PDA

View Full Version : Brown Sugar: Eighty Years of America's Black Female Superstars

test

skooldem1
11-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Great show of the history of Black Divas, Supremes and Diana Ross included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9TIdX3qQtI

Kamasu_Jr
11-11-2012, 09:25 AM
There was a book by Donald Bogle too. The Aspire cable channel has been showing some vintage TV performance footage of Dorothy Dandriddge, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughan and Josephine Baker who are all featured in Brown Sugar. Someone at Aspire should get some classic footage on some of the divas from the Rock 'N' Roll and Soul era and put those on too.

bevrich
11-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. I have all of Donald Bogle's books but I missed this when it appeared on PBS.

FYI
I've lurked on this site for a couple of years but this is my first post.

reese
11-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. I have all of Donald Bogle's books but I missed this when it appeared on PBS.

FYI
I've lurked on this site for a couple of years but this is my first post.

All four BROWN SUGAR episodes are currently on YouTube.

luke
11-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Welcome bevrich!

Shevencly
11-16-2012, 06:13 AM
There was a book by Donald Bogle too. The Aspire cable channel has been showing some vintage TV performance footage of Dorothy Dandriddge, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughan and Josephine Baker who are all featured in Brown Sugar. Someone at Aspire should get some classic footage on some of the divas from the Rock 'N' Roll and Soul era and put those on too.

I read this book back in the early 90s and loved it. A great introduction to the stories of the ladies. I had the tv series too on video. Long gone now, sadly.

bevrich
11-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome bevrich!

Thanks. This is a great site.