PDA

View Full Version : Motown Released Unissued tunes info.

test

honest man
10-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Hello People ,been contributing my top 10s to Motown Poll, whilst doing so i thought of some of the excellent unissued songs that have been released over last 25 plus years,now i need assistance.Can anyone remember the first time unissued appeared,i remember a Marvelettes -Kim Weston 45 being put out as part of a set,from then we had Motown from Vaults- Motown brightest lights[ i think it was called],and now so many more we have the Spectrum Anthologies -Hipo lost and found etc, Marvin's the Master box sets etc .I have them all,I think but i maybe wrong,Sometimes a few go amiss ie LULLABY OF LOVE- TEMPTATIONS,From one of their collections,also SMOKEY ROBINSON AND MIRACLES GOING OUT OF MY HEAD From updated 2 on 1 etc, which i now have.This kind of stuff i would like to know about in case i have overlooked anything,not Extended,alternatives etc, anyone add to this please.Lastly i have Bluebird by Tempts from aMarginal release has this song ever appeared officially on cd [just answered my question]think it;s on Motown Around the world cd. Hopefully we can build our own SDF Motown unissued Database between us, cheers folks.

rovereab
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Did Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye pre-date Motown From The Vaults?

longtimefan
10-28-2012, 11:17 AM
I Ike what HipO did regarding The Supremes' unissued tracks in the booklet accompanying their LOST AND FOUND set. They provided a listing indicating where previously unissued tracks first appeared [[not including alternates or live performances).

I previously posted that I wish this concept had been continued, asking fans to help update the list on SDF.

roger
10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Some of those 1970 budget U.K. "Music For Pleasure" L.Ps contained a handful of "unissued" tracks amongst the more familiar titles .. "My Love is Your Love [[Forever)" by THE ISLEY BROTHERS and "Baby Hit And Run" by THE CONTOURS as examples ..

Roger

robb_k
10-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Motown released vaulted cuts [[1-2-3-4 year old cuts) as album fillers, all along through their history.

honest man
10-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Motown released vaulted cuts [[1-2-3-4 year old cuts) as album fillers, all along through their history.

hmm we know about those songs im on about the not so obvious songs within the digital age,a few songs i have mentioned,just straight forward answers,PLEASE....................,THANK YOU.

robb_k
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Did "Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye" pre-date Motown From The Vaults?

"From The Vaults" LP was issued in Spring 1979.

calvin
10-28-2012, 06:37 PM
It seems that all the information you want should be in "Don't Forget The Motor City", at least up to the date the 8th edition was released online, but it would be very time consuming to get it from there in the format it's in. If you had all the information of DFTMC in the form of a relational database - and perhaps Keith Hughes does - you could do it by calling up all distinct artist/title combinations with recording date 1972 or earlier [[plus those with unknown recording dates), with first release in, say, 1979 or later.

grapevine
10-29-2012, 09:34 AM
...the first time [[I think) I was aware of unissued tracks on an LP was with the UK Budget LP...

...in 1971 ...that included this stunner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OR0LZG/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk35

:)

calvin
10-29-2012, 02:44 PM
So there were "previously unissued" tracks as early as 1971. As Robb notes above, Motown often used old tracks - previously unreleased, though not labelled as such - as LP filler. What exactly do we mean then by "previously unreleased" tracks? In 1966, Vintage Stock had previously unreleased tracks from Mary Wells - such as Guarantee [[For a Lifetime) - about two years after she left the label.

The information in DFTMC would allow one to make a list of all officially-released [[not bootleg) tracks for a given artist, sorted by release date [[with name of LP, or flip side of the single, etc) rather than sorted alphabetically as it is on the website. And if Keith Hughes has that information in the form of a relational database, this would be easy to do.

honest man
10-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Hello i think we have crossed lines,i know all about DFMC site very good if you know what you are looking for ,the question i asked about are hidden tracks on cd, ie THE MIRACLES GOING OUT OF MY HEAD from away we gog o DRATS -NITTY GRITTY from pink set, i think this is the end of thread,frustrating, maybe people would rather contribute to Supremes shoe sizes etc. what a joke this place is becoming.

calvin
10-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey what I'm saying is, if you like the Supremes Rarities Checklist in the booklet in The Supremes Lost & Found, it would take about 5 minutes to make that list - for the Supremes or for any other artist, or for ALL Motown artists at once if you wanted - if you could get the data from Keith Hughes's DFTMC in the right format. I thought that's what you wanted and was suggesting a way it could be done, with Keith's help.

If you look at that list in the Supremes Lost & Found - I guess there are well over 100 songs listed there, over 22 different LP and cd releases. And more Supremes stuff has come out since then. Think how big this list will be after you also add Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations, The Four Tops, etc. It's a huge task to put that list together by scratch from LP and CD releases, release by release. What I was trying to point out is that, in fact, Keith Hughes has already done that huge task!

Btw, it seems that - according to DFTMC - DRATS The Nitty Gritty first appeared in 1997 on The Complete Motown Anthology, vol 8. It's also on cd 2 of the Anthology set from 2001. I don't think it's in the pink box.

Roger Polhill
11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Honest Man if you supply your address, I will send you my list of unreleased tracks in my collection. I can provide the source of each release should you require that.
Regards Roger. Sorry to be so late replying.

honest man
11-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Hello Roger thanks, check private message,cheers.speak soon.