PDA

View Full Version : Where there's smoke......

test

Doug-Morgan
09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Don't think it's hit the national news, but [[cough) we've been putting up with this [[wheeze).....

.....for almost 2 weeks since a line of thunderstorms came through and set about 200 fires in a 4 county area stretching from Yakima through Ellensburg and Wenatchee to Omak, WA [[gag). Above is a daytime picture of Wenatchee's main drag. I'm about 8 miles south of there [[choke), and can't see across the Columbia River for all the smoke.

Now, having said that, I have much admiration for the folks who go out and fight these things. It's dangerous, hot, dusty work, but if it wasn't for them, there's a good chance Wenatchee would look a lot like the west side of Colorado Springs after the Waldo Canyon fire......

arrr&bee
09-22-2012, 01:15 PM
don't think it's hit the national news, but [[cough) we've been putting up with this [[wheeze).....

.....for almost 2 weeks since a line of thunderstorms came through and set about 200 fires in a 4 county area stretching from yakima through ellensburg and wenatchee to omak, wa [[gag). Above is a daytime picture of wenatchee's main drag. I'm about 8 miles south of there [[choke), and can't see across the columbia river for all the smoke.

Now, having said that, i have much admiration for the folks who go out and fight these things. It's dangerous, hot, dusty work, but if it wasn't for them, there's a good chance wenatchee would look a lot like the west side of colorado springs after the waldo canyon fire......wow doug,that's rough my hat too is off the the firefighters who risk life and limb everyday,good luck to you and all the citizens of your area.

ralpht
09-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Any updates Doug? Hope things have improved.

Doug-Morgan
09-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Some. I got a c hance this morning to do some [[paid) outside work I couldn't do 2 weeks ago due to the smoke. It all depends on both the winds and a persistant temperature inversion that has plagued the area. Yesterday, we had a breeze and the skys cleared, Today, it's ucky again.

As to the fires, they've got many of them contained. The big one between here and Ellensburg is still burning like heck, but at least they've got a handle on it, and no one at this point is threatened. Now having said that, there are still a couple dozen smaller fires that were set by the Sept. 8th thunderstorm that haven't been manned yet. Most of them are in the back country where they're not threatening any life or property, and the forest service is finally getting crews on them. They just plum ran out of people. If you scroll around this map on inciweb.....
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3258/
....north and south of it's main focus you'd see what I mean.

ralpht
10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the update, Doug. Hang in there.

Doug-Morgan
10-01-2012, 04:36 PM

A scenic view of the Cascade Mountains from the Wenatchee airport. We're looking at 40 mph winds this evening and tomorrow. Hope the firelines hold.....

ralpht
10-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Wow! Pretty murky, Doug.

Doug-Morgan
10-17-2012, 09:38 PM
IT FINALLY RAINED!!!! Saturday and Sunday. It 1) put a damper on the fires and 2) cleared the air of smoke. When the clouds lifted yesterday afternoon, we saw the Cascade foothills for the first time in over a month and they looked beautiful. Even had snow up there. At last, we've got air one doesn't have to chew.

ralpht
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Glad to hear it, Doug.