PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Greatest Hits & Rare Classics

test

thommg
11-04-2012, 10:53 PM
After moving, I am finally putting my cd's on shelves. I wondered if there were any hidden gems on the Greatest Hits & Rare Classics for Kim Weston & Brenda Holloway. Seems like every collection on these ladies includes the hits and a different lineup of other recordings and I just wondered if anyone had any info to impart on these collections.
Thanks, Thom

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
11-05-2012, 11:36 PM
The Kim Weston CD has 7 songs [[besides the Marvin Gaye duets) that are not on her 2-CD Motown Anthology:

Do Like I Do
It Should Have Been Me
A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Everyday)
Feel Alright Tonight
I'll Never See My Love Again
Don't Compare Me With Her
Go Ahead And Laugh

calvin
11-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Just to add to Buttered Popcorn's post above - 6 of those 7 songs are in the Motown Complete Singles set [[I can't say if they are exactly the same mixes, eg mono vs stereo). The one that isn't is Do Like I Do, which was first released as a single in the UK in 1975. I see in DFTMC that the version of Do Like I Do on this cd is a different mix from the 1975 single release.

roger
11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
And adding further to buttered-popcorn and so forth's post, if I recall correctly, the versions used of "A Little More Love" differ between the two KIM WESTON sets.

Roger

thommg
11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
The Kim Weston CD has 7 songs [[besides the Marvin Gaye duets) that are not on her 2-CD Motown Anthology:

Do Like I Do
It Should Have Been Me
A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Everyday)
Feel Alright Tonight
I'll Never See My Love Again
Don't Compare Me With Her
Go Ahead And Laugh

I thought I would be able to get rid of the Greatest Hits & Rare Classics cd but discovered that there are song on it that don't appear elsewhere. Does anyone know if any of the hit songs have different mixes on that collection? I know George Solomon has talked about how he got a few surprises on the 70's Supremes cd and wondered if he planted anything on this one.

RossHolloway
11-06-2012, 12:05 PM
There was a thread about this very topic within the past two weeks, and George Solomon responded to some of your questions. Definitely worth seeking out and reading.

carole cucumber
11-06-2012, 12:37 PM
http://soulfuldetroit.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by rovereab http://soulfuldetroit.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?p=75443#post75443)
There is a different mix of What Good Am I with Marvin on the Greatest Hits & Rare Classic album - it has handclaps.

The hand clap mix appears on Greatest Hits and Rare Classics. The Brits can correct me on this, but I believe the original Take Two issued by Spectrum on CD had the hand claps and pre-dated the GH&RC CD. This was out of print by the time I discovered it in the late 1990s. Fortunately, Spectrum was good enough to reissue a Take Two, Plus in 2007. The hand clap mix is replaced by the original LP mix.

carole cucumber
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
The expanded version of "Helpless" is also on 20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection by KimWeston.
It was also on the PBS version of The Motown Box.

Motown4Ever518
11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
When the GH&RC sets came out in the early 1990s life was good, we had the hits deluxe. When the 2 CD anthologies came out in the mid 2000s lifer got better, the hits, rarities, and unreleased, now in the past year or so, every a and b sided single sets are available. As much as I would like to streamline my collection, every disc is special to me because going back to before the GH & RC all we had were the Greatest Hits over and over again. My point being that I am holding on to my GH& RC because at the time I didn't think things could ever get better than that series. When you have material not available anywhere else that is icing on the cake.