PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston Special - Did Anyone Watch?

test

jobeterob
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
The death of pop star Whitney Houston at the age of 48 in February 2012, left a huge hole in the heart of the music industry – for both Houston’s fans and the pop stars she inspired.

On Friday, Nov. 17, some of the biggest stars Houston inspired took the stage to honor her legacy during “We Will Always Love You: A GRAMMY Salute to Whitney Houston.” The stars involved included Jennifer Hudson, Usher, LL Cool J, Celine Dion and Britney Spears.

View slideshow: We Will Always Love You: A GRAMMY Salute to Whitney Houston
“We celebrate the great life of a beautiful gifted woman, who may be gone, but whose voice will live forever,” Berry told the crowd at the event. “She inspired a generation of little girls and women to believe in their own dreams and to know that they had within themselves the greatest gift of all.”

Hudson kicked off the show with an upbeat, 80s inspired medley of Houston songs, including: “I’m Every Woman,” “How Will I Know” and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.” Usher loaned his vocals to a performance of “I Believe in You and Me” from the soundtrack to The Preacher’s Wife while Dion, who noted that she could never sing like Houston before her performance perfomed “The Greatest Love of All.”

Spears, like Berry, gave testimony to the impact left on their lives by Houston.

“When I was 15, I was in New York City auditioning to try and get my first record deal,” Spears recounted during her testimony. “I sang Whitney’s ‘I Have Nothing’ for the executives at Jive Records and they signed me. So, I guess you could say that Whitney has always been there for me when I needed her.”

Through Houston’s music and voice, she’ll continue to be there for her fans and the musician’s she has inspired for decades to come.

Jerry Oz
11-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I started to watch the show but couldn't finish it. I didn't find the talent as interesting as the honoree. Artist after artist proved what a talent she really was and only reminded me that we lost her years before she died. That's the real tragedy.

reese
11-20-2012, 10:39 PM
I watched it. It was nice that the Grammy people thought to pay tribute to Whitney. As far as the program itself, I'd give it maybe three out of five stars. It zoomed by, and when it was over, I realized there had only been four musical performances in the entire hour. The show didn't really come to life, IMO, until Yolanda Adams and CeCe Winans sang COUNT ON ME, and that was the finale.

jobeterob
11-21-2012, 01:40 AM
I didn't see it but someone on our staff did and they stopped watching it too. They didn't think it came to life.

Kamasu_Jr
11-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I recorded it on m DVR, But have not watched the entire program. I did see Usher and Yolanda Adams and CeCe Winans. It bothered me to see Bobbi Kris and her aunt Pat sitting there in tears. It's only been a few months and Bobbi Kris is still mourning the loss of her mother and if you watch the Houstons' reality show, you know how hard it probably was for them to be there.

reese
11-21-2012, 08:51 AM
I recorded it on m DVR, But have not watched the entire program. I did see Usher and Yolanda Adams and CeCe Winans. It bothered me to see Bobbi Kris and her aunt Pat sitting there in tears. It's only been a few months and Bobbi Kris is still mourning the loss of her mother and if you watch the Houstons' reality show, you know how hard it probably was for them to be there.

The reality show is getting increasingly sad. It was a bad idea to have the family being followed by a camera crew this close to Whitney's passing. It hasn't even been a year yet. And each episode seems to follow the same scenario: Bobbi Kris isn't doing well, and Pat wants to do something about it. But what?

carlo
11-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I watched it and loved it. The showstopping performance was Cece Winans and Yolanda Adams at the end.

Kamasu_Jr
11-21-2012, 04:45 PM
The reality show is getting increasingly sad. It was a bad idea to have the family being followed by a camera crew this close to Whitney's passing. It hasn't even been a year yet. And each episode seems to follow the same scenario: Bobbi Kris isn't doing well, and Pat wants to do something about it. But what?

I agree. That show is depressing, in my opinion.

smark21
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM

The answer to your question is they want to exploit Bobbi Kris’ sad plight.

jobeterob
11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
They are heartless; it's all about jacking up the viewership and making money.