PDA

View Full Version : New from Ace: Mary Wells “The One Who Really Loves You” / “Two Lovers” on CD

test

keith_hughes
10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Ace Records are pleased to announce the release on December 10 of a CD containing Mary Wells’ second and third Motown LPs, “The One Who Really Loves You” and “Two Lovers And Other Great Hits”. The disc will be in mono – the first release of the mono versions of these albums on CD [[the stereo versions released back in the 90s are now out of print). This is, as always with Ace, a Universal-authorised Motown release, and has been remastered directly from the original album master tapes.

It is a great pleasure for us to be able to help make 2012 a special Mary Wells year, with both the Peter Benjaminson biography of Mary, and the Hip-O clean sweep of her unissued recordings appearing on a double CD, at around the same time.

Following Eddie Holland, Shorty Long and the Spinners, this will be the fourth and final Ace/Motown release of 2012, but our first release of 2013 is already in preparation. And that, taken with unconfirmed rumours from across the ocean, suggest that 2013 is going to be another great year for Motown fans ...

Track list is as follows:
1. The One Who Really Loves You
2. Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right
3. You Beat Me To The Punch
4. I've Got A Notion
5. The Day Will Come
6. Strange Love
7. You're My Desire
8. I'll Still Be Around
9. She Don't Love You
10. Drifting Love
11. Two Lovers
12. Guess Who
13. My 2 Arms - U = Tears
14. Goody-Goody
15. Stop Right Here
16. Laughing Boy
17. Looking Back
18. No Love
19. Was It Worth It
20. Operator

calvin
10-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks Keith, this is great - I will definitely be picking this one up! I'm looking forward to hearing high-quality remastered mono versions of these LPs [[I have the old 80s two-fer versions, which are in stereo). This is a great year for Mary Wells fans!

So was Bye Bye Baby skipped because it's already been released in mono? The two-fer is long out of print and the recent public domain releases - vinyl rips - can't compare to an Ace remaster.

Not to change the subject, but since you mention the Spinners above - I love that cd. Will there be a second one with 2nd Time Around plus more bonus tracks? It would be good to know because 2nd Time Around is only available as a high-price Japanese import - if you're coming out with a second volume I'd wait for yours [[better sound quality, bonus tracks, and a lower price)!

dickiemint
10-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Bump! just as this thead has a track listing, any artwork yet ?

pghmusiclover
10-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Not sure exactly how to add the cover, but here's goes my first try!

pghmusiclover
10-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Is there a way to combine this thread, with this one?

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?7032-Mary-Wells-twofer-coming-out-on-Ace-Kent

brother_love
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Nice cover, Ace always gets it right.

dickiemint
11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Thank you pghmusiclover, right first time, great cover, again another great release on Ace/Kent ! What will they have in store for 2013 for us ? More FANTASTIC releases 4 us I hope.

dickiemint
11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
just looking to pre order this cd on amazon uk and its not listed on the site yet, has there been a delay on this release ?

robbo3333
11-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Didn't the original UK release on Oriole of Two Lovers combine the A side of TOWRLY with the A side of Two Lovers [[put on the B side)? So if you program 1-5 & 11-15, you can make that version.

keith_hughes
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Far as I'm aware, we're on schedule. You can pre-order the CD from Ace, http://acerecords.co.uk/the-one-who-really-loves-you-two-lovers

dickiemint
12-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Every one in the UK don't be too upset that we have to wait till 31st January 2013 for Mary wells lost and found, because next Monday is the release of this fantastic Kent/Ace 2 for 1 The one who really loves you / Two lovers, we can have Miss Wells for Christmas and have more to look forward to for Valentines Day !!!

justanothermotownfan
12-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Does anyone know why in this digital age can we not have a universal way to buy music digitally? A universal iTunes, perhaps? I'm not in the UK but would like to buy lots of British or even Japanese releases [[Motown and non) with alternate tracks not available currently in the US, sharing in the disappointment of my British friends. It's something I really don't understand.

Kamasu_Jr
12-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Not sure exactly how to add the cover, but here's goes my first try!

Got my copy this week. The sound is great and the booklet is terrific. Stop Right Here!

longtimefan
12-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I am puzzled that along with the great SOMETHING NEW, we have new releases of Mary's first three LPS: BYE BYE BABY/I DON'T WANT TO TAKE A CHANGE [[Hallmark) and THE ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU and TWO LOVERS [[Kent). Since "My Guy" was Mary's greatest success, I find it odd that the MY GUY LP is not a part of this schedule. I understand why Hallmark could not get the rights, but why not Kent, Hip-O, Spectrum or --wow -- even Motown! Strike while the iron is hot! My thought would have been an expanded edition of MY GUY with two discs of Lost and Found material. Hmmmmm?

theboyfromxtown
12-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Got my copy this week. The sound is great and the booklet is terrific. Stop Right Here!

What does your dad think of it? Isn't Mary his idol?

Kamasu_Jr
12-15-2012, 08:28 PM
What does your dad think of it? Isn't Mary his idol?

You know he enjoyed it all. He said the illustrations in the book took him back to 1963. He remembers seeing the ad for Mary's Two Lovers LP and Marvin's Stubborn Kind of Fella [[Page 24 in the booklet) in a record store window and wanting the LPs. He also remembers seeing Mary Wells "fan" cards [[Page 6) in a machine at the community Five & Dime store on Grand River. The store was a short distance from Northwestern High School where Mary attended.

sophisticated_soul
01-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Just received my copy today – a perfect way to end the year. Head to toe this package is superb. I have never heard these tracks sound better than these original mono transfers. The sound is crisp and crystal clear - excellent, excellent sound quality. The booklet is a masterpiece on its’ own. Well done with love and respect for the great Mary Wells. Thank you ACE, you knocked this one out of the park!:)

kenneth
01-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Just received my copy today – a perfect way to end the year. Head to toe this package is superb. I have never heard these tracks sound better than these original mono transfers. The sound is crisp and crystal clear - excellent, excellent sound quality. The booklet is a masterpiece on its’ own. Well done with love and respect for the great Mary Wells. Thank you ACE, you knocked this one out of the park!:)

I think Ace is unsurpassed on its transfers to digital. Even on these very old recordings, and even on some older ones from the King/Federal/Deluxe catalog, the sound is amazing. Always crisp, as you say, immediate sounding...never muddy or muted.

I have never been disappointed in an Ace release. Even if the material might have been less than great, the sound quality is superb.

I guess based on your recommendation, I'll have to buy these even though they offer no new or rare tracks.

sophisticated_soul
01-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I think Ace is unsurpassed on its transfers to digital. Even on these very old recordings, and even on some older ones from the King/Federal/Deluxe catalog, the sound is amazing. Always crisp, as you say, immediate sounding...never muddy or muted.

I have never been disappointed in an Ace release. Even if the material might have been less than great, the sound quality is superb.

I guess based on your recommendation, I'll have to buy these even though they offer no new or rare tracks.

If you like Mary Wells and you like quality sound, I don't think you will be disappointed. I had both of these albums [[mono) as a young'un and they just never sounded this good, and that's enough for me. I'm probably in the minority but bonus tracks just don't mean that much to me.

kenneth
01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
If you like Mary Wells and you like quality sound, I don't think you will be disappointed. I had both of these albums [[mono) as a young'un and they just never sounded this good, and that's enough for me. I'm probably in the minority but bonus tracks just don't mean that much to me.

I'm sure I will...thanks.

Kamasu_Jr
01-02-2013, 06:36 AM
I've heard that the Hallmark release of The One Who Really Loves You album will be the stereo mix. Can anyone confirm this?

motony
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
who wrote the booklet?

sophisticated_soul
01-02-2013, 03:41 PM
who wrote the booklet?

Keith Hughes

keith_hughes
01-02-2013, 07:27 PM
... who writes here again to credit Nick Robbins for the fantastic mastering job he did on this CD - both he and Duncan Cowell have served the Motown Legacy superbly in this series of CDs.

It was interesting to hear the flat digital rundowns of the album master tapes, before they were handed on to Nick for mastering. They were in practically mint condition. I wondered if anyone had even listened to them since the days when the albums were first issued.