PDA

View Full Version : New Motown PBS show on Now-early years

test

luke
11-24-2012, 10:04 PM
2012--Hosted so far by Mary Wilson--live and archival performance. Vandellas auto factory video on now. Channel 13 NY.

luke
11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
I think this show was a bit of a rip off. Alot of previous material used-dont really know if anything was new but they re-packaged it!!

tjl
11-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Sorry to hear Luke - - I thought we were very upfront that the tv show was a "best of" previous offers.

The new part as explained here in my previous posts is the all new 6-CD set.

StuBass1
11-25-2012, 02:51 AM
You're a mensch TJ. Got home tonight and coincidentally one of your "repackaged" Doo Wop shows was on PBS. Enjoying it immensely.

calvin
11-25-2012, 06:57 AM

I guess this 6-cd set will continue to be offered by PBS for some time? And if someone makes the appropriate donation [[$150 I understand, or $250 to get some dvds together with it) can one order it during any PBS show with the pledge drive? I was thinking about having a friend in the US get it for me but as it turns out he's away this weekend. Or will there be another way for UK fans to get it - perhaps amazon later, as with "The Motown Box" some years back?

Also - this set has new stereo mixes, are they also generally extended mixes, as with "The Motown Box"?

milven
11-25-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm watching it now. Great music. Neil Sedaka's comment in the break got to me. He said, "You can't find oldies on the radio..and there are no record stores, so I think its a marvelous service that you're doing on PBS"

Listening to and watching this show makes me happy because it reminds me of the days that I spent walking around with a transistor radio listening to this music and going to record shops and buying it. Neil Sedaka's comment reminded me that, like my youth, those days are gone.

Nice to relive it on shows like this and expose it to the younger generation.

luke
11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
If I erred I apollogize tj -I taped it and will look at it again. All I heard was it was a new show focusing on the early years of Motown. I had read nothing before. I didnt begin to realize it until I saw two of the original Four Tops performing. Of course I still enjoyed it though.

Penny
11-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hear Luke - - I thought we were very upfront that the tv show was a "best of" previous offers.

Mr TJL-

Thank you so much for keeping the music alive! The naysayers are few.

I appreciate your hard work and labor of love. Many, many do and that is why your programs are so successful.

Your friend;
Penny:)

Ngroove
11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Neat program - although seen only parts of it - Theo Peoples definitely was not an original Top - but he sure has the spirit and the SOUL to make three of the ones assumably watching over from above proud.

Hmmm...kinda wondering - why stop the set at 1968?? Was it the peak year of the Detroit years, with Holland-Dozier-Holland at top sound, pre-psychadelic? Just sayin', through 1972 was the classic, golden period of Motown too, with Edwin Starr, Jackson Five, and the Undisputed Truth, Chuck Jackson and Fantastic Four too if digging into rarities.

luke
11-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I was referrring to Duke and another Top--Obie or--just cant remember his name.

Kamasu_Jr
11-26-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm watching it now. Great music. Neil Sedaka's comment in the break got to me. He said, "You can't find oldies on the radio..and there are no record stores, so I think its a marvelous service that you're doing on PBS"

Listening to and watching this show makes me happy because it reminds me of the days that I spent walking around with a transistor radio listening to this music and going to record shops and buying it. Neil Sedaka's comment reminded me that, like my youth, those days are gone.

Nice to relive it on shows like this and expose it to the younger generation.

The comment that got me was the one TJ made about there not being any record stores left to buy records.

msjoys
11-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks, TJ, for being such a visionary!

StuBass1
12-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Have seen parts of the Motown show a couple of times. Have to say, some really good stuff. A lot of people come to me for Motown trivia and info and I noticed some new stuff on this latest program and an interesting presentation...