PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson – The Venetian Room at the Fairmont Hotel – San Francisco - Oct. 28th

test

motownlover1964
10-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Mary returned to The Venetian Room last night and played to a full house. She largely did her Jazz and Blues concert with a few Supreme songs thrown in for good measure. The crowd was enthusiastic and she was fantastic. A shout-out goes to Parnell who did back-up for her. She and Parnell also did a duet of Sting’s “Fields of Gold.” She spoke briefly about playing the room in the 60’s with Diana and Flo and then with the 70’s Supremes Jean and Cindy. She said there are a lot of ghosts in the room – all good and a lot of good memories.

The most poignant moment of the evening was when she sang “Tears in Heaven” and spoke about the loss of her son in 1994 and how this song gave her the strength to go on. She said that she has never gotten over it but has been able to move on nevertheless. She also gave a nod to Florence as well when she sang “I Am Changing” from Dreamgirls.

We met quite a few fans of The Supremes and Mary in particular so that was a lot of fun to share stories, plus the fans I met last night saw all the groupings of the Supremes from the 1960s on.

The Venetian Room re-opened a few years ago after being dark for 21 years and now hosts a cabaret series of which Mary was the first performer in this year’s series.

REDHOT
10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the review Motownlover,Mary is everywhere lol,and i love it
Please stay positive

marv2
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
She'll even be back in Detroit Metro in November!

Methuselah2
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Loved reading your review! Many, many thanks for bringing the show right to us. Just great!

des123
10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
here is Mary after the show.

marv2
10-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Great picture. Thanks Des!