PDA

View Full Version : Diana's AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

test

milven
09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
From high to higher
By Mario Constantino Staff writer Calkins Media, Inc.

Is it possible to take a great record and make it even greater?

As sure as mountains are high and valleys are low.

A textbook example is the Motown classic “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” which was written by husband-and-wife team Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson. It was the first of numerous hit duets written by the pair for Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, who reached No. 19 on the Billboard pop chart with it.

The song was considered a landmark recording in 1967, but three years later, Ashford and Simpson, who were producing as well as writing for the label, were given the opportunity to help launch Diana Ross’ solo career and took “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” to an even higher peak.

Ross had left the Supremes the year before, and although she was the darling — and lover — of Motown honcho Berry Gordy Jr., she wasn’t doing nearly as well as her former act, which had already hit No. 10 on the charts with new lead singer Jean Terrell and “Up the Ladder to the Roof.”

Ashford and Simpson were inspired by Stax legend Isaac Hayes, who at the time was taking short pop hits such as “Walk on By” and “By the Time I Get to Phoenix” and turning them into extended R&B workouts. They wanted to do the same, and Diana Ross was their test case.

“I loved Diana Ross’ speaking voice. I thought she had a very sexy tone when she talked and when she sang. So we wrote extra lyrics, trying to stretch it out,” said Ashford, who passed away in 2011. “And Val came up with these new chords. That was one of our best assignments, trying to get that song to where it is. And I think still today, her version just feels like a masterpiece to me.”

The song was transformed from an upbeat 2:28 pop charmer to a mesmerizing 6:16 stunner, featuring strings, extended spoken verses, and gospel-like backing vocals at the climax.

Ashford and Simpson were delighted. Berry Gordy was not. The song was too long to be a single, and the chorus did not begin until the 4:20 mark, which was unheard of. Gordy wanted the chorus in the beginning. He refused to release it, and a standoff ensued.

“We presented it to him, and he wanted to change the whole thing around and start with the chorus and forget all the slow build and drama, just to get to the point,” Simpson said. “We had to fight him on that, because he really wanted to change it.”

But the song was so strong — it features Simpson on piano and backing vocals — that disc jockeys started making their own radio-friendly edits of the album track. Motown finally relented and released an official edited single that soared to the top two months after its release and stayed there for three weeks [[including the last week of September 1970), earning a Grammy nomination.

Motown Eddie
09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
I've always thought that Ashford & Simpson were influenced by the work of Isaac Hayes with their remake of 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' with Diana Ross and this article proves it. It's also interesting to note there was a standoff between Gordy & A&S about the song. History has shown that A&S made the right call since this would be Diana Ross' first major hit as a solo act [[and it has remained one her best songs over the years). I first remember hearing the full-length album version of 'Mountain' on WMCA in the summer of 1970 just before the edited single was released. Loved it then and still do now.

jobeterob
09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
ANMHE could easily be the definitive Diana signature tune; its in there with Stop in the Name of Love, Endless Love, Baby Love etc.

captainjames
09-27-2012, 12:32 PM
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was definitely the right move to make on everyone's' part to lift Diana career higher. It is easily identified as part of her signature songs. Berry Gordy was dead on to assigned Ashford and Simpson to Diana at this time. It was a winning combination that he should have stayed with but he wanted to broaden her career I am sure. I don't think Motown knew what to release as her first song, I heard "Someday" was initially suppose to be it then I heard "These Things Will keep Me Loving You" would be it and then out of no where came "Reach Out". It was surprising because Diana was pushing "Something's On My Mind" from her Lets see if Diana Can Make it alone show. I think the Public won out and wanted ANMHE more than anything else after hearing the LP.

bradsupremes
09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I heard "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" was the choice for her first single after "Someday" was decided to be Diana's last single with the Supremes. It probably a decision due to the fact that "These Things" sounded similar to "Someday" in which it has Johnny Bristol singing behind her. The funny thing is that Diana's version of "These Things" was originally assigned to the Supremes.

jobeterob
09-27-2012, 01:28 PM
One of the big moments at a Diana Concert is the bridge between Do You Know Where You're Going To and Ain't No Mountain High Enough ~ it is almost guaranteed to make the crowd stand.

skooldem1
09-27-2012, 01:40 PM
There was a touching TV moment last week on Good Morning America. Robin Roberts was in the hospital getting prepped for surgery. She had her sister and close friends in the room with her. They were her support team and were there for inspiration. Well, they all broke out singing ANMHE. Its seemes that this must be one of Robins favorite songs.

soulwally
09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Definitely one of Diana's best performances. But the version that really makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up is the Funk Brothers' backing track as heard on Standing In The Shadows of Motown... almost their last hurrah, as the album's notes state. Of course none of this would have been possible without the brilliance of Ashford and Simpson's vision.

skooldem1
09-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I agree. The instrumental track is fantastic. I have always loved that about this song. It is a song that I consider to be a pop music masterpiece. Also fun is the acapella version with just Diana.

jillfoster
09-27-2012, 02:42 PM
I like this version the best.. but it's a very close copy production-wise, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTVWKQ3-vA

RossHolloway
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Indeed that is always a great performace when she mixes those two songs together

RossHolloway
09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
I like this version the best.. but it's a very close copy production-wise, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTVWKQ3-vA

You're joking right? While the instrumentation is respectable, vocally this version doesn't do the lyrics justice. lol Diana Ross' version is sung with passion and its sung as she would sing it to her lover. I've heard Diana's version a million times and it still gives me chills when I hear it. This version, not so much.

marv2
09-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Here is the acapella version of the song. It is clear that Diana Ross did not contribute a lot to the recording in my opinion. She most talked/read the lyrics and sang a few notes, made somoe yelping sounds etc. The choir and the musicians did most of the work. Give a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHFrP1zNu4

jobeterob
09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdF7VJSc6U&feature=related

jazzy j
09-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Here is the acapella version of the song. It is clear that Diana Ross did not contribute a lot to the recording in my opinion. She most talked/read the lyrics and sang a few notes, made somoe yelping sounds etc. The choir and the musicians did most of the work. Give a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHFrP1zNu4
Marv,
You are one bitter hag, really,quit being such a little bitch so much,
your really looking like a fool....

Roberta75
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM
You're joking right? While the instrumentation is respectable, vocally this version doesn't do the lyrics justice. lol Diana Ross' version is sung with passion and its sung as she would sing it to her lover. I've heard Diana's version a million times and it still gives me chills when I hear it. This version, not so much.

If Yoko Ono screeched Ain't Know Mountain High Enough like an alley cat jiilfoster would say it sounded better than Diana's version. LOL

Roberta

marv2
09-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Marv,
You are one bitter hag, really,quit being such a little bitch so much,
your really looking like a fool....

Excuse me? I beg your pardon?

marv2
09-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Sorry Rob but a 31 year old clip does not change the fact the vocals were just not there! Sorry, but without all of the backing voices and instrumentation, there is no song!

stephanie
09-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Ross is in fine voice here but I have to agree with Marv here. It was the background singers and the arrangement as well as the music that shot this song to number one. Ross talking in the beginning helped to sell the song but her singing didnt. All she is doing is talking and saying ....ahhhhh ahhhh, wooh woooh. Truth be told I never understood how this song charted as highly as it did I think it was the drama of the arrangement.

I love her voice but other than the talking interlude I have always felt that the music, production and the background voices made this song. Someday We Will Be Together is another story.

jazzy j
09-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Excuse me? I beg your pardon?
Fan or not, we here are sick of you bashing Diana, we all know Mary Wilson could not have done better, where is here hits, how many millions does she have, when does here hit CD comes out? Starting to think your Mary herself not Marv

nathanj06
09-28-2012, 07:11 AM
After 42 years this song still stands up and is a fantastic arrangement, vocal etc. It's still played all the time. The public loved it and took it to #1. I'm not a huge Diana fan anymore but I will certainly give her credit where it's due. Her debut album was beautiful from start to finish. I swear, some of you get fired up over nothing.

Off and runnin'...

RossHolloway
09-28-2012, 10:02 AM
@Stephanie -But couldn't you pretty much say that about ANY song? Take away the instrumentations, the arrangements and the background singers and there's not much left to ANY song. I think that's a ridiculous and crazy statement to make.

RossHolloway
09-28-2012, 10:07 AM

This is the special that made me fall in love with Diana Ross. To me this is Diana Ross at her peak. Five months after this show aired, I bought my first Supreme's album, and now I have everything that has been released by both The Supremes and Diana Ross.

marv2
09-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Fan or not, we here are sick of you bashing Diana, we all know Mary Wilson could not have done better, where is here hits, how many millions does she have, when does here hit CD comes out? Starting to think your Mary herself not Marv

I wasn't bashing Diana Ross. I was commenting on this song. I think you have some kind of deep seated issues or an unnatural emotional attachment to Diana Ross the person.

marv2
09-28-2012, 11:56 AM
@Stephanie -But couldn't you pretty much say that about ANY song? Take away the instrumentations, the arrangements and the background singers and there's not much left to ANY song. I think that's a ridiculous and crazy statement to make.

No, I think Stephanie is right. With this particular song, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", Diana Ross just talks mostly through it and the real musical portion is coming from the choir and musicians.

RossHolloway
09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
^ Go back and READ the very first post. The article quotes Nic Ashford, the songs writer, as saying that Diana has a very sexy speaking and singing voice and wanted to stretch that element of the song. Diana speaking thru the record is ONE of the elements that make the song memorable. "And I think still today, her version just feels like a masterpiece to me.”

I think most people see it Nic Ashford's and Valerie Simpson's way more so than you and Stephanie's way. Not to mention that it hit #1, sold millions and is still being played and talked about 42 years later. History certainly isn't on either one of your sides. lol

marv2
09-28-2012, 01:21 PM
"Disco Duck" by Rick Dees & his cast of idiots also hit #1 but that doesn't mean it was a good record. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell's original version was far superior.......they sang!

RossHolloway
09-28-2012, 01:26 PM
AGAIN, I'll favor my ear and my heart over your opinion. And you can't compare Marvin & Tammi's version to Diana's version because they're not the same. It's ok if you don't care for the song, that's your opinion, you're entitled to it. History has recorded Diana's version as a big #1 hit.

motony
09-28-2012, 01:49 PM
the part of the whole thang I don't like is the fact that when Diana Ross started having solo records the background singers got a bigger role in the recordings then the other Supremes ever got.My fave version of the song is the Marvin & Tammi original but the productions are like comparing apples to oranges.

jobeterob
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Motony raises an interesting point that was raised 30 years ago.

In the final years of the classic supremes, the supremes weren't on many of the records and on ones they were on, they were pushed way back in the mix.

And in 1970, on both Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin records, their background singers were more prominent than the Supremes ever got behind Diana...........as in Ain't No Mountain High Enough and I Say A Little Prayer.

Probably the sound changed and the producers went along with it all.

jillfoster
09-28-2012, 02:23 PM
If Yoko Ono screeched Ain't Know Mountain High Enough like an alley cat jiilfoster would say it sounded better than Diana's version. LOL

Roberta

Oh heavens no. Diana Ross can outsing Yoko Ono even if she was gagged. I just feel Diana's spoken parts are too overwrought, she recites them like a bad soap opera actress. Vikki's version is more natural in the vocal approach. But make no mistake, this version of the song is all about the production, and the vocalist is just secondary. When it comes to Diana, Vocally, "Remember Me" makes this sound like doggie doo.

nathanj06
09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
"Disco Duck" by Rick Dees & his cast of idiots also hit #1 but that doesn't mean it was a good record. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell's original version was far superior.......they sang!

Alot of songs you may not like go to #1. Disco Duck was a novelty and people bought it. That is a far cry from Ain't No Mountain. I like the Marvin & Tammi version too but the arrangements are totally different which is why Diana's stands out which I prefer. Marv, is it ok if someone has a different opinion than you?

marv2
09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Sure! and vice-versa! I just don't think we should place personal attacks on other forum members [[curse them and call them out of their name). I had a different opinion from this person JazzyJ and he lobbied an attack [[although a weak-kneed attack) on me. You understand?

stephanie
09-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I know I am in the minority and for anyone who has been on this forum they KNOW I am not a Ross basher I have all of her albums except for some of the RCA stuff I only have two of those [[I lost Workin Overtime which I dont miss) Aint no Mountain High Enough has never been one of my favorite Ross tunes. I personally think she has a good voice but IMO its the background singers and the music that make this I like Tammi and Marvins version better but hey I have the album so Motown got their money from me.

nathanj06
09-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Sure! and vice-versa! I just don't think we should place personal attacks on other forum members [[curse them and call them out of their name). I had a different opinion from this person JazzyJ and he lobbied an attack [[although a weak-kneed attack) on me. You understand?

It was a simple question and had nothing to do with an attack on you by someone else. Do you understand? Don't have a meltdown over it.

marv2
09-29-2012, 09:11 AM
It was a simple question and had nothing to do with an attack on you by someone else. Do you understand? Don't have a meltdown over it.

I am not having a meltdown, I am laughing at you LOL! I thought I had answered your question but apparently not, soooo.......

milven
09-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I wasn't bashing Diana Ross. I was commenting on this song. I think you have some kind of deep seated issues or an unnatural emotional attachment to Diana Ross the person.

I hope no one on the board points out that you may have the same kind of deep seated issue or an unnatural emotional attachment to Mary Wilson the person that you accuse Jazzy J of having to Diana :rolleyes:

milven
09-29-2012, 10:15 AM
... I just don't think we should place personal attacks on other forum members [[curse them and call them out of their name). I had a different opinion from this person JazzyJ and he lobbied an attack [[although a weak-kneed attack) on me. You understand?

I understand. What I don't understand is why in the past you have attacked me if I disagreed with you by telling me that I am stupid, don't know what I'm talking about, its none of my business, I don't need to know that. You understand?

milven
09-29-2012, 10:29 AM

It doesn't sound like much when separated from the superb production. But what we are hearing here is her reactions to the rest of the production. It's like listening to a one sided phone conversation. Doesn't make much sense unless you know what the person on the other phone is saying.

I prefer Vikki Carr's spoken part on her version over Diana's spoken part interpretation. Vikki speaks hers naturally like a conversation. Diana has unnatural pauses in her words to coincide with the music.

marv2
09-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I hope no one on the board points out that you may have the same kind of deep seated issue or an unnatural emotional attachment to Mary Wilson the person that you accuse Jazzy J of having to Diana :rolleyes:

NAhhhhh there's a difference. I've known Mary for years. I don't think this guy knows Diane at all. If he did, he would not have ANY attachment to her I promise! LOL!

marv2
09-29-2012, 11:19 AM
I understand. What I don't understand is why in the past you have attacked me if I disagreed with you by telling me that I am stupid, don't know what I'm talking about, its none of my business, I don't need to know that. You understand?

I've never cursed at you to my knowledge. Are you trying to pick a fight?

milven
09-29-2012, 11:43 AM

I never professed that you cursed at me. I said that when I say something that you disagree with, you call me stupid, or say that I don't know what I'm talking about. If I ask you a follow up question about something that you post, which may be unanswerable, you say that I don't need to know that or that it is none of my business. I never accused you of cursing at me. But you have an acute way of insulting me when you disagree with me. And then you accuse me of trying to pick a fight. I'm not. Are you? :[[

marv2
09-29-2012, 12:22 PM
I never professed that you cursed at me. I said that when I say something that you disagree with, you call me stupid, or say that I don't know what I'm talking about. If I ask you a follow up question about something that you post, which may be unanswerable, you say that I don't need to know that or that it is none of my business. I never accused you of cursing at me. But you have an acute way of insulting me when you disagree with me. And then you accuse me of trying to pick a fight. I'm not. Are you? :[[

I wasn't even talking to you TODAY so how in the hell am I trying a fight? Geez!

milven
09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I wasn't even talking to you TODAY so how in the hell am I trying a fight? Geez!

Actually, you asked me if I was trying to start a fight. I replied that I wasn’t and then asked you if you were trying to start a fight. Also, you are posting on a public board where we can all reply to a post even if it isn’t addressed to us. If it is private, then there is a place where you could have written a private note to the member. Our conversation in this thread was started by your below post, which was not addressed to me, but to another member. Here’s an instant replay.

nathanj06
09-29-2012, 12:54 PM

I see four posts by you that say "today" so clearly you have talked to milven. I also wanted to point out that I never said you didn't answer my question. What you came back with was sarcasm and childishness. It may help if you learned not to be so condescending when someone replies to you in a respectful way. I take it you know Diana Ross enough to call her Diane? That's been an inside joke on people for years. Many people, including myself, have met up with Mary Wilson numerous times. It doesn't mean she's my best friend. She's just a person as is Diana. I know this is pointless as you can't argue with a horse. I'll just stand by for your next rant. Peace out. :)

milven
09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I've already spent too much time on this, but I was just reading the STOP IN THE NAME thread and saw that another member was calling you out for calling him stupid because he disagreed with you. I'm seeing a pattern here. But I am not the moderator so all I can do is point it out. Below is the conversation for the STOP IN THE NAME thread

Some people just want to be stupid.

That's uncalled for. I don't believe that it's just Mary and Flo on the released version, but that doesn't make me "stupid." And I don't think that you are stupid because you disagree. And that's all I'll say about that.

marv2
09-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Actually, you asked me if I was trying to start a fight. I replied that I wasn’t and then asked you if you were trying to start a fight. Also, you are posting on a public board where we can all reply to a post even if it isn’t addressed to us. If it is private, then there is a place where you could have written a private note to the member. Our conversation in this thread was started by your below post, which was not addressed to me, but to another member. Here’s an instant replay.

You are trippin! My post :

" Sure! and vice-versa! I just don't think we should place personal attacks on other forum members [[curse them and call them out of their name). I had a different opinion from this person JazzyJ and he lobbied an attack [[although a weak-kneed attack) on me. You understand?
"

was in direct response to Nathan0j who was also sticking his nose in where it did not belong. Now I am not going to spend a whole lot of time going back and forth with you on this. JazzyJ cursed me and called me out of my name because he disagreed with my opinon of Diana Ross' record "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". Anyone that can read down this thread will see that.

smark21
09-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, back to Diana’s vocal on Ain’t No Mountain High Enough. Her spoken word vocal really does tread the line between campy melodrama and sincerely and emotionally affecting performance. Depending on my mood when I hear the song, sometimes I take it straight and sometimes It’s very camp. That might be another reason for its enduring popularity as one can enjoy the song on a number of levels.

milven
09-29-2012, 02:37 PM
You are trippin!
Perhaps I am trippin ! Cause here I am trying to post logically with you while you accuse people on a public forum that we are sticking our nose where it does not belong [[as you did above) or calling us stupid because we do not agree with you.

Keep on doing what you're doing to all of us on this forum. There will be no retaliation to you from the moderator. In fact, I'll probably be accused of being the trouble maker. Okay, I'm done. Gotta go "trippin"

Roberta75
09-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Perhaps I am trippin ! Cause here I am trying to post logically with you while you accuse people on a public forum that we are sticking our nose where it does not belong [[as you did above) or calling us stupid because we do not agree with you.

Keep on doing what you're doing to all of us on this forum. There will be no retaliation to you from the moderator. In fact, I'll probably be accused of being the trouble maker. Okay, I'm done. Gotta go "trippin"

milven, you seem like a nice and real responsible person so if I may, I'd like to offer you the following advice. Do yourself a favor and stick marv2 on ignore. He has neither a lick of shame and he act like a catty and mean schoolgirl. He loves to start trouble and then sit back while people who challenge him get banned.

He needs to pay attention to these words from the book of Proverbs.

"Here are things that that the Lord hates, that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers."

Think about those words and you'll see who he really is. Put him on ignore milven and you'll enjoy this forum a lot more.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

marv2
09-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I like Vikki Carrs version of the song better. She just does a better job with the lyrics and sounds warmer, more sincere than all that phony emoting and yelping going on in the Ross version.

diktatorship
09-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Wish marv2 would just stick to good posts [[eg Motown picnic footage, excellent) instead of wading into every catfight going on here. Think most people would agree these type of contributions simply diminish his standing on here.

nathanj06
09-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Roberta.

Roberta75
09-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the tip Roberta.

My dear Nathan, putting him on ignore will make this forum a much more enjoyable experience. Who needs all that negative energy?

My best wishes to you.

Roberta

jillfoster
09-30-2012, 01:21 AM
My dear Nathan, putting him on ignore will make this forum a much more enjoyable experience. Who needs all that negative energy?

My best wishes to you.

Roberta

Actually, it all went downhill when I deigned to mention that I thought Vikki Carr's version was better [[And so is Marvin and Tammi's). And you told me that I just trash everything Diana does, which is not true, because "It's My Turn" and "Remember Me" are two of the most sublime records around, and I've said that many times on this forum. I'm honest with my opinions, good and bad. And I have perspective. I can separate Diana's music with the fact that I don't think she is a good person. They are two different issues.

Roberta75
09-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Actually, it all went downhill when I deigned to mention that I thought Vikki Carr's version was better [[And so is Marvin and Tammi's). And you told me that I just trash everything Diana does, which is not true, because "It's My Turn" and "Remember Me" are two of the most sublime records around, and I've said that many times on this forum. I'm honest with my opinions, good and bad. And I have perspective. I can separate Diana's music with the fact that I don't think she is a good person. They are two different issues.

I never used the word "trash" anywhere in my posting jill foster.

Thank you.

Roberta

RossHolloway
09-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Roberta take your own advise when dealing with Jillfoster. She's in the same category as Marv2. They both thrive off of bashing Diana Ross, and simply come in threads about her to stir the pot and cause drama, their posts tend to be idiotic and childish. Like Jill knows enough about Diana Ross to have the opinion that she's not a good person. I mean seriously? As if DR owes her money or something. Marv and Jill both need to get a life. Anytime something nice or positive is written about Diana, they find their way in to say something completely negative. They both remind me of the spoiled child in the mall that throws a fit and continues to perform to get more attention. I think we're all better off to just ignore them both and not respond to ANYTHING that they post about. It will make for a much better and peaceful Soulful Detroit.

REDHOT
09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
The great thing about Ain't No Mountain High Enough is The Ashford And Simpson's production on it,and Diana's sexy speaking voice just makes it fit,this is Diana and Ashford and Simpson at they're best,what a great song,[[to me)
Please stay positive

jillfoster
09-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I never used the word "trash" anywhere in my posting jill foster.

Thank you.

Roberta

Yes, but you used words that mean exacty the same things. Saying that I would think Yoko Ono would sing the song better is tantamount to you saying that I would trash anything she does.

jillfoster
09-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Roberta take your own advise when dealing with Jillfoster. She's in the same category as Marv2. They both thrive off of bashing Diana Ross, and simply come in threads about her to stir the pot and cause drama, their posts tend to be idiotic and childish. Like Jill knows enough about Diana Ross to have the opinion that she's not a good person. I mean seriously? As if DR owes her money or something. Marv and Jill both need to get a life. Anytime something nice or positive is written about Diana, they find their way in to say something completely negative. They both remind me of the spoiled child in the mall that throws a fit and continues to perform to get more attention. I think we're all better off to just ignore them both and not respond to ANYTHING that they post about. It will make for a much better and peaceful Soulful Detroit.

I make all kinds of contributions in various areas, but you wouldn't know that since you only look at Diana Ross threads. The reason I say she is not a good person is because I don't feel drunk drivers are good people. And anytime that something good is said about Diana I come into the thread and say something negative? There are currently 6 threads about Diana on the first page of the Motown forum. I have posted in ONE of them. Get a grip, bitch.

RossHolloway
10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Do not feed the trolls this morning. Let them starve to death.

midnightman
10-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I was always reminded of Isaac Hayes' version of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" when I heard the full version of Diana's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...

captainjames
10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
RedHot I have to agree with you - the fact that Ashford and Simpson are not only the songwriting teams for this song for Marvin and Tammi and Diana but they produced both versions as well. They had good ears for making good music and finding that just right hook to make it a hit. Love it Love it Love it

The great thing about Ain't No Mountain High Enough is The Ashford And Simpson's production on it,and Diana's sexy speaking voice just makes it fit,this is Diana and Ashford and Simpson at they're best,what a great song,[[to me)
Please stay positive

RossHolloway
10-01-2012, 03:38 PM
RedHot I have to agree with you - the fact that Ashford and Simpson are not only the songwriting teams for this song for Marvin and Tammi and Diana but they produced both versions as well. They had good ears for making good music and finding that just right hook to make it a hit. Love it Love it Love it

Didn't Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol produce both Tammi's solo version of ANMHI as well as the duet with Marvin?

rod_rick
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Motony raises an interesting point that was raised 30 years ago.

In the final years of the classic supremes, the supremes weren't on many of the records and on ones they were on, they were pushed way back in the mix.

And in 1970, on both Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin records, their background singers were more prominent than the Supremes ever got behind Diana...........as in Ain't No Mountain High Enough and I Say A Little Prayer.

Probably the sound changed and the producers went along with it all.

Maybe it's my ears, but the only songs that I hear the Supremes pushed back in the mix was I Hear A Symphony and My World Is Empty Without You. All the other songs the Supremes and the Andantes are very audible.

reese
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Didn't Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol produce both Tammi's solo version of ANMHI as well as the duet with Marvin?

Yes, they did.

Ashford and Simpson's first production was AINT NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING.

Motown4Ever518
10-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Thinking back to 1970, back in Philly, when the song came on, as a fifteen year old, my associates and I thought the song intro was corny and made fun of it. There was a Diana TV special in 1976 which made me take notice of the song as it played well on the small screen. In 1980 the HBO special made me appreciate Ms. Ross as the superstar that she is, and I started really liking it. Having seen Ms. Ross a number of times after that, I look forward to that part of the show where she does the song. I must also say that that I am a huge A+S fan. Therefore, the creativity to take a song that was released only 3 years earlier and was a huge hit, and rework it, required tremendous courage, especially since, Reach Out and Touch, may not have generated the sales that Motown was looking for. The bottom line is that yes it was an outstanding production, easily in the top 5 of A+S productions. But who could have delivered the spoken word segment? In it's 6:22 glory it is a masterpiece, and it's not too shabby in it's edited form either.

midnightman
10-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Actually Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol produced the original version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". A&S produced the latter version themselves.

REDHOT
10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Who remember The Supremes And The Temptations doing the Marvin Gay And Tammi Terrell version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough,?i must say,they sound great together,
Please stay positive

jillfoster
10-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Do not feed the trolls this morning. Let them starve to death.

You mean Diana Ross actually EATS?

jobeterob
10-03-2012, 12:36 AM
There is some big radio station in NY that runs a Top 500 or so of all time and ANMHE has topped it many times.

marv2
10-03-2012, 08:36 PM
There is some big radio station in NY that runs a Top 500 or so of all time and ANMHE has topped it many times.

They do not play Diana Ross records on the radio in New York, I'm sorry.......

milven
10-03-2012, 11:29 PM
They do not play Diana Ross records on the radio in New York, I'm sorry.......

I listen to my own playlists in the car, but last week I listened to CBS FM Oldies Station for a while and they played Upside Down by Diana Ross. I remember being surprised because CBS FM moved its oldies audience forward into the eighties and removed much of the sixties music from its format and just about all of the fifties music. I guess it worked because they are the number two station in NYC.

marv2
10-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I listen to my own playlists in the car, but last week I listened to CBS FM Oldies Station for a while and they played Upside Down by Diana Ross. I remember being surprised because CBS FM moved its oldies audience forward into the eighties and removed much of the sixties music from its format and just about all of the fifties music. I guess it worked because they are the number two station in NYC.

But you know as well as I do that they do not play Diana Ross records on the stations here not even on the oldies shows like Felix Hernandez on Sundays.

milven
10-03-2012, 11:37 PM

Well, Mountain used to be near the top of The WCBS-FM TOP 500 Oldies list, but it is no longer there. On the last list which was played on Labor Day Weekend, Ain't No Mountain came in at 393.

For many years, In The Still Of The Night was the number one record on the list. In recent years, Hey Jude has been on top of the list.

I don't put much faith in lists - especially, the so called bible, BILLBOARD. WCBS format has progressively moved forward playing eighties music as oldies, abandoning fifties music and limiting sixties music. I don't know, but I suspect that this top 500 list is compiled by the station itself to fit its format and current audience who thinks of eighties and ninties music as oldies. So . as I said above. AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN, which used to be in the top ten of this list, is now number 393.

milven
10-03-2012, 11:44 PM
But you know as well as I do that they do not play Diana Ross records on the stations here not even on the oldies shows like Felix Hernandez on Sundays.

And yet, I just said that I heard Diana being played last week on CBS-FM, which is an oldies station and is located in NYC. :confused:

milven
10-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Here is the link for WCBS-FM TOP 500 Oldies [[http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2012/09/04/cbs-fms-top-500-labor-day-weekend-count
down-the-complete-list/)

Roberta75
10-04-2012, 12:43 AM
And yet, I just said that I heard Diana being played last week on CBS-FM, which is an oldies station and is located in NYC. :confused:

As the book of Proverbs rightly states:

"As a thorn goeth up into the hand of a drunkard, So is a parable in the mouth of fools."

You are trying to reason with one who is the completely and utterly unreasonable Milven.

Roberta

nathanj06
10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
As the book of Proverbs rightly states:

"As a thorn goeth up into the hand of a drunkard, So is a parable in the mouth of fools."

You are trying to reason with one who is the completely and utterly unreasonable Milven.

Roberta

You are so right Roberta. The human [[?) Wiki should write his own book of "perceptions". I didn't realize how a mouse in any given situation could live so long not to mention memorize every radio playlist in NYC. Where does one find the time. Someone of that caliber belongs in Guinness.

smallworld
12-31-2019, 05:01 AM
On what release did the short stereo version first appear?

reese
12-31-2019, 12:51 PM
On what release did the short stereo version first appear?

I think it was on her 1983 MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY.

benross
01-02-2020, 12:07 PM
I had the privilege of seeing Diana Ross during her initial tour as a solo act, just at the time Ain't No Mountain High Enough was settling into the #1 spot. I don't recall if she had any background singers; there were two male singer/dancers who performed with her on The Rhythm of Life, but she sang most, if not all, of the other songs, including Reflections, by herself. Her performance of the song that night was exuberant, perfect in every respect, and it gave her act a triumphant finale.

I also appreciate Claudine Longet's version of the song. Despite the fact that it is recorded mostly in French, it has an emotional resonance, urgency and vulnerability that register. Claudine's version of I'll Be There on the same album is also quite enjoyable.

Of course I very much liked the original version by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, but because the two interpretations are quite different, I cannot compare them line by line and say which is the superior version.

But I remember that I was absolutely stunned when I first heard Diana's studio performance, and that initial live presentation was overwhelmingly joyful for both her and her audience. Everyone knew in that moment that hers would be a long, highly successful, career. There was no question whatsoever.

lucky2012
01-02-2020, 12:14 PM
^ A memorable event for you! I, too, can appreciate and enjoy the Diana and Marvin & Tammi versions equally. Gotta check out Claudine Longet's interpretation.

smallworld
01-03-2020, 11:11 AM
I think it was on her 1983 MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY.

It also appears to be on the 20 Golden Greats comp from c. 1978. I suspect the short stereo version first appeared on the fifth volume of Motown Chartbusters, which had 8 tracks per side.