PDA

View Full Version : Why Michael Jackson Is The Top Touring Act in America, Again

test

jobeterob
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Dec 2011

Why Michael Jackson Is The Top Touring Act In America, Again
libelfreezone What a great review! Fair and balanced. Thank you, Forbes.mrkareemruiz Mandalay Bay Events Center will make them alot of cash!pendragon Awesome review of what sounds like an awesome show. Sounds like something Jackson himself would have very much approved of and I can’t wait to see it when [...]corlista Thank you, Zack, for once again writing a positive and supportive article about Michael Jackson. I always look forward to what you have to say.I saw the sh [...]Zack O'Malley Greenburg , Forbes StaffThanks for the kind words — I always try to be as objective as possible in all my reporting!ewburgess What a fantastic review. Wish I could have made it to Vegas but already have my ticket for Philly. You can bet I will be making a trek to Vegas to see the [...]Zack O'Malley Greenburg , Forbes StaffThanks for the kind words!beinginformed Great article about the show. I really enjoy your writing. I saw the show last night and it is amazing. The 360 degree surround sound of Michael Jackson’s [...]26 comments, 25 called-out + Comment now + Comment now
see photosPR NEWSWIRE
Click for full photo gallery: Michael Jackson's Financial Life After Death
Sammy Davis, Jr. once said that “everything Michael Jackson does on stage is exactly right.” The King of Pop indeed left some big leather loafers to fill, but judging by the crowd’s reaction at MGM’s Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Cirque du Soleil’s Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour is doing an admirable job.

Among those in attendance for Saturday night’s performance: Cee Lo Green, as well as Jay-Z and Beyonce Knowles. Seated within view of the reporters assembled to chronicle the show, the couple laughed and smiled as acrobats and dancers swirled across the stage–zombies popping out of coffins, contortionists emerging from giant books, even a performer dressed as a giant white glove–all while a live band blasted out the soundtrack beneath Jackson’s soaring vocals.

“We have all done our best to make this a celebration of his essence in his absence,” musical director Greg Phillinganes told me shortly after the show’s debut. “His passion for humanity … his commitment to excellence, his flair for the big show, we’ve tried to incorporate all those factors.”

Move up http://i.forbesimg.com t Move down
30 images
Photos: Top Earning Dead Celebs 26 images
Photos: The World's Highest Paid Musicians Sony-EMI Deal Reunites Jackson 5 Songs With MJ
Zack O'Malley Greenburg
Forbes Staff

Immortal is the highest-grossing live show in the country for the second week in a row, bringing in just shy of $2 million per night in Vegas. That’s over half a million dollars more than the next-highest earner, Taylor Swift, according to concert data provider Pollstar.

It’s all the more impressive given that the Jackson show has been parked at the 8,500-seat Mandalay Bay Theatre for much of December; Swift has been playing arenas more than twice that size, as Immortal will soon be doing when resumes its trek across the North America. An international leg is set to follow in late 2012.

A joint venture between the Michael Jackson estate and Cirque du Soleil, Immortal opened in October and is already approaching $100 million in ticket sales. That should come as no surprise, given the extraordinary spectacle that audiences witness with each performance.

The show begins with a spotlight illuminating a mime clad in all white; his shell-toed sneakers and backwards hat make him look more b-boy than sad clown. As he cozies up to an image of Michael Jackson that fills a giant video screen at the back of the stage, the pictures melts away to reveal the band, and a troupe of dancers streams onto the stage.

The mime serves as a guide throughout the performance, starting with Jackson’s early years and the song “Have You Seen My Childhood.” There’s a miniature hot air balloon and a Jackson Five montage complete with dancers dressed as Marlon, Tito, Jermaine, Jackie and Michael–oversized afros included. As the show continues, a replica of the Neverland gates rolls out, followed by performers dressed as Bubbles the Chimp and some of the other animals that once resided in Jackson’s private zoo.

jobeterob
09-19-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/michael-jackson-tour/tickets.aspx