PDA

View Full Version : "Do i love you" on Coronation Street!!!!!!!!!!!

test

Calv1971
11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Nodded off during one of tonight's episodes of Coronation Street to be woke up by Frank Wilson's "Do i love you" playing in The Rovers Return, sounded like they had turned up the jukebox as it was nice and clear!

roger
11-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I've not watched "The Street" in the last year so I missed this, and I didn't realise they had a jukebox in "The Rovers" [[don't think Elsie Tanner would have approved).

Was it the CHRIS CLARK[[E) or FRANK WILSON version that got played?

Roger

Calv1971
11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi Roger
It was the Frank Wilson version.
I think they have had the jukebox in The Rovers for a few months now.
Another classic line from the show awhile ago, Lloyd was taking to Liz MacDonald about Gene Chandler - "Who's she" was the reply!!!!!!!!

soulwally
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes, they're talking about re-stocking the jukey at the mo, so listen out for more soul-related tunes, as Lloyd's current love interest is working behind the bar, and back in the day they were, apparently, clubbers.
I never watch it usually :)

R. Mark Desjardins
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Gotta love those Brits! They always seemed so ahead of the curve. And don't forget the
Beatles and Rolling Stone covers of Motown hits on their very early albums!

robb_k
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Isn't "Coronation Street" about Manchester? If so, how the "Bleep" can they NOT have Northern Soul in their background??? What is The World coming to???

booty
11-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Ena Sharples will be turning in her grave. They got rid of the snug now they're playing music!

robb_k
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM

I've not watched "The Street" in the last year so I missed this, and I didn't realise they had a jukebox in "The Rovers" [[don't think Elsie Tanner would have approved).

Was it the CHRIS CLARK[[E) or FRANK WILSON version that got played?

Roger
Of course, it was Frank Wilson. Too many of the original NS fans [[who'd be watching the show) had retired from the scene before the Chris Clark version was "discovered". Also, many of the casual fans, who just went to venues for a few years would surely know of The Frank Wilson, but would never have heard Chris Clark's version. One is an icon of life in The North during the late 1970s and early 1980s that a significant portion of the people living in Northern England would likely have heard. The other is just a very obscure Soul record that the mainstream population wouldn't know from their own bum.

marv2
11-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Isn't "Coronation Street" about Manchester? If so, how the "Bleep" can they NOT have Northern Soul in their background??? What is The World coming to???

Doug, I thought it was set in Wetherfield a mythical town "near" Manchester? All the same, "Coronation Street" is a great show.

soulwally
11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
It's very 'Manc' though, marv.

Shevencly
11-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Ena Sharples will be turning in her grave. They got rid of the snug now they're playing music!
I can just imagine Ena, Minnie Cauldwell and Martha Longhurst sat in the snug tutting with their arms crossed and glaring at Annie Walker's horrified expression at Billy putting a couple more thrupny bits into the machine for a soul night!

lakedistrictlad1
11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
So that makes twice this year that Frank's 'Do I Love You' has turned up in a British t.v drama. [[The other being Inspector George Gently)

That in itself in AMAZING!!

Not bad for a recording deemed not worth issuing at the time!

masterblaster
11-21-2012, 11:13 AM
The character of Lloyd has featured his northern soul collection in the "street" on several occaisions. This is not suprising as the character is played by Craig Charles who hosts a "Funk & Soul" show on BBC Radio 6 and has always been into the northern soul and motown scene.

robb_k
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
So that makes twice this year that Frank's 'Do I Love You' has turned up in a British t.v drama. [[The other being Inspector George Gently)

That in itself in AMAZING!!

Not bad for a recording deemed not worth issuing at the time!

On the contrary. It's pretty clear that Berry pulled it back because he was worried that it WOULD sell decently, and make Frank decide to go on the road to make appearances to promote his singing career. Gordy thought Wilson would help Motown a LOT more by being a full time producer/songwriter, than by being just another singer in a burgeoning stable.

lakedistrictlad1
11-22-2012, 06:16 AM
On the contrary. It's pretty clear that Berry pulled it back because he was worried that it WOULD sell decently, and make Frank decide to go on the road to make appearances to promote his singing career. Gordy thought Wilson would help Motown a LOT more by being a full time producer/songwriter, than by being just another singer in a burgeoning stable.

Fair enough - but Berry was RIGHT behind making Chris Clark a star - and he still canned her version. So he can't have thought that much of the track.

robb_k
11-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Fair enough - but Berry was RIGHT behind making Chris Clark a star - and he still canned her version. So he can't have thought that much of the track.

You've got a point there. And I agree with him. The songwriting is aimless, and the L.A. session players were not up to The Funk Brothers' standards. The background tracks are messy. And the song is highly overrated due to its rarity. Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good cut, and nice to listen to, and probably would have garnered enough sales to make Frank think twice about dropping his singing career.

If the well-crafted Funk Brothers' played, HDH written, "Whisper You Love Me Boy", couldn't whip up enough sales to make Chris Clark a star, and move her into the top level of Motown artists, the messy "Do I Love You [[Indeed I Do)" wouldn't have done anything to change her career track.

snakepit
11-30-2012, 10:41 AM
The character of Lloyd has featured his northern soul collection in the "street" on several occaisions. This is not suprising as the character is played by Craig Charles who hosts a "Funk & Soul" show on BBC Radio 6 and has always been into the northern soul and motown scene.

yes, the 'street' carried a story line regarding LLoyd's record collection being sold behind his back.............and his quest to find another copy of his 'favourite' "Nothing can stop me" by Gene Chandler.