PDA

View Full Version : Lenny Kravitz cast as Marvin Gaye

test

skooldem1
11-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Lenny Kravitz cast as Marvin Gaye in upcoming biopic

Rock star Lenny Kravitz has been rapidly building up his filmography with high-profile supporting turns in 2009′s Precious and this year’s The Hunger Games. Yet his next major role may propel him to the next level as an actor.

The singer has been cast as the legendary Marvin Gaye in an upcoming biopic according to London’s Evening Standard.

The film, which is slated to be directed by acclaimed British filmmaker Julian Temple, is supposed to focus on Gaye’s late career when he lived in the United Kingdom and was battling financial difficulty and alcoholism.

Marvin Gaye biopics have been rumored for years, with actors as diverse as Jesse L. Martin and rapper Common expressing interest in the lead role. However, none of these projects appear to have advanced past the stages of early development.

No title or start date for the Temple-Kravitz film has been announced yet.

http://thegrio.com/2012/11/20/lenny-kravitz-cast-as-marvin-gaye-in-upcoming-biopic/

milven
11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
These projects are announced every few years , but then nothing ever happens. Last year, there was a play at the Chicago Black Ensamble Theater that got good reviews. I was hoping that it would tour so that I could see it, but it didn't.

I've always envisioned Usher or John Legend in the Marvin Gaye role, but I don't think Legend is an actor.

soulster
11-21-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd rather see a movie focusing on all of his life.

reese
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
It sounds as if it will be a very depressing film. From most accounts, Marvin was truly lost during that period. I gather there won't be much music as well, except for maybe material from IN OUR LIFETIME and MIDNIGHT LOVE.

midnightman
11-22-2012, 02:37 AM
They should just give up biopics and let Zeola release her documentary for chrissakes... this film ain't gonna fly no ways.

soulster
11-22-2012, 12:25 PM
There are hushed intimate details of the last weeks and months of his life that are horrible. It will be interesting to see just how much of it makes it to the final cut.

arrr&bee
11-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I can't remember what kraviz looks like,does he resemble marvin? I would prefer usher in the role.

soulster
11-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I can't remember what kraviz looks like,does he resemble marvin? I would prefer usher in the role.
He was in the movie "The Hunger Games". I think he could do it:5639

midnightman
11-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Lenny could match his beard if not much else. :) Plus Marvin was like 6'1 and I think Lenny is about five inches shorter lol

splanky
11-24-2012, 07:45 AM
I've never been one to shy away from the most explicit details about the demons in any of my favorite artist's lives whether it be Miles Davis, Jackie Wilson or James Brown but no, I don't think
I'll be rushing out to see this film if it sees finish. I already know Marvin's last years were not pretty
ones. I already know about his struggles with drugs and alcohol, I'm reminded of it everytime I listen
to his gorgeous and painful account of his woes in Sad Tomorrows, the alternate take of Flyin High
In The Friendly Sky. The direction of this film sounds like just a rehash of Marvin's decline. I'd rather
see more of a focus on Marvin's talent and genuis. Especially at this time and obviously aimed at this generation. All young people know about many of our iconic artist is their slips and falls, run ins
with the police or neighboring communities, and failed or hidden relationships....

Roberta75
11-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I think Mr Kravitz is a wonderful choice to play Motown legend Mr Marvin Gaye. Lenny Kravitz is a real handsome singer who is a great choice and i am looking forward to seeing this Marvin Gaye movie on the screen.

Have a blessed Sunday one and all.

Roberta

midnightman
11-26-2012, 03:04 PM
I predict by this month next year, we won't hear no more news of a Marvin film. :)

LOL

marv2
11-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Here's a rare pic of Marvin at the Grammy's in 1983 with Mary Wilson and Lionel Ritchie:

marv2
11-27-2012, 07:54 PM

I don't think he looks like Marvin Gaye at all.

jillfoster
11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't think he looks like Marvin Gaye at all.

I don't either... but Usher looks too baby faced or whatever... Lenny Kravitz has that "Sexiness" that the role requires.

marv2
11-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't either... but Usher looks too baby faced or whatever... Lenny Kravitz has that "Sexiness" that the role requires.

But can Lenny act? This is a very important role. The portrayal of perhaps the most complex dude in the history of Rock and Roll!

midnightman
11-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Here's a rare pic of Marvin at the Grammy's in 1983 with Mary Wilson and Lionel Ritchie:

Can't see it man...

phil
11-28-2012, 06:33 AM
I predict by this month next year, we won't hear no more news of a Marvin film. :)

LOL

I think you're right midnightman. It's the case of most of the biopics that were once announced then disappeared with no trace...

midnightman
11-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I think you're right midnightman. It's the case of most of the biopics that were once announced then disappeared with no trace...

Exactly. In fact I won't believe a film is produced until pictures are posted...