PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wells - Wall Street Journal Book Review

test

Methuselah2
11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204530504578077082613021270.html

Motown4Ever518
11-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I just ordered the book this week, it is nice to get a point of view from someone outside "our family".

kenneth
11-19-2012, 10:18 PM
What a great review. That should help sell some copies! I'm really looking forward to reading this.

randy_russi
11-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Right now the best place to buy the book is amazon.com. It's about ten $ in savings.
However, I am not seeing the book in book stores--Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, here
in Florida. I am seeing Bettye LaVette's book, however, which I also bought.
I hope it does well and hope more coverage such as this review.
Happy Holidays to everyone here @ Soulful Detroit I wish the best for each of you,
our favorite artists still with us and their families as well.
Pray for world peace in 2013!

Kamasu_Jr
11-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Good to see the Mary Wells biography getting some attention from a major news source. Personally, I liked it better than some of the autobiographies I've read lately that are filled with stories about sex, arrogance and B.S. I liked how the WSJ reviewer summed up Mary's appeal. She never claimed to have the best voice or to be just as good as Aretha, but her music conveyed sincerity, fun and a simple innocence that appealed to people.

smark21
11-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Good to see the Mary Wells biography getting some attention from a major news source. Personally, I liked it better than some of the autobiographies I've read lately that are filled with stories about sex, arrogance and B.S. I liked how the WSJ reviewer summed up Mary's appeal. She never claimed to have the best voice or to be just as good as Aretha, but her music conveyed sincerity, fun and a simple innocence that appealed to people.

Whose autobiography could you possibly be referring to, lol!

reese
11-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Right now the best place to buy the book is amazon.com. It's about ten $ in savings.
However, I am not seeing the book in book stores--Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, here
in Florida. I am seeing Bettye LaVette's book, however, which I also bought.
I hope it does well and hope more coverage such as this review.
Happy Holidays to everyone here @ Soulful Detroit I wish the best for each of you,
our favorite artists still with us and their families as well.
Pray for world peace in 2013!

So far, I've seen Mary's [[and Bettye's) book at Barnes and Noble's in NYC and Boston. I was glad that I did. There are so few bookstores anymore that I thought I'd have to order it online.

midnightman
11-22-2012, 02:53 AM
Great review. Never knew how really sad and turbulent Mary's life was and sad she lost herself in crack cocaine and heroin addictions. :[[ RIP

Motown4Ever518
12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
In my advancing years I find that I am actually not that interested in who slept with who, and tragic tales of those who could not cope without artificial stimuli. The one thing I got from the book was the interaction between the Hollands and Mr. Dozier give and take regarding song collaboration. Great Stuff! I wish I had seen the Unsung episode since it was referenced a lot, and yes I will be buying Ms. Wells Lost and Found.

Methuselah2
12-07-2012, 07:06 AM
In my advancing years I find that I am actually not that interested in who slept with who, and tragic tales of those who could not cope without artificial stimuli. The one thing I got from the book was the interaction between the Hollands and Mr. Dozier give and take regarding song collaboration. Great Stuff! I wish I had seen the Unsung episode since it was referenced a lot, and yes I will be buying Ms. Wells Lost and Found.

That UNSUNG episode is on YouTube.
It may be available at www.tvone.tv that airs the show.