PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes- At Their Best LP

test

Jimi LaLumia
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
putting my vinyl Lps in plastic protectors and threw this on the turntable...
how come they included "Bad Weather", a total chart flop, but not "Automatically Sunshine" which was a U.S. Top 40 'hit"..and why not include the 4 Tops duet on "River Deep Mountain High"?... things that make you go hmmmmm

marybrewster
10-25-2012, 01:31 PM
how come they included "Bad Weather", a total chart flop, but not "Automatically Sunshine" which was a U.S. Top 40 'hit"..and why not include the 4 Tops duet on "River Deep Mountain High"?... things that make you go hmmmmm

This may or may not answer your question; an interesting thread, nonetheless.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?462-Supremes-quot-At-Their-Best-quot-and-quot-Greatest-Hits-and-Rare-Classics-quot

marv2
10-25-2012, 04:14 PM

I don't know , but I enjoyed that album. I bought it and Jean Terrell's solo album in September 1978 right after they were released. I had never thought much about what was left off. I did wonder why no photographs were used.

davidh
10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
i read that the duets were not used because if and when they do , they have to split the royalites 50-50 even if it just one track used. so therefore no duets would be used. you would think that AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE would have been used as ,as u stated was the bigger of the two but suppose they were trying to include songs from each year? i always thought there should have been a Jean led hits lp and then a scherrie led album.
in UK a 16 track album was released which included SUNSHINE,HIGH ENERGY,TOUCH,HES MY MAN. have to look it up to find out exactly what songs .

franjoy56
10-25-2012, 11:03 PM
i read that the duets were not used because if and when they do , they have to split the royalites 50-50 even if it just one track used. so therefore no duets would be used. you would think that AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE would have been used as ,as u stated was the bigger of the two but suppose they were trying to include songs from each year? i always thought there should have been a Jean led hits lp and then a scherrie led album.
in UK a 16 track album was released which included SUNSHINE,HIGH ENERGY,TOUCH,HES MY MAN. have to look it up to find out exactly what songs .
I do not know if there is any link here, but I do remember Mary Wilson sued Motown in 1977 or 1978, this is the same time when this album came out so it does not matter whether a song with her on lead or a song with her in the group makes a difference, but in a nasty move not to publicize anything with her as a lead singer could have been a reason Automatically Sunshine, He's My Man and Touch all had Mary on lead either with Jean and Scherrie. These songs were not included on the album Automatically Sunshine was a bigger hit thann Bad Weather, & iglmhdtw and ymdw go figure.

marv2
10-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Judging by the reaction here by the Soul Train gang, "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" should have been a bigger hit and included in this and every other collection!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUTOgfAMvQ&feature=BFa&list=PL45C38BE07E169966

franjoy56
10-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Judging by the reaction here by the Soul Train gang, "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" should have been a bigger hit and included in this and every other collection!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUTOgfAMvQ&feature=BFa&list=PL45C38BE07E169966

I agree that song was a great number, too bad they didn't sing it in 73 when Jean Mary and Lynda appeared on Soul Train. It did much better on the r & b chart too.#22 to 54 Pop