PDA

View Full Version : Change Indeed

test

timmyfunk
11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
And so, after the dust has finally settled, our illustrious commander and chief has emerged victorious for a second time. In the face of tea party lunatics, Faux News, widespread voter suppression, the Koch brothers, Donald Chump and bat-shit crazy birthers, Brother Obama remained, in the words of Seinfeld’s George Costanza, master of his domain. Let us hope that the next four years brings valuable prosperity and progress.

AND NOW FOR THE POST ELECTION ANALYSIS:

On my train ride to South Carolina in March of 2010, the train made a lengthy stop in Philadelphia. While there I visited a book store located in train station. I happened to come across a book written by Democratic Party luminary James Carville. The name of the book escapes me for the moment, but it’s basic premise was that if the GOP, fresh from Obama’s first win, continues to operate in the way that it does in terms of its lackluster outreach to people of color, women and the LGBT community, it will continue to lose major elections and will gradually diminish itself into a marginal and, eventually, meaningless fringe party. I initially thought that his assessment was a bit premature and felt that it would be better to wait until the possibility of a second term for Obama before making such a bold statement.
Fast forward to 2012, Obama was swept back into office by a comfortable margin. And the GOP is left to do some further soul searching [[if it even has a soul) as they move at a snails pace to redefine its own future. So the question that can be asked is this:

DID OBAMA KILL THE GOP OR DID THE GOP KILL ITSELF?

So now, let us sit back and watch the tunnel-visioned nay sayers bitch, whine and complain about thangs not going they’re way. Those who stand behind our current commander and chief will continue to look forward, to move forward, to tap into that which makes us better people than we were even four years ago. That mission becomes easier when I wake up in a country where Barack H. Obama is my president.

Jerry Oz
11-09-2012, 01:05 AM
The GOP allowed the Tea Party to do its dirty work in 2009. Every day, another congressman being shouted down and not permitted to speak at his own town hall meeting. Or rallies being held on the steps of the Capitol Building where paranoid and embittered people were screaming obscenities and epithets at the president. Taxed Enough Already, even though taxes were at their lowest level in years. The press was all over it and the Republican Party leaders loved it.

This craziness was enough to get many Tea Baggers voted into the office over the mid-term. When they had their first caucus, almost none of the establishment pols showed up, but it didn't matter. With 50 or so freshman in congress, they could prevent anything from passing and Boehner had to acquiesce to their demands or look as if he had no control over his own party. He knew then that he didn't, but by then it was too late. The lunatic fringe took over and the game had to play itself out, with the end of the game being President Obama's being jettisoned for having the nerve to follow through on his promises.

Fast forward to 2012. It's now fashionable to be, not just conservative, but ultra-conservative. "Now's the time to experience what was only a far-right wet dream for decades. Get rid of the black guy and take back our country. Now, we can enact more tax cuts," they thought. "Now, we can deregulate business. Hah! Now, we can pass laws against abortion, move towards privatizing education, bust some unions, and start kicking some of these illegals out of the country!

"Oops.

"Now, we only have a constituency of white men and plutocrats going against youth, organized labor, minorities, AND women?! What's that add up to? A quick count shows that it's 50 of them for the 48 of us. Not just that, but there are enough of them in enough states that they kicked our asses by more than 120 electoral college votes." And that's what killed them.

They let their tail wag the dog. The Tea Party didn't go away and it didn't help them. They should have sent them the phone number for the Libertarian Party headquarters because they might just have won without that crazy crowd making them all look bad. I always knew that if enough folks vote, the GOP will lose every election; they know it as well, that's why they try to suppress the vote. Turns out they were dangerous enough to enough people, that folks got off of their asses and voted in their [[and the country's) self-interest. And I'm somehow proud of America in spite of the stench of the last three years' obstruction and hate.

Kamasu_Jr
11-09-2012, 01:08 AM
I've heard that a lot this week that the Republican party needs to reach out to more African Americans, more women and more Latino people if it wants to survive. I did wonder how Mitt Romney thought he was going to be elected president when he basically neglected to talk to many black people or to say how he would address our concerns or state why some of us should vote for him. I've also heard a lot of people say the demographics of this country has changed and the GOP doesn't realize this

soulster
11-09-2012, 03:08 AM
As I said in the other thread, now they seem to think that they can win back the White House if they can just get Marco Rubio to run in 2016. They really think that all the Latinos will vote for a Latino no matter what their platform is, and what they say and do. That's just how little they think of them. Oh, and BTW, Mitt Romney is part Mexican.

timmyfunk
11-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the responses, guys. Apologies for the spelling error.

marv2
11-09-2012, 09:30 AM
And so, after the dust has finally settled, our illustrious commander and chief has emerged victorious for a second time. In the face of tea party lunatics, Faux News, widespread voter suppression, the Koch brothers, Donald Chump and bat-shit crazy birthers, Brother Obama remained, in the words of Seinfeld’s George Costanza, master of his domain. Let us hope that the next four years brings valuable prosperity and progress.

Amen Timmy! Say it, say it , say it again! Obama has gone through the fire and come out on the other side still ready to do the business of the people. I support his efforts.

splanky
11-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I was worried for a minute but he pulled through just Ralph said.
BTW, soulster, I believe you're mistaken about Mitt Rom...being born in Mexico doesn't
make him Mexican anymore than a black baby born to a black woman in Seoul becomes
Korean...

soulster
11-09-2012, 11:40 AM
BTW, soulster, I believe you're mistaken about Mitt Rom...being born in Mexico doesn't
make him Mexican anymore than a black baby born to a black woman in Seoul becomes
Korean...I just properly did my research. You're right. I read some incorrect stuff recently. For the record, Romney is NOT part Mexican, but he does have Mexican relatives, partly as a result of his family living in Mexico as Mormon missionaries. I will also state that his father, George Romney, did not believe in the Mormon belief that Blacks are cursed. He did march with the NAACP too. It is not known what Mitt believes.

Off Topic: BTW, Americans of Mexican descent call themselves Mexicans around here. They do not call themselves "Latino" so much. They do not call themselves "Hispanic".

timmyfunk
11-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Korean...

OK, I could be wrong, but I could've sworn that Romney once said that his father was part Mexican. I could easily be wrong though.

soulster
11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
OK, I could be wrong, but I could've sworn that Romney once said that his father was part Mexican. I could easily be wrong though.

And, see, that's what I heard too!

smark21
11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
The Romneys didn’t move to Mexico in the late 19th century to be mormon missionaries, they moved there because to become a state, Utah had to pass a law banning polygamy. That branch of the Romney family at the time opposed the law so they moved to Mexico. Obviously they moved back. From what I’ve read, George Romney was a pretty good man and an effective liberal Republican pro-business Governor of Michigan in the 60’s. I wonder what he would think of what his son did to first become a success in business, then what he did to win the GOP Presidential nomination.

robb_k
11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
When Brigham Young founded the so-called Mormon state, it was within the sovereign territory of Mexico, and did not become part of USA's territory until The Mexican Cession in 1848. Therefore, the leaders of the Romney Family in the late 1800s probably would have been born in Mexican territory [[as Utah was at that time). Therefore, they still would have been recognised as Mexican nationals, and would have been able to settle in any part of Mexico, as a matter of course.

arrr&bee
11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
As for the[tea party]i ask you this...what do you do with used teabags?

soulster
11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
The Romneys didn’t move to Mexico in the late 19th century to be mormon missionaries, they moved there because to become a state, Utah had to pass a law banning polygamy. That branch of the Romney family at the time opposed the law so they moved to Mexico. Obviously they moved back.
I read that too. I wonder what is true. Of course, with Romney, you always wonder what the truth is.

I also read how his father was a liberal, and a good man, and is probably turning over in his grave.

timmyfunk
11-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't think I could make a comprehensive list of why the Romney/Ryan ticket failed They may have had more shortcomings than McCain/Palin.

Speaking of which, I've just seen the HBO movie Game Change for the first time this weekend. Absolute required watching for any political enthusiast.

soulster
11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't think I could make a comprehensive list of why the Romney/Ryan ticket failed They may have had more shortcomings than McCain/Palin.

Speaking of which, I've just seen the HBO movie Game Change for the first time this weekend. Absolute required watching for any political enthusiast.

Is it out on blu-ray yet? I don't have HBO.

timmyfunk
11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Is it out on blu-ray yet? I don't have HBO.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Change-Ed-Harris/dp/B007KAUWO2/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1352809066&sr=1-1&keywords=game+change

jillfoster
11-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Well Soulster, you have been telling us about how fucked up people are in Arizona:

http://gawker.com/5959933/woman-blames-husband-for-obamas-reelection-runs-him-over-with-her-jeep

Damn, what a bunch of nutballs!

timmyfunk
11-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I saw that story. Unreal.

splanky
11-14-2012, 09:47 AM
If anyone thought that the election of Barack Obama brought a lot of closet nutjobs out of
the wood work, wait till you see what the RE-election will do....

timmyfunk
11-14-2012, 09:58 AM
If anyone thought that the election of Barack Obama brought a lot of closet nutjobs out of
the wood work, wait till you see what the RE-election will do....

You're probably right, Splank. But there are two factors that the Obama election/re-election damn near shattered to pieces:

The so-called Bradley effect.

The so-called Southern strategy.

Both operatives are dead and buried.

Jerry Oz
11-14-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm amazed and a little pissed that the Republicans and assorted wingnuts are trying to figure out how to appeal to women and hispanics. No mention of African-Americans and no mention of the fact that they lost by POPULAR vote. If they can secure a larger number of female and hispanic votes, they'll keep backing the bus over us.

By the way, Paul Ryan laid the blame of the defeat on "too many people in urban areas" voting. Not the fact that their message was not received/accepted by 51%+ of the population, but [[I'll say it) too many colored folks running to the election booth.

soulster
11-14-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm amazed and a little pissed that the Republicans and assorted wingnuts are trying to figure out how to appeal to women and hispanics. No mention of African-Americans and no mention of the fact that they lost by POPULAR vote. If they can secure a larger number of female and hispanic votes, they'll keep backing the bus over us.

By the way, Paul Ryan laid the blame of the defeat on "too many people in urban areas" voting. Not the fact that their message was not received/accepted by 51%+ of the population, but [[I'll say it) too many colored folks running to the election booth.

They are genuinely scared of having to change their party. They think the Latinos [[as if they are a monolithic voting bloc) will fall behind them because they are supposedly, at their core, religious conservatives. Women? They think that if they just talk softer, they can win them over. Apparently, they think that the Black American populace is just too small to matter anymore.

Jerry Oz
11-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Not too small to matter anymore. Too black to have ever mattered. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

smark21
11-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Well yesterday Paul Ryan blamed “urban America” for the GOP loss. And today Mitt Romney told his biggest donors Obama won because he gave “gifts” to Blacks, Latinos and young people. So much for these guys practicing what Republicans like to preach: personal responsibility.

Jerry Oz
11-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Well yesterday Paul Ryan blamed “urban America” for the GOP loss. And today Mitt Romney told his biggest donors Obama won because he gave “gifts” to Blacks, Latinos and young people. So much for these guys practicing what Republicans like to preach: personal responsibility.
How about the contradiction of Romney claiming we're all being taxed for ACA but at the same time being given a gift? If you pay for it, it's not a gift. His message was not what the majority of voters wanted to hear and he lost. I praise God that Willard Romney will be a Trivial Pursuit answer in 20 years and the answer will not be "Who was the president after Barack Obama"?

soulster
11-14-2012, 10:09 PM

We are seeing Romney's true colors, just like at that private doner dinner last spring. Racist, sexist asshole.

Jerry Oz
11-14-2012, 10:14 PM
We are seeing Romney's true colors, just like at that private doner dinner last spring. Racist, sexist asshole.
Believe it or not, I got into a poster on another message board last year when he took offense to President Obama's [[correct) assertion that people without hope cling to their religion and their guns. The guy called him an "elitist". Who in the world is more elitist that Romney? I have never heard anyone describe Romney as "elitist".