should try burying the hatchet and honoring all Supremes. I'm so glad Miss Ross keeps her distance from this dark light. Mary: CHILL!

pg. 61

pg. 117

supremester
12-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Maybe Mark & Mary wrote that after that after Oscar party they attended and got smashed at. Sadly, even IF Bego wrote it, Mary, High Queen Protoctor Of The Legacy, should have read it and made sure it was Supreme so that cynics might not think it was just slapped together to make a quick buck - further damaging the legacy with cheap, poorly produced stabs at a quick buck.
[QUOTE=marv2;133645]

nathanj06
12-19-2012, 07:28 AM
supremester,
Could you be more specific? I'd like to know what you REALLY think. :rolleyes:

jobeterob
12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Is this magazine available anywhere in Canada? I cant find it on Amazon USA or Amazon Canada anymore. Initially, it was only on Amazon USA and the shipping was $20 to Canada. Even if there are errors, a fan will want it. Any ideas where to get it now?

R. Mark Desjardins
12-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Jobeterob
I got my copy on eBay and I see that just minutes ago one vendor is listing it for &9.99 plus $9.99 postage to Canada, which is probably the best deal you'll get. Maybe you could check with the Magazine Department at Chapters if there is one in your city. Maybe they can track it down and order copies. The magazine lists for $7.99 on the newsstand. Good luck!

supremester
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm a very private person and prefer to keep my opinions to myself.

supremester,
Could you be more specific? I'd like to know what you REALLY think. :rolleyes:

supremester
12-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Rob, as it turns out, I have an extra as I bought one for a sick friend who has one already. If you email me< it would be my pleasure to send it to you.

supremester2@yahoo

Is this magazine available anywhere in Canada? I cant find it on Amazon USA or Amazon Canada anymore. Initially, it was only on Amazon USA and the shipping was $20 to Canada. Even if there are errors, a fan will want it. Any ideas where to get it now?

marv2
12-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Mary Wilson is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy [[and no one else!) I think she and Mark Bego did a great job on the Mary Wilson My Supremes commemorative magazine. I hope it sells a million copies.

smark21
12-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I think Mary Wilson and Mark Bego should get Penny to spearhead the sales campaign for the magazine. If she can sell the magazine like she does her Avon products, then the magazine should easily sell a million.

jobeterob
12-19-2012, 09:53 PM
I think Mary Wilson and Mark Bego should get Penny to spearhead the sales campaign for the magazine. If she can sell the magazine like she does her Avon products, then the magazine should easily sell a million.

Hell with Penny, Marv1 and Marv2 at it, go for Diananumbers ~ 10 million.

supremester
12-20-2012, 08:29 AM
It's great that, just as Her Most Supreme Highness Diana Ross said 12 years ago, Lynda is keeping the legacy alive - and on a global scale! Especially now that Mary has stated publicly what most of the world has known for years: that singing Supremes songs is not her forte', The Flos are more important than ever keeping the act alive. I am proud of them and of Mary, realizing that she is a great balladeer and not a pop/rock singer. You Go Lynda! Gil told me how much he loved working with Lynda when she was a Supreme - how talented she was, how musical.

The Flos will be at The Razz Room in June - don't miss this special engagement!

luke
12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
It's all over--Barnes and Noble, newstands everywhere...it's about time the Beatles and Beach Boys got some competition!!

marv2
12-20-2012, 11:26 AM
It's all over--Barnes and Noble, newstands everywhere...it's about time the Beatles and Beach Boys got some competition!!

I've seen it many places. I may buy a few more copies myself!

luke
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Marv-look at Reflections album cover in there--center right--is that Flo next to Mary??

supremester
12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
You can never have too many, I always say!

I've seen it many places. I may buy a few more copies myself!

supremester
12-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Like a Supremes rash!

[QUOTE=luke;136620]It's all over--

supremester
12-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I too hope it sells well - Mary deserves it. I just wish she had proofed it so the errors wouldn't be so................erroneous - it cheapens the final product that should be a cherished keepsake for millions of Supremesters worldwide. Now that Mary has officially stated singing leads on Supremes songs isn't her talent, her shows will feature even less of the music we all cleave to our collective, ample bosoms, Lynda, Scherrie and Miss Ross' roles in legacy keeping will be even that much greater. It's a badge they all wear proudly.

rod_rick
12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I too hope it sells well - Mary deserves it. I just wish she had proofed it so the errors wouldn't be so................erroneous - it cheapens the final product that should be a cherished keepsake for millions of Supremesters worldwide. Now that Mary has officially stated singing leads on Supremes songs isn't her talent, her shows will feature even less of the music we all cleave to our collective, ample bosoms, Lynda, Scherrie and Miss Ross' roles in legacy keeping will be even that much greater. It's a badge they all wear proudly.

Supremester you keep harping on Mary siinging lead on the Supremes songs is not her fote respectfully they are not Lynda's and Scherrie's forte either they all do non Supremes songs much better. Will you give it a rest already.
Thanks

supremester
12-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I agree, Marv. We should just dismiss what May wrote on page 61 in Supreme Faith as just [[another) untruth. Clearly lynda gave up her job with Stevie Wonder to sub for Cindy [[who had just announced her retirement from The Supremes to be a housewife) for the frequent flyer miles. Why NOT pester Stevie Wonder, whose career was exploding, to drop everything and write and produce a single for the group she was leaving? If it weren't for Lynda, Jean's swan song wooda been I guess I'll Miss The Man and there wooda been no song to throw whistles into the audience to! God Bless Lynda The Temp!

I wasn't there. I was in Jr. High. Mary was and she says that Lynda was just a temp.

supremester
12-20-2012, 05:22 PM
That's me.

Marv-look at Reflections album cover in there--center right--is that Flo next to Mary??

marv2
12-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Luke, when I get the chance I'll check it out.

marybrewster
01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I have the Soul Magazine June 1972 "An Open Letter To The Newest Supreme" where Mary BEGS the fans to accept new MEMBER Lynda. She's so full of opportunistic memories, or is just habitually untruthful, that she'll say anything that sounds good at the time. I could cite a dozen examples with page numbers if anyone doubts this. Mary doesn't have it easy and I don't blame her for trying to make a buck while she can, but this petty bitchy stuff is not only chipping away at her meager fan base, but harming "the legacy" in epic proportions. She should try burying the hatchet and honoring all Supremes. I'm so glad Miss Ross keeps her distance from this dark light. Mary: CHILL!

And here's a 1974 interview where Mary mentions Lynda as a temporary Supreme. How come fans didn't cry foul back then? Personally, in my opinion, a Supreme is a Supreme. Just adding to the mystery.....

By David Nathan

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists. Kicking off, with the departure of Florence Ballard, then, of course Diana Ross, the group has tried to retain the success formula that once put them way above all their competitors.

But what with these internal changes, the departure of the Holland/Dozier/Holland team and what appears to be some confusion as to which direction the group should head, their success – or at least chart success – has been severly restricted of late. Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean.

"How did we manage to find her? Well, Lamont Dozier heard that we were looking for a new Supreme a few months back and he knew that Sherrie was unhappy being with The Glasshouse so he suggested we might like to get together. She's now been with us for some three months and everything seems to be working out well."

With all these constant changes, I asked Mary if she ever got tired and considered just giving it all up. "No, never!" was her swift and indignant reply. She qualified it further.

"Sure I get tired with all the comings and goings but I'd never consider going solo. The Supremes mean too much to me and to so many people that I wouldn't even dream about just quitting altogether. No, I've never even thought about making it on my own!"

Mary did admit that the group have been going through a pretty rough patch chartwise and she explained: "We were all very disappointed that 'Bad Weather' didn't make it and we really don't know why. I personally thought it had all the right ingredients for a hit but we've been told that one of the problems these days is that unless you're on the charts consistently, a lot of radio stations just won't give you a chance."

"The fact is that we haven't had a big chart record for a long time now so that may have been one of the reasons why no one really got onto that single. But, you know, it's a totally concentrated effort and it really is a matter of coming up with right material at the right time. A lot of hard work goes into coming up with the right record and finding the right producer. Since 'Bad Weather' we haven't recorded anything with anyone but we expect to be starting back into the studios very shortly."

Any suggestion that possibly the girls might be behind the times is almost totally rejected since Mary feels that the public expects certain things from The Supremes and it's very hard for the group to move off into a totally different direction. She concedes that not having had a big hit record may have lost the group some of its followers and she does feel that a big hit would bring a whole new audience to the girls.

"However, we are well aware that there are still many people who have been with us from the beginning and are still with us – and we really appreciate them."

Mary revealed that she doesn't expect The Supremes to undergo many major changes as far as their act is concerned and she says that with the return of Cindy and the arrival of Sherrie, there will be more sharing of the lead singer's task. "Both Sherrie and I will be sharing lead and Cindy will gradually be doing that too. In fact all of us will be doing a little of our own thing in the future on stage."

On a completely personal level, Miss Wilson is no longer Miss Wilson – since she was married several weeks back to a young gentleman she met in Puerto Rico, Mr. Pedro Ferrez. What happened? "We just met and fell in love!" was the straight answer I got to a pretty dumb question! Mary said that she digs being married since "all my friends have got married now – Diana, Cindy and so on. I guess it's about time for me." She intends to start up a family in due course and the girls' future schedule is being planned to ensure that they have sufficient time at home with their families.

On the subject of coming over to this country, Mary said that there had been plans for the girls to make it during April but the energy crisis had put paid to that. "We do expect to get back around September. In the meantime, please say 'hi' to everyone from me, won't you?" No doubt, by the time we see The Supremes again, the new line-up will have established itself and hopefully they'll be returning with a hit record under their collective belts. It's surely only a matter of time before The Supremes are back on the hit track.

milven
01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
And here's a 1974 interview where Mary mentions Lynda as a temporary Supreme. How come fans didn't cry foul back then? Personally, in my opinion, a Supreme is a Supreme. Just adding to the mystery.....

Some fans did cry foul back then. There have always been inconsistencies in Mary's interviews. Thanks to the Internet, you can pull up dozens of interviews where she says something that is convenient at the time , but sounds silly or proven not to be true today.

Even in the interview above , she says that she will never go solo. She says that Cindy is back permanently and yet we know that she was fired by Pedro. She says that Jean just left and does not know the reason why. She knew why. And the fans knew why because people associated with Motown were also members of the fan club. Jean and Lynda did not like the lack of support that the group was getting at Motown and wanted the group to leave. But if they left, the name would stay at Motown. Mary felt naked without the Supreme name and did not want to take the chance. [[ Even today as a soloist, she continues to use the name in her billing) She stayed and Jean and Lynda left. Thankfully, Cindy agreed to come back and at least that gave the group some continuity. Both Lynda and Cindy have come to the rescue of Mary and the Supremes more than once.

The article above says that Mary does not know why Jean left, that Lynda was a temp , that Mary would not go solo and that Cindy is back permanently. Not bashin'. Just sayin'

luke
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I doubt Mary wanted to air the dirty laundry at that time. She wanted to get a new record out and wanted Motown behind it. Not sure what the inconsistency is with Lynda. She filled in for Cindy.[[Cindy has confirmed that). At the time Mary had no plans to go solo.

woodward
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Mary Wilson is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy [[and no one else!) I think she and Mark Bego did a great job on the Mary Wilson My Supremes commemorative magazine. I hope it sells a million copies.

I am pleased to advise that it might be well on its way to selling a million copies. Where I live [[Southern Delaware) both K Mart and the local Wal Mart had in stock over a dozen copies. As of yesterday both stores were totally sold out. Keep in mind that the cover says keep on display until March 4, 2013. I am shocked that it is completely sold out. Maybe there will be a demand reprinting.

paul_nixon
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
OMG I just realised I got a copy of this from New York for theboyatcrosstown and have forgotten to post it to him - if you are reading this John then I promise I'll get it in the post this week.

franjoy56
01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I still believe Mary is the one who has poured more into the Supremes than anyone since Flo and Diana left the group. Yes it is nice Diana does a supremes tribute by singing the songs, but I don't recall ms ross putting any videos up of the 70's Supremes Jean, Mary and Cindy in her shows, and further if this magazine had not come out under Mary's input, do you think, Diana, Lynda, or Scherrie would have done so I think not, but don't get me wrong I love Diana's, Lynda's and Scherrie's music in all its glory.

Jimi LaLumia
01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Diana Ross IS The Supremes...and she's the ONLY person that this statement can truly be said about..read it and weep..

luke
01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
My newstand said it is selling very well and they are almost sold out of it.

franjoy56
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Diana Ross IS The Supremes...and she's the ONLY person that this statement can truly be said about..read it and weep..
Here comes the mud slugging, this post is about Mary Wilson's "My Supremes" magazine not about Diana Ross whose latest stunt is storming out of restaurants because of rules that are not followed, now how is that for being a star supreme.

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Here comes the mud slugging, this post is about Mary Wilson's "My Supremes" magazine not about Diana Ross whose latest stunt is storming out of restaurants because of rules that are not followed, now how is that for being a star supreme.

And instead of ingoring JIimLaLumia you just got down to his level and roll in the mud with him. Really Frances.

Roberta

144man
01-09-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm so fed up with the mudslinging that I've even got me on "Ignore" now!

marybrewster
01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Not once did I ever see this magazine in Minnesota. And honey, I am always at Target and actually made several trips to Barnes and Noble. I'm lucky I bought mine off eBay when I did.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mary Wilson herself said she picked up some copies; don't know if that means she is selling them, but if you haven't gotten one, it might be worth a try to contact her.

reese
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Depending on how the magazine is displayed, it might be hard to see. I've seen it at a couple of stores, and each time it was positioned with other magazines in front of it. The most that could be seen was Mary's forehead.

I saw it because I knew what I was looking for. But it could slip past casual buyers who might actually be interested.

luke
01-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Barnes and Noble has it front and center!

marybrewster
01-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Depending on how the magazine is displayed, it might be hard to see. I've seen it at a couple of stores, and each time it was positioned with other magazines in front of it. The most that could be seen was Mary's forehead.

I saw it because I knew what I was looking for. But it could slip past casual buyers who might actually be interested.

Interesting. One would think I would have spotted Mary's forehead. I'll have to keep looking.

marybrewster
01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm so fed up with the mudslinging that I've even got me on "Ignore" now!

I love the "ignore" feature. Thankfully I don't have to read the bullshite by the number one offender. Sometimes the threads don't make much sense, but when do they ever do, LOL.