PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Sept 18, 9P-12M ET: Scherrie & Freda Payne....LIVE!

test

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Hello, my fine folks! I've got a big show for you tonight. Live from the west coast...2 sultry sisters of song...2 magnificent maids of music...............................Detroit-born
Scherrie and Freda Payne.
Scherrie Payne...a member of Glass House on Invictus, member of the Supremes, solo star, is presently a member of the FLOS [[Former Ladies Of The Supremes) and member of Tour de 4Force. She is also a screen and playwright who's play "It Always Rains On Sunday" just opened to great success for it's 3 day run [[CONGRATULATIONS, SCHERRIE!)! Tonight will be Scherrie's 4th visit to "Nightflight"...and I'm as excited as the first time to have her join me.
Freda Payne [[Scherrie's sister)...jazz, pop and soul star, Invictus star with H-D-H has been recording since 1962 on MGM, ABC, Capitol and Volt. She is also a film and stage actress who was understudy to Leslie Uggams in the Broadway musical "Hallelujah Baby". This will be Freda's first visit to "Nightflight" and I am so very pleased to have her join me [[I have been such a fan of Freda's for so many years)! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FREDA!)!
Wait...we have one more guest!
Jim Saphin, without whom tonight's show with the Payne sisters would not be possible, has been a Supreme fan and a Supremes friend for many, many years. Jim was the first UK Supremes Fan Club president from 1966-1970. Jim's love and support of the Supremes continued from then up until today, as he has cultivated strong friendships with Scherrie and Freda, as well as Joyce and Pam Vincent and Theresa Davis and Jim Gilstrap of Tour de 4Force, of which Jim is the UK representative [[THANK YOU, JIM!)!
So do join us ALL tonight....for a TON o' FUN and more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks....and see you on the Radiola!
John
And thank you Freda, Scherrie and Jim!

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 08:39 AM

Scherrie, Jim and Freda!

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
I cherish what you'll do tonight
on your great NIGHTFLIGHT.
It brings the joy
back into my life.
At least on Tuesday nights.
[[The other nights are pretty much still up for grabs--
with the exception of Rich Rubino's SOUNDS OF AMERICA on Thursdays.)
But Tuesday nights always take off for the stars.
And tonight we run into 2 gorgeous stars along the way to the stars-- the sensational Scherrie Payne, the fantastic Freda Payne.
There's just no pilot error on NIGHTFLIGHT.
Thanks so much, John, for the great ride that's preparing for blast off.

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Here's a few questions for your guests if there's time:
--How was it for Freda working with HDH at the start of Invictus? And why did she depart after a few years?
--What was it like for Scherrie performing in the RTL Tour? The prep, the work, the rehearsals, the performing, the publicity, the aftermath.
Thank you.

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Looking forward to hearing Jim, Scherrie, and Freda on tonight's show. It should be a fun time.

Jim Bagley

Glenpwood
09-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi John,

Looking forward to an evening of Pleasure with you and the Payne sisters...

Send my best wishes to Freda for her birthday. Been playing her "Reaching Out" album to celebrate. I know HDH must have ignored the child labor laws when she recorded for them because still looks young and gorgeous!

Also send my best to Scherrie. She's such a beautiful phenominal woman and talent. "Another Life From Now" still gives me goosebumps when I play it and the new version of "Let Yourself Go" has been one of my fave singles this summer. I'd love to hear more about her new play and her creative process in writing for the stage if you'd be so kind to ask.... ;)

See you tonight!

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I cherish what you'll do tonight
on your great NIGHTFLIGHT.
It brings the joy
back into my life.
At least on Tuesday nights.
[[The other nights are pretty much still up for grabs--
with the exception of Rich Rubino's SOUNDS OF AMERICA on Thursdays.)
But Tuesday nights always take off for the stars.
And tonight we run into 2 gorgeous stars along the way to the stars-- the sensational Scherrie Payne, the fantastic Freda Payne.
There's just no pilot error on NIGHTFLIGHT.
Thanks so much, John, for the great ride that's preparing for blast off.

Well, Bruce....I don't know if that was poety prose or prosey poetry...but nonetheless, I am most appreciative of the thought...thank you for the very kind words. And thanks for the questions...I will do my best to address.

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to hearing Jim, Scherrie, and Freda on tonight's show. It should be a fun time.

Jim Bagley

Thanks, Jim...glad you'll be here, Philly!

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi John,

Looking forward to an evening of Pleasure with you and the Payne sisters...

Send my best wishes to Freda for her birthday. Been playing her "Reaching Out" album to celebrate. I know HDH must have ignored the child labor laws when she recorded for them because still looks young and gorgeous!

Also send my best to Scherrie. She's such a beautiful phenominal woman and talent. "Another Life From Now" still gives me goosebumps when I play it and the new version of "Let Yourself Go" has been one of my fave singles this summer. I'd love to hear more about her new play and her creative process in writing for the stage if you'd be so kind to ask.... ;)

See you tonight!

Hey there, Glen! Thanks and glad you'll be here! See you later, gator!

carlo
09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
I am very much looking forward to tonight's show. This has made my day! :)

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I am very much looking forward to tonight's show. This has made my day! :)

Hey there Carlo! Well, you joining the show has made My day [[*smile)!

carlo
09-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey there Carlo! Well, you joining the show has made My day [[*smile)!

Thank you Johnny. I am so excited. I think I will take out my straw hat and cane and do a little number! :)

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Scherrie, Jim and Freda!

I wish I was Jim in this picture! He looks very happy sitting there, well who wouldn't! Surrounded by s-o-o-o-o-o-o much loveliness. Looking forward to the show, John. See you all on the Radiola!:cool:

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
I wish I was Jim in this picture! He looks very happy sitting there, well who wouldn't! Surrounded by s-o-o-o-o-o-o much loveliness. Looking forward to the show, John. See you all on the Radiola!:cool:

I agree, my friend! And I wish I was you...because, geographically speaking, they are closer to you than to me! See you on that good ol' Radiola!

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 06:48 PM

So much loveliness? But Joseph, I WASN'T IN THE PHOTO!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
So much loveliness? But Joseph, I WASN'T IN THE PHOTO!

And neither AM I! LOL!!!!:) See you on the Radiola Bruce:cool:

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Yes....so much loveliness as you two...someone would have gotten HURT!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes....so much loveliness as you two...someone would have gotten HURT!

And we're talkin' Timi Yuro size "Hurt"!!!!:rolleyes::p:)

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 07:55 PM
And we're talkin' Timi Yuro size "Hurt"!!!!:rolleyes::p:)

HA ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! GREAT! And for me [[and Brenda) there would be a whole lotta "Crying Time"....OUCHHHHHHHH........

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 08:43 PM
As The Toys so succintly put it: ''Attack!''

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 08:58 PM
....in the studio!!! ....with flop-sweat!

lovechild
09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi Johnny Have a great show tonight and say hi to Scherrie, Freda and Jim for me. :)

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 09:01 PM
As The Toys so succintly put it: ''Attack!''

Make Love, Not War:)

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 09:02 PM

It is raining heavily here in PA. Don't let it rain on me, Scherrie.

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 09:02 PM

You'll do great Johnny! You always do!! Break a leg!!!:cool:

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 09:08 PM
You'll do great Johnny! You always do!! Break a leg!!!:cool:

Awwwwwwwwww....thank you, my friend.....THAT and a little XANAX will help!

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Your extended CHERISH is glorious.

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
You should be sweatin', John. Those Lewis Sistahs are tough cookies.

carlo
09-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Freda and Scherrie are both very lovely and classy ladies.

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the new version of Let Yourself Go.

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Magic's in the air! Scherrie and Freda will soon be here! It's magic!:cool:

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
HI Jim Saphin!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 09:26 PM
I love you, Scherrie.:)

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I remember Beverly Todd in Roots

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
I LOVE Judy Pace. Brian's Song. Three In The Attic.

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Can you ask Scherrie if there was an inspiration for writing "Don't Let It Rain On Me"?

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Please tell Scherrie her gorgeous voice, her undeniable beauty, her professionalism, her terrific RTL performance is all intact and shown in full force in the tour clips on YouTube. I watch them all the time. Scherrie is a superlative entertainer. Always will be.

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Happy Birthday Freda!:cool:

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Saw Freda perform years ago at the Venetian Room at the Fairmont Hotel in SF. Her voice, like Freda herself--sheer beauty. No doubt about it.

lovechild
09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Can you ask Scherrie if there was an inspiration for writing "Don't Let It Rain On Me"?

Good question Jim. I would like to know this too :)

lovechild
09-18-2012, 10:04 PM
LOl you go Freda!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Don't you dare deny Freda that mix!:mad:

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Did Freda get to go on in HALLELUJAH BABY?

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
And we need to "Bring The Boys Home" again.

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Don't you dare deny Freda that mix!:mad:

Joseph, I co-sign!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Joseph, I co-sign!

Comes the Revolution!

lovechild
09-18-2012, 10:31 PM
LOL you go Scherrie!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Tomorrow is Freda's 70th birthday?! No way!!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 10:39 PM
I should look so great and have accomplished as much by the time I hit 70. Looking good Freda, looking real good!:cool:

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 10:44 PM
"Don't Let It Rain On Me", what a great song. Man, I used to cut the rug to that one! Good times, good memories. Thank you.:cool:

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Thank you for playing "Don't Let It Rain On Me" John.

lovechild
09-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Happy Birthday Pam!

lovechild
09-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Thank you Scherrie and Freda :)

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Thank you Scherrie, thank you Freda! For this great interview, and for all the incredibly wonderful music by both of you that has meant so much to me for so long.:)

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Tone and I had tickets for RTL here in San Diego. We were heartbroken when the show was cancelled. The arena where they were to perform was nearly sold out. We just couldn't understand it. Thank you Scherrie for your insights, the way you explained things made perfect sense to me. Thanks again.:)

luke
09-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Great interview! I missed a bit of it. Did anything come up about how Cindy is? I know Jim is a friend of hers.

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you for having Jim, Scherrie, and Freda on the show. They were certainly in a festive mood by the end of the show.

Glenpwood
09-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Awesome interview John..... Shoot me a private message with your mailing address and I'll be happy to send you my extra copy of Cliff Richards Soulicious CD that Fredas on....

lovechild
09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Tone and I had tickets for RTL here in San Diego. We were heartbroken when the show was cancelled. The arena where they were to perform was nearly sold out. We just couldn't understand it. Thank you Scherrie for your insights, the way you explained things made perfect sense to me. Thanks again.:)
yes i still cant believe we didnt get to see the show and how many years have already passed by. Awesome show Scherrie, Freda and Jim thank you so much...

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Thank you for playing "Don't Let It Rain On Me" John.

Most welcome, Jim!!

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Sorry, guys...thanks for your being there.....

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Great interview! I missed a bit of it. Did anything come up about how Cindy is? I know Jim is a friend of hers.

Scherrie said, that Cindy came to see Scherrie's play this past weekend.

JimBagley
09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I have to sign off now John. I have testing early tomorrow morning. Thank you for a great show.

Jim

lovechild
09-18-2012, 11:29 PM
I have to sign off now John. I have testing early tomorrow morning. Thank you for a great show.

Jim night Jim good luck in the morning. Thanks for a great show JP. i am signing off too but will be lstening unitl the end. SDetroit keeps booting me ..

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:31 PM

Jim

Nighty night, Jim...thanks!

Methuselah2
09-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Oh, what a night! Great music right from the start. But that conversation with Scherrie and Freda was simply compelling, just riveting. You shied away from nothing. And neither did they. What an exchange! I was glued to the radio. And now, more great music. What a delicious show! Positively PepperPerrone. I'll have another slice, please. Loved hearing from Jim, too.

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:34 PM
night Jim good luck in the morning. Thanks for a great show JP. i am signing off too but will be lstening unitl the end. SDetroit keeps booting me ..

Thanks Tone.....take care!!!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Cindy and Scherrie

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Oh, what a night! Great music right from the start. But that conversation with Scherrie and Freda was simply compelling, just riveting. You shied away from nothing. And neither did they. What an exchange! I was glued to the radio. And now, more great music. What a delicious show! Positively PepperPerrone. I'll have another slice, please. Loved hearing from Jim, too.

Bruce...thanks so much.....I can't wait to listen to the show in a few months to see what actually happened [[*smile).....

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 11:37 PM
night Jim good luck in the morning. Thanks for a great show JP. i am signing off too but will be lstening unitl the end. SDetroit keeps booting me ..

'Night to both of you. I'll be keeping a good thought for tomorow Jim.:)

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Cindy and Scherrie

Oh, Joseph.............................thank you

carlo
09-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Fantastic show thus far, MJ! I really enjoyed the interviews with Scherrie, Freda and Jim. I especially enjoyed hearing Scherrie's side of the Return To Love Tour.

Also, one small correction: Scherrie Payne's "Hope" was not recorded recently. It was recorded in the 80's and only released recently as a bonus track on the Let Yourself Go remixes single. :) It's a great track!

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 11:40 PM

I'm just exhausted from tonight's fabulous show. It was so wonderfully intense. I'm like that guy "my chiffon is wet darling, my chiffon is wet. . . ". :rolleyes::cool:

sophisticated_soul
09-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Oh, Joseph.............................thank you

Closing night of Scherrie's play.

George Solomon
09-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Great show, John!

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Fantastic show thus far, MJ! I really enjoyed the interviews with Scherrie, Freda and Jim. I especially enjoyed hearing Scherrie's side of the Return To Love Tour.

Also, one small correction: Scherrie Payne's "Hope" was not recorded recently. It was recorded in the 80's and only released recently as a bonus track on the Let Yourself Go remixes single. :) It's a great track!

Thanks Carlo...and for the correction...I appreciate it!

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm just exhausted from tonight's fabulous show. It was so wonderfully intense. I'm like that guy "my chiffon is wet darling, my chiffon is wet. . . ". :rolleyes::cool:

......my...my....and I KNOW what you mean!!!

midnight johnny
09-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Great show, John!

Well, George....how nice!!!! And thank you. So glad we could arrange things...I would hate to do the Oct 2 show without you.

carlo
09-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Where can I find this piano version of Stoned Love? It's fantastic!

Thank you for the wonderful show, as always, Midnight Johnny!

sophisticated_soul
09-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Closing night of Scherrie's play.

I would have posted it earlier, but in the excitement I forgot I had it! :cool:

Methuselah2
09-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Joseph, oh yes--Monte Rock III.

John, thank you so much. A truly thrilling evening of NIGHTFLIGHT.

luke
09-19-2012, 12:22 PM
thx much ss.

sophisticated_soul
09-19-2012, 03:19 PM
thx much ss.

Your welcome.:cool:

luke
09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I loved alternate version of Band of Gold!! Wish Scherrie didnt have to wait to put her p lay on again. I missed the RTL discussion. Can anyone share it? As she and Mary seemed to have mended fences Im assuming it wasnt too conflictual.

midnight johnny
09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I loved alternate version of Band of Gold!! Wish Scherrie didnt have to wait to put her p lay on again. I missed the RTL discussion. Can anyone share it? As she and Mary seemed to have mended fences Im assuming it wasnt too conflictual.

Luke...I'll try to encapsulate Scherrie's thoughts and feelings. She couldn't have said nicer things about Diana's professionalism and attitude toward Lynda and Scherrie, and that all the negative things that have been said about Diana have been totally wrong. She basically gave the history of the planning of the tour, that first it was a Diana tour and then someone suggested it become a Supremes reunion, with all of them, which Diana was all for. Members of the Supremes were to meet in NY for a photoshoot, but that got cancelled, due to a storm closing the NY airport. And she said the next thing she knew, negotiations that Diana's lawyers were attempting with Mary and Cindy fell through. She said Diana was saddened and tearful about Mary and Cindy not being part of the tour. Scherrie said nothing more about Mary and Cindy related to the RTL tour. She did talk about the wonderful experience RTL was up until when the show was cancelled due to an inability for the promoters to work out an agreement on exclusivity. She said Diana was most upset about not being able to continue the show, as it gave so many folks jobs who would lose them due to the cancellation. Scherrie was very kind, but candid about her memories of that experience.
Hope this helps, Luke!
John

luke
09-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Thx MJ. Keep up the great work!

midnight johnny
09-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Thx MJ. Keep up the great work!

Thanks so much, Luke!

revvy
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
I just listened to the interview here:

https://soundcloud.com/motown_jim/john-perrone-interview-with

Scherrie and Freda seem like delightful ladies. I just love how Scherrie states that Diana teared up during the RTL tour because Mary and Cindy couldn't be with them as "ONE" on stage. Boo hoo :[[ What a bunch of baloney. I wonder how come, Diana? Maybe because you and the promoters screwed them out of a fair deal? They [[all living Supremes) never were "ONE". Funny how she never cared about that before. Diana quote on 20/20: "I know in my heart it would be very hard for me to work with her onstage. At some point, I need to let go." Hmmm......

I am, however, glad that Scherrie's play was a sold-out success. She has earned that accolade as a terrific playwright.