PDA

View Full Version : A Cellarful Of Motown Volume 4

test

grapevine
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
...now available for pre-order at HMV @ £8.99

http://tinyurl.com/3ax3fya

The Superb 4th Instalment of The Acclaimed Lost & Found Series, featuring 50 Stunning Never Heard Before Motown Treasures from the likes of Stevie Wonder, Brenda Holloway, Marvin Gaye, Edwin Starr, The Spinners Plus Many More. Also included in the 2 disc set is a beautifully designed 20 page booklet with detailed sleeve notes and annotations by Motown connoisseur Paul Nixon plus gorgeous original photos from the Motown photo archive.

With no sign of the goodies drying up in the Motown Vaults, it's with great pleasure, after exhaustive research that we bring you the fourth volume in this stunning series that can proudly boast the release in total of over 200 vaulted examples of Detroit's finest sounds that astonishingly never made it past the recording studio.

Featured are the usual 'out on the floor' thumping Motown scorchers plus newly discovered ballads and sophisticates. Some of the greatest discoveries on this collection include an amazing unheard classic 'Why Don't You Come Home' recorded in 1968 by the young music genius Stevie Wonder. Also featured is an absolute stomper 'Born To Be Bad' from UK Favourite Edwin Starr and possibly the most special discovery of all, an undeniable 1963 classic 'Three Times Loser' by the incredible Marvin Gaye, proving that despite the declaration that just about every vaulted Gaye track has been discovered, the Cellarful series continues to unlock a piece of music history.

Both Brenda Holloway and Barbara McNair close a CD each with examples of how artists explored their repertoire while there are more than enough core Motown floor fillers to excite and seduce the staunchest Motown fan.

This sensational 2 disc set proves that the Quality Control team at Motown potentially missed many great recording that could have become huge hits. The mystery remains as to how these fantastic gems were consigned to the Motown Vaults, but their loss is your gain some 40 years down the road! We defy you to keep your feet still as you listen to these newly restored treasures that have been lovingly rescued thanks to the grace of modern technology.

:)

theboyfromxtown
08-06-2010, 03:16 AM
Grape

Does it say anything about the Temptations track?

grapevine
08-06-2010, 04:16 AM
...it says what it says xtown :)

...here's a reminder of what we have to look forward to...

Disc One

1.01 Kidnapped - The Blackberries
1.02 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love) - The Fantastic Four
1.03 Your Kiss Kiss - Marvin Gaye & Oma Page
1.04 My Baby Moves Me - Brenda Holloway
1.05 Cool Cool Baby - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
1.06 The Girl I've Chosen To Be My Bride - Joe Stubbs
1.07 You Didn't Show Girl - The Temptations
1.08 My Baby Changes Like The Weather - The Vows
1.09 Doctor Of Love - The Monitors
1.10 All I Need Is A Chance - Robert Dobyne
1.11 The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
1.12 Ain't Gonna Tell You - Frank Wilson
1.13 Dancing U.S.A. - The Contours
1.14 That's The Way I See Him - The Marvelettes
1.15 Have A Little Patience [[And Wait) - Mary Wells
1.16 Three Time Loser - Marvin Gaye
1.17 Lead Me And Guide Me - Holland & Dozier
1.18 It's Company Time - The Versatones
1.19 Twin Brother - Eddie Holland
1.20 Think Of The Times - Carolyn Crawford
1.21 You're What's Happening Baby - Four Tops
1.22 I'll Turn To Stone - Dennis Edwards
1.23 I Need You More Now Than Ever - Paul Williams
1.24 Daddy, Cool - Oma Page
1.25 The Real You - Barbara McNair

Disc 2

2.01 Miss Lonely Heart - The Vandellas
2.02 The House That Jack Built - J.J. Barnes
2.03 The Philly Dog - Earl Van Dyke
2.04 Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart [[Since I Met You) - The Utopians
2.05 Only A Lonely Man Would Know - Ivy Jo
2.06 It's Gonna Be Always - Blinky
2.07 Somebody's Waiting For Me - The Contours
2.08 A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
2.09 Don't Let Me Be Lonely - Tammi Terrell
2.10 Why Don't You Come Home - Stevie Wonder
2.11 You Can Do It - The Miracles
2.12 You Gave Me Love To Live For - Debbie Dean
2.13 Head Over Heels In Love With You Baby - The Spinners
2.14 I'd Cry - Chuck Jackson
2.15 In The Summer - The Lollipops
2.16 Just Let Me Thank You For Loving Me - The Originals
2.17 I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again - Dennis Edwards
2.18 Sock It Too 'Um - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
2.19 Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy - The Fantastic Four
2.20 Born To Be Bad - Edwin Starr
2.21 She's All I Need [[In This World) - Marv Johnson
2.22 Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch - Shorty Long
2.23 Hey Girl, Come On Do The Pearl - The Agents
2.24 In The Cool Of The Night - David Ruffin
2.25 Little Miss Loser - Brenda Holloway

dickiemint
08-06-2010, 04:56 AM
I have pre ordered mine with Amazon for £11.99, but if HMV are selling it for £8.99 I will be changing my supplier!
I am really waiting for the Mary Wells and Tammi Terrell tracks, plus the Temps along with their solo efforts.

jaybs
08-06-2010, 06:00 AM
dickiemint, it is £8.99 with Amazon I just checked my order?

dickiemint
08-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Cheers jaybs, I just checked too, apparently I will have the difference refunded to the cheapest price after release, it is a kind of price promise on Amazon!
2 weeks and counting!

jaybs
08-06-2010, 07:42 AM
You Bet! two weeks can't pass soon enough and then the Tammi CD later in the year!

mr soul
08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I've just ordered mine from HMV, I have an interest free [till next March] Amazon card, seemingly I get half as many loyalty points if I use it at Amazon than I do anywhere else, so by using it at HMV I get loyalty points from them & double the Amazon points that I would have got by using it with them, err go figure that.

theboyfromxtown
08-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I buy my cd's with a BT credit card and I get all these points that automatically reduces my BT phone bill.

It's fab.....now I can bore the pants off Paul Nixon AND be happy about paying for it!

motown_david
08-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I pay cash! Is that getting old fashioned now John? [[LOL)

David.

theboyfromxtown
08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Of course it is....I think it says in history books that it originated in the seventies although it has come back into fashion at least three times since then!

You'll have to wait until it comes back into fashion again..

rovereab
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Just ordered my copy - can't wait for it to arrive.

It is interesting that once again the "Tamla Motown" logo is featured on the cover. Does anybody know why this is?

Eamonn

tamla617
08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
i pay for mine with a debit card and then we've got less money to buy food,bargain!......priorities!

danman869
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I had to laugh because I originally ordered it through Amazon UK because I figured the release date in the US might be a month or so later. A week or so ago, I saw on the forum that CFOM4 was now available for pre-order on Amazon US releasing the week after the UK. So I canceled my UK order that would've taken a week to arrive here in California and re-ordered it through Amazon US figuring I'd still get it at about the same time--but with free shipping using my Amazon Prime 2-day delivery. Everything's great, right? Just a couple of days ago, I got a notice from Amazon.com that the US release has been bumped back yet another week making it available 2 weeks after the UK release. Can't win for all the losing! Don't these people know I need my Motown fix?! LOL Four weeks and counting here in the US... ;-)

radionixon
08-11-2010, 07:25 AM
It features the Tamla Motown logo because it's a British release, and that was the logo all Motown releases came out with in Britain in the 60s and 70s, regardless of what label they were originally on in the US - so that's the logo that instantly says "Classic Motown" to British fans.

adrian
08-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Drat!

Just got this in an email from Amazon:-

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item[[s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Various Artists "A Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 4"
Estimated arrival date: September 03 2010 - September 07 2010

:[[

vcq
08-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Yes, ditto:

"Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item[[s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Estimated arrival date: September 08 2010 - September 14 2010"

thommg
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
The question is.... do I just order from Amazon US or do I bite the bullet and take a trip to London and pick it up in person? Ahhhh to be on the horns of a dilemma!

theboyfromxtown
08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Thom

Can you make it early or late September when I'm not on vacation. And can you give me some notice so I can get the vacuum out and try to remember how it works!

elegant_soul
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I'd show you how a vacuum works but I doubt your carpets would get clean! :p

There was just so much one could do with his statement!! :)

theboyfromxtown
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Elegant....now dont put that smiley tongue back in your mouth...you don't know where it's been!

As long as it keeps you happy Elegant....then I'm happy

...and who cares about carpets..bring it on?

drlorne
08-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I can't believe you passed on "on the horns of dilemma", John.

Lorne

theboyfromxtown
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Lorne- Have I? I better ask for a second chance...!

762rob
08-21-2010, 10:36 AM
The question is.... do I just order from Amazon US or do I bite the bullet and take a trip to London and pick it up in person? Ahhhh to be on the horns of a dilemma!

www.amazon.co.uk will do it for you - very fast delivey is my experience.

theboyfromxtown
08-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Rob

I may not be as fast as I used to but I still can give a good delivery...

nevertoolate
08-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Won't touch that one!!..[[Just saw the comment and read between the lines!!):D

snakepit
08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Just l listened to the 29 second samples for all tracks on Amazon
Fantastic set....

Deserves your full support
100% Motown ..some wonderful dancers
Loved to hear The Miracles track....from "Special Occasion" era on first impression...my favourite Smokey period.
Just playing them again....and they sound ten times better than first listen.
HDH track needs explaining...no doubt the liner notes will do so.Assume this to be La Brenda Ben?

Buy it!

snakepit
08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Just l listened to the 29 second samples for all tracks on Amazon
Fantastic set....

Deserves your full support
100% Motown ..some wonderful dancers
Loved to hear The Miracles track....from "Special Occasion" era on first impression...my favourite Smokey period.
Just playing them again....and they sound ten times better than first listen.
HDH track needs explaining...no doubt the liner notes will do so.Assume this to be La Brenda Ben?

Buy it!

Silly Snakepit- didn't see the samples CFOM4 thread!

soulwally
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes Larry, just done the same. By the sounds of it the vast majority are Sixties tracks [[barring the Lollipops, Paul Williams, Blinky, David Ruffin?). Particularly like the Fantastic Four's Keep On Tryin' Til You Find Love [[Dean-Weatherspoon by the sound of it), the Monitors' Doctor Love [[Sandra on lead) and, of course, the Originals' track [[Hank Dixon on lead), the JJ Barnes and the Joe Stubbs tracks.

It's brilliant to hear there was more from Paul Williams besides Feel Like Givin Up and Once You Had A Heart. Wonder if there's more?

snakepit
08-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Soulwally

Agree with your comments....would be nice to sweep up on Paul Williams tracks.
Originals track good...knew you'd like that.
100% Motown stuff here...a better set that I thought we could expect , if I'm being honest.

Monitors, Contours, Fantastic 4
I thought David Ruffin was about "MWWE" or "Feelin' Good" period 69ish? could be wrong
Loved the Miracles as it sound from about 67/8 , which I love with Smokey's stuff from that era.
"I'd cry" by Chuck Jackson wasn't what I was hoping...alas.
Can't wait for this CD

positivesoul
08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Tammi's track sounds AMAZING! The production doesn't sound typical of Fuqua/Bristol or any other Motown regulars to me, based upon the snippet. [[By the way, "Lone, Lonely Town" also sounds almost unique for Motown. Does anyone know its Producers & Writers??)

"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" seems to have a grandness very slightly akin to Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts". The Andantes again sound angelic! Strong, yet Tammi sounds in NO WAY overpowered or challenged. I think, like "All I DO...", this song will add yet another dimension of appreciation for those unaware of the greatness of her solo artistry.

I HAVE to also say that there are MANY cuts that I know are going to become favorites of mine real fast! Somebody's truly doing some things real, real right at Universal. BRAVO!

robb_k
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Yes Larry, just done the same. By the sounds of it the vast majority are Sixties tracks [[barring the Lollipops, Paul Williams, Blinky, David Ruffin?). Particularly like the Fantastic Four's Keep On Tryin' Til You Find Love [[Dean-Weatherspoon by the sound of it), the Monitors' Doctor Love [[Sandra on lead) and, of course, the Originals' track [[Hank Dixon on lead), the JJ Barnes and the Joe Stubbs tracks.

It's brilliant to hear there was more from Paul Williams besides Feel Like Givin Up and Once You Had A Heart. Wonder if there's more? You think that The Lollipops is a '70s track? I had thought that their contract was NEVER Motown's alone, but was shared with Harry Balk [[just as the contract with The Volumes and Detroit Wheels). Balks tenure with Motown was just the latter half of 1968, and into Spring 1969. Although, The Lollipops moving to Gordy may show that Motown signed them after Balk left. The uneleased Lollipops recordings I saw and heard were recorded in 1969. I didn't see anything from the 1970s.

robb_k
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I took the link on the other thread, but still can't find where the listening samples are. Can someone please walk me through that?

snakepit
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
ROB Click on the links to mp3 songs and hit play all songs

paul_nixon
08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
The Lollipops track was recorded in Sept '69

grapevine
08-23-2010, 02:53 PM
...thank you for another fabulous collection Paul ...just got home and had to listen to the samples

http://tinyurl.com/3xs4xhz

...on first play ...CD 1's tracks ...2 ...3 ...4 ...5 ...6 ...8 ...9 ...10 ...19 and 20 ...and CD 2's tracks ...8 ...10 ...11 ...14 ...15 ...21 ...22 ...and 23 ...are those that I liked the most .

..the 3 that stood out IMHO were...

1 / 3 - Your Kiss Kiss ...by Marvin Gaye & Oma Heard
1 / 4 - My Baby Moves Me ...by Brenda Holloway
1 / 10 - All I Need Is A Chance ...by Robert Dobyne ...WHAT A FIND!!!

Another job ...VERY WELL DONE!!!

robb_k
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Yes, thanks, Paul.

But you can't please ALL the people, ALL the time.

I feel that you chose the WRONG version of Eddie Holland's "Twin Brother". The one I have on tape [[and that we considered for the "From The Vaults" LP series) was significantly faster, and more raucus. It is more on the pace of "I'm On The Outside Looking In". Not that the one you picked isn't a good song. Now, I assume we have little chance of that version escaping The Vaults, unless an Eddie Holland anthology is made. There ARE enough cuts for 2 CDs, right???

paul_nixon
08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
There was/is a very good reason for using the alternate version which may/may not become obvious a little later down the line. In the case of JJ Barnes The House That Jack Built the reason is that this is a Motown reworking of a track known up until now as Hole In the Wall.
You are right about there being enough to fill up an anthology.

theboyfromxtown
08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Can you imagine an Eddie Holland set containing all his demos of the songs that went to other artists.

I equate it to having a cd full of stuff of the quality of "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me For A Little While)".

Must be a full moon out there tonight cos it's making my mind dream the impossible!

nabob
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I expect to catch more than my fair share of turbulence for this, but!

Can someone explain the ga-ga phenomena that takes hold when these vault recordings become available? From the few Cellars and all of the Lost & Founds that have been purchased, my opinion is that Quality Control did a great job on 95 percent of what saw the light of day. The items coming from the vaults on the Cellar and L&F packages just don't seem to grab me - maybe about 10 percent of the output. For me these packages are generally like expensive reference books that only get pulled from the shelves for research to enhance knowledge. Part of my problem may be that I have a strong aversion to mono recordings. To me the quality of these finds does not rival the legacy of the known recordings.

I'll be throwing rocks down from the cross where I am surely to be nailed.

pj1
08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Why not just pray for a U.K. Eddie Holland Anthology containing Motown 604 + UA singles+ Motown non-lp single sides and lots of previously unreleased tracks ?

robb_k
08-23-2010, 07:48 PM

There was/is a VERY GOOD REASON for using the alternate version which may/may not become obvious a little later down the line. In the case of JJ Barnes The House That Jack Built the reason is that this is a Motown reworking of a track known up until now as Hole In the Wall.
You are right about there being enough to fill up an anthology.

I'm taking this to imply [[and almost guarantee) that the versions we want WILL be released in the not too distant future. So, I now rest a little easier. Thank you, Sir.

copley
08-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Can someone explain the ga-ga phenomena that takes hold when these vault recordings become available? From the few Cellars and all of the Lost & Founds that have been purchased, my opinion is that Quality Control did a great job on 95 percent of what saw the light of day. The items coming from the vaults on the Cellar and L&F packages just don't seem to grab me - maybe about 10 percent of the output. For me these packages are generally like expensive reference books that only get pulled from the shelves for research to enhance knowledge. Part of my problem may be that I have a strong aversion to mono recordings. To me the quality of these finds does not rival the legacy of the known recordings.

It's different strokes for different folks. I love the COM series and most of what's been released on the L&F series. The poorest of the latter was the Supremes set as I could hear the bottom of the barrel being scraped.

robb_k
08-23-2010, 08:39 PM

I don't agree with your taste. Quality Control had a job to do [[get the best sellers released). My taste [[and that of a lot of other Motown fans) often is different from that of the masses. But, I love The Motown Sound so much, that getting gems like "Crying In The Night" - Monitors, "A Woman Won't Do Right"-Shorty Long, "Tears, Nobody and A Smile"-Serenaders, "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" -Versatones, "Until You Came Along"-Carolyn Crawford, "Suspicion"-Originals, "All I Do"-Tammi Terrell, etc. would be worth it, EVEN if I only liked 10% of the songs. But, I love The Motown sound so much, that even if 50% of what is released on these CDs is not quite as good as Motown's hits, they aren't much lower in quality, so , I still enjoy hearing them. After all, there are no people making 1964 recordings any more. So, this is my chance to hear new music I like. NO ONE is making vocal recordings now that I like to hear. Jazz is the only current medium where new music is made that I enjoy hearing. So, if they release previously unreleased 1946-69 music of the style I like at a decent quality level, I'm very happy. Can you tell me that "Love Woke Me Up This Morning" by Brenda Holloway isn't as good as 95% of what was released on her? "I Should Have Known Better"- Marvelettes? "A Tear From A Woman's Eye"-Temptations? "Any Girl In Love"-Kim Weston. Those are absolute gems, and certainly better than more than half [[if not 2/3) the cuts released on those artists.

You DEFINITELY have a problem liking these CDs if you only like stereo.

nevertoolate
08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
In my case, I got into the Motown Sound hearing the hits...especially the beat..
"Uptight" and "Love is like an itching" grabbed my attention...I thought..wow these
songs have such a STRONG beat..I had been into James Brown and Wilson Pickett [[I
liked the screaming) before..

I then noticed that that type of music had a certain style that set it apart in general
from other labels such as Stax or Atlantic...So I thought ok what other songs does this
company make?...I ended up playing catch up and buying the Motown songs I had missed..along with the ones that came out..[[this was in late 1966)...that I got into
popular music and Motown..

I basically have all the classic Motown records [[originals)...I thought well that is it..

Then the L&Fs and the Cellarfuls started coming out..so it is like buying Motown records all over again...I just LOVE that sound!...In my opinion..the Cellarfuls and L&Fs material

98% would have made good album cuts in the 60s..and some of it equal to the classics
2% maybe I can see why it stayed in the vaults...Hats off to Paul Nixon and all who were involved in these projects..

A friend of mine says All that Motown stuff sounds alike..its boring..I said I like to hear
different combinations of the same sound..I like House Music also, in a way it sounds alike but it dosen't..

snakepit
08-24-2010, 04:45 AM

Nabob,

You are incorrectly assuming that we are saying that CFOM and L&F tracks are BETTER than the cuts chosed by Quality Control, who in the main, picked the best, commercial discs to issue.
But, if you liked a book by a favourite Author, would you not want to read ALL his/her output than continually read the same book over and over again. How would you know what you were missing?

nabob
08-24-2010, 06:28 AM
I've purchased a lot of the collections providing tracks from the vault. The experience is that very few of the tracks have made their way into regular rotation. I am not saying that this is not good music. I'm just saying that very little of it makes me want to do something unnecessary. The comment was mostly directed toward being able to understand the fascination generated when unheard music becomes available.

snakepit
08-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Surely all the records that Quality Control issued was "unheard music" once upon a time?
It just got somebody's vote at the expense of other tunes....like those on CFOM , L&F etc

copley
08-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Remember that because of Bille-Jean Brown & the QC 'Jimmy Mack' lay in the vaults for 3 yrs!!!! As I said it's different strokes for different folks - in other words personal opinion/choice.

ExGuyParis
08-24-2010, 07:31 AM
It's easy to appreciate both sides of this debate [[and easy to see that I'm turning into an old fart, as I think that the not-released Motown stuff exceeds the quality of most of today's music by millions of miles). One earlier Cellar cut could easily have been a big hit, I believe: You've Got to Pay the Price, with the Supremes' version of lyrics tossed on top of the Al Kent song. Or maybe it's just because I adore the Al Kent song. And love Jean Terrell. And appreciate that you can hear the back-up vocals. It's complicated!

144man
08-24-2010, 07:48 AM
It was only the constraints of time that stopped the issue of a lot of these recordings. The market would have been flooded.

snakepit
08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
That's quite correct 144man

It was just not possible to issue all these records.......some were not good enough , for commercial release it's true, but many are just , if not , better, than tracks voted for.
Which brings me to a question I was going to ask.
There must have been layers of "Quality control" before they reached the OFFICIAL meetings.
It would not have been possible for the top table to have listened and evaluated ALL recordings .So there must have been some filtering out at a lower stage.....and with that comes personal taste,friendships, jealousy,envy.............all kinds of factors that affected the potential chances of 100s of cuts.

dickiemint
08-24-2010, 04:03 PM
As a collector, and Massive fan of the Motown Artists and Sound, I am really happy to get these Lost and Found and Cellar Full Discs, along with the Anthologies and even the Spectrum discs, reason being, that as long as there are these Gems sneaking out of the Vaults for the Fans it Keeps the interest alive in Motown and its Legacy, and for the Casual buyers there are always the 'Gold's' greatest Hits and another collection to buy. Since these anthologies have seen the light of day it has brought Brenda, Kim, Velvelettes,Chuck, Mable, Chris Clark over on Tour to the UK, and if it was not for these relases, myself and many others would never have been able to see these legends perform Live, and for that reason I will carry on buying these cd's.

tomato tom
08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
well, I JUST Have to say that I am so grateful that this music is finally, albeit slowly, being made available for all us MOTOWN FANS! MAY IT LONG CONTINUE!! Thanks to Paul Nixon, HW Etal, we should be forever thankful.YES, some of the tracks would never have had a chance of getting past quality control and to the top of the charts, BUT, arent they fantastic, in their own way? I love many other forms of music, including Jazz, Jazz-Funk,Trance, Techno [[DETROIT), Hard House, and other idioms.BUT, give me Wanda, Levi, Martha, Tammi etc etc...and Im in heaven. Mono, Stereo,Quad..who cares? Just give me that Sound of young America....ta..LOL..PAULO XXXXX P.S. Who said Its Whats In the Grooves that Count??

theboyfromxtown
08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
You just did!

grapevine
08-25-2010, 05:07 AM
...HMV just cheered me up...

Your order’s in the post and should be with you soon. If you’ve pre–ordered, we'll aim to get it to you on the day of release [[UK deliveries only).

Qty Format Artist Title Price Estimated Delivery

1 CD VA A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN VOLUME 4 £8.99 2-5 days

midnight johnny
08-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Actually...the original motto on the Gordy label was "It's What's in the Grooves that Count"...BAD grammar! The graphics were changed to correct grammar in 1967.

144man
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Mine's ln the post as well. YIPPEE!!!

GORDY
08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
and only£6 99p on play.com

theboyfromxtown
08-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Gordy

Perish the thought that I'm a tight [[squeak squeak) wad....but I could only find the £8.99 copy.

thommg
08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
On my mp3 player, the Cellarful of Motwn and the Connosieur Series are in rotation all the time. Some of what is released on the COM series are better than some of the albumtracks that were released and I still listen to those. I've even put a few of the songs from COM on compilations for friends and on music cd's for events and they always fit the mood of the party or the event just fine.

And I prefer the unreleased to another hits compilation.

copley
08-26-2010, 03:10 PM
and only£6 99p on play.com

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/16060920/A-Cellarful-Of-Motown-Volume-4/Product.html

It's £8.99 on Play unless you can find a different link!

rovereab
08-27-2010, 09:40 AM
My copy arrived today and I have just started listening to CD1 :)

grapevine
08-27-2010, 04:50 PM
...mine too rovereab ...listening to it right now ...great to hear each song in its entirity ...after only hearing the samples earlier ...loving the Joe Stubbs track as I write ...you open the cd case and are hit with a glorious photo ...that every UK Motown fan will warm to ...the essays and annotations are more thorough than ever ...the pics are exquisite ...the whole production looks classier ...thank you so much ...to Paul Nixon ...Chris Jenner ...and Keith Hughes ...a fantastic job ...amazingly well done!!!

...now to Disc 2

Grape :)

honest man
08-27-2010, 05:27 PM
grapevine and rob who did you order from, i preordered with amazonuk. i am so jealous lol, cheers

snakepit
08-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I've ordered with amazon too....:[[

BUT to ease the pain, I've linked on to the mp3 "play all tracks" on CFOM vol 1.......and it sounds better than ever, not played it for a while.
The quality of these vaulted tunes is remarkably high..

"Lucky Lucky me" indeed!

copley
08-27-2010, 06:45 PM
grapevine and rob who did you order from, i preordered with amazonuk. i am so jealous lol, cheers

HMV. Same price £8.99. They usually manage to get pre-orders delivered by the Sat prior to the Mon release date.

copley
08-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Have just finished playing it so here are my initial thoughts.

In my view COM4 is different from the previous volumes as the tracks & artists chosen don't all have what I think of as having a distinct Motown sound. The compilers have mixed things up a bit and it's worked out for the better. It all begins with the Blackberries 'Kidnapped' which is a real Motown stomper even though it's from the '70's [[I think). As side one progresses it goes through various styles & tempos which kept my interest although there are a couple of tracks which still have to grow on me. Side two is 24ct gold, again with a diverse range of artists and sounds. From Martha Reeves & The Vandellas brash 'Miss Lonely Heart' to Brenda Holloway's sublime 'Little Miss Loser' the quality never drops. Many of the tracks should have been singles and could have been hits. COM4 shows conclusively that Motown was just not always pumping out the same old song, however good it might be.

Picking out favourites is difficult as I have so many but I'll list a few. From side one I think that the big surprises are 'All I Need Is A Chance' - Robert Dobyne, 'Daddy, Cool' - Oma Heard & 'Have A Little Patience [[And Wait) - Mary Wells. Stand outs from side two are 'Only A Lonely Man Would Know' - Ivy Jo Hunter, 'It's Gonna Be Always' - Blinky, 'Don't Let Me Be Lonely' - Tammi Terrell & 'Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch' - Shorty Long.

The liner notes are great & readable without a magnifying glass which is even better. The photos are lovely especially that new one of Blinky. Lastly the two most important words are the final two written in the introduction which are 'so far'!

Grateful thanks to Paul N, Keith, Chris and all those involved in what is probably the most interesting edition of the COM series.

theboyfromxtown
08-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Now Copley. I'm surprised that you never mentioned the Marvelettes.

Was that not one that hit the spot?

jaybs
08-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Even though I ordered the set when it first went online with Amazon UK it is only just showing today ready for shipping can't cancel, but it has been Reduced to £6.99p, take of a £1 for postage and the packing, £5.99 amazing!

copley
08-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Even though I ordered the set when it first went online with Amazon UK it is only just showing today ready for shipping can't cancel, but it has been Reduced to £6.99p, take of a £1 for postage and the packing, £5.99 amazing!

I'm confused. Amazon is showing the price of £8.99 with free p&p. Where do you get the £5.99 from?

tamla617
08-28-2010, 06:35 AM
mines been dispatched from amazon today [[sat).some on motwntreasures already have theirs from hmv,i think.how do they get it quicker?amazons THE force in the market so why cant they get it at least as fast.never mind at least it is coming

vcq
08-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I used to work in a music department...and let me tell you, we would get in SO much trouble for selling things BEFORE the street date [[yep, they track units sold and the date). Must be different rules in the UK to ship an item before it officially hits stores...every time I've preordered from Amazon.com, it ships the day of release, not before.

The overseas rate from Amazon.co.uk is £7.65...not sure where the £5.99 is coming from!

jaybs
08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm confused. Amazon is showing the price of £8.99 with free p&p. Where do you get the £5.99 from?

My copy was mailed today so it may arrive Wednesday? copley I said £6.99 less you mean aftee the approx costs for postage and packaging, when I looked at my order late last night then I saw it had been changed from £8.99 to £6.99 and that' what has gone through, Amazon often update prices.

booty
08-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Mine is on its way from Amazon too - At £6.99

copley
08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Good heavens! Well that is incredible, how do they make any money at that price?

tamla617
08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
i had £2.51 lurking in my amazon account [[left over from a gift certificate),so it turns out i now only pay £4.48.i'd forgotten about the gift cert.and i dont remember ticking anything to use it.
i dont know how anyone makes any money out of this tho'.i love getting it cheap,but the thing is if they cant make much money will they bother to do a com 5?

dickiemint
08-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Mine hasn't dispatched yet, but it is now only £6.99!

marymary
08-28-2010, 07:17 PM
thank you for the head's up about this, I still haven't heard the 3rd one so I better catch up ;)

lester
08-28-2010, 07:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHH3VIwgdKg

Robert Dobyne - All I Need Is A Chance

lester
08-28-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpp8Sq8Aznc

Te Monitors - Doctor Of Love

lester
08-29-2010, 05:50 AM
These two tracks from Cellarful of Motown Volume 4 should get you all moist in anticipation and gagging to hear the other 48 tracks

Doctor of Love by The Monitors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpp8Sq8Aznc

All I Need Is A Chance by Robert Dobyne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHH3VIwgdKg

paul_nixon
08-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Not sure it's a good idea Lester to post them where they can be downloaded

tomato tom
08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone got an actual UK release date yet. My local keeps informing me "Its been put back again, now showing early September."

copley
08-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Anyone got an actual UK release date yet. My local keeps informing me "Its been put back again, now showing early September."

It's released in the UK tomorrow Mon 30th Aug. Most people who pre-ordered it have now received it.

144man
08-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I received mine Friday, but won't have time to play it till tomorrow.

Does anyone agree that the vocalist on I've Got a Right to Cry [[Lead Me and Guide Me) sounds like Gloria Jean Williamson, lead of the Vells?

mowest
08-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Could it be Ann Bogan? The vocalist sounds like her on the Andantes' "Like A Nightmare."

copley
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't have the best hearing but I agree that it doesn't sound like LaBrenda Benn from what little I have of hers.

rovereab
08-30-2010, 07:10 AM
I have now listened to the two CDs couple of times now and must say how impressed I am with overall balance of tracks that cover the different styles and years of Motown. I have to agree with the booklet comment about the Tammi track being a grower - it grew on me after a couple of plays. I suspect Motown might have been trying different styles of songs with her and to my ears she handles them all so brilliantly.

The CD booklet is brilliant too, great information and pictures, so overall a fantastic purchase.

Many thanks to all involved - I guess you must have great fun putting these CDs together!

positivesoul
08-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Not sure it's a good idea Lester to post them where they can be downloaded

Paul I feel your pain! :[[ As badly as I want to hear them all NOW, I definitely hope that no one rushes to post these songs where they can be heard for FREE! They're just coming out, let them at least begin to [[financially) justify all the work that went into their production and release. Especially if we hope for more in the future. Yet another reason that the music industry is in such a sorry state, imho.

paul_nixon
08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks Positive exactly my reasoning - I don't want to be a killjoy but the double CD is so cheap why jeapordize it's sales by bootlegging it - go out and buy it and you might just get another volume - share the tracks around - harm the sales figures and you can say goodbye to anymore

jsmith
08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
...... harm the sales figures and you can say goodbye to anymore ......
well amazon.co.uk are already sold out of copies, so I guess they're doing good business on the CD !!!
I'm getting my copy as a b'day pressie next week [[amazon stock willing) !!!!

davie gordon2
08-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Paul, I don't think you're being a killjoy at all - just being realistic. Nobody's going to get rich off these CD's so I'd say it's nothing less than a duty
for Motown fans to buy the actual cds. Now I don't know exactly how Universal view the Cellarful series - it gets them justifiably good press but
I'm sure the accounts departments wouldn't think twice about pulling the plug on the entire reissue line if they didn't at least break even.

We're talking about CD's where one track is working out at less than 25P a throw. You can't buy a packet of crisps for that. You're also getting
throroughly researched booklets, unseen photos and the thrill of being excited about a new release just like you felt when you were in your teens
and hearing Motown tracks for the first time. I've been collecting for close to 45 years now and it's been a long time since I looked forward with
eager anticipation to a new release - and that's what these are - brand new vintage product. I don't know how you've managed to persuade
Universal to keep the list price of the series so low .. but they're cheap enough that people show buy extra copies to give as presents to
a younger generation that needs educating.

If you want to hear what the tracks sound like there's always the samples at Amazon - personally I've been trying to restrain myself from
listening to them as I want to hear the full tracks on my own stereo system.

I'm not expecting to love every track on COM4 but it doesn't bother me in the slightest - over the years I've spend a fortune on albums that have
a few great tracks. I think we should all be grateful that the COM series even exists - no US label would dream of keeping the unit costs so low
on "product" that's not going to make any dent in the spreadsheets. I've said some harsh things in my time about the major labels but this is
one of the few times I'm happy to see my money going into a corporate maw - because there ARE people in those conglomerates that actually
love the music as much as I do. As I said nobody's going to get rich off the COM series - I don't know if any of the artists are going to see
a cent in royalties but I'll leave that to the accounts departments to figure out. Just get out there and start contributing to keeping the
Velvelettes in lipstick.

Fan the flame.

dba
08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Price 17.99 US, free shipping. Ship time 7 - 10 days.

Good price and I have done very well with them.

dba

positivesoul
08-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Now here's the FAIR way to go. Another preview of Tammi's song. Quite welcomed too!

http://www.we7.com/#/song/Tammi-Terrell/Dont-Let-Me-Be-Lonely-Tonight

tomato tom
08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Got the call this morning that my copy had arrived. Rushed down, got it, and playing it now. Very interesting.

theboyfromxtown
08-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Davie....you be the sensible one!

I'm still awaiting for my copy to arrive.

144man
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
What a great compilation! Thank you Paul and everyone else involved.

For the first time in the series I had an outright favorite track after just one play. For what it's worth my Top Three tracks at the moment are [[1) Blinky: It's Gonna Be Always [[2) Marv Johnson: She's all I need [[In This World) [[3) The Monitors: Doctor of Love. There are several other tracks not far behind. Also I think the best vocal performances are [[a) Male: Edwin Starr on Born to Be Bad; and [[b) Female: Brenda Holloway on Little Miss Loser.

It's nice to see three tracks here composed by the under-rated team of George Gordy and Allen Story. After all these years I'm only just beginning to appreciate their work.

dickiemint
08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Paul and everyone involved in bringing these tracks out of the vaults, Thanks, mine arrived this morning and has not been off the CD player yet, can't pick a favorite yet, but like the Stevie, Fantastic Four and Gladys Knight tracks are stuck in my head, I need to have a few more listens but really enjoying this set.

tamla617
08-31-2010, 07:06 PM
how has the world and his wife got this and i havent???
has any one in the states got it yet? i'm not not sure who on here lives in the uk or the states
i know the bank hols got in the way but i'll be bouncing if i dont see it on my door mat tomorrow!

theboyfromxtown
08-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Tamla617

I'm in the centre of London and I aint got mine either

midnight johnny
08-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Geez....I got mine....and I ain't even close to London.....I'm playing it on my show tonight....listen in....
www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

John

adrian
09-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Not received mine yet but.....

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.
You saved £5.00 with Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee!
The price of the item[[s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.
The following title[[s) decreased in price:
A Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 4
Price on order date: £11.99
Price charged at dispatch: £6.99 Lowest price up to and including release date: £6.99
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: £5.00
£5.00 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

jsmith
09-01-2010, 04:00 AM
At least its back in stock now at amazon UK, so hopefully the daughter will be ordering my copy today.

phil
09-01-2010, 04:09 AM
Just got this mesage from amazon UK :

" Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Estimated arrival date: September 09 2010 - September 13 2010"

Arrghhh !!!

tamla617
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
nothing today!
how does it take from friday to at least tomorrow to get here,or anywhere in great britain.
has anyone got their order from amazon?tomorrow amazon are going to get get a phone call from me.i wont be ordering from them again,unless they are the only ones that have what i want or they are cheaper.
hmv seem to manage ok.

adrian
09-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Not got mine either mate! The status is showing as "Shipped" so it must be on its way! So far I have resisted the temptation to listen to the clips online but .....

tamla617
09-01-2010, 06:44 PM
adrian
i havent listened to the clips either,i wat to hear them in full!be nice wouldnt it?cant wait for the excuses from amazon tomorrow....0800 4961081.

motown_david
09-02-2010, 06:29 AM
As I wrote on another thread my copy arrived from Amazon this morning in a shabby, dirt encrusted package, as if it has been at the bottom of a postman's sack for days. However, the wait is well worth it and I've abandoned all proposed jobs for the day and am wallowing in the music.....

tomato tom
09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Must have played this non stop now. STILL cant name a fav cut. Monitors one minute, Blinky the next, then Stevie. WELL, Ill just have to play the whole damn thing AGAIN. Only one Marvelettes this time [[shame), but love it. Whens Volume 5 due?..Paulo XXXX.P.S. Well done all involved for yet another Stunner!

soulwally
09-03-2010, 04:31 AM
Mine's arrived, from Amazon, in a nice, clean package. I heard the clips, and concentrated on Disc 1 last night.

The Fantastic Four is still, well, fantastic [[and my Dean-Weatherspoon guess from the clips was correct), The Monitors is a cracker [[great lead vocal from Sandra), and Eddie Holland's Twin Brother is fascinating, like Two Lovers but about, well, Two Brothers.

Disc 2 later...

pj1
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I assume that the albums featured on pp. 8 and 20 of the booklet are part of the producer's collection. From the look of the jacket spines, they seem to have been taken from the shelf, played and then returned often. [[He also includes an artist/group's post Motown output within the Motown section as many of us did/do.)
It is a nice, homey touch to see fans or campaign phrases associated with certain fans mentioned in the annotations- and the occasional, subtle slipping in of a word or phrase from an artist's album title in the write-up . Although I do see that Hip-O-Select isn't the only one to need an additional proof-reader.
To me, the Paul Williams track sounds as if it had been written for the Supremes' featuring Mary Wilson on lead. Interestingly, Paul's vocals were recorded on 4 different days. Does this mean that there are alternate versions in the vaults?

honest man
09-03-2010, 03:59 PM
WELL WELL WHAT AN AMAZING COLLECTION, Got to tell you my faves top 10 in cd running order, keep on trying F42 2doctor of love monitors 3 all i need is a chance robert dobyne 4 that's the way marvelettes 5it's company time versatones,[much better than tape version i've had for years]6 i need you now more...paul williams7 it's gonna be blinky8why don't you come home stevie 9 head over heels spinners 10in the summmer lollipops ,ok one more f4 take him back , excellent set thank you to all who contributrd to this project, just keeps getting better, got to say paul williams is my fave track followed by monitors. spinners, stevie, and the 2 f4 tracks, thanks millions, lastly the marvin gaye track three time loser, who else recorded this song, [maybe i have marvin on old tape]any help apreciated, cheers and thank you

pj1
09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm curious.... It has been determined that after the tape logging/library system was established in Detroit, the greater majority of Detroit session dates were written into the logs. Motown's California office did not appear to keep such accurate records in the 60's.
And yet, some of the songs listed as having been recorded in California [['Your Kiss Kiss', 'Little Miss Loser') or Los Angeles [['You Gave Me Love To Live For') state 'recorded before' such and such a date. How was this date arrived at? Is the 'recorded before' date determined by the date Detroit received a finished master sent for consideration for release? Or was a subsequent version, recorded by yet another artist, discovered in the vaults which lists the CFOM4 date as a component in its log? Or was there some other indicator that helped to pinpoint the date listed in COM4?

pj1
09-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Paul or Keith,
Please refresh my memory- The David Ruffin track , 'In The Cool Of The Night' credits Norma Jean Toney as composer. Yet the write-up mentions the song being a "Smokey cool tune". Is there a connection between Norma Jean and Smokey Robinson- or was it just a reference to musical styles?

paul_nixon
09-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Just musical style - sorry my use of the word smokey meant smokin'

pj1
09-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Just musical style - sorry my use of the word smokey meant smokin'

Paul,
Thanks for responding. The capitalization of the 'S' in the word 'Smokey' threw me.
Are you also able to answer my post of 4:11 A.M. ? Thank you most kindly.

pj1
09-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Paul,
I decided to do a small piece of research. Going to The Supremes- ''There's A Place For Us'' cd, sessions for 'Little Miss Loser' show log dates of March 3, 7, 13 and April 15, 1965. Although 7 of the 12 "TAPFU" tracks credit Marc & Hal as producers [[joined by Harvey Fuqua on all but one) and 4 others note the involvement of Mickey Stevenson [[one solo, one with Hank Cosby, and two with Ivy Jo Hunter), the production slot of 'Little Miss Loser' lists only one of its composers, Ron Miller. And Rom was a co-writer of 4 of the songs on the album [[2 produced by the Marc-Hal-Harvey team , and one by Mickey-Ivy Jo)
Brenda's version was recorded several months before, utilizing Marc Gordon & Hal Davis as producers. I wonder why they just didn't produce the Supremes' version of 'LML' themselves?
I always found Ron Miller's comment in J. Randy Taraborrelli's first book on Diana issued in 1985 to be puzzling. " A couple of the songs like 'Big City Babies Don't Cry' and 'Little Miss Loser' were very jazzy; we were just searching for a direction. None of the stuff ever came out. I hope it never does- for her sake as well as mine".
I, for one, am glad it did come out... and feel the same about Brenda's version!

jsmith
09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
In yesterdays Times [[of London) newspaper Playlist magazine supplement ...
..... they have a 'PLAYLISTED' Our Tracks of the Moment 'Top 10' ..........
......................... at No.3 in this Top 10 .............................
............ Gladys Knight & the Pips "The Day You Take One" .........
A gloriously feel-good 'lost' Motown treasure. Just one to be found on 'A Cellarful of Motown'.

............. Can't say fairer than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_postman
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Received mine today. First of all, a mighty thank you to Paul and everyone involved in the project. The series are going strong and the amount of quality music languishing in the vaults should surprise no one any more, still I can't believe most of these things weren't released at the time. I don't want to come off as a critic [[the only one so far?), but after an initial listening round I believe this is the weakest volume so far, albeit slightly. Not because the series has taken an inevitable step away from its Northern Soul-ish origin, because so I have the during the last two years, but because there were very few songs that stood out to me. This has, in other words, not anything to do with the quality of the music, it has to do with my personal tastes and, supposedly, my expectations [[I had literally goosebumps all over during the opening songs that only newly discovered Motown songs can give you). A couple of favorites so far:

- The Lollipops - In The Summer
Who is this girl singing lead? She's absolutely fantastic. "Sweet Sweet Love" from ACoM V3 floored me, and I couldn't stop smiling during this song. A special thanks for including Lollipops in this volume as well. Can't wait to hear more from them!

- The Fantastic Four - Keep On Tryin' [[Til I Find Your Love) & Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy
Five words: Sweet Sweet Sweet James Epps. What a marvelous singer! I don't know how he makes me shiver with his voice everytime I hear it, only that he does. He put so much energy and enthusiasm into the late-1960's Motown recordings and it comes through on these two songs as well.

- Holland & Dozier - Lead Me And Guide Me
Eric [[Silly Wasn't I) have spoken highly of "I've Got A Right To Cry", and it fulfilled all my hopes about it, albeit being just a demo. Great vocal by LaBrenda, and a rocking production from Holland and Dozier, bearing some resemblance to their early work with Martha & The Vandellas among others.

- Joe Stubbs - The Girl I've Chosen To Be My Bride
Can't help loving this song [[figure out that pun if you can!) since Joe is a favorite singer of mine. A solid performance from him here over an interesting backing track. I wouldn't be able to put down George Gordy's production signature on paper if I were asked to, but this one made me interested to learn more. The flute is a nice [[not dated!) touch.

- Dennis Edwards - I'll Turn To Stone
Familiar rocker this one, and although I hold Four Tops version in higher regard Dennis give the Tops' a run for their money. Good vocal from him, production is tight and possibly the most dance-friendly version of them all [[not blaming the Tops', Barbara's and The Supremes' respective versions to be creepers).

robb_k
09-10-2010, 08:30 PM

Mine's arrived, from Amazon, in a nice, clean package. I heard the clips, and concentrated on Disc 1 last night.

The Fantastic Four is still, well, fantastic [[and my Dean-Weatherspoon guess from the clips was correct), The Monitors is a cracker [[great lead vocal from Sandra), and Eddie Holland's Twin Brother is fascinating, like Two Lovers but about, well, Two Brothers.

Disc 2 later...

There's a much better version of that song still in The Vaults. I am told that that other version will be released in the not-too-distant future.

nevertoolate
09-10-2010, 11:26 PM
What surprised me about this set..was it seemed that much of the material sounded like standard R&B sounds of the 60s..
Ex: The Oma Heard song reminded me of "Hypnotized"...they didn't have the Motown "stamp" on them but the melody
was interesting...and the arrangements...[[the Tammi Terrell song grew on me)...The Stevie Wonder song sounded like a song
ahead of its time..like it should have been on the "Key of Life" album...It shocked me that Motown recorded "regular" good
songs without the Motown Sound...

My favorites are: Gladys[[The Day) from disc one..that should have been a single!!,Dr. of love,Daddy Cool..the jr.tracks..Martha,Miracles...that one stood out,Earl Van Dyke...Blinky...my favorite one on the whole set was the one
"Somebody's Waiting for Me " Contours..another one that should have been a single!!...Twin Brother was interesting too..

Thanks to all involved in this project..am enjoying these sets..

paul_nixon
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Depends opon your interpretation of better

There's a much better version of that song still in The Vaults. I am told that that other version will be released in the not-too-distant future.

mrlonleyheart
09-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi all, I´m very late because I had a heavy accident with a tree in the forest. Now my hock is three times broken and I believe I can´t go to work until the end of the year. The broke was very complicated and I had an operation during three hours and now I must be quick before the hurt calls me again to come in the bed.

For me personally this collections have three tracks which describes the cream of the crop. The Tammi Terrell song is very amazing and The Andantes give her the perfect vocal backrounds. The Blinky song is a further milstone because the production is sophisticated for Blinky´s deep soul style. And finally - everyone knows that I think - Oma Heard with Daddy cool. I love to hear when she sings "Daddy cool today I know you lost your favorite fool" I would be so thankful somebody can send me the complete lyrics and then I would like to know who sings the backround vocals, could it be The Temptations ?????????

Thanks very much for every help..........now the hurt calls me, but I´m very thankful for that short visit on the boards .....

mr_postman
09-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Get well soon, mrlonleyheart. I'm sorry about the accident and the pain that has come with it. On the brighter side, perhaps you'll find more time to be with your dearest and [[of course) with your music collection.

mysterysinger
09-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Have to say this is a fantastic series - many thanks to all concerned.

As everyone says, we all have our own taste - usually it takes a few plays for tracks to stand out enough to become firm favourites. Right now, I would have to vote for my top three as:
1) In The Cool Of The Night - David Ruffin [[fantastic sound and vocal)
2) You Didn't Show Girl - The Temptations
3) It's Gonna Be Always - Blinky
But this could all change tomorrow.

Surprise for me is The Vows as the vocal performance is fabulous. The one I'm really struggling with is the Tammi track - I need to persevere on this!

If I was to vote for my favourite track of the whole series, out of the numerous stand out cuts, it would be the Isley Brothers - I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love - just love the vocals on this one. This kinda puts me in my place because even the sleeve notes point to this song not being the best material [[clearly I have to disagree).

Can't wait for volume 5.

mrlonleyheart
09-16-2010, 04:45 AM
In my opinion I hear Diana Ross and The Supremes on the Mary Wells track, can somebody confirmed ?????

paul_nixon
09-16-2010, 01:57 PM
My ears tell me the same

Kamasu_Jr
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Have to say this is a fantastic series - many thanks to all concerned.

As everyone says, we all have our own taste - usually it takes a few plays for tracks to stand out enough to become firm favourites. Right now, I would have to vote for my top three as:
1) In The Cool Of The Night - David Ruffin [[fantastic sound and vocal)
2) You Didn't Show Girl - The Temptations
3) It's Gonna Be Always - Blinky
But this could all change tomorrow.

Surprise for me is The Vows as the vocal performance is fabulous. The one I'm really struggling with is the Tammi track - I need to persevere on this!

If I was to vote for my favourite track of the whole series, out of the numerous stand out cuts, it would be the Isley Brothers - I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love - just love the vocals on this one. This kinda puts me in my place because even the sleeve notes point to this song not being the best material [[clearly I have to disagree).

Can't wait for volume 5.

Gotta agree with you that Vows track is a killer! I don't know why it never got released. It's just as good as the Miracles' version. In fact, the lead singer bests Smokey's interpretation. The Monitors' Doctor of Love track was also good, catchy hook, memorable melody. It reminds all that the Monitors had two lead singers: Sandra & Richard. Sandra Fagin had something special [[star quality). You could not keep your eyes off her when the Monitors performed live.
As I predicted when this was annonced, Cellarful 4 is the best set yet. Good job Paul.

paul_nixon
09-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you young sir and all those who have sent messages of appreciation, I know there have been rublings of dicontent with this 4th volume of the series, mostly on other boards so it's great to have the support for the set on here. Of course they are entitled to their opinion and in all honesty it took me a little while to grow to love a few of the tracks but in the main I am really happy with this set - and it's selling like hot cakes as well - so we must be doing something right.

jsmith
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Don't get too cocky, Mr. Nixon.
I'll have you know that there are only about 47 tracks that I like on this release !!!

sunshineonacloudyday
09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I've only done one quick listen to the set since mine came in, but the ones that jumped out at me are:

Cool Cool Baby-Jr Walker & The All Stars [[how about a Lost & Found on Jr Walker--who do I give my money to?);
Only A Lonely Man Would Know [[this stunning tune has got me going through my collection pulling out more Ivy Jo);
...and I agree with the others re the nice The Monitors', Joe Stubbs, and Gladys Knight selections

I'm glad you included a pretty ballad from one of my favorite MT singers, Brenda Holloway...as a ballad-loving California girl, I've always said I wish I could go back in the various vaults after the Brits have left and pull out the ballads they threw back in : )

bobkayli
09-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Been playing COM4 in the car going to and from the office for a while now.

It really is fantastic having new motown product from the 60s out on the street.

Keep trying to pick favourites but it seems to change depending on what part of the CD is playing at the time.

Love the Vandellas track most of all I think. The Jr Walker tracks take me straight down Mod Street, Hammond organ and Jrs sax, fantastic. The Monitors, Fantastic Four, Detroit Spinners, Blinky, Eddie Holland, Robert Dobyne, the list goes on and on.... Earl van Dyke's Spencer Davis type offering...mmmmm.

I think the cd shows yet again the soul of motown which maybe didn't get a fair chance when the label was looking for commercial high selling product over more gutsy offerings. Forgot to mention Ivy Jo Hunter, Marvin and David Ruffin, more gems.

As a Northern Soulie having spent years rooting around who knows where to find rare and unreleased gems, I'm glad Universal have given the keys to the chocolate box for someone to search out these beauties. Am taking the other 3 COM in the car tomorrow. Hopefully I'll allow myself to get COM4 out of the cd player long enough in the coming days to refresh my memory on these! But it will be a hard job!

shoo-be-doo
09-30-2010, 08:19 AM
I love the Vandellas track too but I wonder why it is credited to 'The Vandellas' rather than 'Martha and the Vandellas', it's clearly Martha on lead.

paul_nixon
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
A typo error unfortunately that did not get picked up in time

dickiemint
10-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I have been looking out in Mojo and Uncut Magazine, but haven't seen any adverts or reviews of this set in the magazines,and I was wondering how this set has faired with sales compared to the other volumes, I can't remember the other sets 'selling out' on pre order!
For the record I think that this volume is only bettered by Volume 1, Thanks to Mr Nixon, all those who continue to seek out the lost recordings and the Artists who put their hearts and Soul into these recordings only for them to lay unheard for 40+ years, sorry it's to too late for some of them to get their dues.