PDA

View Full Version : Sweet motown harmony...who's the best-temptations...miracles...four tops???

test

arrr&bee
09-29-2012, 10:56 AM
I'll bet you a new case of hooch[hehe]that most motown folks would choose the temps and ya'll know me...ahhh but i'm gonna spring this on ya i've seen both of these legends live many times and i give the edge to the[drumroll]...four tops,yes i said it the harmony from-levi-duke-lawrence-obie is tops but that's just my opinion what's your?

marv2
09-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Ooooh! Don't even try it! LOL! No one does harmony better than the Four Tops. This is not a fair comparison.

arrr&bee
09-29-2012, 11:44 AM
ooooh! Don't even try it! Lol! No one does harmony better than the four tops. This is not a fair comparison.haaaaaaaaa,hey marv,great minds think alike,but let's hear from some other folk!!!

gary
09-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Marv and arr&bee...I beg to disagree, my friends.

It's the Classic 5 Temptations, no contest.

marv2
09-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Marv and arr&bee...I beg to disagree, my friends.

It's the Classic 5 Temptations, no contest.

Are you serious? I mean are you really serious? The Four Tops had the tightest harmonies in Modern R&B. That was their forte and it is clearly evident in many of their recordings and live appearances. The Temptations were good at ensemble where each guy sings a different part [[the Tops were good at that too "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got"). but the Tops ruled when it came to the harmonies.

arrr&bee
09-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Of course the four tops had the advantage of having been together since the fifties with the same personel.

marv2
09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Of course the four tops had the advantage of having been together since the fifties with the same personel.

Very true and I'll acknowledge that fact.

ralpht
09-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure if it is a question as to who was better. The two were very distinctive groups with a developed sound that worked for them. Apples and oranges. Both superb.

smark21
09-29-2012, 02:29 PM
The Originals were not exactly slouches either. They had a great group sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXKcl4lh55o

gary
09-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Are you serious? I mean are you really serious? The Four Tops had the tightest harmonies in Modern R&B. That was their forte and it is clearly evident in many of their recordings and live appearances. The Temptations were good at ensemble where each guy sings a different part [[the Tops were good at that too "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got"). but the Tops ruled when it came to the harmonies.

Yeah I'm serious. I mean I am really serious.

bradsupremes
09-29-2012, 09:19 PM
For me, it's the Four Tops. They had the tightest harmonies. Just give their version of "The Look of Love" a spin and you'll see. I love the Temptations, but the Four Tops' harmonies had the edge.

marv2
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah I'm serious. I mean I am really serious.

Gary! hehehehehehehehe...ok man.

marv2
09-29-2012, 11:03 PM
The Originals were not exactly slouches either. They had a great group sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXKcl4lh55o

The Originals were good, in fact excellent on certain material. The Four Tops stood out because they sounded great on ANY material! Songs as diverse as "MacArthur Park" to "Catfish", from "Climb Every Mountain" to "Sexy Ways". They were just BADDDD!

144man
09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
I've also seen the Tops, Temptations and Miracles live and agree that the Tops were the best for harmony.