View Full Version : Bieber Booed at Grey Cup; Gordon Lightfoot Lauded

test

jobeterob
11-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Shades of Whitney Houston...............the booing

By The Canadian Press, cbc.ca, Updated: November-25-12 10:39 PM
Bieber booed, Lightfoot lauded during splashy Grey Cup halftime
Share 7

Justin Bieber faced a hostile homecoming at the 100th Grey Cup on Sunday, with the jeering capacity crowd at the raucous Rogers Centre providing the teen idol with a reception as unyieldingly cold as a long Canadian winter.

The 18-year-old grew up roughly 150 kilometres down the road in Stratford, Ont., but that didn't help his cause with the rowdy crowd on hand, who took aim at the ubiquitous pop star whenever possible.

They booed when his face popped up on the JumboTron. They booed when a host spoke his name at the onset of halftime. And they booed with extra glee as he took the stage and throughout his medley of the finger-snapping, chart-topping hit "Boyfriend" and the disco-inflected club come-on "Beauty and a Beat."

If Bieber was bothered by the boo-birds, it didn't show.

Top newsFloating replica of 'Up' house leads odd news
Ruling in Toronto mayor's conflict case due Monday
Cambridge to study technology’s risk to humans
Police, protesters clash in Egypt
Nineteen bodies found near Mexican border
Best photos of the week
"It's an honour to be here at the Grey Cup in Canada," he said, a smile tugging at his lips despite the reaction.

"Make some noise. I said make some noise!"

Unfortunately, the crowd obliged. More boos.

Still, Bieber was outwardly unruffled. Clad in a black leather tanktop with baggy pants and a gold chain dangling around his neck, he put in a lithe performance, slickly executing his steps surrounded by dancers dressed in black-and-gold letterman jackets branded with his second initial.

As he wrapped up "Beat" — which typically features a verse from rap's reigning oddball queen Nicki Minaj — a dazzling array of pyro popped into the air and at first the crowd responded enthusiastically. But once again, the cheers dissolved into boos.

"Thank you so much Canada," Bieber announced, ignoring the response. "I love you."

If the feeling of this particular crowd wasn't mutual, there were certainly omens. There were those early-game jeers any time Bieber's face popped up onscreen, and as fans poured into the Rogers Centre, few summoned much enthusiasm for the teen idol.

Most figured that while Bieber is a bona fide draw — an international star and tabloid fixture whose latest record "Believe" became his third straight to reach multi-platinum status in Canada after its June release — most of those fans simply weren't at the game.

Surely, the CFL was hoping to court his army of tween followers [[numbering more than 30.6 million), who hang on Bieber's every tweet but might otherwise be unlikely to tune into the Grey Cup game between Toronto and Calgary.

But the divide between Bieber's young, predominantly female fanbase and the CFL faithful is as broad as a lineman's shoulders.

"Not a real big fan of Justin Bieber, sorry," said 52-year-old Johanna Ellis of Kitchener, Ont., as she navigated the Rogers Centre before the game.

"It's not a very good choice in a stadium full of football fans."

Indeed, recent Grey Cup halftime performers have skewed toward the comparatively heavy likes of Bachman & Turner, Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman and Lenny Kravitz, a drastic contrast to Bieber's fizzy pop confections.

"J-Biebs doesn't scream football, you know? Neither does Carly Rae Jepsen," agreed Calgary's Ryan Prisque, 22.

"Gordon Lightfoot — that'll be the time I turn back from the beer gardens and watch."

The 74-year-old Lightfoot certainly did captivate the crowd Sunday. With the stadium lights down, Lightfoot opened the halftime show by materializing on a modest stage near the 50-yard line, dressed in black and strumming an acoustic guitar. The crowd roared.

His long grey hair swept back, the stalwart songwriter — originally from Orillia, Ont. — put in a gentle performance of his iconic 1967 hit "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" that lacked the theatrics of Bieber's performance but nonetheless enthralled the audience, who gamely clapped along. When he was finished, they roared again.

Attention then shifted to set of three stages lined up along one side of the stadium, with a cluster of amped-up fans rushing in and clustering around.

Vancouver pop outfit Marianas Trench was greeted mostly with indifference after their performance, while 27-year-old Jepsen also received a mixed reaction at first but won the crowd over during an enthusiastic medley of her latest single, "This Kiss," and her dangerously infectious smash hit "Call Me Maybe."

But the crowd was seemingly immune to Bieber's charms — and some seemed to have been waiting for the opportunity to show their displeasure with the young star.

He had certainly been visible during Grey Cup week.

Bieber was spotted at a trendy local club on Friday night after being photographed earlier in the evening playing hoops with Toronto rap star Drake and Raptors forward Amir Johnson.

Earlier in the week, he was presented with a Diamond Jubilee Medal by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and courted controversy with his casual wardrobe choice: striped blue overalls [[unbuttoned on one shoulder) over a white T-shirt, accessorized with a backwards black baseball cap and glittering jewelry jangling around his neck and wrist.

There was sufficient uproar over his outfit that Harper even weighed in on Twitter.

"In fairness to [Bieber]," Harper tweeted Sunday, "I told him I would be wearing my overalls too."

Well, the fashion feedback seemed tame compared to the scathing response from the Toronto crowd.

Of course, Bieber — who will return to both the Rogers Centre and his usual bevy of deliriously adoring fans next Saturday — did have faithful supporters sprinkled among the fans crammed into the cavernous building.

"I missed Justin Bieber in Winnipeg ... so this is good for me," said Brittnay Dueck, attending the game with her mom.

"I'm surprised that they chose someone who's a little bit younger. Being 26, I'm OK with it. But I think everyone else who's here might not like it."

StuBass1
11-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Rob old buddy...and the point is???

jobeterob
11-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Rob old buddy...and the point is???

A few points!

1. Wrong crowd.............as in the Supremes at Madison Square Garden.

2. Too hot, too big, over exposure, people get tired of it [[The recent cover of Beiber on Macleans magazine says "I want to be bigger than Michael Jackson). Shades of "I"m bigger than the Beatles! by Whitney Houston.

3. The aging icons are loved and beloved. Lightfoot's voice is shot; I saw him a year ago; the voice is off 50% from his peak; but the crowd didn't care.

Jerry Oz
11-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Am I the only one who imagined chicken wire around the stage and the audience throwing bottles of beer at Bieber, a la "The Blues Brothers"? That crowd just showed up after getting drunk at Bob's Country Bunker. When they get like that, you have to stop with the pop music and start singing country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TI_eiaf1SQ&feature=related

reese
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I feel sorry for the kid. I'm not a fan of his music, but no one deserves to be treated that way.

jobeterob
11-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I feel sorry for the kid. I'm not a fan of his music, but no one deserves to be treated that way.

Prior to his appearance, there was a CBC news report saying the Canadian Football League hired Bieber to appear because the CFL is concerned about its aging demographic and its reduced appeal to the young crowd. Justin's people probably knew what they were getting him into. [[I also read his Manager is hugely followed on Twitter or Facebook, just like a celebrity). Justin was probably very handsomely paid and probably a much younger crowd tuned in to see him on TV.

Nonetheless, the "boos" may have scarred him; they scarred Whitney Houston and Mary Wilson; it's not something you forget especially when you are surrounded by "yesmen" and "fawners" like Justin will be.

StuBass1
11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Tell the kid to get over it and remind him that Roger Whittaker would have gotten booed a lot worse at a halftime Super Bowl performance.

marv2
11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Prior to his appearance, there was a CBC news report saying the Canadian Football League hired Bieber to appear because the CFL is concerned about its aging demographic and its reduced appeal to the young crowd. Justin's people probably knew what they were getting him into. [[I also read his Manager is hugely followed on Twitter or Facebook, just like a celebrity). Justin was probably very handsomely paid and probably a much younger crowd tuned in to see him on TV.

Nonetheless, the "boos" may have scarred him; they scarred Whitney Houston and Mary Wilson; it's not something you forget especially when you are surrounded by "yesmen" and "fawners" like Justin will be.

You crazy. Mary Wilson is not scarred. She is one tough chick! LOL!

ralpht
11-26-2012, 07:51 PM
When I was a very young musician, just starting out with The Glo-Worms [[I know..I know) we were starting to heat up pretty good for we of such tender years and experience. The best advice I ever got was from my uncle, Leo Territo, a very wise man. He told me that someday we could get booed and accept that it goes with the territory.

Although I can honestly say I never played a gig that the band was booed, but there were gigs where the lack of enthusiasm from the audience, was louder than any booing.

Jerry Oz
11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't know if it's an urban legend, but I long ago heard that Hendrix was booed off the stage by kids waiting for the Monkees to do a gig. There's obviously no accounting for taste.

smark21
11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Justin Bieber, whose main following is pre teen girls, was the wrong choice for the Grey Cup halftime show. Surely the Grey Cup could have found a younger act that would appeal to football fans. Though it’s interesting that the one thing Bieber’s show got some cheers on, the pyro, shows that the football fans could have been easily pleased. But Bieber and his “music” have too much baggage for such a crowd, given his teenybopper material.

smark21
11-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Back in October, I went to see New Order in concert. Their opening act was terrible. A few people in the audience taunted them with “you suck” early on, but by the end of their set, the audience was just silent and unresponsive. I never seen a band look so defeated as they close the set and then get their equipment off stage in preparation for the main event.

Jerry Oz
11-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Curiously, Bieber commands top dollar in the industry. The CFL is not exactly raking in cash hand over fist. I'd bet the kid took a discount to do this gig. That'll teach him.

soulster
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Roger Whittaker would have gotten more respect. At least Whittaker sang songs that men could relate to. The little Beiber only appeals to tween girls. Bottom line: it was the wrong forum, the wrong audience.

But, his ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez is HOT!

Doug-Morgan
11-26-2012, 10:48 PM
The show was worse because Calgary was getting their tail handed to them on a platter by the Argos.

I agree with the person who said "It's not a very good choice in a stadium full of football fans." Every so often they make the same mistake at the Super Bowl. It's a rock 'n roll crowd, and Bieber was just the wrong act. Bachman-Turner [[2010) and Nickleback [[2011).....even Blue Rodeo [[2009)...... were much better choices.

StuBass1
11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't know if it's an urban legend, but I long ago heard that Hendrix was booed off the stage by kids waiting for the Monkees to do a gig. There's obviously no accounting for taste.

No urban legend...true story. Hendrix was hired as the opening act for The Monkees first tour. First gig...some booing and definately unappreciated. The little girls in the audience thought he was singing "Foxey DAVIE" [[for Davie Jones), instead of Foxey LADY. Hendrix quit the tour after that first gig. Talk about "horses for courses".

jillfoster
11-26-2012, 11:03 PM
No urban legend...true story. Hendrix was hired as the opening act for The Monkees first tour. First gig...some booing and definately unappreciated. The little girls in the audience thought he was singing "Foxey DAVIE" [[for Davie Jones), instead of Foxey LADY. Hendrix quit the tour after that first gig. Talk about "horses for courses".

Yes, it certainly was true. However, Hendrix' replacement, Lulu... went over much better, and didn't get booed at all. Hendrix was too out there for a teenybopper audience, while Lulu's brand of pop, the kids could enjoy.

marv2
11-27-2012, 08:49 AM
A few points!

1. Wrong crowd.............as in the Supremes at Madison Square Garden.

2. Too hot, too big, over exposure, people get tired of it [[The recent cover of Beiber on Macleans magazine says "I want to be bigger than Michael Jackson). Shades of "I"m bigger than the Beatles! by Whitney Houston.

3. The aging icons are loved and beloved. Lightfoot's voice is shot; I saw him a year ago; the voice is off 50% from his peak; but the crowd didn't care.

Jobeterob, what were your thoughts when Diana Ross was booed off of the stage at the Air Jamaica Jazz Festival in 2008? Weren't there something like 30,000 people booing her until she had to cut her show short and leave? That had to be a miserable experience.

blueskies
11-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Wrong crowd indeed.....like dragging out "Sylvester" for the Super Bowl.

StuBass1
11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Lightfoots good...I saw him in concert at The Greek...lots of memorable songs...but to make things easy...they should just book Rush every year for that event. I'm sure Geddy could come up with the occassional wardrobe malfunction or something.

Doug-Morgan
11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Aw Stu, you made me look at a list of performers at the Grey Cup, and low and behold, in a list that goes back 20 years, Rush isn't on it. The Grey Cup HAS chosen better suited acts than Bieber. In the past, they've had Bachman/Turner, The Guess Who [[yes, with BC), Brian Adams, The Nylons, and Shania Twain.

Watching Randy Bachman dressed up like Nanook Of The North for an outdoor concert in Edmonton in November was a bit of a sight......

marv2
11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Aw Stu, you made me look at a list of performers at the Grey Cup, and low and behold, in a list that goes back 20 years, Rush isn't on it. The Grey Cup HAS chosen better suited acts than Bieber. In the past, they've had Bachman/Turner, The Guess Who [[yes, with BC), Brian Adams, The Nylons, and Shania Twain.

Watching Randy Bachman dressed up like Nanook Of The North for an outdoor concert in Edmonton in November was a bit of a sight......

The Guess Who with Burton Cummings is most appropriate!!!!