PDA

View Full Version : "You Turn Me Around" - The Supremes [[the 1975 Album!)

test

marv2
09-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Here's a nice gem I haven't listen to in a long while, Mary with Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne. "You Turn Me Around":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbtdsxpwVNU

topdiva1
09-23-2010, 10:17 AM
An interesting and soothing soulful rendition of the VERY underrated and overlooked, at times - Ms. Mary Wilson. Mary has a pure and sultry voice - needing no overdubs or enhancements - this is the type of song that Mary Wilson excels at.

Thanks Marv for pushing this quiet gen to the forefront. Be well!!!

REDHOT
10-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I really love this album, Mary really shines on this album, And the new girl[[at the time) Scherrie Payne[[a powerful lead) alone with Cindy Birdsong, I was in love with The Supremes all over again, What a great cover.
Please stay positive

blueskies
10-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I think this was one of the classiest album covers The Supemes ever did. Often wondered if it was taken in a studio or someones home? Really like the album and "You Turn Me Around" is a great one for Mary.

robbert
10-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I might have read once that Mary was heavily pregnant when the front cover pic was shot. That's why we don't see her in her full glory!

captainjames
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
This was the sleeper on the album for me, Mary done so much better with Jimmy Webb.

topdiva1
10-09-2010, 11:20 PM
I think this was one of the classiest album covers The Supemes ever did. Often wondered if it was taken in a studio or someones home? Really like the album and "You Turn Me Around" is a great one for Mary.

I am told - that Mary was pregant during this photo shot - and Cindy and Scherrie are helping her hide this. It was shot at Mary Wilson's Hancock Park mansion.

marv2
10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I remember that place. Nat King Cole use to live there prior to Mary.

Her best song off the album [[to me) was this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqwbEuIHig

sup_fan
10-10-2010, 08:37 AM
i'm not s huge fan of this lp. i like the "pop" stuff like You Can't Stop A Girl and It's All been Said Before. the disco tracks are only so-so for me. and Mary's ballads aren't my favs. I do think, technically, she sounds really pretty good. I just think the lyrics for Where Is It I Belong are too corny. You Turn Me Around is ok. Don't Let my Teardrops is so much better though

daviddh
10-10-2010, 08:44 AM
this was a good album .loved COLOR ME BLUE. im surprised BEND A LITTLE and SHA LA BANDIT were left off as i prefer them over WHERE IS IT I BELONG/ EARLY MORNING LOVE....my 2 least fav from this album

marv2
10-10-2010, 11:19 AM
i'm not s huge fan of this lp. i like the "pop" stuff like You Can't Stop A Girl and It's All been Said Before. the disco tracks are only so-so for me. and Mary's ballads aren't my favs. I do think, technically, she sounds really pretty good. I just think the lyrics for Where Is It I Belong are too corny. You Turn Me Around is ok. Don't Let my Teardrops is so much better though

"Where Is It I Belong" is very Adult Contemporary and Mary sings it beautifully. "Don't Let my Teardrops Bothers You" is not even on this album!

topdiva1
10-10-2010, 01:39 PM

I remember reading an old Soul magazine article that said Mary's home had 44 rooms - and tha Nate King Cole had once lived acroos the street - years before Mary Wilson moved into Hancock Park.

sup_fan
10-10-2010, 02:00 PM
no i realize Teardrops wasn't on this lp. i was just saying that these 2 mary ballads weren't my favs and that i like some of her songs on other lps better. I DEFINITELY do not like Early Morning Love. just ridiculous. frankly i think this quality of song was below the Supremes. a good beat and backing track but the lyrics, IMO, are right up there with Living In Shame for corniness.

Motown_M_1056
10-10-2010, 03:17 PM
no i realize Teardrops wasn't on this lp. i was just saying that these 2 mary ballads weren't my favs and that i like some of her songs on other lps better. I DEFINITELY do not like Early Morning Love. just ridiculous. frankly i think this quality of song was below the Supremes. a good beat and backing track but the lyrics, IMO, are right up there with Living In
Shame for corniness.

I agree with you Sup Fan. We waited almost three years for the Supremes LP and when I got it, I thought how behind the times The Supremes sounded especially when I compared it to the albums other groups like The Three Degrees, The Pointer Sisters, Labelle and the Emotions were releasing at the same time. These groups were doing more progressive sounding material. The Supremes regressed in my view. All of the producers on the album showed the group and Motown had lost direction and an identity and were searching for something that worked.
Some of the songs were OK, but I can see why the album was not a hit. his Is Why I Believe In You was the bottom for me. Scherrie Payne oversang on it and it was just ridiculous.
Wasn't You Turn Me Around a contemporary gospel song? I heard it sung by some white choral group and some of the lyrics were different.
I

sup_fan
10-10-2010, 03:34 PM
i thought the lp was a mix of some pop songs and then generic disco and bland ballads. He's My Man was ok but nothing that great, imo. certainly glad though it registered on the dance charts because that's what lead motown to continuing the group with high energy and MSS. by the time they got to I'm Gonna Let My Heart, i think they'd developed a stronger, more forceful disco edge and that made them stand out a bit. glitz and glam were all the range with disco and the Sups could have been the queens of Studio 54, all sequinned out and belting out Let Yourself Go.

phyl
10-10-2010, 04:49 PM
thank you marv for putting up htis video i love mary wilson she sings so beautufiully on this shes the supreme and i love her so much an di love you marv youre good peeple and im pround youreme my friend.

phyl
10-10-2010, 04:50 PM
no i realize Teardrops wasn't on this lp. i was just saying that these 2 mary ballads weren't my favs and that i like some of her songs on other lps better. I DEFINITELY do not like Early Morning Love. just ridiculous. frankly i think this quality of song was below the Supremes. a good beat and backing track but the lyrics, IMO, are right up there with Living In Shame for corniness.

i lvoe early mornining love its a horny song an di love it when mary wislon gets her horny on ha haaha and if you dont like early morning love then you nened to buy syourself a motherfukking hearring aid its a great song mary wiwlson is the supremee supreme and that sthte turht athe whole turth nad nothing but the truth.

phyl
10-10-2010, 04:52 PM
i thought the lp was a mix of some pop songs and then generic disco and bland ballads. He's My Man was ok but nothing that great, imo. certainly glad though it registered on the dance charts because that's what lead motown to continuing the group with high energy and MSS. by the time they got to I'm Gonna Let My Heart, i think they'd developed a stronger, more forceful disco edge and that made them stand out a bit. glitz and glam were all the range with disco and the Sups could have been the queens of Studio 54, all sequinned out and belting out Let Yourself Go.

i lvoe thaose disco suprmemes songs i love dancing and parytting to those songs we nened to get back tot he good motwont and disoc music most of todays musiic is shit.

phyl
10-10-2010, 04:53 PM

i love wheree is it i blelong im not proud to say it but i can relleate tota that song but its a beuatioful song and mary wilsons sounds so good i love mary wislon.

gordy_hunk
10-10-2010, 04:53 PM
After having been eagerly awaiting a new album from the Supremes, I was thoroughly disappointed with the Jimmy Webb album. It still remains my least liked album [[I even prefer the 'Funny Girl' album to that). So, when this new album was being issued, I thought 'at last - after all this time'. However, I didn't realise [[initially) that Jean had left.

I do remember though that the radio stations [[Radio Trent in particular) played 'He's my man' which I absolutely loved, and thought that the Supremes have really returned with a huge record. Yes, it didn't sell, and I couldn't understand it.

The album - when issued - I thought was more of a sophisticated move away from the earlier material, but still struggled to hear Jean's voice.... thinking ... how could her voice have changed so much? Then of course, I discovered it was no longer Jean as the principal lead singer. However, I was delighted to hear Mary singing more than on previous albums [[and at the time, I assumed Cindy too).

The front cover was wonderful - and I felt that the whole album was well put together, enjoyable [[even if a little short) but a fantastic return to the major league players.

Yep, this album for me rates highly with 'Right On' and 'New Ways but Love Stays" and even 'Touch'.

topdiva1
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
After having been eagerly awaiting a new album from the Supremes, I was thoroughly disappointed with the Jimmy Webb album. It still remains my least liked album [[I even prefer the 'Funny Girl' album to that). So, when this new album was being issued, I thought 'at last - after all this time'. However, I didn't realise [[initially) that Jean had left.

I do remember though that the radio stations [[Radio Trent in particular) played 'He's my man' which I absolutely loved, and thought that the Supremes have really returned with a huge record. Yes, it didn't sell, and I couldn't understand it.

The album - when issued - I thought was more of a sophisticated move away from the earlier material, but still struggled to hear Jean's voice.... thinking ... how could her voice have changed so much? Then of course, I discovered it was no longer Jean as the principal lead singer. However, I was delighted to hear Mary singing more than on previous albums [[and at the time, I assumed Cindy too).

The front cover was wonderful - and I felt that the whole album was well put together, enjoyable [[even if a little short) but a fantastic return to the major league players.

Yep, this album for me rates highly with 'Right On' and 'New Ways but Love Stays" and even 'Touch'.

You are so right about this.

supremesouluk2
10-27-2010, 08:08 AM
I think that this song suits Mary's voice far better than 'Early Morning Love'.
This is my favourite Supremes album of all time! It is just a pity that the album was so short - hopefully the long awaiting 70s Supremss Final Sessions will see this album remastered and with allthe glorious out-takes we know are out there [[and those we don't).

jillfoster
10-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I agree with you Sup Fan. We waited almost three years for the Supremes LP and when I got it, I thought how behind the times The Supremes sounded especially when I compared it to the albums other groups like The Three Degrees, The Pointer Sisters, Labelle and the Emotions were releasing at the same time. These groups were doing more progressive sounding material. The Supremes regressed in my view. All of the producers on the album showed the group and Motown had lost direction and an identity and were searching for something that worked.
Some of the songs were OK, but I can see why the album was not a hit. his Is Why I Believe In You was the bottom for me. Scherrie Payne oversang on it and it was just ridiculous.
Wasn't You Turn Me Around a contemporary gospel song? I heard it sung by some white choral group and some of the lyrics were different.
I

this album was not behind the times in any way. One of the main reasons certain composers and producers were chosen was because Lambert/Potter, who wrote "It's All Been Said Before" were in the top 10 at the time with this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTwAY8z6OGw

And the other songs written and produced by Woodford/Ivey had potential as well, evidenced by this top 10 hit. VERY similar sound to Supremes 75:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIFi58SV1RM&feature=related

Motown_M_1056
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
this album was not behind the times in any way. One of the main reasons certain composers and producers were chosen was because Lambert/Potter, who wrote "It's All Been Said Before" were in the top 10 at the time with this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTwAY8z6OGw

And the other songs written and produced by Woodford/Ivey had potential as well, evidenced by this top 10 hit. VERY similar sound to Supremes 75:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIFi58SV1RM&feature=related

Women were getting their equal rights in 1975. Female groups like Labelle were not singing about being subservient to some man.
Even the Three Degrees [[the epitome of living black Barbie Dolls) were singing songs that showed a woman could be more aggressive than the woman in Early Morning Love. The Supremes didn't have any real focus or consistency in my view. It was all over the place. The Supremes were behind the times.

topdiva1
10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Mary Wilson ALWAYS did a great job with the material she was given by producers. You must look at the song itself, the writing, the production, and other factors before faulting Mary Wilson or any singer.

Motown did not really try to give Mary the best songs for her voice - or write just for her - if they would have Mary could have become a big solo star at Motown. And a big solo female star at Motown was not going to happen in the wake of Diana Ross. Now ya'll all know that.

The Supremes with Ms. Payne or Ms. Terrell at the lead should have been much bigger that they ever where. It was not the singers or the group, but the company that killed The Supremes and Flo Ballard.

Motown_M_1056
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Mary Wilson ALWAYS did a great job with the material she was given by producers. You must look at the song itself, the writing, the production, and other factors before faulting Mary Wilson or any singer.

Motown did not really try to give Mary the best songs for her voice - or write just for her - if they would have Mary could have become a big solo star at Motown. And a big solo female star at Motown was not going to happen in the wake of Diana Ross. Now ya'll all know that.

The Supremes with Ms. Payne or Ms. Terrell at the lead should have been much bigger that they ever where. It was not the singers or the group, but the company that killed The Supremes and Flo Ballard.

I didn't fault Mary Wilson. I just didn't think The Supremes LP was any good. It arrived in 1975 sounding like it had been recorded six years earlier. Other groups like the Pointer Sisters, the Emotions and Nona Hendryx of Labelle were writing their own songs in 1975. They weren't relying on some man to put words in their mouths. Of course, Supreme fans are going to like everything the trio did. I just know by 1975, they were becoming an anachronism and it showed in their music.

jillfoster
10-27-2010, 02:24 PM
I didn't fault Mary Wilson. I just didn't think The Supremes LP was any good. It arrived in 1975 sounding like it had been recorded six years earlier. Other groups like the Pointer Sisters, the Emotions and Nona Hendryx of Labelle were writing their own songs in 1975. They weren't relying on some man to put words in their mouths. Of course, Supreme fans are going to like everything the trio did. I just know by 1975, they were becoming an anachronism and it showed in their music.

Certainly there were progressive songs by female singers in 1975, but also very sweet old fashioned ones that were hits as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFQZyxxyyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDhUkSFx2lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAJBHGZHnCY

And "When Will I See you Again" is not exactly some edgy, feminist statement.

topdiva1
10-27-2010, 04:48 PM
The Supremes where trapped by the old line Motown Machine - and when The Supremes stopped making money - they got canned

Motown_M_1056
10-27-2010, 05:11 PM
The Supremes where trapped by the old line Motown Machine - and when The Supremes stopped making money - they got canned

I don't completely buy that excuse either. By 1975, the Supremes were not managed exclusively by Motown. They had independent management and agents who made decisions for them. Motown was letting Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder write and produce themselves when they desired to. Motown still had some female producers like Gloria Jones on staff. The Supremes were dependent on writers and producers, true.
But Scherrie Payne was a writer, so was Susaye Greene. But they weren't allowed to write for the group because of management [[the Ferrars).
IIt's also true that the people [[the old Motown machine) who had once championed the Supremes [[Berry Gordy Jr., Frank Wilson, etc.) were gone from the day to day operations of Motown and some of the new execs in place no longer cared about the Supremes. But the group could have done some things on its own. But its own internal problems led to its eventual downfall and the general public lost interest. Everytime it turned around, there was someone new in the group.

jobeterob
10-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree with both TopDiva and Motown M1056.

There came a time when it was a lose lose situation; the times had changed and the Supremes didn't reinvent themselves; the management was poor; the personnel were unhappy and weren't getting along; the company lost interest because there was no money to be made and with all of that, the group was doomed. By 1977, in Canada, you had to special order their records if you wanted one.

Hey, how come I'm starting to agree with posts by TopDiva and Marv? Is this a good sign?

phyl
10-27-2010, 06:52 PM
i love ealry mornying love when its a song anyone with a godo hornhy man can relate too ha hahaah and mary wilson does a dman horny job of singing that song.

jillfoster
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
i love ealry mornying love when its a song anyone with a godo hornhy man can relate too ha hahaah and mary wilson does a dman horny job of singing that song.

You tell em phyl! some good dick in the mornin ain't nothin to be puttin down!

stephanie
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I like this album the only song I cant listen to is Cant Stop a girl in Love. Mary is at her best vocally on this album especially on This is Why I Believe in You. The best songs on here are the ones that Mary leads Where is it I Belong and You Turn me Around which should have been a huge hit! I thought the mix of producers was good and every christmas I think of Scherrie Payne because I play Its all been Said Before it sounds like a holiday song. One thing about the 70s Supremes when Jean and everyone else came this group and Mary came into their own. I missed Cindy and when Susaye came I accepted her but I think that each and every grouping brought their own talent to the mix. I can listen to this album more so than High Energy. I can listen to MSS more than High Energy and I think the music was better.

jillfoster
10-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I agree, and earlier in the convo, it was stated that "Early Morning Love" was an outdated sentiment lyric-wise... but I don't see how anyone can claim that with a straight face, when the very next year, one of the biggest hits of the year was "Afternoon Delight".

marv2
10-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I agree, and earlier in the convo, it was stated that "Early Morning Love" was an outdated sentiment lyric-wise... but I don't see how anyone can claim that with a straight face, when the very next year, one of the biggest hits of the year was "Afternoon Delight".

or Donna Summers' Epic of Orgasm......"Love to Love You Baby" [[the longggg version) later that year 1975.

luke
10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Sorry I hated that song Early Mornin Love-just plain boring IMO. Now, You Turn Me Around and Hes My Man especially--hot hot hot!

jobeterob
10-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I didn't like Early Morning Love or You Turn Me Around either; no way would those songs be hits; no way was He's My Man going to be a pop or R & B hit either. They did have a chance with songs like Where Do I Go From Here and Color My World Blue. But someone, the group or Motown, missed that boat too.