PDA

View Full Version : THE SUPREMES My World is Empty Without You [[2012 mix)

test

marv2
11-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Sounds so, so good this way. The way it was originally recorded!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBafarkgUSU

franjoy56
11-24-2012, 01:25 AM
I think this version may have scored better on the charts, the original version doesn't sound like a Supremes record, and the reason is obvious.

marv2
11-24-2012, 05:54 AM
I think this version may have scored better on the charts, the original version doesn't sound like a Supremes record, and the reason is obvious.

This one sounds better, much more a group sound.

westgrandboulevard
11-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks Marv for posting this - from the recent 'I Hear A Symphony' set - ?? which I've yet to buy...

Agree with you and franjoy, great to hear it with more of a group sound [[tho' I still hope you feel 'the lead singer' does a great job:))

I'd like to hear 'Love is like an itching in my heart' given the same treatment. Another great backing track that could do with Mary and Florence's vocals brought further forward..

marv2
11-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Diane does a great job, as does Mary and Florence. I prefer to hear the way Mary sings it today.

milven
11-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes, this is from the I Hear A Symphony set which also has a 2012 mix of IHAS with the same results as World.

Does anyone know why the original 45 release had Flo and Mary so muted that it almost sounded like a Diana solo? Makes no sense after hearing this outstanding version.

skooldem1
11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
The original released version is better. In this new mix there are times when the background vocals are annoying and change the whole dynamic of the song. What worked in the original release was that fact that the background vocals were distant. It added to the darkness and loneliness of the songs lyrics.

midnightman
11-24-2012, 12:11 PM
The Motown engineers would've known what sold or not. Most of the Vandellas and Marvelettes tracks were done similar. Even some Temptations/Four Tops records [[because you sometimes hardly heard the other Four Tops above the Andantes). Again it was Motown protocol to do that.

westgrandboulevard
11-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Yes, I would also agree with skooldem1 and midnightman...

To get the message of the song across, the lead vocal has to be clear. I seem to think Quality Control would send a tape back if that wasn't happening?

Diana's vocals on finished product were always crystal clear, but I'd agree there are indeed phrases in the 2012 mix where Mary and Florence's voices do distract and conflict a little with the message from Diana's lead vocal.

I'm no engineer but I'd have placed Mary and Florence's voices with the strings in places, in lots of echo ,while still clearly heard [[as The Andantes were, with the Four Tops) answering the sad call of the lead vocal, from just a slight distance...

But still great to have the opportunity to hear both versions:)

marv2
11-24-2012, 04:05 PM
The 2012 version of " I Hear A Symphony" just rocks so much more with Mary and Florence's vocals turned up. They counter balance Diane's lead very nicely on that one in my opinion. This is again one of those rare instances where a new mix makes the song sound fresh and interesting to listen without damaging the feel of the original version.

R. Mark Desjardins
11-24-2012, 05:49 PM
The 2012 mix of "I Hear A Symphony" is stunning indeed. All points expressed to date on this thread are totally relevant, yet I prefer the "group" feel of the new mix. I agree with westgrandboulevard that hopefully the same remix work on "Live Is Like An Itcjhing In My Heart" will result when an extended version of The Supremes A Go Go album is eventually released.

luke
11-24-2012, 06:11 PM
The original did not do as well as was hoped--public was thrown. Certainly with more of a group sound the public was more familiar with this version could have hit #1. Motown engineers were under Berrys thumb too!

marv2
11-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Here is the 2012 mix of "I Hear A Symphony". I find it exceptional:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9t7IQANYk

westgrandboulevard
11-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Although we may disagree on some points, this thread proves everyone here surely knew a good thing at the time they had their first encounter with Motown records

Fifty or so years later, we're discussing recent remixes of tracks with just the same enthusiasm as when we first heard the original versions.

Now let me see - just who was it said "Motown is forever.." :)

And maybe Mark agrees that the band track for "Love is like..." is one of the most emphatic and dynamic of them all. Much as I enjoy Diana and her lead vocal on that one, but[[and only just my passing opinion) her voice is left seeming a tad thin, trying too hard to sound gritty, without more prominent support from Mary & Florence giving strong unison/harmony work....

rovereab
11-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Conversely, the mono mix of Going Down For The Third Time has Diana's voice too low in the mix. Here's a challenge for Harry and the gang, a new mono mix of this song with Diana's vocals at the "right level", please!

westgrandboulevard
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Again Marv, thanks for posting "I Hear A Symphony" 2012 mix.

Agreed, exceptional. Absolutely love the swirling strings intro, although I could understand it might possibly fit best as an 'album version'. Hmmmm. But, on the other hand....?

'I hear a symphony' made little impact here in the UK when originally released. It certainly might have helped if the girls could have visited to promote it, but I'm not sure if it even made the Top 50.

This version might well have altered that situation. It's just great for those singers among us, who can now sing '"Baby, Baby... stronger than ever, along with Mary & Florence :)

Where did my hairbrush go....

BayouMotownMan
11-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Excellent observation Skooldem, the original mono mix was more dynamic with the organ and bass highlighted, the strings moaning over a strong snare

westgrandboulevard
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Have just checked out The Supremes' wikipedia page, which advises that the photo shown is of the ladies on the Ed Sullivan show, performing 'My World Is Empty Without You', although they're all looking remarkably happy in their loss LOL!

Is anyone here able to post that clip, please?

I'm not so sure I've ever seen it......

smark21
11-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I played the new mix a couple of times to get used to it and be able to make a fair comparison. In the end, the right mix was released back then. With the backgrounds turned up, the song just sounds like an entertaining slice of show biz cheese. The initial mix with the backgrounds as an ambient quality really elevate the artistry of the record. Turned up backgrounds might have worked better if the song was called “My World is Better Without You”, but it doesn’t really work for a song titled “My world is Empty Without You”.

ejluther
11-25-2012, 03:19 PM
The original MWIEWY has a ghostly/haunted quality that the new mix lacks but they are both terrific in their own ways...

I can't find that video on line, westgrand, but it's a wonderful version even if it is energetic and fun - here's another live version, though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNmm6kpscI
And here's Scherrie singing it, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeX_QEeT8k

tmd
11-25-2012, 03:46 PM
One of the signature bass playing songs by the great JJ, pretty much missing in this version. The original ranks as one of the best songs of all time. I agree the original was very haunting.

westgrandboulevard
11-25-2012, 04:18 PM
ejluther

Very many thanks for the clips, which contrast interestingly with each other.

The original Supremes give the song the big band treatment while, in the process, losing all the desolate quality of the recording......

And Scherrie gives it even more drama, desperation and anger than was there before...

Thanks for sharing!:)

marv2
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
ejluther

Very many thanks for the clips, which contrast interestingly with each other.

The original Supremes give the song the big band treatment while, in the process, losing all the desolate quality of the recording......

And Scherrie gives it even more drama, desperation and anger than was there before...

Thanks for sharing!:)

I like the original version and this new mix. I liked how Jean Terrell handled the song and love the way Mary Wilson sings it today. I never particularly cared for Scherrie's overly dramatic ,slowed down version of the song for some reason. It just sounds like an entirely different song and loses most of it's appeal for me. Scherrie is a great singer, just not on this one in my opinion.

Methuselah2
11-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks so much, Marv, for posting this great 2012 mix of MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU. I just love how it sounds. The heightening of Flo and Mary's voices really make a WORLD of difference--real intensity, more immediacy than the version released in 1965 [[which is still a terrific work in its own right).

Here's an interesting version created via tech-manipulation: A re-imagining of a Diana/Mary/Flo "reunion" version. A real curiosity piece worth checking out if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwkIh6cY7k

mowest
11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I like the original version and this new mix. I liked how Jean Terrell handled the song and love the way Mary Wilson sings it today. I never particularly cared for Scherrie's overly dramatic ,slowed down version of the song for some reason. It just sounds like an entirely different song and loses most of it's appeal for me. Scherrie is a great singer, just not on this one in my opinion.

Here's Scherrie singing the tune to the original Supremes' backing track. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cts_QjWQX6I

marv2
11-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Here's Scherrie singing the tune to the original Supremes' backing track. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cts_QjWQX6I

Now I like that much better than the way she's sang it for years. Only thing, she should have brought out her "Soul" voice for this one. Scherrie knows how to get down when she wants to, she knows that but sometimes she just plays with a song and it frustrates me. LOL!

marv2
11-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks so much, Marv, for posting this great 2012 mix of MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU. I just love how it sounds. The heightening of Flo and Mary's voices really make a WORLD of difference--real intensity, more immediacy than the version released in 1965 [[which is still a terrific work in its own right).

Here's an interesting version created via tech-manipulation: A re-imagining of a Diana/Mary/Flo "reunion" version. A real curiosity piece worth checking out if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwkIh6cY7k

All this just serves as further proof that Mary, Diane and Flo were a very unique combination and are truly "the Supremes". As a unit they were unsurpassable.

Methuselah2
11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Lots of references in this thread to LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART.

Well, the love bug done bit me, too. So, here's the sensational remix that keeps me tossin', keeps me turnin'. A non-stop, superb piece of work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2WxSIL7RRQ

marv2
11-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Lots of references in this thread to LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART.

Well, the love bug done bit me, too. So, here's the sensational remix that keeps me tossin', keeps me turnin'. A non-stop, superb piece of work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2WxSIL7RRQ

"Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" was insanely before it's time! LOL! I don't know what was possesing HDH, The Supremes and the Funk Brothers that day in the studio, but that record could have easily come out 10 or more years later during the Disco age and filled every floor across America! It was too funky for 1965-66. Listen to that track......