PDA

View Full Version : Peter Benjaminson's book on Mary Wells

test

BayouMotownMan
10-13-2012, 08:55 PM
The book is out and I'm only a third way through it but it is excellent. Will post more when I finish it later this weekend.

Special shout-out to the Russi brothers who participated. Great stuff guys

Roberta75
10-14-2012, 12:03 AM
The book is out and I'm only a third way through it but it is excellent. Will post more when I finish it later this weekend.

Special shout-out to the Russi brothers who participated. Great stuff guys

That is good to know BayouMotownMan. I tried to get this book on kindle but it's only available in hardback. If the kindle version doesn't come out soon I'll go ahead and buy the hardback. I like the kindle as it's lighter and easier to carry on the bus which is where I do most of my reading.

I've been looking forward to this book and I'm glad to hear you say its excellent as I thought the author's Flo Ballard book was slow and repetitive IMO.

Best to you.

Roberta

franjoy56
10-14-2012, 01:44 AM
i will be waiting for the book to come out on the nook which i where i have stored two of my books of late
Dionne Warwick and the Ed Sullivan Impressario books and the ereader is no easy to carry.

randy_russi
10-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I do have the book and thanks for the praise as it is a project I have wanted to come to
light for a long time. Peter Benjaminson really did a great job researching.

BayouMotownMan
10-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Randy, email me when u can. Brthtkgguy@aol.com

randy_russi
10-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Will do, BayouMotownMan.

Kamasu_Jr
10-16-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm reading the biography as well. I'm almost finished with it. I know how it ends, depressing. But I'm hanging in there with it. A shout out to the Russi Brothers from me too. How many Russi brothers are there. I thought it was just two, but see three pictured in the book.

motony
10-16-2012, 08:56 AM
hey, kamasu, Jr & bayouman...yes, there are 3 of us Russi bros with Rick being the youngest, he was 16 in that pix.There are some inaccuracies in the book that are being pointed out to the author...wish we had gotten an advance copy.I also wished that Cecil Womack & Marys children [[Meech, Stacy,Shorty, & Sugar) had participated. Alot of the sales figures quoted were from Motown Sales people during the summer of '64 court battle where they tried to downplay Marys importance to the label.I will adress more as time permits.

Kamasu_Jr
10-16-2012, 09:02 AM
hey, kamasu, Jr & bayouman...yes, there are 3 of us Russi bros with Rick being the youngest, he was 16 in that pix.There are some inaccuracies in the book that are being pointed out to the author...wish we had gotten an advance copy.I also wished that Cecil Womack & Marys children [[Meech, Stacy,Shorty, & Sugar) had participated. Alot of the sales figures quoted were from Motown Sales people during the summer of '64 court battle where they tried to downplay Marys importance to the label.I will adress more as time permits.

Tony, I noticed some errors too, but didn't want to point them out because Peter Benjaminson seems like such a nice guy. He wouldn't use the f-word in direct quotes. Curtis Womack comes off looking quite good in the book. Is that because he was interviewed and got to tell his side? Yes, observations from Mary's children and Cecil Womack would have helped. Gosh, I kinda feel sorry for Cecil. Mary had to grow to love him and then dumped him for his brother. Some people still can't get over that. My dad is waiting to read the book. I'll give it to him later today. You know Mary Wells is his goddess. One of the few fan letters he ever wrote was to her. He says he knows she got it and it probably embarrassed her because he held her in such high esteem, still does.

marybrewster
10-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear that none of Mary's children participated in this book. Imagine what a well-rounded biography this could have been.

And with all due respect, am shaking my head on hearing that there are factual errors in the book. Ms. Wells certainly deserves the truth being told.

Kamasu_Jr
10-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Sorry to hear that none of Mary's children participated in this book. Imagine what a well-rounded biography this could have been.

And with all due respect, am shaking my head on hearing that there are factual errors in the book. Ms. Wells certainly deserves the truth being told.

Tony probably knows more of the major errors more than I, but I saw small things like Mary's version of Whisper You Love Me Boy was never released or released after Chris Clark covered it. That's definitely wrong. To me, no matter what she did, Mary Wells still comes off as "a lady."

motony
10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
My family was close with Mary & Cecil from the time they moved to Florida in early 71 until I came home from Ca, in Dec. '76 we were together alot, weekly, daily..I lived with them in Ca. Mary & Cecil were CLOSE, I never ever heard them argue or be anything other then loving to each other.It was a shock to me when they separated in 77 & a real shock to me when Mary showed up with Curtis in 81 & when Curtis got out of my car to go buy cigs, I looked at Mary & said whats goin on & she jus laughed and said "i know you think I'm crazy". I mean I love Curtis, like I love the whole family but even Mary told me when I was in Ca. that she would never get involved with a player like him.LOL. You know, we all go through changes but I had no idea about the drugscause Mary & Cecil didn't even drink & I blame Marys involvement on Curt & shes not alive to give her side of that.

motony
10-16-2012, 10:14 AM
you know alot of people think they are suppose to get paid for giving authors interviews.If its a public figure anybody can write a book about them....if its somebody you care about I want to make sure its truthfuil as much as possible.

Kamasu_Jr
10-16-2012, 12:38 PM
you know alot of people think they are suppose to get paid for giving authors interviews.If its a public figure anybody can write a book about them....if its somebody you care about I want to make sure its truthfuil as much as possible.

I agree with you. I'd want the truth to get told.

BayouMotownMan
10-16-2012, 01:11 PM
The factual errors I've encountered are minor, such as the Whisper claim. The Supremes did not sing backup on He's The One I Love. Larkin Arnold is once referred to as Arnold Larkin and I seriously Tony Turner ever met Mary until the 80s

BayouMotownMan
10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
seriously doubt Tony Turner...

motony
10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
yea, the thing about Bye Bye Baby being the only song written by Mary...she wrote "Drifting Love" by herself on the One That Really Loves You LP & wrote Stop Right Here with Melvin Franklin on Two Lovers LP meaning the only songs she wrote released on Motown. I think Peter did a wonderful job... alot of people that would have been hip to alot of facts,dee jays, record distributors are deceased.When the Top Records of 1964 were first announced "My Guy" was #7 for the year, when it came out in print it dropped to #17 for the year....verystrange since it was #1 POP for 2 weeks, #1 R&B for 7 weeks.That Motown sales people argued in court that it only sold 603,000, but yet had indeed sold 200,000. just in England was laughable. In the 80's at the Hard Rock Cafe at Universal Orlando was an RIAA Gold 45 of "My Guy" on the Motown YesterYear Series Label for 1,000,000.sales...I took a photo & sent it to Mary[[after I tried unsuccessfully to pull it off the wall,LOL)

randy_russi
10-16-2012, 05:12 PM
marybrewster, there are no actual factual errors about Mary's overall story. As mentioned
above, errors are minor--spellings of names or places, releases of certain songs.
I have noted and forwarded all I am aware of, including those mentioned above to
P. Benjaminson.
Yes, Curtis Womack was interviewed extensively as you will read. Cecil never responded
or just couldn't be located.
Sad storyof how drugs ruined another great talent and a once very lovely lady.

midnightman
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Well Cecil lives somewhere in Africa with Linda Womack so of course he couldn't be reached lol but nice on some of the stuff revealed in the book.

marybrewster
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
marybrewster, there are no actual factual errors about Mary's overall story. As mentioned
above, errors are minor--spellings of names or places, releases of certain songs.
I have noted and forwarded all I am aware of, including those mentioned above to
P. Benjaminson.

Thank you Randy!

woodward
10-17-2012, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=marybrewster;127373]Sorry to hear that none of Mary's children participated in this book. Imagine what a well-rounded biography this could have been.

The only comment I can make on none of her children participating in this book, is why would they? I recall hearing that they are planning to do their own book on her. I wouldn't hold my breath on it though, I don't foresee it happening. Look how long it took this book to finally get published, most listeners who remember Mary from the beginning will no longer be alive if it takes that long for the children's book to get into print.

midnightman
10-17-2012, 06:34 PM
^ Exactly. I doubt they'll pull it out. Didn't David Ruffin's son said he was trying to write a book about his father years ago?

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2012, 06:10 AM
Who is [[or was) Esther White Harrigan? The book is dedicated to her along with Mary.

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2012, 03:33 PM
fyi

Eamonn Andrews show - 1 Nov 1964
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767109/

Thank Your Lucky Stars 24 Nov 1964
http://www.tv.com/shows/thank-your-lucky-stars-uk/october-24-1964-972617/

Was Sylvester Potts interviewed about Mary?

hwume
11-06-2012, 03:58 PM
<snip> yea, the thing about Bye Bye Baby being the only song written by Mary...she wrote "Drifting Love" by herself on the One That Really Loves You LP & wrote Stop Right Here with Melvin Franklin on Two Lovers LP meaning the only songs she wrote released on Motown. <snip>

Mary also wrote a few songs that were not released - in addition to "My Heart Is Like A Clock," which Mary wrote with Smokey and was issued on 'Looking Back,' the new Lost & Found set includes two songs she co-authored with Sylvester Potts of the Contours, "Have A Little Patience [[And Wait)" and "Free From Your Spell."

One of those tunes has a brief bonus on the forthcoming CD: Sylvester, who produced the songs, doing the countdown plus a tiny bit more. Xtown, it's hardly an interview but it is a little something to give us all a peek inside a moment at the Snakepit.

In addition to discovering new MW copyrights, the songs are an example of a rare instance where an early 1960s artist - Potts - had a producer contract as well. With all of the hullabaloo and mystery surrounding Marvin Gaye getting a producer contract long after his first hits, I wonder who else besides Sylvester and Smokey could claim to have ticks in both boxes at this time.

captainjames
11-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I am still enjoying the book and its a good write. One thing so far that I found interesting was the statement about Berry Gordy offering her half of Motown to stay.

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
James

You're a quick reader....I'm not up to that page yet! LOL

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I just read that the intro to Canadian Sunset was borrowed for My Guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LqH4Aq7Rk

captainjames
11-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey John
I could not put the book down for a long time and now I have to vote. I miss seeing you around. We need to chat and perhaps plan a visit and catch up !!!

randy_russi
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't think Peter spoke to Sylvester Potts although I am sure I told him of their
collaborations. Glad those songs are finally going to be issued.

sophisticated_soul
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Another one of those minor errors. On page 38 Ronettes is spelled with two n's.

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I only mention this here as I am addressing dedicated fans who like to debate minor points of detail.

Page 74 - "The Beatles invited Wells......making her the first Motown act to perform in England."

In the next paragraph, that tour commenced "beginning October 9 and ending November 10"

Jump to page 94......"On October 5 1964, exactly thirty-one days.......contract became null and void"

Hardly any of us Brits would have known it for sure but in point of fact, Mary wasn't officially a Motown artist when she commenced the Beatles tour.

If you look at old threads on SDF, I think Bankhouse Dave concluded that Kim Weston was the first Motown artist to tour Britain.

Just wanted to mention this whilst it was fresh in my mind.

I'm looking forward to reading more......and I hope all you guys out there are supporting fellow SDF members by buying this book.

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Another one of those minor errors. On page 38 Ronettes is spelled with two n's.

LOL at Joseph....

When I was reading that section......I was surprised that the Marvelettes Please Me Postman didn't figure in the discussion, yet it referred to later tracks from Spector and the Shangri-Las.

sophisticated_soul
11-06-2012, 08:29 PM
LOL at Joseph....

When I was reading that section......I was surprised that the Marvelettes Please Me Postman didn't figure in the discussion, yet it referred to later tracks from Spector and the Shangri-Las.

Hey John, also in that section "A number of the groups, including the Shirelles, the Blossoms, the Dixie Cups, and the Exciters, consistented entirely of black women. . ." Must have come as a suprise to Herb Rooney [[being a man) of the Exciters. Another small detail perhaps, but a little proof reading goes a long way.:) And yes I did buy the book.

theboyfromxtown
11-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Page 99 - When Chris Clark rerecorded the Wells tune "Whisper You Love Me Boy".....Motown did not issue Mary's version of "Whisper You Love Me Boy" until after Mary's death."

Page 266 Mary Wells Sings My Guy......5/1964....features "Whisper you Love Me Boy"

sophisticated_soul
11-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Page 99 - When Chris Clark rerecorded the Wells tune "Whisper You Love Me Boy".....Motown did not issue Mary's version of "Whisper You Love Me Boy" until after Mary's death."

Page 266 Mary Wells Sings My Guy......5/1964....features "Whisper you Love Me Boy"

I think that paradox bothers me the most. It's such a specific statement and so completely inaccurate. "Whisper" was not only not released after her death, it was released before she left Motown. While I am very grateful this book made it to print, IMO errors like that make his research seem more surface and less thorough.

luke
11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Im enjoying the book overall but so much of Unsung is constantly quoted. So far[[p170) I really havent learned much new except for the intricacies of Marys personal relationships.