PDA

View Full Version : It's s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y...and my hat's off to three groups who became legends

test

arrr&bee
09-22-2012, 12:02 PM
I was just sitting here thinking[stop that snickering]about three groups whose success didn't come overnight but through hard work became soul legends...the manhattans who came roaring out of new york in[1964]with the classic[searching for my baby]and while they continued to stay on the charts with many great songs the real gold didn't come until[kiss and say goodbye]in[1976]...the moments who had a bucket load of great songs[sexy mama-not on the outside]but didn't hit gold until a name change[ray,goodman,brown]and a new lable[polydor]put them in the spotlight nationally with[special lady],,,and of course the spinners who toiled at motown dispite some nice songs[i'll always love you-truly yours]and one big hit there[it's a shame]didn't become household words until a move to[atlantic]i mention them because so many good groups fell through the cracks after minor success but these groups perservered and were rewarded for thier hard work,so my hat is off the these soul legends!!!

Jerry Oz
09-22-2012, 07:10 PM
All three groups are/were remarkable. I'm a huge Manhattans fan. Gerald Alston sang so many songs so well. It was often not the hits, but other songs on their albums that blew me away [["I'm Not A Runaround", "Forever By Your Side", and every song on the "Love Talk" LP). Good pick for this post.

The Moments were responsible for "Love On A Two Way Street" and I dare anybody to find a smoother-sung falsetto anywhere. The emotion of the song jumps off of the record and it has to be a favorite of anybody that ever listened to it. They morphed into Ray, Goodman, and Brown and introduced ol' skool harmonizing to the late-'70s/early '80s charts, when they could really use it.

Finally, the Spinners are the group that if they don't fit in your ranking of singing groups at number one, most definitely fall in the top five of everybody who objectively [[or subjectively) considers such a thing. They are as good as anybody that ever sang together; yes, that's a bold statement, but true.

nosey
09-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Jai, you are on the money as usual. Love, love, love the song, Loving You is Easier than Breathing by RGB and Gerald Alston can sing the phone book and still sound good.

marv2
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
I've met Gerald Alston at the old Sweetwaters in NYC. A very nice and humble guy. Talented too!