PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Make a Tribute Album to Diana Ross

test

Koach
10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
If you could choose between a legendary artist or a newcome rto do a tribute album to the great career of Diana Ross, who would be your choice? Also, what songs would be included? My pick from one of D.R.’s peers would probably be Barbra Streisand, as the two of them have been compared so many times. I’d really like to hear her take on Ross’s music. As for newcomers, there’s a new girl out there named Bri Heart, who sings many types of songs beautifully. I’d include songs from eras of D.R.’s career: The Supremes Through Every Day is a New Day.

smark21
10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Brandon Flowers

Roberta75
10-11-2012, 08:38 PM
The First Lady of Motown Records, Miss Martha Reeves would be my first choice.

I think she could really rework those Diane Ross classics yet put her own style in them.

Roberta

bradsupremes
10-11-2012, 09:22 PM
"Martha Reeves Yodels Diana Ross Classics!"

jobeterob
10-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Beyonce & Rhianna

marv2
10-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd pick Busta Rhymes.

Glenpwood
10-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Why not just take all the covers of songs artists have already done of her solo material and compile them? Such as...

Whitney Houston & Teddy Pendergrass - Hold Me aka In Your Arms
Shirley Caesar - Reach Out And Touch [[Somebodys Hand)
Vicki Carr - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Andy Williams - Touch Me In The Morning
5th Dimension - Love Hangover
Aretha Franklin - It's My Turn
The Braxtons - The Boss
Mariah carey - Theme From Mahogany
Amerie - I'm Coming Out
Dottie West - Last Time I Saw Him
Steps - Chain Reaction
Julio Iglesias - When You Tell Me That You Love Me
Club 69 - Muscles
Mariah & Luther Vandross - Endless Love
Valerie Simpson - Remember Me [[Demo)

carlo
10-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Shantel Baker and Pearlie Salters

ExGuyParis
10-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I think Randy Crawford could do it. She has a fantastic voice [[and I've never understood why she is so under-appreciated in the US). Saw her perform last year; unlike some of her peers, she has maintained her perfect voice.

http://youtu.be/hfA1jJDilps

arrr&bee
10-13-2012, 12:06 PM
What has diana done to deserve a tribute album???

marybrewster
10-16-2012, 09:37 AM
What has diana done to deserve a tribute album???

LOL.

I'd much rather see Diana just release an album of new material. Mary's should be out any day now; I believe it was mentioned October?

jack020
10-17-2012, 01:43 AM
I always thought Diana covered Love Hangover after the 5th Dimension released it.

reese
10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
I always thought Diana covered Love Hangover after the 5th Dimension released it.

Diana's was recorded and released first, but only as an album track. Once the Fifth Dimension put out their version, Motown released Diana's as a single.

skooldem1
10-20-2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hukDJufd4&feature=fvwrel

imnokid
10-21-2012, 03:14 PM
How about Bettye LaVette! ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N78CJIT1RI

R. Mark Desjardins
10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
After giving this topic much thought, I came up with this off the wall suggestion. Diana Ross recordings are unique and a musical tribute trying to "recreate" the originals would be pointless. Perhaps a left field choice, at least in my opinion, would be having Macy Gray add her own unique spin to iconic Ross recordings.

While Macy may not be interested in such a project proposal, her upcoming release coming at the end of October is a tribute to the 40th anniversary of Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" album. I must also add that Jody Watley did a very good version of "Love Hangover" a few years back and could also do a wonderful job.

I once heard a radio interview with Marianne Faithful stating that she rerecorded "As Tears Go By" some 40 years after she first sang it, because now she had the life experience to bring real emotion to the lyrics Mick Jaggar had written for her. I treasure a Lamont Dozier compact disc where he sings many of his iconic H-D-H era compositions, which feature stripped down arrangements. With this almost acoustic approach and the male voice, the songs take on an entirely new persona.

Most likely, Diana would prefer to look forward, rather than looking backwards in the rearview mirror of her life. However, imagine for a moment what she could bring to "Reflections," "My World Is Empty Without You," and "Where Did Our Love Go." revisiting the songs of her youth, but with the life wisdom she has gained.

That said, I usually feel disappointed with "cover tribute" albums. Maybe the reality is that you can't do justice to the music of the iconic voices - Billie, Aretha, Diana, etc.

skooldem1
10-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Good choice. Diana Ross is Macy Gray's idol.

luke
10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Randy Crawford is a good suggestion. And I loved Erika Bydu's[[Sp?) Love Hangover on BET.