PDA

View Full Version : Tammi Terrell - AFTER UnSung

test

positivesoul
09-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Well I've been digesting Tammi's UnSung documentary for a minute now. I've written so often about the effects of her talent on me that I didn't feel like redundantly expressing myself just yet on my feelings. At one point I had composed a heartfelt observation on the board, then hit some wierd key on my laptop keyboard and wiped it all away. I wasn't entirely sorry.

Now I've spent time reading the reactions of so many others on many, many websites. Although slightly emotionally spent hearing details of Tammi's travails, this was not unexpected. I'm just so happy for her and her legacy that people are hearing her story in so many ways these days! AND they're being exposed to more of her hard-earned rare talent. I think this would make her VERY happy so I'm thrilled.

I posted a semi-anonymous comment on the UnSung message board. People are knocked out by the episode and by the ultimate Knockout, Tammi Terrell. I decided to include it here as well.

I am fortunate to have had brief, but meaningful interactions with Ms. Terrell. Even with all of the badness and sadness that I wish I could have shielded this true Queen from, I am still bursting with joy as I read all of the loving and respectful comments here and on other sites regarding this UnSung Episode of Episodes. It wasn't perfect, but it definitely deserves an Emmy.

There was SO much to Ms. TT -a truly deep artistic soul of the highest magnitude. She was a victim of much, but she cannot be defined as a Victim. Tammi was a Dreamer who created her own reality in many ways despite whatever else went on around her. She had determination, raw strength, courage and an energizing JOY as solid as cast iron. This despite the fact that she was only human and had her sadnesses.

I celebrate that I connected to that joyful part of her spirit! The show did too, to some degree but not quite enough. The accomplishments of this Great One should not be overshadowed, even by the horrors she endured, any more than we can forget the talent of Billie Holliday because she suffered too,

In fact, the accomplishments of this iconic Artist are her lasting conquest and represents one of the true cultural highlights of the 20th Century. PUT HER IN THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME. What's WRONG with you people???

jaybs
09-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Can't wait to see the full TV show, last night one of the DVD sellers who have used before is doing Tammi, Florence and Teddy shows on three DVD's for under $9 plus postage.

Also ordered the CD set, it will be dispatched around the 19 October, IF only Hippo would sell to the UK and Europe like they did at the begging!

positivesoul
09-24-2010, 06:36 AM
jay, and all of our UK friends, you don't have to wait! http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/show.asp?sid=902&id=2959

But HURRY. It's only good til Monday.

jaybs
09-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the link, sorry but I don't like watching something on the internet even though I have a 19" widescreen laptop, it is just not the same and if it buffers it becomes a pain, I will have the three shows I mentioned on clear DVD by next Friday, what is a week, when I have to wait until the end of October for the Hippo album.

lakedistrictlad1
09-24-2010, 08:07 AM
I've just watched this at work - and felt the tears well up toward the end. Not a good look in front of the boss. They say superstars have that extra special 'aura' that lifts them above the ordinary. For me Tammi had it. Listening to her voice sends a shiver down my spine. Just stunning. Such a huge talent. Such a loss. I'm really looking forward to revisiting Tammi's early songs on the upcoming collection. Hearing a couple on this programme took me by surprise. They are SO good.

positivesoul
09-24-2010, 08:26 AM
LOL jay... Understood, I think I'd feel the same way! Hang in there.

positivesoul
09-25-2010, 11:43 AM
With the overwhelmingly pro-Tammi reactions since UnSung, I think the chances of a Tammi Terrell TV or theater movie [[barring song licensing obstacles) have dramatically increased. [[Oprah... Tyler P... are you lisening?)

topdiva1
09-25-2010, 07:00 PM
With the overwhelmingly pro-Tammi reactions since UnSung, I think the chances of a Tammi Terrell TV or theater movie [[barring song licensing obstacles) have dramatically increased. [[Oprah... Tyler P... are you lisening?)

I hope they are listening - what a great, beautiful, yet sad story - one that most people have yet to hear. AAt least a mad for TV movie is in order!!!

jboy88
09-25-2010, 07:08 PM
If Tammi does get a movie in production, Tyler Perry shouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole!

uptight
09-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Right, because he might cast himself as the lead.

topcat
09-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the link. Everything I thought I knew was wrong. What a inspiring story.

tc

p.s. too funny about Tyler. hehe

positivesoul
09-27-2010, 09:00 AM
MAN, the Tammi Unsung accolades just keep pouring in! TVOne is running a poll on which Unsung episode was most enjoyed by the public since the series began. The Tammi Terrell episode is running away with the competition, with about 90% selecting it!!! What I'm really loving is that while so many commenters focus upon the sensational parts of her life, her beauty and the cancer tragedy as expected, SO many are simply astonished by her TALENT.

Harry Weinger's sharing of Tammi's acapella vocals was Pure Genius and will likely become legendary [[Thank You HW!), as will Otis' comment about the effect of hearing her sing with little or no technical dressing. What a grand intro to her coming Complete Solo set!

Here's a link to the poll and comments. Overwhelming!!! http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/unsung_comments.php