PDA

View Full Version : DRATS: "Let the Sun Shine In" LP

test

longtimefan
10-06-2012, 08:05 PM
What tracks by Diana Ross and The Supremes were recorded during the same time period as those found on the "Let the Sun Shine In" LP but not actually included on the album [[i.e., released on later compilations as bonus tracks)? Thanks!

johnny_raven
10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Those Precious Memories
Are You Sure Love Is The Name Of This Game
Stormy
You're Gonna Hear From Me
The Beginning Of The End
Canadian Sunset
Autumn Leaves
The Look Of Love

nathanj06
10-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Speaking of this album, I always wondered why "No Matter What Sign You Are" had that little glitch close to the beginning of the song. It's like the sound went out for a split second.

franjoy56
10-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Speaking of this album, I always wondered why "No Matter What Sign You Are" had that little glitch close to the beginning of the song. It's like the sound went out for a split second.

I love that song "No Matter What Sign You Are" should have been pushed into the top ten it is joyous jubilation of how Ross felt about Berry Gordy [[or was it) i thought the Supremes were fabulous until i found out it was the Andantes, but the Supremes appearance on the Ed Sullivan May 10, 1969 nailed it as if the A's didn't even exist even though it was lip synched The Supremes pulled it off.

nathanj06
10-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Agree franjoy. I loved that song and played it over and over until it turned gray and then I bought another one. Some saw it as a novelty but I never did. Loved the music, especially the sitar and Diana's great vocal. I thought it very clever how they used the zodiac signs in the lyrics. Very fitting for that summer of 1969. Love the majority of The Supremes songs but this one and "Nathan Jones" got played the most. I had three copies of that one at one point.

antceleb12
10-07-2012, 09:53 AM
MacArthur Park
Over the Rainbow
In the Evening of Our Love

I believe these were recorded around that time, too.

longtimefan
10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the idea lists! I still researching if other ideas pop up! :-)

davidh
10-07-2012, 10:23 PM
wish they would have kept the original title for the album NO MATTER WHAT SIGN... as it matched the cover art and SUNSHINE was a hit for another group. i thought the album was all the outakes from previous recrding dates with a few new singles included.liked CREAM OF THE CROP better.

honest man
10-08-2012, 12:20 PM
ok i have tried and asked this question before on SDF does anyone have any idea what were the older recorded songs on this album and Cream of crop I KNOW 2 Blowin in wind ,Let the music play, where all other songs from 68-69 period,cheers.

JohnnyB
10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
ok i have tried and asked this question before on SDF does anyone have any idea what were the older recorded songs on this album and Cream of crop I KNOW 2 Blowin in wind ,Let the music play, where all other songs from 68-69 period,cheers.

I was under the impression that What Becomes of the Broken Hearted was recorded earlier as well.

carole cucumber
10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Mary Wilson's Itinerary lists the following months for recording of [[and I 'm using month because the dates Mary uses are often the date the band track was recorded)

Blowin' In the Wind March 1966
What Becomes of the Broken Hearted July 1966
With A Child's Heart July 1966
[Not in Mary's itinerary: Let the Music Play June 1966]

When It's To the Top March 1968
The Beginning of the End March 1968/rerecorded March 1969
Will This Be the Day April 1968 [[Mary incorrectly states that this song was on Love Child album)
I'm So Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around) August 1968/rerecorded October 1968/rerecorded December 1968
Shadows of Society October 1968

Love Child album issued November 1968

December 1968: the Young Folks I'm Living In Shame The Composer
January 1969: Everyday People Western Union Man Hey Jude
March 1969: Discover Me [[And You'll Discover Love)

lakedistrictlad1
10-09-2012, 09:00 AM

Nathan I seem to remember this issue been discussed here once before. I seem to remember it had something to do with the original master tape being damaged - but this drop out has been rectified by using another source master. Newer cd's with this song have the clean version. I recently checked my Japanese cd edition of the album - and it has the clean, non drop out version.

honest man
10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
carolecucumber ha, thank you for recording info wanted to know that for long time, do you think you could also breakdown CREAM OF CROP recordings for me, don' think im cheeky, hope not, thank you CC.

longtimefan
10-14-2012, 07:44 PM
We know that LET THE MUSIC PLAY was recorded in 1966 and included in the LET THE SUNSHINE IN album in May 1969, thus including Florence.

Is it correct that two other tracks from this LP were ALSO recorde din 1966, i..e., WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN HEARTED and WITH A CHILD'S HEART?

nathanj06
10-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Nathan I seem to remember this issue been discussed here once before. I seem to remember it had something to do with the original master tape being damaged - but this drop out has been rectified by using another source master. Newer cd's with this song have the clean version. I recently checked my Japanese cd edition of the album - and it has the clean, non drop out version.

Thanks lakedistrictlad1. I remember back then I thought I was the only one who got a copy of the album like that and perhaps defective [[which it was) but I let it go. However, the 45 mono version was fine which I would assume was on another tape??? I don't know the biz. The stereo version from Supremes/Neil Diamond, It's Happening album that was issued on the 2000 box set is much cleaner and no defect. I guess my question on that would be why didn't they use that take rather than the defective one being from around that time frame? An oversight perhaps. I wonder if Motown "proof listened" to the recordings after they were pressed. Anyway, I love the vocal by Diana and would love to hear just the instrumental track. Thanks! :)

longtimefan
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
We know that LET THE MUSIC PLAY was recorded in 1966 and included in the LET THE SUNSHINE IN album in May 1969, thus including Florence.

Is it correct that two other tracks from this LP were ALSO recorde din 1966, i..e., WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN HEARTED and WITH A CHILD'S HEART?

I just discovered that "Don't Forget the Motor City" indicates that both WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN HEARTED and WITH A CHILD'S HEART were recorded in 1966. Is that really so?

If so, that means that 3 of the 12 tracks on this album were 2+ years old.