PDA

View Full Version : Teen Town - The Motown Story 1965

test

marv2
11-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Here's a great local Detroit- Windsor memory CKLW Channel 9's Teen Town's - The Motown Story special from 1965. Not sure if many here have seen it, but I am certain you've seen clips from it over the years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1RxYKDMIQU

stingbeelee
11-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for putting this up, Marv. It may be the first time I have seen the 1960's Marvelettes talk about themselves and their records. They seem very poised and playful, as they kept on talking while Robin Seymore asked about their record - Shop Around!

marv2
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for putting this up, Marv. It may be the first time I have seen the 1960's Marvelettes talk about themselves and their records. They seem very poised and playful, as they kept on talking while Robin Seymore asked about their record - Shop Around!

Stingbeelee!

It is like time capsule. Although I was a young kid at the time, I can vaguely remember watching this particular show in the afternoon after school. It is chock full of historic moments. Check Robin out at the end when he joined the artists. He was so cool.

MIKEW-UK
11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
All completely new to me Marv......thanks for posting!!!!

marv2
11-29-2012, 09:26 AM
All completely new to me Marv......thanks for posting!!!!

You are welcome Mike! Isn't it great?

westgrandboulevard
11-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks from me too, Marv.

Think I have this somewhere on dvd, coupled with Motortown Review at the Apollo, 1963......??

Yes, it's great - especially to both see and hear The Marvelettes actually speaking.

I love all of them but, even then, Wanda's smile gave her a certain 'something' - and not simply because she was a noticeably different height LOL .

Did you ever see them perform? If so, anything you can share?

marv2
11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks from me too, Marv.

Think I have this somewhere on dvd, coupled with Motortown Review at the Apollo, 1963......??

Yes, it's great - especially to both see and hear The Marvelettes actually speaking.

I love all of them but, even then, Wanda's smile gave her a certain 'something' - and not simply because she was a noticeably different height LOL .

Did you ever see them perform? If so, anything you can share?

Westgrandboulevard, you are welcome. I saw the Marvelettes perform when I was a kid. They performed at City Park, Toledo Ohio in 1966 and their current release at the time was "Don't Mess With Bill". I can't remember all that much other than it was a picnic atmosphere and I was so short that the ladies looked almost like giants to me up on the platform/stage! LOL!

westgrandboulevard
11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Marv

Well, Motown always did want the fans to look up to their acts LOL:)

motony
11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
I saw the Marvelettes LIVE in Oct. 1966 as co-stars of the Otis Redding Show....Gladys, Wanda & Kat tore it up!They came out doin Barefootin & the auditorium went nuts. They all 3 took turns talking between songs. Their set was about 30 min.after Barefootin they did a medley that included Postman, Playboy,Too Many Fish,Someday, Someway then I'll Keep On Holdin On & ended with Don't Mess with Bill.It took about 10 min. afterwards to get the audiance simmered back down for Otis to come out.He did make a statement after his opening song something like "ya'll love them Marvelettes doncha? well I do too."All 3 had great stage personna with genuine smiles & seemed to really enjoy being onstage.

motony
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I forgot to add that my cousins saw the same show in Montgomery, Al. & the Marvelettes did not do Barefootin because Robert Parker[[who had the hit of the song)was on the show.

westgrandboulevard
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Thank you. Great review, motony:)