PDA

View Full Version : Solo Backing Vocals By Ex-Supremes

test

markdtiller
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
For Supremes completists only!:
To add to my other thread re Supremes early backing vocals....
Here is a list of albums [[and some singles) that Supremes have contributed backing vocals, before and after their tenure with Motown. Mary, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye and Sundray [[Technically a FLO but I've added her cos I love her voice!). Does anybody have any more to add??

SOLO SUPREMES BACKING VOCALS

MARY
Scherrie Payne - I’m Not In Love [[82)
Rita Coolidge – Love Lessons [[92)
Brenda Russell – Soul Talkin’ [[94)

CINDY
Margie [[Joseph) & The Formations – Better Get What Goes For You [[65)
634-5789 [[Soulsville, U.S.A.) – Wilson Pickett w/Patti LaBelle & The Bluebells [[66)
Scherrie Payne – One Night Only [[84)

JEAN
Ronnie Laws – Every Generation [[79)
Les McCann – Talk Dark & Handsome [[79) w/Lynda
Rockie Robbins – You And Me [[80) w/Lynda

LYNDA
The Rolling Stones – Tumbling Dice [[69)
Stevie Wonder – Signed Sealed Delivered [[70)
Syreeta – Syreeta [[72)
Ringo Starr – Goodnight, Vienna [[75)
Lon & Derrek Van Eaton – What Do You Out Do [[75)
Eric Mercury – Eric Mercury [[75)
Bobby Womack – I Don’t Know What The World is Coming To [[75) w/Sundray
Stevie Wonder – The Secret Life Of Plants [[76) w/Sundray
Geoff Muldaur – Motion [[76)
Nilsson – That’s The Way It Is [[76) includes duet
Wilton Place Street Band – Disco Lucy/Baby Love, Sweet Sweet Love [[77) w/Sundray
Cerrone – Supernature [[77) w/Sundray
Stephen Sinclair _ A+ [[77) w/Sundray
Jack Ashford – Hotel Sheet [[77) w/Sundray
Musique – Keep On Jumpin’ [[78)
Joe Farrell – Night Dancing [[78)
Les McCann – Talk Dark & Handsome [[79) w/Jean
Rockie Robbins – You And Me [[80) w/Jean
Mary Wells – In And Out Of Love [[80)
Rockie Robbins – You And Me [[80) w/Jean
Bill Hancock – Lite Me Up [[81) w/Scherrie
Aretha Franklin – Love Hurt All The Way [[81)
Bill Medley - Right Here And Now [[82) w/Scherrie
Oingo Boingo – Dead Man’s Party [[90) w/Sundray
Marvin Gaye – Sweet Thing [[90) w/Scherrie
Brenda Holloway – All It Takes [[91)
Frankie Gaye – My Brother [[91)
Mable John – Time Stops [[91)

SCHERRIE
Freda Payne - Band Of Gold [[70)
Bob Seger – Back In ’72 [[72)
Freda Payne – Supernatural High [[78)
Late At Night – Billy Preston [[79)
Patti LaBelle - It's All Right With Me [[79)
The Brothers Johnson – Light Up The Night [[80) w/Susaye
Martha Reeves - Skating In The Streets [[80)
Perry & Sanlin – For Those Who Love [[80)
Jose Feliciano - Jose Feliciano [[81)
Noel Pointer – Calling [[81) duet
Angela Bofill – Something About You [[81)
Herbie Hancock – Lite Me Up [[81) w/Lynda
Bill Medley - Right Here And Now [[82) w/Lynda
James Ingram – It’s Your Night [[83) w/Susaye
Hiroshima - East [[89)
Hiroko – One In A Million [[89)
Motorcity Reunion V/A – The Present [[97)
Chuck Jackson & Vermettya Royster – Relight My Fire [[89)
Mary Wilson – Ooooh Child [[89)
Freda Payne – Band Of Gold [[90) Motorcity re-recording
Marvin Gaye – Sweet Thing [[90) w/Lynda
Chris Clark - From Head To Toe [[91) Motorcity re-recording
George Pettus – This Is Your Night [[91)
Freda Payne – Live [[91)
Freda Payne – Christmas With Freda & Friends [[96)
Bikram Choudhury - Bikram's Lounge [[03) some lead vocals w/Freda
Pattie Brooks - After Dark [[06)
Pattie Brooks - It's All About The Music [[11)
Cliff Richard – Soulicious [[11) w/Joyce

SUSAYE
Harry Belafonte – Streets I Have Walked [[63)
The Rolling Stones – Exile On Main Street [[72)
Blue Mitchell – Vital Blue [[74)
Vernon Burch – I’ll Be Your Sunshine [[75)
Stevie Wonder – Songs In The Key Of Life [[76)
Vernon Burch – When I Get Back Home [[77)
Brenda Russell - Brenda Russell [[78)
Stevie Wonder – Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants [[79)
Stevie Wonder – Hotter Than July [[80)
The Brothers Johnson – Light Up The Night [[80) w/Scherrie
James Ingram – It’s Your Night [[83) w/Scherrie
Stevie Wonder & Dionne Warwick – Woman In Red [[84)
Roger Smith – Both Sides [[99)

SUNDRAY
Bobby Womack – I Don’t Know What The World is Coming To [[75) w/Lynda
Stevie Wonder – The Secret Life Of Plants [[76) w/Lynda
Gavin Christopher - Gavin Christopher [[76)
Lee Garrett – Heat For The Feets [[76)
Melissa Manchester – Help Is On The Way [[76)
Wilton Place Street Band – Disco Lucy/Baby Love, Sweet Sweet Love [[77) w/Lynda
Cerrone – Supernature [[77) w/Lynda
Stephen Sinclair _ A+ [[77) w/Lynda
Jack Ashford – Hotel Sheet [[77) w/Sundray
Bill Medley - Right Here And Now [[82) w/Lynda
Oingo Boingo – Dead Man’s Party [[90) w/Lynda
Beth Sherburn – At Last [[04)

bradsupremes
11-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I know Scherrie sang background on Freda's hit "Band Of Gold" along with the Vincent sisters and Telma Hopkins. I'm sure she contributed to many other Hot Wax/Invictus recordings.

marv2
11-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah, Diana Ross - We Are The World [[85)

smark21
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Since Sundray is listed, what about Freddie Poole backing vocal credits?

marv2
11-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Then we must also include all of Mary's former background singers like Damia Satterfield and Iris Parker.

thommg
11-05-2012, 10:06 PM
For Supremes completists only!:
To add to my other thread re Supremes early backing vocals....
Here is a list of albums [[and some singles) that Supremes have contributed backing vocals, before and after their tenure with Motown. Mary, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye and Sundray [[Technically a FLO but I've added her cos I love her voice!). Does anybody have any more to add??

MARY
Scherrie Payne - I’m Not In Love [[82)
Rita Coolidge – Love Lessons [[92)
Brenda Russell – Soul Talkin’ [[94)

Mary was also on Paul Jabara's last album - De La Noche: The True Story - A Poperetta [[1986). I think she is on the song "Mama's Fever".

marybrewster
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM

MARY
Neil Sedaka - Come See About Me [[83)

marybrewster
11-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Mary was also on Paul Jabara's last album - De La Noche: The True Story - A Poperetta [[1986). I think she is on the song "Mama's Fever".

Or was it "This Girl's Back"?

thommg
11-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Or was it "This Girl's Back"?

Could have been. I don't have the album at hand and it wasn't ever released on cd. In fact, I don't think it was widely distributed at the time. I found a promo copy in a used record shop.

tamlaUK
11-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Cindy also provided guest vocals for the Supreme Event with John Kydd's "Up the Ladder to The Roof"

Scherrie provided guest and backing vocals for Bikram Chodry's album 2Bickram's Lounge"

blueskies
11-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Scherrie and Lynda were also on John Kydd's "Up the Ladder"....

marv2
11-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Cindy Birdsong is one of the backing vocalists on Wilson Pickett's classic hit "634-5789"

ivyfield
11-06-2012, 06:27 PM
- and don't forget Shantel & Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaren.

blueskies
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
- and don't forget Shantel & Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaren.

Weren't they on everything that's EVER been recorded known to mankind?

marybrewster
11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Scherrie and Lynda were also on John Kydd's "Up the Ladder"....

I thought it was just Cindy and Scherrie, with another woman, Jayne Edwards?

blueskies
11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't have the album anymore, but, I remember it stated Lynda was not able to show up for the photo session. She was on this recording. Jayne Edwards was the other lady. Anyone out there know anything about her? And, for years I've been trying to find out who John Kydd was and where is he now?
http://s.discogss.com/image/R-1069005-1189732028.jpeg

blueskies
11-07-2012, 12:27 PM
http://s.discogss.com/image/R-1069005-1189732037.jpeg

Kamasu_Jr
11-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Lynda, Scherrie & Sundray sing backup on [[I think) two songs on Mel Carter In Hollywood or "Live In Hollywood." It was released in the 1990s. He introduces them as "The Supremes." I think they are in the Mel Carter DVD but I don't remember any good shots of them.

I think Scherrie also sang background vocals on the Columbia album Marilyn & Billy and make me a Supremes completist? And didn't she also sing behind Chuck Cissel and Rockie Robbins [[or was that someone else?) Damn, just because I knew that does that make me a Supremes completist? S---!

marv2
11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Lynda Laurence sang back up for James Brown in his live act for a time in the early 80's.

blueskies
11-07-2012, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nT4WeZ0gas

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Yes you may be right, she is of course have lead vocals on "This Girl's Back In Town" with Pattie Brooks and Diva Gray. Donna Summer is also somewhere in the mix.

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I didn't know that - she never mentions it - but I'm only including recorded performances. I know she backed Joe Cocker for quite a few years.

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nT4WeZ0gas

Yes thank you, I know about "Up The Ladder" with John Kydd, but these are lead/featured vocals.

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I thought it was just Cindy and Scherrie, with another woman, Jayne Edwards?
Lynda is on there too, she's just not on the picture sleeve for some reason, that's Jayne Edwards. Never figured out when she was a Bluebell. Anyone now?

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Cindy also provided guest vocals for the Supreme Event with John Kydd's "Up the Ladder to The Roof"

Scherrie provided guest and backing vocals for Bikram Chodry's album 2Bickram's Lounge"

Yes with Freda, forgot that one as some are b/vs. Will add!

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Re: Freda's original "Band Of Gold". Yes I have heard that, I just hadn't been able to confirm it.

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 06:53 PM

MARY
Neil Sedaka - Come See About Me [[83)

Sure but that's really a duet.

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Since Sundray is listed, what about Freddie Poole backing vocal credits?
I don't know any of Freddi[[e)'s credits, apart from Wild Honey. I don't think she's done much recorded work. She said she was on Aretha's gospel album.
As for Joyce her and Pam's credits would be gargantuan.
I think we can forget Mary's backing vocalists - apart from the wonderful Gloria Scott. I can tell you that Kaaren Ragland was on one track on the 1994 Herbie Hancock album, "Dis Is Da Drum".

blueskies
11-07-2012, 07:00 PM
This was the only music I could find from the LP. John's on there, too. Actually, on some of the other cuts, he's the main singer with backup by the ladies.

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Lynda, Scherrie & Sundray sing backup on [[I think) two songs on Mel Carter In Hollywood or "Live In Hollywood." It was released in the 1990s. He introduces them as "The Supremes." I think they are in the Mel Carter DVD but I don't remember any good shots of them.

I think Scherrie also sang background vocals on the Columbia album Marilyn & Billy and make me a Supremes completist? And didn't she also sing behind Chuck Cissel and Rockie Robbins [[or was that someone else?) Damn, just because I knew that does that make me a Supremes completist? S---!

I have the Rockie Robbins listed, do you know any more about the Chuck Cissel? I believe he made two: "Just For You" [[79) and "If I Had The Chance" [[82). There are b/v credits for "If I Had The Chance" on discogs so it must be "Just For You" . I have the tracks they do on Mel Carter live album, but technically that's as a group. Didn't know about "Marilyn & Billy" [[79). Do you have the album? Yes, that makes you a completist!

markdtiller
11-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all your contributions. Keep 'em comin'!

robb_k
11-08-2012, 04:57 AM
It might be possible that Mary and/or Scherrie were used by us at Airwave Records during 1980-84 [[other than Mary's already-listed backing of Scherrie on "I'm Not In Love"). They may have both backed Mel Carter in "Love Test" [[uncredited on the record), or Freddie Gorman on one or two cuts. It seems to me that we used them for backing more than once.

marv2
11-08-2012, 05:27 AM
I have the Rockie Robbins listed, do you know any more about the Chuck Cissel? I believe he made two: "Just For You" [[79) and "If I Had The Chance" [[82). There are b/v credits for "If I Had The Chance" on discogs so it must be "Just For You" . I have the tracks they do on Mel Carter live album, but technically that's as a group. Didn't know about "Marilyn & Billy" [[79). Do you have the album? Yes, that makes you a completist!

Jean Terrell and Linda Laurence sang back up on Rockie Robbin's 1980 single "You & Me" which was a hit in Detroit. I do not believe any of them sang with Chuck Cissel who was most famous for the dance track " Cisselin' Hot" in '79.

marybrewster
11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Sure but that's really a duet.

Interesting that you consider it a duet; isn't she singing the same parts she sang on the original, behind Diana? I don't recall her having any lead parts in the song which would make it a duet.

luke
11-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Lynda Laurence was a bluebelle?? blueskies lolol per Shantel... Why is Sundray/ Cindy S here--she was never a Supreme. History gonna get all distorted. Next thing u know Shantel will b a vandella too or a shantarelle!!

blueskies
11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I think they meant Jayne Edwards was a Bluebelle....who sang on John Kydd's "Up The Ladder" with Cindy, Lynda and Scherrie....maybe Shantel was on that, too?

markdtiller
11-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Interesting that you consider it a duet; isn't she singing the same parts she sang on the original, behind Diana? I don't recall her having any lead parts in the song which would make it a duet.
OK well not technically a duet, but very prominent backing vocals, she is credited on the album's song listing credits. She also has a featured vocal on a Joe Dolce Christmas album, a Australian Italian who had a dreadful novelty UK No 1 with "Shuddupa Ya Face". It never gets mentioned, which is understandable if you ever heard it.

rod_rick
11-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Mary you are right, but she Mary also is upfront on the tag [[end or outro) of the song that could be considered a duet.

Kamasu_Jr
11-08-2012, 04:16 PM
I think Scherrie Payne was on Sisseling or Cisseling Hot, but I'm not certain as the album is in storage. Don't quote me as stating it as fact. Do your own research. And wasn't Scherrie Payne on Shine On Silver Moon by Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr? We have those records in our library for some reason AND not because they were hits.

franjoy56
11-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I think Scherrie Payne was on Sisseling or Cisseling Hot, but I'm not certain as the album is in storage. Don't quote me as stating it as fact. Do your own research. And wasn't Scherrie Payne on Shine On Silver Moon by Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr? We have those records in our library for some reason AND not because they were hits.

Did Diana and Flo ever do backing vocals seperately on any of the old Mary Wells Mable John or Marvin Gaye tracks. I know on Your a Wonderful One, & You Lost The Sweetest Boy it says the Supremes.

luke
11-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Yes blueskies I do believe Shantel and the Andantes were on that too as well as Pat Lewis and the Vincent sisters. It was a crowded studio.

blueskies
11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Yes blueskies I do believe Shantel and the Andantes were on that too as well as Pat Lewis and the Vincent sisters. It was a crowded studio.

Yes.....and I think the Blossoms were there, too! Crowded indeed.... they had to extend the recording studio into the PARKING LOT...which made Shantel feel right at home!

luke
11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
LMAO. We forgot the Blackberries and the Waters, and someone told me the Sweets dropped in too.

blueskies
11-09-2012, 07:59 PM
LMAO. We forgot the Blackberries and the Waters, and someone told me the Sweets dropped in too.
Oh yes.....and if my ears don't betray me....the SOS's are there, too!

marv2
11-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on some of those records.

luke
11-09-2012, 08:06 PM
ROFL--and blue you are on it! And do I hear Ms Royster's growl??

Roberta75
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Did Diana and Flo ever do backing vocals seperately on any of the old Mary Wells Mable John or Marvin Gaye tracks. I know on Your a Wonderful One, & You Lost The Sweetest Boy it says the Supremes.

Frances do you know if Flo every did any background vocals after leaving the Supremes and before departing for her final home with her her Heavenly Father?

I've never heard of her singing much after leaving the Supremes so I thought I'd ask you.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

luke
11-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Blue-I do believe I read something awhile ago that solved the whole John Kydd mystery--I believe he was/is a DJ and it explained about Jayne --cant remember it all though. I think she was some singer hangin around or something. I dont believe she was ever a bluebelle. Only Sundray was briefly after Cindy left.

greg jones
11-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Scherrie and Freda Payne share leads with Phillip Ingram and Donny Osmond on L. A. Street Scene [[It's A Jubilee) on Private I Records in 1984.

markdtiller
11-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Scherrie and Freda Payne share leads with Phillip Ingram and Donny Osmond on L. A. Street Scene [[It's A Jubilee) on Private I Records in 1984.
Yes, I know about that one but it's leads not b/vs - perhaps I should do another of lead vocals?

greg jones
11-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes, though when Phillip and Donny are singing lead, Freda and Scherrie are doing background vocals!

markdtiller
11-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Blue-I do believe I read something awhile ago that solved the whole John Kydd mystery--I believe he was/is a DJ and it explained about Jayne --cant remember it all though. I think she was some singer hangin around or something. I dont believe she was ever a bluebelle. Only Sundray was briefly after Cindy left.
Yes, I have only ever heard of Sundray being a BlueBell replacing Cindy for a while [[touring only, no recordings, much like she did with The Three Degrees) not anybody else. Jayne made some solo records. However I just found an old thread by producer Rick Gianatos, which explains it all:
http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/134367.html?1167940004
Here's the relevant post:
Jayne Edwards did a nice version for me which I made the B-Side of her Profile hit “I Got It.” The additional “verse” referred to above was actually Jayne’s creative ad libs in the vamp. She was a helluva soul singer. Unfortunately, I have lost touch with her. She was out in LA for all our recordings and touring, but a few years back moved back to Chicago.

Jayne was a member of Chicago girl group The Starlets. They were asked by a producer to record for him prior to their current record contract expiring. They recorded “I Sold my Heart to the Junkman.” The producer got antsy and put it out after getting such strong positive feedback. Since The Starlets were still tied up, he released it as The Bluebells [not Bluebelles]. When the song climbed the charts, he found Pattie Labelle and company to tour. He re-released THE SAME recording as Pattie Labelle & The Bluebelles [now with the extra “e”]. The B side on the original and the re-release was “Itty Bitty Twist,” cowritten by Jayne under her real last name, “Hall.”

Pattie eventually re-recorded “Junkman” for the album.

P.S. On a side note, I wonder which singer holds the record for being in the most girl groups, possibly Sundray:
Ordettes, BlueBelles [[replacing Cindy), Third Generation [[Stevie's first backing group) Three Degrees, Ernie Terrell & The Heavyweights [[replacing Jean), FLOS [[replacing Jean), also was a "Marvelette" for Gladys Horton.

markdtiller
11-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I have discovered two B/V credits by Freddi[[e) Pool[[e)!

FREDDIE
Aalon - Cream City [[77)
Giants - Giants [[78)

johnny_raven
11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Cream City? Gross ...

blueskies
11-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks Luke and Mark for the info. Is John Kydd still around?
http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/3969.html?1055678888
Apparently, this topic came up many years ago here.

marv2
11-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes, I have only ever heard of Sundray being a BlueBell replacing Cindy for a while [[touring only, no recordings, much like she did with The Three Degrees) not anybody else. Jayne made some solo records. However I just found an old thread by producer Rick Gianatos, which explains it all:
http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/134367.html?1167940004
Here's the relevant post:
Jayne Edwards did a nice version for me which I made the B-Side of her Profile hit “I Got It.” The additional “verse” referred to above was actually Jayne’s creative ad libs in the vamp. She was a helluva soul singer. Unfortunately, I have lost touch with her. She was out in LA for all our recordings and touring, but a few years back moved back to Chicago.

Jayne was a member of Chicago girl group The Starlets. They were asked by a producer to record for him prior to their current record contract expiring. They recorded “I Sold my Heart to the Junkman.” The producer got antsy and put it out after getting such strong positive feedback. Since The Starlets were still tied up, he released it as The Bluebells [not Bluebelles]. When the song climbed the charts, he found Pattie Labelle and company to tour. He re-released THE SAME recording as Pattie Labelle & The Bluebelles [now with the extra “e”]. The B side on the original and the re-release was “Itty Bitty Twist,” cowritten by Jayne under her real last name, “Hall.”

Pattie eventually re-recorded “Junkman” for the album.

P.S. On a side note, I wonder which singer holds the record for being in the most girl groups, possibly Sundray:
Ordettes, BlueBelles [[replacing Cindy), Third Generation [[Stevie's first backing group) Three Degrees, Ernie Terrell & The Heavyweights [[replacing Jean), FLOS [[replacing Jean), also was a "Marvelette" for Gladys Horton.

Mark, regarding Jayne Edwards and the Starlettes you have most of the story right. However, it was not because of the Starlets being tied up as the reason that prevented them from touring in the support of the single. It was because one of the girls in the Starlets killed her husband. That is what prevented them from touring making an opening for Patti & the Bluebelles.

markdtiller
11-11-2012, 06:26 AM
OMG I never knew that story! - was it in Patti's book?

marv2
11-11-2012, 06:52 AM
OMG I never knew that story! - was it in Patti's book?

Nona Hendryx spoke about it in an inteview some time back.