PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Oct 30, 9P-12M ET: He's Ba-a-a-a-a-ck....for the Birthday Show!!

test

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes....THE Birthday Show....not MY Birthday Show...I refuse to take responsibility for it....THAT'S not my age...that's some OTHER old man's age!! You get my point!
Folks...it will be nice to welcome you back to "Nightflight"...as I have been away for 2 weeks. I had the most surreal trip to UME and the Motown vaults, and I was treated so splendidly by Andy Skurow, the the personified perfection of guides; Harry Weinger, who was as sweet and kind as he could be; Kevin Reeves, the magician of engineering: and Brian, Elliot and Seth...more engineers who helped to make my visit to the Emerald City of Motown so amazing! I want to thank them for making a point to make my visit one that I will never forget! Thanks, Guys!
And to all of "Nightflight's" listeners...it's so good to be back with you! And I want to thank Nina Simone for sitting in for the show I missed...great job, Nina!!! Each year I do a birthday show where I play odds 'n' ends,extended versions, rarities and specialties. Tonight, I will do no different...but the remixes are new ones...not only Motown, but Beatles and Madonna...some of my favorites that needed a tweak of length. And the specialties are rare...ones I believe you'll like. I'm also going to place a little long missed spotlight on one of my favorite artists. So do join me,
tonight...for all this and more...on "Nightflight"....on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks!!
John
PS...my thoughts and prayers for those affected by the destruction caused by the cyclone Sandy that continues to devastate the Northeast...and for all those working so hard to protect those victims of this unreal storm.

...a Hallowe'en treat created by SDF's methuselah2...but he's methuselah1 in MY book! Thanks, Bruce!

ivyfield
10-30-2012, 12:41 PM
WOW! How lucky are YOU! PLEASE talk [[a LOT) about the visit to the vaults on the show... Just hope one day I'll be lucky enough to see it too. Jealous? Me? YOU BET!!!

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Belated Happy Birthday John! I remembered yesterday that your birthday was Sunday. I meant to wish you a belated Happy Birthday yesterday when we spoke, but I forgot again! My bad. I'm getting old and forgetful. Besides you had the best early birthday present ever - your personally guided tour of Universal and the Motown Vaults! I wasn't jealous either. Not!:cool:

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Welcome back John. I hope the storm isn't cutting into the celebration of your birthday season. I have had lots of rain and wind in PA, but no damage and no loss of power [[so I am better off than many). Sending prayers and encouragement to my fellow Northeasterners who weren't so lucky.

Have fun tonight, John.

Jim

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 02:53 PM
You're back and I'm glad to hear that the show will be coming from P-town. As opposed to Rikers Island, as you left NY with half of those vaults stuffed in your pockets! You've got stories to tell, music to play, and, God knows, a few upcoming election cracks to make, no doubt. It all comes with the territory, I suppose--the lay of the land, but don't take that personally. Sounds like a fun night is in store.

Thanks for including the Supremes Pumpkins photo. I spotted this great shot on the Internet, edited out a few other carved pumpkins surrounding these three [[I don't think it was The Andantes, by the way), and then I just added the names to those wonderful pumpkins and picture. How could I not? "Boo! In the Name of Love." [[Maybe those were The Andantes included in the original photo after all. Nope--I ain't goin' there. Nope, not me. Best-behavior me.)

lovechild
10-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Welcome back Johnny! and it sounds like you had an awesome time in the city..Have fun tonight :)

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
WOW! How lucky are YOU! PLEASE talk [[a LOT) about the visit to the vaults on the show... Just hope one day I'll be lucky enough to see it too. Jealous? Me? YOU BET!!!

Ivyfield.....it was an amazing experience....I will talk some about it!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Belated Happy Birthday John! I remembered yesterday that your birthday was Sunday. I meant to wish you a belated Happy Birthday yesterday when we spoke, but I forgot again! My bad. I'm getting old and forgetful. Besides you had the best early birthday present ever - your personally guided tour of Universal and the Motown Vaults! I wasn't jealous either. Not!:cool:

Thanks, Joseph....not to worry...the birthday is just a marker....and if I could forget it...I would. See you later, my friend!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Welcome back John. I hope the storm isn't cutting into the celebration of your birthday season. I have had lots of rain and wind in PA, but no damage and no loss of power [[so I am better off than many). Sending prayers and encouragement to my fellow Northeasterners who weren't so lucky.

Have fun tonight, John.

Jim

Thanks Jim....see you later...and glad you are ok!!!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
You're back and I'm glad to hear that the show will be coming from P-town. As opposed to Rikers Island, as you left NY with half of those vaults stuffed in your pockets! You've got stories to tell, music to play, and, God knows, a few upcoming election cracks to make, no doubt. It all comes with the territory, I suppose--the lay of the land, but don't take that personally. Sounds like a fun night is in store.

Thanks for including the Supremes Pumpkins photo. I spotted this great shot on the Internet, edited out a few other carved pumpkins surrounding these three [[I don't think it was The Andantes, by the way), and then I just added the names to those wonderful pumpkins and picture. How could I not? "Boo! In the Name of Love." [[Maybe those were The Andantes included in the original photo after all. Nope--I ain't goin' there. Nope, not me. Best-behavior me.)

Bruce...thanks. They did take me to Riker's, but I was able to get a furlough right away for good behaviour.
Thanks for the SUP-er pumpkins!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Welcome back Johnny! and it sounds like you had an awesome time in the city..Have fun tonight :)

Hey there Tony!!! It was a wonderful trip....glad I made it LAST week! See you later, gator!!

Glenpwood
10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Is it just me or does that Diana pumpkin just have that extra something going on that draws your eye to her?;)

Looking forward to your triumphant return to the airwaves, John, see everyone there....

Glenpwood
10-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Oh btw I hear TVOne will be spotlighting the Barbara, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, and Susaye pumpkins seperately from DMF in a special episode of "Unpatched";)

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Howdy Glen P!!!

...in the studio......wooooooooffff

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 08:59 PM
"Unpatched." Oh, Glen, you! Pretty funny!

carole cucumber
10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Johnny,
I noticed that when you mentioned those who so graciously welcomed you to NY & the vaults one name was missing.
Was George working another cruise or just on vacation??
It looks as if they'll just have to invite you back for the super-deluxe tour when George is able to join Andy & Harry.

carole cucumber
10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Oh btw I hear TVOne will be spotlighting the Barbara, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, and Susaye pumpkins seperately from DMF in a special episode of "Unpatched";)

Jean's old rag doll [[pumpkin) probably had tons of patches...

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Johnny,
I noticed that when you mentioned those who so graciously welcomed you to NY & the vaults one name was missing.
Was George working another cruise or just on vacation??
It looks as if they'll just have to invite you back for the super-deluxe tour when George is able to join Andy & Harry.

George wasn't there.....he was at his day job....no one was missed....George WASN'T missed...but he was MISSED!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
btw...Howdy, Carole!!!!

carole cucumber
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Where Did Our Love Go BABY...??

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm afraid to hear the two runners-ups' voices.

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Fabulous Scott Regen clip.
Ooo-wee. That was brand new to me.
And I loved it. What a sensational treat, John.
P.S. Christine sounded a lot like Judy Collins on IHAS.

lovechild
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=JimBagley;129285]I'm afraid to hear the two runners-ups' voices.[/QUOT

LOL Jim i would be afradi too

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
During the RTL Tour, she called herself "Miss Ross."
Perhaps.

Glenpwood
10-30-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm afraid to hear the two runners-ups' voices.

I heard the two runner ups were Shantel Baker and Kaaren Ragland but I might have been misinformed:)

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
As Shantel and Kaaren are genuine imitation Supremes, they might have been barred from competing.

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 09:43 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....Kaaarrrreeeeennnnnnnnn Raaaaaaagggggggggglllannnddddd!!!!!!

Glenpwood
Who gets a telegram their man died while under a hair dryer from the military? In the world of Motown, Apparantly you should never make homemade jam or dry your hair without expecting bad news...

Methuselah2
Oh, yes! Your remix of ASK ANY GIRL.
And I couldn't ask for anything else.

carole cucumber
10-30-2012, 09:44 PM
It's a little known fact that Christine Schumacher was under the dryer that was next to Martha Reeves when Scott Regen called to inform and congratulate her [[on- air) on winning the 'Record A Record With the Supremes ' Contest. That was Martha you can hear screaming in the background!

carole cucumber
10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Who gets a telegram their man died while under a hair dryer from the military? In the world of Motown, Apparantly you should never make homemade jam or dry your hair without expecting bad news...

What man died under a military hairdryer????

Glenpwood
10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Well I am eating Smuckers out of the jar and setting my perm with high heat right now in hopes the Lewis Sisters Lost And Found set gets lost again!:)

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Well I am eating Smuckers out of the jar and setting my perm with high heat right now in hopes the Lewis Sisters Lost And Found set gets lost again!:)

Oh noooooooooo....don't lose that!!!

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Those Lewis Sisters could ruin the best of Motown Listening Parties.

carole cucumber
10-30-2012, 09:54 PM

Word on the street is that the Lewis Sisters have your number [[and address) and will be paying you a visit when you least expect it.
And by the way, they prefer Nervous Nellie's Jams & Jellies.

lovechild
10-30-2012, 09:55 PM
thanks for playing Maybe I'm Amazed def one of my favorite PMc tracks

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
thanks for playing Maybe I'm Amazed def one of my favorite PMc tracks

My pleasure, Tone!! That backing track is so gorgeous....so is the song....

144man
10-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi John

Thanks to getting a laptop and to going back to Greenwich Meantime, it's the first time I've been able to listen to you. "Tears of A Clown" could be the story of my life.

Belated Happy Birthday.

Martin

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi John

Thanks to getting a laptop and to going back to Greenwich Meantime, it's the first time I've been able to listen to you. "Tears of A Clown" could be the story of my life.

Belated Happy Birthday.

Martin

Martin....welcome and thank you so much. Greenwich...that means you're in the UK???

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 10:02 PM
I had Paul McCartny's Greatest Hits album when I was in high school.

Your "Maybe I'm Amazed" is much better, John.

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 10:03 PM
No matter how you look at it, a telegram beats a "Hello Kitty" card.

carole cucumber
10-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Will Andy, Harry or George be calling in to wish you a happy birthday?

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
No birthday celebration would be complete without a tune from Peggy Lee. I play "Hey Look Me Over" by Peggy on my birthday.

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Welcome Martin, glad you could make it!:cool:

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 10:07 PM
"The work of 3 Trojans."
Am I really going to let that one pass?
Guess so.

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Welcome Joseph.

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I had Paul McCartny's Greatest Hits album when I was in high school.

Your "Maybe I'm Amazed" is much better, John.

Thanks Jim!!!

texassoul
10-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Howdy John. Welcome back!! We missed you terribly. When you were at Motown, did you ask anyone why Motown let music like the David Ruffin album "David" sit in the vault for over 30 years. There's no telling what's still in there that deserves to be released.

Glenpwood
10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Great extension of Cherish.... One of Madges most underrated singles... Well that and Hanky Panky hehe

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Meow !!!!!!!!!

greg jones
10-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Hey Johnny,

Since you are talking about your wonderful trip to UME... with what's going on in NYC, have you heard from Harry and Andy today and if they are doing ok ? Am presuming that their offices were closed and they probably worked from home, unless they are in coastal areas that needed evacuations!!!

greg jones
los angeles, ca

texassoul
10-30-2012, 10:18 PM
"Close to You"......brilliant!!

lovechild
10-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Beautiful Beatiful Beautiful....Karen... :)

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Welcome Joseph.

Thanks Jim, glad you made it through the storm okay!:)

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Howdy John. Welcome back!! We missed you terribly. When you were at Motown, did you ask anyone why Motown let music like the David Ruffin album "David" sit in the vault for over 30 years. There's no telling what's still in there that deserves to be released.

Mike...thank you so much. I didn't ask that...but we probably know. And there is a bit left from what i saw!

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks Jim, glad you made it through the storm okay!:)

Thanks. I made out better than most and I am very grateful.

texassoul
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Mike...thank you so much. I didn't ask that...but we probably know. And there is a bit left from what i saw!

Cmon Motown!! Let it all out.

davidh
10-30-2012, 10:29 PM
happy birthday

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 10:31 PM
happy birthday

Thank you, Baltimore!!!! How are you? Did the storm do damage to B'more?

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 10:32 PM
"Double-Decker Jet Plane" is such a great song. Thanks Johnny. I think every track on the "Lori Lieberman" album is excellent. BTW Lori did the original version of "Killing Me Softly With His Song". All the tracks on this album, except one, were written by Fox and Gimbel who also produced the album. Lori contributed "My Lover Do You Know" and absolutely beautiful song. Criminally, this album has never been released on CD!

texassoul
10-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Andy Williams......TUNE!!

JimBagley
10-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Thank you Joseph for the Julie London version of Can't Get Used To Losing You.

lovechild
10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
This was one of Andy's greatest pop hits. thanks for playing and mixing it JP :)

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Thank you Joseph for the Julie London version of Can't Get Used To Losing You.

Her version is my favorite.

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
This was one of Andy's greatest pop hits. thanks for playing and mixing it JP :)

Thanks, Tony!

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Loving all the Judy. She's one of my all-time favorite vocalists. Thanks John.:cool:

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Loving all the Judy. She's one of my all-time favorite vocalists. Thanks John.:cool:

Glad you're loving her.....so wonderful....

144man
10-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks, Joseph. It took me long enough to get here.

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Judy's "A Star Is Born" was restored to 176 minutes. All the dialogue was still available but not all the scenes which were substituted with still pictures. Looks fantastic on blu-ray!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Judy's "A Star Is Born" was restored to 176 minutes. All the dialogue was still available but not all the scenes which were substituted with still pictures. Looks fantastic on blu-ray!

Such an amazing film....such drama and such wonderful humor.....there aren't too many movies that I love as much!

lovechild
10-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Are you going to play a Halloween song ..

jayedsel
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Welcome back, Johnny. I wanted to share a email [[edited for privacy of the sender). I sent Telma info about the Jerry Plunk show.
Telma's email follows.
Jay, I found a package you sent some time go, I guess while I was working in Connecticut. I didn't see a number so I couldn't call you. Since the interviews were done months ago I just wanted to respond to your letter. I didn't want to call the station because, well, I don't know who I'd calling! Lol!
Anyway, thanks for thinking of me. I'm sure the interview were great....
Blessings, Telma Hopkins

I'm not giving up on getting Telma on the show.
Rockin' and Rollin in Los Angeles,
Jay

lovechild
10-30-2012, 11:11 PM
ok this will workJP . Thansk.

Today they played the monster mash on the radio and this girl i work with asked me if it was a new song? she is in her 20s . i about died laughing hahahahahahaha LOL

Glenpwood
10-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Ahh, Oh Father, the Nothing But Heartaches of Madonna early years [[A great song that snapped her string of Top 10 Hot 100 hits.) I suppose its sweet justice that this is far more remembered now than the follow up, Keep It Together, that restored her top 10 streak until Bad Girl in 1993.

John, you really pulled put the beauty of the strings and intro on this.... Amazing.....

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Welcome back, Johnny. I wanted to share a email [[edited for privacy of the sender). I sent Telma info about the Jerry Plunk show.
Telma's email follows.
Jay, I found a package you sent some time go, I guess while I was working in Connecticut. I didn't see a number so I couldn't call you. Since the interviews were done months ago I just wanted to respond to your letter. I didn't want to call the station because, well, I don't know who I'd calling! Lol!
Anyway, thanks for thinking of me. I'm sure the interview were great....
Blessings, Telma Hopkins

I'm not giving up on getting Telma on the show.
Rockin' and Rollin in Los Angeles,
Jay

Jay....thanks so much!! And thanks for all your work in trying to get Telma on the show.....she has an open invitation!!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Ahh, Oh Father, the Nothing But Heartaches of Madonna early years [[A great song that snapped her string of Top 10 Hot 100 hits.) I suppose its sweet justice that this is far more remembered now than the follow up, Keep It Together, that restored her top 10 streak until Bad Girl in 1993.

John, you really pulled put the beauty of the strings and intro on this.... Amazing.....

Thanks so much Glen!!!

lovechild
10-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for an awesome job on Dear Prudence Johhny!

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks for an awesome job on Dear Prudence Johhny!

Thank you, Tone!!! I appreciate it!

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Love Is Here and Now You're Gone.
Great remix by Tom M.
But in honor of your birthday show,
I slammed doors and screamed in my apt.
And a moo, too.

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Love Is Here and Now You're Gone.
Great remix by Tom M.
But in honor of your birthday show,
I slammed doors and screamed in my apt.
And a moo, too.

Thank you....that was PERFECT!!!

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Tonight's show wove a beautiful spell, John.
A really charming way to celebrate and enjoy your birthday with you. So glad you remembered to come back.

sophisticated_soul
10-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Eclectic and electric! Great show John, thanks! And thank you one and all. See you next time.:cool:

144man
10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
It's 4 in the morning. I might stay awake long enough to get to bed.
Thanks for a great show.

lovechild
Thanks for a super happy birthday show JP WelcomeHome :)

midnight johnny
Thank you, Bruce and Joseph and ALL!!!! Thanks for such a lovely welcome back....I appreciate you all so much! See you next week....

midnight johnny
10-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for a super happy birthday show JP WelcomeHome :)

Thanks Tone...so much!

sophisticated_soul
10-31-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for a great show.

You're 4am, John is 12am and here in California it's 9pm, Nightflight covers a lot of time zones!:cool:

midnight johnny
10-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks for a great show.

Thanks so much, Martin!!!!

hwume
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Happy belated Birthday Johnny. Glad to hear P-Town and WOMR are OK.

John and I have been in touch, thank you JP. For the record I'm OK, just no power and intermittent web via 3G, but I have no complaints relative to others who have been evacuated or worse. I have corresponded with Andy S and he's alright, and his town has power. George is not near the storm, though he was in its beginning, and survived just fine. [[FYI George doesn't actually work at UMe.) UMG NY offices have been closed until today but for some of us there is no easy way to get to the building.

Other than that, no need to hijack this thread: only would like to add that I'm looking forward to being back on "Nightflight" soon.

midnight johnny
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Happy belated Birthday Johnny. Glad to hear P-Town and WOMR are OK.

John and I have been in touch, thank you JP. For the record I'm OK, just no power and intermittent web via 3G, but I have no complaints relative to others who have been evacuated or worse. I have corresponded with Andy S and he's alright, and his town has power. George is not near the storm, though he was in its beginning, and survived just fine. [[FYI George doesn't actually work at UMe.) UMG NY offices have been closed until today but for some of us there is no easy way to get to the building.

Other than that, no need to hijack this thread: only would like to add that I'm looking forward to being back on "Nightflight" soon.

Harry....thanks for the birthday wish! It's good to be reassured of your and Andy's and George's safety.
The storm and it's repercussions have been so incredibly surreal to watch...I guess i picked the right week for my visit!
I'm looking forward to your next visit to "Nightflight"....and you can hijack the thread anytime!
Take care, Harry!
John

Hulswood
11-02-2012, 06:15 PM
You're 4am, John is 12am and here in California it's 9pm, Nightflight covers a lot of time zones!:cool:

Sure about that:..... I'm in a EDT + 5hrs timezone....Netherlands [[Europe)....
Nightflight local time 9pm = 2am next day for me......a flight into the night.....:D
Jerry.

sophisticated_soul
11-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Martin commented [[post#83) that when the show ended it was 4am for him [[which I believe is the UK), and for Midnight Johnny [[on the east coast) the show ends at 12am. For me on the west coast that is 9pm. I could be wrong about where Martin lives.:confused:

Hulswood
11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi Sophisticated,
Lets clearify it: Last week it was 6 hrs to add up for me, and now its 5 because of daylight saving time change we had a couple of days ago.

You can check http://www.worldclock.com/time_zone_converter.html
As the reply-function on this forum refuses to insert an image from my PC, here's what I entered:
Day: 3
Month: November
Year: 2012
Hour: 00 [[=12 am)
My Location: Netherlands
Select Location: United States Boston [[I think Provincetown = same as Boston time)
Click Convert

Reply on screen:
Netherlands = UTC +1 hr [[UTC being universal time)
Boston = UTC -4 hrs
Total difference = 5 hrs.

London UK has UTC +00 at the moment, so 4 hrs later than Boston. When John starts at 9pm its 1am next day in the UK and 2am next day at my place.

Jerry.

sophisticated_soul
11-02-2012, 08:08 PM
That makes sense as Martin said the show ended for him at 4am so it would have started at 1am for him, which would be 9pm the day before for Johnny and 6pm the same day for me. DST ends for both Johnny and I this Sunday at 2am, and we turn the clock back one hour to 1am in our respective locations. There is always a three hour difference between Johnny and I. - JOsEph

Methuselah2
11-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I wear a Timex at all times.
It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

144man
11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
You're right. I live in London.