PDA

View Full Version : The Marvelettes finally nominated for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

test

midnightman
10-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Rush, Public Enemy among Rock Hall of Fame noms

By CHRIS TALBOTT, AP Music Writer – 6 minutes ago

Rush, Deep Purple, Public Enemy and N.W.A. are among the group of first-time nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They join returnees Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Kraftwerk among the 15 artists vying for entry.

Even in the iPod age, the list of nominees up for induction in 2013 is as eclectic as they come. Nominees differ wildly in sound, origin and influence, ranging from the enduring prog rock of Canadian trio Rush and Procul Harum to German proto-electronica act Kraftwerk, the disco of Chic and Summer to the New Orleans funk of The Meters and the blues of Albert King and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

Motown also is represented by first-ballot entries The Marvelettes.

Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, acknowledged the extreme variety of this year's nominee class in a Thursday news release.

"The definition of 'rock and roll' means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music," Peresman said. "This year we again proudly put forth a fantastic array of groups and artists that span the entire genre that is 'rock and roll.'"

A group of 600 artists, music historians and members of the industry will choose 2013's inductees. They will be honored April 18 in Los Angeles.

It's the sixth time on the ballot for Summer, but the first since her death in May at age 63. Chic is on the ballot for the seventh time since 2003.

On the Net:
http://rockhall.com

Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

milven
10-04-2012, 12:34 AM
That's good news. They should have been inducted decades ago. I'd also like to see Chic and Donna make it in. I'm surprised at Kraftwork nomination. I'm sure they've had other hits, but the only song I'm familiar with is Trans Europe Express

midnightman
10-04-2012, 01:19 AM
^ Kraftwerk were nominated for virtually inventing electronica so their nomination is understood.

johnny_raven
10-04-2012, 01:30 AM
The first Kraftwerk song I remember listening to was "Numbers" in 1981

Kamasu_Jr
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
All that publicity, attention and respect the Marvelettes got this year finally made the nominating committee take notice. Since they are first time nominees, they might not make it in. Most likely Donna Summer may finally get inducted, but this time on sympathy when she deserved it several years ago. May she rest in peace.

brother_love
10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Be sure to cast your votes for The Marvelettes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vote-for-the-2013-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-20121004

Kamasu_Jr
10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately, the public doesn't decide who gets inducted.

satipe
10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I just spoke to Kat and she was shocked to hear about the nomination as while having her morning coffee, she received a phone call from a reporter asking for her reaction. She thought it was a joke at first but is absolutely thrilled!

This year, the public does have a say as they are allowed to vote at the site Brother_Love listed:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ctees-20121004

Kat has asked me to ask all of you to vote for The Marvelettes and she said that you are allowed to vote as many times as you want to.

Let's finally get them in....

smark21
10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
I put in votes for The Marvelettes, Heart, Chic, Donna Summer and Albert King.

satipe
10-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Sorry,

Or you can vote at:

http://rockhall.com/

marv2
10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Although I am very happy that the Marvelettes have finally been nominated, I am also a bit disappointed. They have been eligible to go into the Rock Hall for over 25 years now. I would have loved to seen Gladys Horton especially receive the award.

marv2
10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
The first Kraftwerk song I remember listening to was "Numbers" in 1981

My earliest memory of Kraftwerk was their monster dance hit "Trans-Europe Express" from 1977-78. It was a staple at parties back then.

smark21
10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Here’s an article explaining how the public vote factors in the balloting. Essentially the public vote will count for one vote among the 600 ballots cast. The top five acts when the poll closes will essentially get one vote each. Right now, Rush, Deep Purple, Heart, Albert King, and Joan Jett are the top 5, but the poll won’t close until December. I suspect The Marvelettes will have a hard time cracking the top 5.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rush-public-enemy-and-many-others-nominated-for-ro,86242/

jobeterob
10-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Yah for the Marvelettes.

Those dorks at the RRHOF should be embarrassed for waiting until Donna Summer and some of the Marvelettes are deceased.

midnightman
10-05-2012, 03:38 AM
All that publicity, attention and respect the Marvelettes got this year finally made the nominating committee take notice. Since they are first time nominees, they might not make it in. Most likely Donna Summer may finally get inducted, but this time on sympathy when she deserved it several years ago. May she rest in peace.

I said earlier this year Donna would get in for a sympathy vote. And while you're right in assuming they may not get in, I'm just glad they were finally recognized at all.

Roberta75
10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
I hope the Marvelettes get inducted it would be the right thing to do and a lovely tribute to ms. Gladys Horton who passed away last year and is now residing in that glorious mansion with her Heavenly Father and beloved sister in music Ms. Donna Summer who should also be inducted.

Have a blessed Friday everyone.

Roberta

Kamasu_Jr
10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I just spoke to Kat and she was shocked to hear about the nomination as while having her morning coffee, she received a phone call from a reporter asking for her reaction. She thought it was a joke at first but is absolutely thrilled!

This year, the public does have a say as they are allowed to vote at the site Brother_Love listed:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ctees-20121004

Kat has asked me to ask all of you to vote for The Marvelettes and she said that you are allowed to vote as many times as you want to.

Let's finally get them in....

I hope the Marvelettes make it in. But on CBS' early morning news program, they covered the RRHOF nominees and didn't even mention the Marvelettes, choosing to focus on RUSH, Deep Purple, NWA and Public Enemy.

Kamasu_Jr
10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Here’s an article explaining how the public vote factors in the balloting. Essentially the public vote will count for one vote among the 600 ballots cast. The top five acts when the poll closes will essentially get one vote each. Right now, Rush, Deep Purple, Heart, Albert King, and Joan Jett are the top 5, but the poll won’t close until December. I suspect The Marvelettes will have a hard time cracking the top 5.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rush-public-enemy-and-many-others-nominated-for-ro,86242/

I thought so. The public voting does not factor in very much.

luke
10-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I felt the same thing about Gladys. This would have meant so much to her. Im so glad they have been nominated.