PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross #1????

test

davidh
09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
i was reading up on some other female singers who are claiming to be the most successful artists[[not that they are not) but i found that some claim to have the most #1's but they are counting songs that made #1 on various charts and not just Billboard,which i thought was the standard. so it got me thinking about how many #1' Diana Ross has had on various charts[[not counting the Supremes,for now).
so here is a few that i know of, if anyone knows of any others please feel free to add to the list
Aint No Mountain High Enough#1 pop
Im Still Waiting#1 uk
Touch Me In the Morning #1 pop
Last Time I saw Him #1 ac
Do You Know Where Youre Going #1 pop
Love Hangover #1 pop,dance soul
the Boss #1 dance
No One Gets The Prize #1 dance
Upside Down #1 pop
Coming Out #1 dance
Endless Love #1 pop
Swept Away#1 dance
Missing You #1 soul
Chain Reaction #1 UK
Take Me Higher #1 dance
......any others? not sure about the AC charts? thanks

Glenpwood
09-25-2012, 01:17 PM
If you just count numbers ones on the various charts in Billboard, the clear winner among women is Madonna. She's had 42 on the Dance chart alone! If you count Hot 100 number ones, she's tied with Mariah Carey if you count songs with the Supremes she sang lead on at 18 chart toppers. If you use the loop hole of songs her vocals are featured on she would have 20 and exceed Mariah thanks to her solo lines on We Are The World and the "I'm Coming Out" sample used on Notorious B.I.G's Mo Money Mo Problems.

reese
09-25-2012, 01:45 PM
I believe LAST TIME I SAW HIM was Billboard's #1 AC hit for 1974. And I'm sure there were some R&B #1s as well.

jobeterob
09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Last Time I Saw Him was the #1 AC song on Billboard for 1974 and it was also a #1 AC hit. There are several R & B #'1s.

I think there was a Classical Number 1 with Christmas in Vienna.

jobeterob
09-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Before appearing at the Apollo in 1965

jsmith
09-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Diana Ross #1???? ..... NO

jobeterob
09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
It's pretty hard to definitively state who is or isn't #1; the measurements differ; and measurements change over time; and the numbers of charts increased.

Suffice it to say, Ross is "in there" and in her day, was probably #1; just like Beyonce is now; Whitney was once; Mariah was; in different ways, Aretha was.

davidh
09-27-2012, 09:04 AM
i wasnt trying to say she was #1, it really depends on ones taste,i suppose. all the ladies are talented but i was commented on the facts of who had the most #1 singles. i think there were a few i missed as i believe there was a song from the Wiz that went to the top of the charts? and a few that may have been #1 AC or on the R@B charts. did IT'S MY TURN go to #1?.thanks for your input

reese
09-27-2012, 09:20 AM
i wasnt trying to say she was #1, it really depends on ones taste,i suppose. all the ladies are talented but i was commented on the facts of who had the most #1 singles. i think there were a few i missed as i believe there was a song from the Wiz that went to the top of the charts? and a few that may have been #1 AC or on the R@B charts. did IT'S MY TURN go to #1?.thanks for your input

A BRAND NEW DAY was #1 in a foreign country that I can't remember at the moment. IT"S MY TURN was a Top 10 pop hit. Its conceivable that it hit #1 on the AC chart, but I don't know for sure.

Glenpwood
09-27-2012, 10:53 AM
A BRAND NEW DAY was #1 in a foreign country that I can't remember at the moment. IT"S MY TURN was a Top 10 pop hit. Its conceivable that it hit #1 on the AC chart, but I don't know for sure.

It's My Turn stalled at eight or nine on Billboard AC if I recall correctly. It was caught up in a Nothing But Heartaches like chart jam around Xmas thanks to hits from Leo Sayer, Christopher Cross, Air Supply, ONJ/Cliff Richard, Neil Diamond, Streisand/Gibb, Eddie Rabbitt, and Barry Manilow. This was the period when pop and AC charts closely mirrored each other....

Jaap
09-29-2012, 05:14 AM

A BRAND NEW DAY was a #1 in both Belgium and the Netherlands. That is why the song was featured as the grand finale of Diana's Symphonica in Rosso concert in 2009... it's a big song here, but Ross clearly did not know the song very well.

WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE was also a #1 in both Belgium and the Netherlands. Interestingly, A BRAND NEW DAY and WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE are the only two #1 songs Ross had over here...

midnightman
10-01-2012, 01:38 PM
In her heyday, there wasn't too many female performers on top like that. Other than Barbra Streisand and Aretha Franklin, I don't recall another female performer who was as successful as Diana Ross. Even Tina Turner struggled for years before she left Ike Turner and she still didn't have but one number-one. Diana had about 19 #1 Billboard hits. This was before Madonna hopped on the scene. It's a generation gap. Now, she might be still in the top 5 [[it depends).

davidh
10-02-2012, 08:00 PM
diana ross #1? yes.