PDA

View Full Version : Supremes @ Barbados Independence Celebrations 1966

test

jsmith
10-30-2012, 05:40 AM
I didn't realise until I saw the attached that the Supremes had performed at the Barbados Independence celerations held at the very end of November in 1966.
I would have thought that the fact they had secured this top booking would have been noted in the group's history somewhere [[especially as it was in the middle of Flo's drinking period coz she was bitter at the special treatment Diana was getting).
I don't remember seeing it being mentioned before & guess [[knowing the Bridgetown newspapers from my visits to the island) that there would have been a few photo spreads of the group published there during that visit.
Anyone know much of anything about the show they did there ??

theboyfromxtown
10-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Well done John!

reese
10-30-2012, 07:55 AM
I believe this is the concert where fans stormed the stage, and the girls had to escape by boat. It is detailed in THE LOST SUPREME.

antceleb12
10-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I believe this is the concert where fans stormed the stage, and the girls had to escape by boat. It is detailed in THE LOST SUPREME.

You're right. I believe this was during their Puerto Rico trip, as well.

marybrewster
10-30-2012, 11:08 AM

And then their boat tipped over and their gowns were eaten by an alligator. Or something like that.

jsmith
10-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Have any photos from the show or the aftermath 'surfaced' since then ???
.... I'm sure the local press would have been out in force for their visit to the island & for the show.

Didn't have 'The Lost Supreme' book, so I just ordered a copy.

antceleb12
10-30-2012, 01:43 PM
It's not from Barbados, but here's one from their Puerto Rico excursion:

carlo
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
And then their boat tipped over and their gowns were eaten by an alligator. Or something like that.

An alligator named Shantel.