PDA

View Full Version : Destination anywhere-the marvelettes...ann bogan on lead??

test

arrr&bee
11-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I just finished playing this classic and i just realized that wanda isn't on lead,is it ann bogan??

westgrandboulevard
11-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Definitely Wanda:)

BayouMotownMan
11-17-2012, 05:00 PM
That's Wanda

westgrandboulevard
11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
..with the same rhythm track that was used on Marvin Gaye's version of 'Tear it On Down' - but given different lyrics??

robb_k
11-17-2012, 05:50 PM
With all the different tapes found in The Motown vaults, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a take of that song with an Ann Bogan lead. But the commercial release had Wanda on lead.

arrr&bee
11-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Ok gang,but she just sounds different like they took the sweetener out or maybe she had a cold,thanks gang!

kenneth
11-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Wanda had a very flexible voice in that she could sing either in almost an alto register as well as the falsetto we usually identify with her [[such as on the chorus of "Locking Up My Heart"). But I don't think she sounds anything like Ann on "Destination: Anywhere." Ann's voice was deeper, and rougher, more churchy, closer to Gladys' in tone I think, than to Wanda's.

midnight johnny
11-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Wanda....no question.

144man
11-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Listen to the middle eight; that's clearly Wanda.

westgrandboulevard
11-18-2012, 09:48 AM
I always think of Wanda as a great stylist. She'd emphasise syllables, even bark them out - "YESSterdays", and also gave the 'a-e-i-o-u' vowels in the lyrics a distinctive and extended, breathy Southern drawl - "oh, yeeeeeeesssss":)

luke
11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
So true. Great styling -and love her wild falsetto. I wonder if Berry would have pushed her if she was not having problems. And why did he change the final album from a Wanda one to the Marvelettes?

copley
11-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Luke. Because few people new Wanda's name but they had heard of the Marvelettes. BG thought that it was a safer bet, but of course it wasn't!

huntergettingcaptured
11-22-2012, 12:09 AM
I always think of Wanda as a great stylist. She'd emphasise syllables, even bark them out - "YESSterdays", and also gave the 'a-e-i-o-u' vowels in the lyrics a distinctive and extended, breathy Southern drawl - "oh, yeeeeeeesssss":)

I've always tried to put into words what it was that made Wanda's style so distinctive. You nailed it PERFECTLY! In particular, the sound she gave to the vowels as well as that breathy style.

Wanda was incredibly versatile- she could sing it with the breathy sex appeal of Marilyn Monroe or she could take you to the streets and turn you inside out with a true R&B, soul performance.

midnightman
11-22-2012, 02:42 AM
No one can mistake Wanda's voice. That's definitely Wanda.

Motown Eddie
11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
So true. Great styling -and love her wild falsetto. I wonder if Berry would have pushed her if she was not having problems. And why did he change the final album from a Wanda one to the Marvelettes?

Two reasons for making the final album a Marvelettes release; Gordy knew that Wanda Rodgers had been having problems and didn't want to invest in a solo career for her. Also, he must have felt the album would've solo better if it had The Marvelettes name attached to it.

Kamasu_Jr
11-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I've always liked Ann Bogan. Ann was definitely from the church and could have sang lead on Destination... Can't wait for the Love Peace & Happiness CD.

Detroitspride
08-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Wanda! Her voice,phrasing, and delivery are and always will be unique and exclusive to her. I've loved her voice since childhood... .now I'm 60. What does that say for longevity?!!!

robpc77
08-09-2017, 02:19 AM
On the Marvelettes Unsung episode, Nick Ashford said that they wrote Destination for Wanda because they loved her sound.

MOTOWNLYNDA
08-09-2017, 02:48 AM
Wanda had the unique talent of having four voices.
Super High Falsetto:
So Long Baby, Locking Up My Heart, Keep Off No Trespassing
Sweet & Innocent:
Goddess Of Love, Forever
Strong & Soulful:
You're My Remedy, I'll Keep Holding On, Danger: Heartbreak Dead Ahead
Soft & Sexy:
Don't Mess With Bill, The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game & My Baby Must Be A Magician

paul_nixon
08-09-2017, 03:12 AM
With all the different tapes found in The Motown vaults, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a take of that song with an Ann Bogan lead. But the commercial release had Wanda on lead.

There are two leads logged as DA, both are Wanda the first recorded two months prior to the released version.

mr_june
08-09-2017, 10:53 AM
There are two leads logged as DA, both are Wanda the first recorded two months prior to the released version.

Thanks Paul, what is DA?

snakepit
08-09-2017, 11:00 AM
That would be Destination Anywhere ....

RanRan79
08-09-2017, 11:01 AM
This is one of my absolute fav Marvelettes songs. Wanda was a real treasure. I wish she had been able to have a post Marvelettes solo career. She really was that good.

snakepit
08-09-2017, 11:01 AM
..with the same rhythm track that was used on Marvin Gaye's version of 'Tear it On Down' - but given different lyrics??

Really?? Need to check that out...

copley
08-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Other way round. 'Tear It On Down' has the same rhythm track as 'Destination Anywhere' as the latter was recorded first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll4yPqx21NI

reese
08-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Other way round. 'Tear It On Down' has the same rhythm track as 'Destination Anywhere' as the latter was recorded first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll4yPqx21NI

Must admit that this backing track doesn't sound the same as that for DESTINATION: ANYWHERE, at least not to my ears. But it is interesting to hear Marvin's take on this song after so many years of hearing Martha's.

snakepit
08-09-2017, 02:26 PM
How is this in any way the same backing tracks as DA?
Nothing like it...

copley
08-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Listen again Mr L :) It really is and I had never realised that before.

snakepit
08-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Will do...time I gave this game up Mr J 😀

copley
08-09-2017, 03:50 PM
You and me both ;)

snakepit
08-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Sorry but I can't hear the same backing track.
DA track was recorded 7 October 1967, for what it's worth.

paul_nixon
08-10-2017, 03:21 AM
Sorry but I can't hear the same backing track.
DA track was recorded 7 October 1967, for what it's worth.

Interestingly there is paperwork for both songs, DA was recorded on 9th October 67 by the Marvelettes as a demo but on the same day they recorded [[apparently) Tear It On Down also as a demo.
Eventually the released vocal on Destination was recorded in December of that year on the same day as the records show they recorded a lead for Tear It On Down.
As things look if there truly ever was a Marvelettes version of TIOD, MG overdubbed the demo and vocal of Tear It On Down also in December of 67.
Could be the paperwork just doubles up on the Marvelettes and in fact they only recorded the Destination Anywhere version. I wonder

huntergettingcaptured
08-10-2017, 03:27 AM
Wanda had the unique talent of having four voices.
Super High Falsetto:
So Long Baby, Locking Up My Heart, Keep Off No Trespassing
Sweet & Innocent:
Goddess Of Love, Forever
Strong & Soulful:
You're My Remedy, I'll Keep Holding On, Danger: Heartbreak Dead Ahead
Soft & Sexy:
Don't Mess With Bill, The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game & My Baby Must Be A Magician

You NAILED it!! This is the very thing I've always talked about when discussing Wanda's vocal style- she was able to deliver nearly any style and do it in very different ways. I was just never able to divide it up as well as you have.

huntergettingcaptured
08-10-2017, 03:33 AM
Interestingly there is paperwork for both songs, DA was recorded on 9th October 67 by the Marvelettes as a demo but on the same day they recorded [[apparently) Tear It On Down also as a demo.
Eventually the released vocal on Destination was recorded in December of that year on the same day as the records show they recorded a lead for Tear It On Down.
As things look if there truly ever was a Marvelettes version of TIOD, MG overdubbed the demo and vocal of Tear It On Down also in December of 67.
Could be the paperwork just doubles up on the Marvelettes and in fact they only recorded the Destination Anywhere version. I wonder

Now that is very interesting! To think that the Marvelettes have recorded other Ashford And Simpson songs other than Destination: Anywhere. I know about their version of "You Ain't Livin' Until You're Lovin'," which is pure gold, and it would be great to hear what Wanda would have done with "Tear It On Down."

But the one thing I think that is up for debate is that the music track behind Marvin Gaye's "Tear It On Down" is not the exact same music track behind the Marvelettes' "Destination." I can hear where the drumming is similar, in fact, the rhythm and tempo and guitar riffing is similar as well, but this is not the same music track on both songs.

snakepit
08-10-2017, 04:41 AM
That's how I hear it....similar, perhaps recorded within minutes of each other, but a different track.

huntergettingcaptured
08-10-2017, 06:18 PM
That's how I hear it....similar, perhaps recorded within minutes of each other, but a different track.

I hadn't even noticed that until it came up here, so that's pretty cool. I went back to listen, and can totally believe these were recorded in the same session.